Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

Valencia has been playing without any real support on his wing for the past what 4 seasons now?

He was bad but I expect a consistent wide player on his side would help massively. Of course, we shouldn't say no to a new full back but his flaws are massively exposed due to personnel. He's still a physical beast and can more than hold his own defensively i.e it's just we expect that AND wing play from him up the opposite side of the pitch. It reminds me of some of Evra's years here.

I can't say the same about Young. Fantastic mentality but pretty much bad everything else apart from a good cross.

Ashley R1+O

*shrugs* he's a winger. File that goal away with the other 6 or 7 this season where he's caught in no mans land and ball-watches like a winger on the way into the ball sailing into the back of the net. Fair play to at least trying to give a shout and communicating with Smalling on runners, that is honestly a first for him. But I don't blame Smalling either for not even listening to the guy, would be an absolute nightmare to play beside.

Swift Football

Our both fullbacks are old and next year we must buy new ones.
Many might not agree but I think it's better if we move Valencia altogether rather than keeping him as back up. He is 32 and not getting any younger. Young can be a decent backup to both right and left side and besides we have Bailly, Lindelof as cover even after selling Darmian.
Financially it makes sense to us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can't believe this guy used to be one of the most feared winger in the league. Now he just stands still till the opponent closes down, takes few seconds, tries few dummies and then either passes the ball sideways,backwards or try to take on the player and loses the ball.

Think he has declined physically which is natural.

kr0nix

Crossing utter wank as usual.
It baffles me why not one of our fullbacks can be coached to put in a consistent good cross. FFS Young and Valencia used to be wingers, it doesn't seem like you'd forget how to do it even as you get older.

kthanksbye

At one point in the first half Son was running at him and he backed off so much and took a position he should take when defending against a left footed winger.
Son moved the ball to his right and had all the time in the world to play a cross, Valencia made no effort to block that, fearing that if Son gives him a dummy, he gets beaten.
Thankfully, the cross was over hit, but the amount of time he gave Son to pick out a cross, made me pull my hair.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Kyle Walker:
"I've said numerous times, [Guardiola] worked with two of my idols, Philipp Lahm and Dani Alves, so for him to pass on that information to me, to take little bits from their games and put into my game. I want to be the best in the world, everyone wants to be the best in the world and that's what I want to strive to do. With his knowledge, experience, hopefully he can get me to that.

"I think there's a way to go. You look at Joshua Kimmich, Dani Carvajal there, Antonio Valencia, who I rate highly for switching from midfield to right-back, I like to think I'm up there, but football is a strange game, one minute you're up, the next down. It's about being consistent, and those three are consistent."

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Love him to bits and without a doubt he used to be one of the best RBs.
As an attacking force, he's in decline and that fact cannot be hidden. We need a first choice replacement.

Rossa

So Mourinho rates him. He was arguably the best or second best fullback last season. Kyle Walker rates him up there with Carvajal and Kimmich, but according to the Caf, he is rubbish. Thing is, people expect him to take on players like a winger, but bar aforementioned Carvajal, and Marcelo on the left, which fullbacks take on their defender? If you lose the ball, you are caught why upfield with no chance to get back.

Valencia could and should provide more overlaps, but who would supply him? Everyone drifts inside early so there is no width. If he receives the ball, it is a log diagonal cross giving the defenders ample time to get back across. That being said, he does stop our attacks a little and a little too often.

As for his physical attributes, I’ve yet to see him outpaced. Some people claimed we need fast players like Liverpool’s Robinson, but Valencia easily outpaced him earlier in the season. I think he has lost some agility though, which is hurting him in attack.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So Mourinho rates him. He was arguably the best or second best fullback last season. Kyle Walker rates him up there with Carvajal and Kimmich, but according to the Caf, he is rubbish. Thing is, people expect him to take on players like a winger, but bar aforementioned Carvajal, and Marcelo on the left, which fullbacks take on their defender? If you lose the ball, you are caught why upfield with no chance to get back.

Valencia could and should provide more overlaps, but who would supply him? Everyone drifts inside early so there is no width. If he receives the ball, it is a log diagonal cross giving the defenders ample time to get back across. That being said, he does stop our attacks a little and a little too often.

