g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Antonio Valencia image 25

Antonio Valencia Ecuador flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffBoomTetris

I would agree with that if you swapped the names Valencia and Shaw.

I thought Shaw was excellent defensively. He ran out of steam a bit late on but I thought he had a really good game. The best of the back 4 defensively by a long way.
Most of the people will agree, however, that Valencia was the only player yesterday other than Herrera, Rashford & Rooney who were trying their hardest.

I am not sure Shaw had a good game. He was limited to defending and couldn't get into attacking positions to really hurt City's defence. And Iheanacho goal came after Blind and Shaw collectively failed to track KdB.

POF

Most of the people will agree, however, that Valencia was the only player yesterday other than Herrera, Rashford & Rooney who were trying their hardest.

I am not sure Shaw had a good game. He was limited to defending and couldn't get into attacking positions to really hurt City's defence. And Iheanacho goal came after Blind and Shaw collectively failed to track KdB.
I don't think there was a player on the pitch on either team who didn't try their hardest.

Sigma

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-scholes-slams-daley-blind-8816854

And Scholes gets paid to spout this nonsense - criticising Valencia in the Man City game (he doesn't actually give any criticism of the game):

As for Valencia, he’s not a right-back. He never will be, regardless of how good his form is at any one time.

But Matteo Darmian hasn’t got a sniff yet and there are different questions to ask about whether Timothy Fosu-Mensah is ready to start right there, so it’s a more difficult situation.

Devil81

Thought he was doing well in the first few games, but now it's clear the imbalance he's bringing to the defence.

We've got problems everywhere though.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Thought he was doing well in the first few games, but now it's clear the imbalance he's bringing to the defence.

He's not that bad defensively (I've always questioned his positioning), however, he's beyond useless going forward.

Sigma

What are you talking about? The goal when he was on the pitch came from Shaws side and when he left we conceded 2 more goals.

His performance was fine, better than most today.

Some people are just waiting until he makes a mistake...

3KDré

Has been one game. Chill out guys. He was consistently voted as one of our best players in the games before this one. IMO we've no problem with Valencia and Shaw in the side. I would like to see Varela come in next season though.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Our main attacking outlet for the last few years. It's quite telling how much space opposition teams are willing to afford him on the right-hand side, obviously they know how Rooney can't resist that pass.

Not Valencia's fault by the way, in a team with a properly balanced attack he could actually be quite an attacking asset.

facund

His crossing (or attempts to work space for a cross) were shite today but he was one of the only willing runners and at least consistently tried to do what he could. Quite often he was left to try to beat two men (never gonna happen) and/or offered no option from his teammates whatsoever but to do his patented 'stop, shuffle and run' trick.

I'm no fan of him at RB (or anywhere these days) but he has been reasonably good so far this season and although he underwhelmed today he outperformed the majority of the team.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Valencia's like a robot with outdated software and broken viewfinder. It's more of a compliment than a criticism. Pity we can't service him...

Devil81

What are you talking about? The goal when he was on the pitch came from Shaws side and when he left we conceded 2 more goals.

His performance was fine, better than most today.

Some people are just waiting until he makes a mistake...
I've not actually really criticised him, we've all be discussing where the issues that are blighting our team are coming from.

Personally, for me, we'd have a better balance if we actually had a defensive minded full back who could support a little bit better than a converted winger. Valencia offers us work rate and pace, but he lacks the defensive abilities a player who's used to playing a position has.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
There was a story today in The Sun*** about him cheating on his wife with some Norwegian nurse after the derby.

Saw it on a football site, not a sun reader.

Sigma

I've not actually really criticised him, we've all be discussing where the issues that are blighting our team are coming from.

Personally, for me, we'd have a better balance if we actually had a defensive minded full back who could support a little bit better than a converted winger. Valencia offers us work rate and pace, but he lacks the defensive abilities a player who's used to playing a position has.
No he doesn't. Go watch the first half again, there were quite a few instances in which he showed great awareness/positioning. Fact is, he's been better than Shaw but people only see some of his failed crosses and judge a defensive player on an attacking aspect of his game. Fact is he is a right back now, judge him as a right back - not a winger

Devil81

No he doesn't. Go watch the first half again, there were quite a few instances in which he showed great awareness/positioning. Fact is, he's been better than Shaw but people only see some of his failed crosses and judge a defensive player on an attacking aspect of his game. Fact is he is a right back now, judge him as a right back - not a winger
So in your eye's it's ideal having a converted right winger at full back?

We've clearly got fluidity issues and this couldn't at all be contributing to it?

Sigma

So in your eye's it's ideal having a converted right winger at full back?

We've clearly got fluidity issues and this couldn't at all be contributing to it?
I couldn't care less that he was a winger, he's a right back now and he's doing a good job.

Kolarov is basically a centre back now and although it's only 5 games jnto the season, he's doing well.

Bastian wasn't always a centre midfielder.

We have issues, the lack of a deep lying playmaker and constant starting of Rooney are the issues. Valencia is about as big a worry for us as Shaw is, none.

Devil81

I couldn't care less that he was a winger, he's a right back now and he's doing a good job.

Kolarov is basically a centre back now and although it's only 5 games jnto the season, he's doing well.

Bastian wasn't always a centre midfielder.

We have issues, the lack of a deep lying playmaker and constant starting of Rooney are the issues. Valencia is about as big a worry for us as Shaw is, none.

Don't agree, I think they are all contributing factors.

Bwuk

He's not a right back, and he's never looked comfortable there. He relys on his physical abilities rather than his positioning too much.

It's not his fault he's been played constantly out of position. I'd rather him on the wing than the likes of Lingard and Young.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Sigma

Just seen this. Tbh, given the length of the article, it sounded like a five minute chat at the bar rather than a structured interview and I really wouldn't read too much into it.
Yeah, your probably right

Sigma

In 75 minutes without him, we have now conceded 3 goals

We had conceded 4 goals in the previous 5 games Valencia played in

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Valencia just crossed with his left foot, and it was a decent one at that. WTF?
They always look decent actually with his left foot. Maybe its because I just expect him to miss the ball with it

Raw

That cross he absolutely smashed across the face of goal though, could have took Ibra's head off :lol:

Kag

Poor defensively today. Was slow getting out for the goal and his bad first touch should have led to a goal inside the first ten minutes.

A good outlet going forward, mind you.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Both fullbacks had good games I thought, the goal came down his side, but it was Lingard who had picked up Gray for that particular shot.

Devil may care

Could have had a couple of assists today and kept tighter to Bailly that he did against Watford, good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.