g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Antonio Valencia image 25

Antonio Valencia Ecuador flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Him and Bailly were not on the samne wavelength for a good chunk of that first half, you could drive a Mack truck through the gap between them at times. Much better in the second half when we switched to the 4-2-3-1 and Herrera was playing closer to him and offering cover.

Robbie Boy

He wasn't too good on the ball tonight and not his best game. He wasn't bad but not as good as he has been this season.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He wasn't too good on the ball tonight and not his best game. He wasn't bad but not as good as he has been this season.
His crossing wasn't good but he made some decent runs and opened space. Not his best game though, but it happens.

Robbie Boy

His crossing wasn't good but he made some decent runs and opened space. Not his best game though, but it happens.
His off the ball movement was good yeah but on the ball, he was relatively poor.

Exactly, he's been excellent all season so one ok-ish game - not a horror show by any stretch of the imagination - won't change that.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He should have had an assist for Lingars,easily.
That was a simple pass he couldn't mess up really. If he did it would be another one of those he should have done better. Deflected shot should have actually been a criticism, he took ages to decide and to generate the power in that shot and then they blocked him because if that. Should have been much more dangerous than that.

However, not many fullbacks create more than he does or offer more in attack.
Not many fullbacks have the freedom he has.

Sylar

Better second half, especially as we were pushing forward, but some of his crosses were... well weird.

His first half though, after the first time he was caught out you would think he would take a bit more care to ensure there wasnt loads of space behind him.

Not his best game, but forgivable

Rossa

That was a simple pass he couldn't mess up really. If he did it would be another one of those he should have done better. Deflected shot should have actually been a criticism, he took ages to decide and to generate the power in that shot and then they blocked him because if that. Should have been much more dangerous than that.

Not many fullbacks have the freedom he has.
You have clearly made up your mind when the good things are played down due to an "easy" pass - you still have to see it and time it. Then when things are not 100% he either takes too long or something else.

One reason he gets into those positions is his timing and downright speed. I doubt, with whatever freedom many fullbacks get into those positions in the first place. He is vital to our attacks.

MuranoLover

I hope everyone has read his recent story.

You can really see it is his battle of life every time he is on the pitch.

I am very happy he has this life, he has fought for it with all his heart.

Rossa

His cardio is insane. Seems to run harder in the closing minute of a game when everyone else is fecked.
Indeed, but he genuinely looks more lively and even faster in those last 20 minutes of every game. Lately he has seemed a little reluctant getting forward in the first half, but in the second half he's a monster. They had no idea how to stop him in those last 20 mins.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Indeed, but he genuinely looks more lively and even faster in those last 20 minutes of every game. Lately he has seemed a little reluctant getting forward in the first half, but in the second half he's a monster. They had no idea how to stop him in those last 20 mins.
The game gets a bit stretched and (normal) players get a bit leggy as they run out of juice. Antonio's a machine, though. Seems to up a gear, if anything.

Adam-Utd

He isn't speeding up, rather the other players are slowing down. His stamina is so good that he continues running at his usual pace where everybody else is tired and can't continue chasing him.

Jesus though his crossing is so frustrating. I don't believe that stupid graphic saying he's the most consistent crosser it just can't be true. 2/3 times tonight he ballooned crosses miles over the box missing everybody. He should really just look to pass the ball into the box like he did with Lingard's chance. The floated crosses rarely work.

Ashley R1+O

Jesus though his crossing is so frustrating. I don't believe that stupid graphic saying he's the most consistent crosser it just can't be true. 2/3 times tonight he ballooned crosses miles over the box missing everybody. He should really just look to pass the ball into the box like he did with Lingard's chance. The floated crosses rarely work.
It is 100% correct. The amount of raw crosses for a fullback is pretty staggering in the grand scheme of things, considering our next ranked wide player sits on 44. (I originally raised the conversion rate so fair play there.)

If you apply the eye test, in my opinion it amounts to a lot of brainless fanging the ball anywhere he can. For someone who has a very high usage rate in our team, I think it is an area to look at in the off season, whether we adapt his attacking role from fullback or we look to bring in an option to deputize or maybe even bump him down a peg on the squad rotation.

Jose adores him though and has got a solid body of work out of him this season.

Adam-Utd

It is 100% correct. The amount of raw crosses for a fullback is pretty staggering in the grand scheme of things, considering our next ranked wide player sits on 44. (I originally raised the conversion rate so fair play there.)

If you apply the eye test, in my opinion it amounts to a lot of brainless fanging the ball anywhere he can. For someone who has a very high usage rate in our team, I think it is an area to look at in the off season, whether we adapt his attacking role from fullback or we look to bring in an option to deputize or maybe even bump him down a peg on the squad rotation.

Jose adores him though and has got a solid body of work out of him this season.
I love him too and think he's doing a good job but for an ex winger who's main gameplan was crossing he sure messes them up often :lol: just think how many assists he would have had if it was a young dani Alves or something

criticalanalysis

I love him too and think he's doing a good job but for an ex winger who's main gameplan was crossing he sure messes them up often :lol: just think how many assists he would have had if it was a young dani Alves or something
Can any seasoned Barca fans give us a bit of insight on Alves because my mate, who supports them actually says that yes whilst he was a great player for them (stylistically in the way like Valencia is for us now), his crossing and decision making wasn't as great as you'd think.

