Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Here's a question, if Valencia had been playing as RB since the day he joined us, would he have grown into, and be now widely regarded as, a world class full back?
If we had 09 Valencia level crossing on this Valencia we'd have a phenomenal fullback. Having said that, he wasn't always this strong.

hn4manunited

Solid solid from him again! Wonder strike. just need to improve his crossing a little.

meamth

Mourinho wasn't joking when he said Valencia is one of the best in the world at his position.

el3mel

Just went to YouTube to revise all his goals with us.

23 goals in 8 years seems a low number but man, all of them are really good. :drool:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Red Nev on Valencia.

Former United right-back Neville was full of praise for the Ecuadorian after the game, saying Mourinho does not need to sign another right-back.

"He's been absolutely outstanding for the last 18 months, two years. I had doubts as to whether it could last in the long term with him, I thought it was more of a stop gap until they signed a right-back. But he's the real thing.

"He is a top right-back now; he's strong, quick, supports the attack, and doesn't make any mistakes.

"United don't need to sign a right-back. To think they signed Matteo Darmian as the right-back, Valencia is head and shoulders above him."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ect-but-jose-mourinhos-side-hitting-a-pattern

Acole9

Outstanding
Red Nev on Valencia.

Former United right-back Neville was full of praise for the Ecuadorian after the game, saying Mourinho does not need to sign another right-back.

"He's been absolutely outstanding for the last 18 months, two years. I had doubts as to whether it could last in the long term with him, I thought it was more of a stop gap until they signed a right-back. But he's the real thing.

"He is a top right-back now; he's strong, quick, supports the attack, and doesn't make any mistakes.

"United don't need to sign a right-back. To think they signed Matteo Darmian as the right-back, Valencia is head and shoulders above him."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ect-but-jose-mourinhos-side-hitting-a-pattern
I think Neville is correct, we don't need a right back.

keener

It truly amazes me when I hear or read someone saying that we need another right back. I agree with Mourinho, Antonio Valencia is a world class Right Back and what he provides up the flanks, makes us a different team and allows us to play a far more attacking style which in turn, brings out the best in our other skill players.

I'll take this one step further and say that it's far far easier for a team to reach the highest levels of performance if they have properly functioning attacking full backs. This is just the style of football that I believe in and I think coaches that play flat back 4 and encourage their backs to be just defenders are wasting massive possession and attacking opportunities.

My son plays RB at a pretty high level here in the states and we are always discussing the position as we watch games together and more times than not, I use AV as the example of how to play the position properly. As a matter of a fact, he plays even better than those Brazillian full backs that fancy themselves as wingers. AV knows that his job is to also and foremost, get back and help play defense.

IMO:

First a right back must be a good defender. And at times, Valencia is a great defender. He's not afraid to win a ball in the air and he is extremely strong, not to be pushed off the ball and he takes it personally to not allow a cross from his corner. He is also very fast which is an extremely helpful trait. In short, he's a physical specimen.

Second, I believe a world class right back should have a massive work rate. Check!

Third, He should be willing, able and skillful at helping out on the attack. Check!

Additionally, AV is a leader. Wearing the Captain's armband last game!

So, at least for a couple more years, I don't think we need to consider spending a dime on a RB of the future. We have him in the lineup. And we have Fousa Mensa waiting in the wings as a potential player of the future. Darmian is a reasonable backup IMO.

NotQuiteManc

It looked like a daft decision when he was playing at RB during those first few games, and he was not bad going forward. It was just his defending was very suspect but boy, did he improve on his defending.

VS Everton, he looked really sharp and energetic, and I guess that would be the trend for this season. A fully rested Tony V would be the way to go forward, and having a not-bad backup in Young is pretty neat too. For a more defensive game, there is Darmian and perhaps even Lindelof.

keener

It looked like a daft decision when he was playing at RB during those first few games, and he was not bad going forward. It was just his defending was very suspect but boy, did he improve on his defending.

VS Everton, he looked really sharp and energetic, and I guess that would be the trend for this season. A fully rested Tony V would be the way to go forward, and having a not-bad backup in Young is pretty neat too. For a more defensive game, there is Darmian and perhaps even Lindelof.

Yes, Young could back up Valencia, except that I think he's winning the LB spot. I see young as a very similar player to Valencia, not quite as good defensively, will work his buns off and will try to break down a player 1v1 to be able to put in a cross for our attack. I like them both and think if we start with Young Jones Bailly Valencia for the next 34 EPL games, we'll win the league.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
It truly amazes me when I hear or read someone saying that we need another right back. I agree with Mourinho, Antonio Valencia is a world class Right Back and what he provides up the flanks, makes us a different team and allows us to play a far more attacking style which in turn, brings out the best in our other skill players.

I'll take this one step further and say that it's far far easier for a team to reach the highest levels of performance if they have properly functioning attacking full backs. This is just the style of football that I believe in and I think coaches that play flat back 4 and encourage their backs to be just defenders are wasting massive possession and attacking opportunities.

My son plays RB at a pretty high level here in the states and we are always discussing the position as we watch games together and more times than not, I use AV as the example of how to play the position properly. As a matter of a fact, he plays even better than those Brazillian full backs that fancy themselves as wingers. AV knows that his job is to also and foremost, get back and help play defense.

IMO:

First a right back must be a good defender. And at times, Valencia is a great defender. He's not afraid to win a ball in the air and he is extremely strong, not to be pushed off the ball and he takes it personally to not allow a cross from his corner. He is also very fast which is an extremely helpful trait. In short, he's a physical specimen.

