g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Antonio Valencia image 25

Antonio Valencia Ecuador flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

3KDré

Just one of those players now. You never need to worry about him offensively or defensively. Just one less problem for Manchester United.

I actually can't remember the last time anyone got any joy down our right flank. Has anyone played well against him recently? I can't remember.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good to see him getting assist. Wouldn't swap him for any RB in the league.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Just one of those players now. You never need to worry about him offensively or defensively. Just one less problem for Manchester United.

I actually can't remember the last time anyone got any joy down our right flank. Has anyone played well against him recently? I can't remember.
Yep it's great to have a player that you don't need to worry about whether they'll play well or not, whether they'll be fatigued, do somethin stupid or likely to get injured. It's like having a robot at right back

RB7N

Gray gave him a run for his money today. Pogba and Bailly was covering most of the time though so it didn't become dangerous.

M Bison

Supports
York City

I agree, I tend to not even focus on him as I just know he's going to deal with whatever's thrown at him.

Fantastic player, and a great asset to the team.

Sylar

I think most of this forum wanted him gone like a year or two ago (well maybe not gone but were thinking he shouldnt be starting or something). Cant remember fully.

Anyway, yeah he was brilliant. His assist for his goal was brilliant and is something I think he could / should be doing more. Not meant as a criticism today, but more that hes capable.

Womp

idiot
I think most of this forum wanted him gone like a year or two ago (well maybe not gone but were thinking he shouldnt be starting or something). Cant remember fully.

Anyway, yeah he was brilliant. His assist for his goal was brilliant and is something I think he could / should be doing more. Not meant as a criticism today, but more that hes capable.
I was in that group, he was a decent RB but was getting skinned by top players and was prone to the occasional brainfart and terrible bad positioning, he has improved leaps and bounds this season though.

TehRed

I can understand the talk around looking at maybe signing Semedo considering we don't have very much backup for right-back, but Tony is playing very well this season and it would be a bit of a shame if he was ousted from a starting spot next season if we did sign Semedo because he has been playing well and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

NinjaFletch

Thankfully he's a better player now than he was then.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Interesting table in there for those that suggest his crossing is poor compared to others. He's had the most crosses in the league (presumably from open play) and the best completion % of the top 10 (at least).

roonster09

Scout
Interesting table in there for those that suggest his crossing is poor compared to others. He's had the most crosses in the league (presumably from open play) and the best completion % of the top 10 (at least).
I was arguing about Valencia on other forum when few thought he was breaking down all our attacks and his crosses never finds the target.

From the Premier league official site these are the cross completion percentage for few full backs and players who play in wide positions.

Valencia - 29%
Mata - 25%
Darmian - 22%
Mkhitaryan - 19%

Ozil - 26%
Bellerin - 19%
Monreal - 10%

Willian - 32%
Moses - 13%
Alonso - 14%

Baines - 25%
Coleman - 18%

Milner - 17%
Lallana - 21%
Mane - 12%
Clyne - 22%

Sagna - 5%
Clichy - 31%
Zabaleta - 15%
Jesus Navas - 15%
Sane - 18%
David Silva - 24%
De Bruyne - 30%

Walker - 15%
Rose - 22%
Lamela - 38%
Eriksen - 20%

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Crosses have never been an efficient use of the ball. Beckham was a freak who has probably distorted our perception of them. I'd also bet they are even less efficient now that every centreback seems to be 6'2 at least and teams in recent years have been drilled and setup to defend as a unit more than ever before.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I was arguing about Valencia on other forum when few thought he was breaking down all our attacks and his crosses never finds the target.
Not surprising. The problem is that people only remember the highlights of other players, they are not annoyed by every missed cross like when watching our own.

roonster09

Scout
Crosses have never been an efficient use of the ball. Beckham was a freak who has probably distorted our perception of them. I'd also bet they are even less efficient now that every centreback seems to be 6'2 at least and teams in recent years have been drilled and setup to defend as a unit more than ever before.
They are not efficient as we don't play them early. Back then it took one pass from Scholes to set the winger free and we played crosses before the defense was in position. Now we play crosses when the defense is set and there are at least 6-7 defenders in the box which is a very poor tactic.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
They are not efficient as we don't play them early. Back then it took one pass from Scholes to set the winger free and we played crosses before the defense was in position. Now we play crosses when the defense is set and there are at least 6-7 defenders in the box which is a very poor tactic.
It's rare these days to find a moment when 6-7 defenders aren't in the box. It's up to us to find an alternative route.

roonster09

Scout
It's rare these days to find a moment when 6-7 defenders aren't in the box. It's up to us to find an alternative route.
Yeah, we don't move the ball forward quickly so we are always up against number of defenders. Like you said, crossing the ball is not efficient play especially when defenders are in position and organised.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Those stats do surprise me a bit I have to say. Although I wonder what the percentage of crosses for each player in the table that have led to clear cut chances, if it's even possible to get results for that. A few of Valencia's ones would would be deemed as a successful cross but the player on the end of it could only try head it back across goal for someone else at best. Like his first cross for our goal against Liverpool, it counts as successful but in truth it was a terrible cross that Rooney did really well to make something of.

Fracture90

Terminator doing his usual and crating chances, not his fault we're wasteful as fek.

Seriously I'm not joking MI6, Scotland Yard or whateva should do a check on this dude, he's not human.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wouldn't take any other right back in the world over him. Seriously. His form this season makes him the best right back around.

3KDré

He's got more intelligence than he is given credit for. It's not just his physique that means he is always in the same place at the same time EVERY single time. His first touch is excellent and he never loses the ball, always knowing exactly where to pass to keep the ball.

Sylar

Hes got one of the best first touches at United too. Dude is a machine

Mike09

Disappointed when he got a yellow. I thought he got the ball or may be I need to see it again.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's a beast. He owns that right side on his own. Reminiscent of Dani Alves in his prime.

And his 1st touch might be the best in the team. Even better than Mata's maybe. He rarely bobbles a pass.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Remember that time I said how good he was and how good he would be this year?

Yeah good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.