I'm guessing it's a volume thing/high usage rate thing. Statically and most importantly he would get you assists and great plays but that's down to as much of the amount of times he had the ball along with genuine quality at times.

Basically sometimes, it's a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

Sigma

Can any seasoned Barca fans give us a bit of insight on Alves because my mate, who supports them actually says that yes whilst he was a great player for them (stylistically in the way like Valencia is for us now), his crossing and decision making wasn't as great as you'd think.

I'm guessing it's a volume thing/high usage rate thing. Statically and most importantly he would get you assists and great plays but that's down to as much of the amount of times he had the ball along with genuine quality at times.

Basically sometimes, it's a case of the grass being greener on the other side.
@FCBarca

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Cynicism is the basis for the crossing criticisms, I would never assess that part of his game as weak - perhaps only not as strong as the other facets of his legendary repertoire of skills. Only Cafu has left a similar mark on the game as a fullback, IMO

Trizy

Cynicism is the basis for the crossing criticisms, I would never assess that part of his game as weak - perhaps only not as strong as the other facets of his legendary repertoire of skills. Only Cafu has left a similar mark on the game as a fullback, IMO
I always assumed his cross was world class. Then again I only ever see Barcelona highlights.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I always assumed his cross was world class. Then again I only ever see Barcelona highlights.
I would guess that his success percentage on crosses diminished over the last 3 or 4 seasons at Barcelona compared to earlier in his career but his accuracy with the ball is something few footballers will ever possess

Adam-Utd

Dani Alves crossing and passing along with his decision making which was the important part was fantastic.

Guarantee he didn't smash the ball 30 yards over the box to the corner flag too often :lol:

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Dani Alves crossing and passing along with his decision making which was the important part was fantastic.

Guarantee he didn't smash the ball 30 yards over the box to the corner flag too often :lol:
Spoke to one of my Barca supporting mates and he said that Alves is the best full-back in recent years but actually his crossing has always been extremely erratic and he liked his row Z cross more than anyone one yet could also ping an absolute peach here and there. Which would agree with my opinion of his delivery as each time I saw him play (granted mostly against the top dogs) he would sky-rocket at least one of his crosses during the given game.

Adam-Utd

Spoke to one of my Barca supporting mates and he said that Alves is the best full-back in recent years but actually his crossing has always been extremely erratic and he liked his row Z cross more than anyone one yet could also ping an absolute peach here and there. Which would agree with my opinion of his delivery as each time I saw him play (granted mostly against the top dogs) he would sky-rocket at least one of his crosses during the given game.
I know he used to take wild pot shots from a long way out but perhaps you're right. All i know is he got a serious number of assists.

Southampton 2:3 Man Utd

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I have never seen a player who loses all the ability as much as Valencia does in the finals, regulary in tougher games too. Been one of our worst players in every final he played for us.

Looked lost every time he played in the final for us.

m1y2

probably one of his worst games this season, much better in the second half though, happy for him to win the trophy, he's worked hard for it all season and has been one of our best players

Mike09

What? I thought he was absolutely fantastic in the second half.
I thought he was. At least he was good in second half in my opinion. I don't know how someone said "worst" when there are more than half of our player did worse today.

vodrake

Was left too exposed in the first half, he's been good but can't deal with both Bertand and Redmond running full pelt at him without protection

Mike09

I have never seen a player who loses all the ability as much as Valencia does in the finals, regulary in tougher games too. Been one of our worst players in every final he played for us.

Looked lost every time he played in the final for us.
Disagree. FA cup final last season and Carling cup 2009/2010. Valencia was very good. Even today in second half he was good.

Fracture90

He was basically all alone up against Redmond and Bertrand and still managed to not get skinned. Shaky first half, great 2ND half.

Great player to have.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I thought he was very good. The commentators were trying to blame him but it was Bailey who looked out of sorts not Valencia.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Disagree. FA cup final last season and Carling cup 2009/2010. Valencia was very good. Even today in second half he was good.
Thought he was really poor today, and I don't really remember him playing well in recent finals. Was absolutely terrible against Barcelona too, our worst player that night.

Devil may care

He got burned by Bertrand a few times but Bailly wasn't helping him at all. Improved in the second half though and drove us forward several times.

Rossa

That run he made in the 80th or so minute sprinting the entire distance of the pitch to get on the end of Pogba's pass was phenomenal, and then he even managed a good cross only for just Obra bothering to get into the box. He also had a great cross that both Pogba and Martial messed up.

A bit quiet, but decent match from him. Still won't let anyone outpace him, not even Redmond who is very quick and agile.

Sylar

Better second half, but that can be said about quite a few number of players. The goals we conceded werent really from his side or his fault either.

Ashley R1+O

I thought he was very poor and it was an outlet that they tactically went into the game looking to exploit. As the game slowed down and tired legs started to take effect he grew into the game at about 65-70 minutes in and we got over the line, there are so many games coming up he's bound to get a rotation with the amount of work he is getting through.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Thought he was alright, first half it felt neither of our fullbacks were getting much protection. As others said he grew into the game as others tired and the last 20-30minutes were his best.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Set up the goal and it was his left footed(!) cross to Pogba for the penalty. Set up a good chance for Rooney early on too. Very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.