Second, I believe a world class right back should have a massive work rate. Check!

Third, He should be willing, able and skillful at helping out on the attack. Check!

Additionally, AV is a leader. Wearing the Captain's armband last game!

So, at least for a couple more years, I don't think we need to consider spending a dime on a RB of the future. We have him in the lineup. And we have Fousa Mensa waiting in the wings as a potential player of the future. Darmian is a reasonable backup IMO.
Mine too! He always says he wants to play further forward but I use Valencia as an example that you can push right up from RB nowadays and it's helped motivate him.

keener

Mine too! He always says he wants to play further forward but I use Valencia as an example that you can push right up from RB nowadays and it's helped motivate him.
To play RB properly, you've gotta have a team that recognizes your contribution and how to cover you... AND you've gotta be the hardest working bloke on the pitch. So many off the ball runs just to get it 20% of the time.... but the runs that you make will open the game for everyone else. We constantly work on his recognizing when to make runs and to provide width... and you'll see the best/most skilled youth teams using the full width of the pitch with their fullbacks.... so those kids are making runs to get to the line and then when the ball goes away, they've gotta sprint back in to tuck into the backline for backside defensive duty. If the skill players will use the overlaps to create 2-1 attacks, the offense can operate at a much higher level..

Which is what United enjoy when we have young and Valencia flying forward.....

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
To play RB properly, you've gotta have a team that recognizes your contribution and how to cover you... AND you've gotta be the hardest working bloke on the pitch. So many off the ball runs just to get it 20% of the time.... but the runs that you make will open the game for everyone else. We constantly work on his recognizing when to make runs and to provide width... and you'll see the best/most skilled youth teams using the full width of the pitch with their fullbacks.... so those kids are making runs to get to the line and then when the ball goes away, they've gotta sprint back in to tuck into the backline for backside defensive duty. If the skill players will use the overlaps to create 2-1 attacks, the offense can operate at a much higher level..

Which is what United enjoy when we have young and Valencia flying forward.....
Yeah I agree, I've always been a right back myself.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Remember that time when I reminded everyone that I said I thought Valencia would go on to be the best right back in the league?

Yeah good times.

Rossa

Remember that time when I reminded everyone that I said I thought Valencia would go on to be the best right back in the league?

Yeah good times.
Remember when it was still cool to tell everyone "I told you so"? :D

Seriously though, he is certainly up there, and the difference between him and Darmian is huge.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Haven't always rated him that highly, but he's developed his dame really well to suit that RB position now and made it his own. Still needs to improve his crossing - at least in it's consistency - but he's gotten to a point know where he understands his positioning well enough to not make mistakes that lead to goals anymore, and he's become an absolute beast physically - quick, really strong and able to get up and down that flank all day.

United still need a long-term replacement as he's 32 now, but he's going strong at the moment and evidently keeps himself in great nick so he could have a few seasons left in him yet.

Ace of Spades

Sadly, what's new? Didn't do a lot of good defensively either. The part where Mata released him with tonnes of space on the right to deliver a cross in. He fecked it up royally with his cowardice.
He was one of our biggest problems in the first half when he had so much space to attack. Need to upgrade both FBs soon.

el3mel

Very solid defensively imo. Nothing changed in how he goes forward, though. Still a terrible crosser.

Man Utd 4:0 Crystal Palace

Devil may care

I think the rumours about his knee might be true as he's definitely playing a lot more reserved, his technique and calmness was superb today though, very economical performance.

dichinero

I think the rumours about his knee might be true as he's definitely playing a lot more reserved, his technique and calmness was superb today though, very economical performance.
I noticed that too, not many shuttling runs from him today which made sense that Young plays while he was more reserved. Looks like his days are numbered, sadly.

Devil may care

I noticed that too, not many shuttling runs from him today which made sense that Young plays while he was more reserved. Looks like his days are numbered, sadly.
I don't know about his days being numbered but he might well need an op and some time off but we don't have an RB to cover for him that is good enough.

Rossa

Why? He's not 70 and may well recover from a knee injury. He was doubtful for this game, so all in all he did well. Looked explosive the few times he had to. Great technique and ability to find a teammate.

dichinero

Why? He's not 70 and may well recover from a knee injury. He was doubtful for this game, so all in all he did well. Looked explosive the few times he had to. Great technique and ability to find a teammate.
I was referring to his knee injuries/pain, it's been going on for a bit now. He is getting on and an op might hasten that, hopefully it isn't a big and doesn't come down to that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We 100% need another proper right back who can help take pressure off him.

Young can do that job but we need him on the left also, Darmian isn't good enough.

Such a shame we didn't get Aurier, we need to be on the look out.

dutchred

We 100% need another proper right back who can help take pressure off him.

Young can do that job but we need him on the left also, Darmian isn't good enough.

Such a shame we didn't get Aurier, we need to be on the look out.
TFM

kps88

This happened last season as well. He was bombing up and down the flank at the start and became more reserved as the season progressed. You can tell he's not at 100%.

Devil may care

What is the issue with his knee?
The article didn't say specifically, just that he was having to pack it with ice after every game as he's getting pain from it.

This happened last season as well. He was bombing up and down the flank at the start and became more reserved as the season progressed. You can tell he's not at 100%.
That's true, he's also one Jose is keen to rest I've noticed, he still offers a lot with his experience and the calm way he keeps possession, but we are missing his attacking width.

adamwest

The dude. Loved his nonchalant reaction to scoring as if he does it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.