Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulscholes18

Do you even read? Here I'll try my best to make you understand. If you think Valencia's crossings were shocking today. How are you going to describe other player's crossings who clearly so much worse than what Valencia did in that game such as Martial and Walcott. Your definition of 'shocking' is actually shocking me.
Let me explain to you so you can understand, his crossing is non existent

Also WTF has Martial got to do with anything?

Mike09

Let me explain to you so you can understand, his crossing is non existent
How were they non existent when the cross were dangerous against Arsenal's players? If there were more of our players in the box when Valencia crossed, we could have scored more.

paulscholes18

How were they non existent when the cross were dangerous against Arsenal's players? If there were more of our players in the box when Valencia crossed, we could have scored more.
More players may of helped but still need to get the ball near the player/ players you're aiming at, in the Southampton game Cedric only had Austin to aim for in the box and got it right on his forehead.

Mike09

More players may of helped but still need to get the ball near the player/ players you're aiming at, in the Southampton game Cedric only had Austin to aim for in the box and got it right on his forehead.
Valencia did hit his cross to our player as well a few times I didn't watch Southampton vs Liverpool game but I wonder how many Liverpool players were in the box at that time compared to Arsenal players when we launched our crossing.

donkeyfish

Phenomenal game today. Crossing requires a recipient, which we didn't have.

Rashford, Pogba and Valencia all had decent crosses today, but the dangerous areas just doesn't have attackers.

Our strikers need to run towards the first post from time to time, in pressed situations they often end up there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I remember people wanted him sold as he was useless and couldn't cross they said. He is a beast and always gives everything for United. A manager's dream.
I was one of those people and I stand by that opinion, it's taken far too long for him to settle into the role and we could and should've replaced him with a younger player who already knew how to place the position.

But that is in the past and his ineffectual years are now behind us. He's comfortably been our best defender this season, performed again today too.

buckooo1978

One of the best things about how good he has been is that he's allowed Mata to have a free role... Mata and float and Valencia dominates that flank

Loublaze

ATLien
So frustrating how he would take the ball past Monreal with ease, sometimes from a standing start, and then just stop dead or pass the ball back to Mata. Strength and speed wise he looked back to his first-season best, but he seems terrified to do something that might lead to a goal.
I don't know about that. He seemed to make the right decision most of the time, and I remember him even shouting at Herrera after he took that half volley that sailed way over the bar. He was hungry as fvck

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Valencia in... Performing Well Shocker. He's a quality RB, the end. Still can't believe he still get's judged on a few crosses by some.
I swear if we brought in some muppet signing for 50+mill at RB and they'd be having the exact same season Valencia is to date, the same haters would be creaming their pantaloons.

He's the least of our worries. He could be better with his end product and his defensive positioning but he is so crucial in our general buildup play down the right side.

Mourinho does need to figure out how to cover for him defensively though. A few times Rojo had to get over to cover when Valencia was caught up front. Nothing wrong with him attacking but surely the LCB isn't the one being instructed to get across to the right flank.

dogwithabone

Valencia stood a couple of great crosses up yesterday but no one on the back stick. I'd like to see him put a few more first time crosses over, he does have a tendency to want to go on the outside rather than cross on the run as the likes of Neville used to do.

POF

My unpopular point is that today's goal against us was down to Valencia.

The guy was amazing and MOTM but in all honesty, RB like Neville helped their CB's to defend in crossing situations & Valencia still lacks it in this department. We are sometimes so excited by his ability to attack- we some forget that he is just above decent in the ability to defend. He isn't rock solid & far from it. He is good enough for now but if we have some youngsters coming through I think it's good to start intergreating them in
I wouldn't say he was completely at fault but he certainly could have done better. It was 2v2 on the back post which made Giroud his man. He was never going to win that header in a million years but a more natural defensive full back would have got his body across. Denis Irwin was brilliant at that (occupying the space so a much taller attacker couldn't get to the ball in the air).

It's just the trade off you have to accept with Valencia. You won't find many full backs who have the energy to provide width in every attack and have natural defensive instincts. His energy is incredible and allows the right sided attacker complete freedom to drift inside.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
JOSE REVEALS LONG-TERM VALENCIA ADMIRATION

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is not surprised by Antonio Valencia’s fine form this season, revealing he tried to sign the Ecuadorian during his time as Real Madrid head coach.

Although Valencia was operating largely as a winger for United during Jose's time in Spain, the boss saw our no.25 as the perfect candidate for the right-back position in the star-studded Real side he managed between 2010 and 2013.

"I tried to sign Antonio a number of years ago, when I was at Madrid," Mourinho told MUTV. "Even though he was not playing right-back at the time, I thought he could be phenomenal in that position. As it was, United told me 'no chance!'"

The Portuguese's words ring true when attributed to Valencia's form in the current campaign. Either side of the fractured arm that kept him out for three games recently, the 31-year-old has produced a number of powerful, yet controlled displays at right-back.

"I am not surprised by his form this season," Mourinho continued. "He has been clean of injuries, save for an operation on his arm which did not keep him out for long, and I have also been able to keep him fresh by resting him in certain Europa League games.

"I think he is the right-back to give us the maximum we can in terms of our attacking football."

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
But top Caf minds have been preaching he's not good enough and needs replacing ASAP, now I don't know what to believe.

devips

`Real Madrid? Can't be true. He won't get into any of the top 6 PL teams. So says Redcafe wise men.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I remember Madrid tried to buy him when he was at Wigan too, can't remember if Jose was coach back then though.

ivaldo

But top Caf minds have been preaching he's not good enough and needs replacing ASAP, now I don't know what to believe.
This season, a very good season might I add, doesn't cover up his severe feck ups of seasons past.

As of right now I'm happy with him, but would I have preferred us investing the years we did on converting Valencia into a right back on some young defender who already knew how to play the position? Absolutely.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
This season, a very good season might I add, doesn't cover up his severe feck ups of seasons past.

As of right now I'm happy with him, but would I have preferred us investing the years we did on converting Valencia into a right back on some young defender who already knew how to play the position? Absolutely.
We kind of did with Rafael but Valencia emerged as the better RB.

devips

Rafael was not always injured. That's another myth Cafe have created.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Rafael was not always injured. That's another myth Cafe have created.
Depends what period you're talking about. There were long stretches he had issues.

ivaldo

He was very injury prone that's true, but we did try to develop a young player in his natural position. Valencia has earned his position in my opinion by playing better than other players that have vied for his spot.
Ok that's fine, so 4 years on he's now rightfully earned his positon at right back, unfortunately he's 31 years old now.

ivaldo

:lol: That is unfortunate. Still he's playing better than a lot of the youngsters in the team at present.
True. I've been one of his biggest detractors over recent years but i've now no issues with him being in the side every week, it's the time and resources spent getting him there which Ive always had a problem with. Still, happy for him, he's a great bloke and has never been anything but commited.

Rossa

An assist today - really great second half. His approach was a little apprehensive in the first half, probably down to them having two very fast players on their left side, but then he just dominated them and bombed forward. Crossing with his left, running past players for fun, great passing and amazing first touch - I don't get how some still don't rate him.

Devil may care

I actually thought compared to his recent barnstorming performances he was a bit subdued in the first half tonight, but overall another good performance.

The White Pele

Didn't think he was as good tonight as he's been recently. But if this was his bottom level he's one hell of a right-back.

Sylar

Shame there arent more posts discussing him. Given the injury hes had, the stick hes had at times, the fact that for so long he wouldnt even use his left foot too. Hes done so well to make the RB position his to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.