As for his physical attributes, I’ve yet to see him outpaced. Some people claimed we need fast players like Liverpool’s Robinson, but Valencia easily outpaced him earlier in the season. I think he has lost some agility though, which is hurting him in attack.
When taking on a player one on one, acceleration is far more important than pace. He beat Robertson because he's a faster sprinter but there's no doubt he's lost that burst of speed over 5/10 yards. And why he seems unable to beat players anymore.
You can't lack of width as an excuse for his decline when that's one of his main responsibilities.
He'll soon be 33 so there no shame in his drop. There no doubt we need to be looking at a first choice RB in the near future. I'm sure we will sign one.

Canagel

If he is already showing signs of decline now then chances are that he'll fall off a cliff next season like Ivanovic at Chelsea. We can't take that risk so a replacement must be found ASAP. Otherwise any team with decent left wingers will absolutely roast him week in week out and we'll be in a very difficult situation.

Andersons Dietician

I remember us having a conversation at the start of the season or maybe the end of last season about Valencia where I expressed that I thought he wasn’t good enough and in a way hampered the team. There is no denying he has his qualities. Most 1 on 1’s defensively he’ll win.

Kinda feel like this new narrative of him being abandoned on the right is just people making excuses because he gets a lot of protection. Especially from Mata who works his ass off to get back and help Valencia. Rashford and Lingard have done the same on that side. Tactically Mata going inside frees up space for Valencia to attack that he should make a lot more use out of. If you were to give that space to Bellerin, Walker, Arnold or the likes and they will exploit that space provided. Something Valencia just doesn’t do be it his own choice or tactical the point is it’s there for him to do so.

Walker saying consistency is the key is spot on and if I recall I said as much to you. What Valencia has over most fullbacks in the league is that he is consistently just above average, where the likes of Bellerin and Walker have far superior good days they just aren’t consistent enough.

Anyway it’ll be intresting to see what Jose does this summer. There is no way he sells Valencia but it’s will he now be phased out with someone like Fosu or bring in a new face to immediately take over.

Oh forgot, it’s I would Hope supposed to be his job to provide the with.

Zoo

I’m more concerned with him defensively then going forward. He is constantly out of position, backs off far too much during one on ones and has become a real weak link this season.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If he is already showing signs of decline now then chances are that he'll fall off a cliff next season like Ivanovic at Chelsea. We can't take that risk so a replacement must be found ASAP. Otherwise any team with decent left wingers will absolutely roast him week in week out and we'll be in a very difficult situation.
We already have a replacement on our books - Fosu Mensah. He's come on leaps and bounds in that full back position during his loan at Palace this season; Leroy Sane has also said Fosu Mensah was the most difficult opponent he's come up against this season. The boy is ready to take over from Valencia next season. Would be good if Antonio could take him under his tutelage as well.

Trizy

Had a dream last night that I met him on the street. He was a right dickhead :lol:

kr0nix

No disrespect to Walker, but comparing Valencia to Carvajal and Kimmich is not miles off comparing Joe Cole to Messi.
Most people are happy to admit that he is fairly solid defensively, but his offensive contribution, just like every other fullback in our squad, is largely poor. That's not a kneejerk reaction but an assessment based on watching him play for years now.

Trizy

Offers nothing in attack apart from a worldie once a bluemoon. It's baffling.. how can he not cross when he's a fecking winger?

el3mel

Just as bad as the West Brom game, but the big tree saved his arse from some criticism since we on.
Just can't withstand his performance anymore. Love the man and he provided great service for year but time to move on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Mourinho recognises his decline. I really dislike Ashley Young being LB but at this point I actually think RB is a slightly higher priority to replace.

Dr. StrangeHate

He has been a great servant to the club both as a winger and right back, but he really needs to be replaced next season. He is still a very decent defender but his crossing and runs are pointless now.

binary bot
Why are people baffled by a player getting older and declining.

Sad to see. :(
Because a lot of things he struggles with aren't physical changes. He went from a creative winger to a player that seems afraid to do anything that doesn't involve passing it 10 yards in field. Physically he still seems ok.

Minimalist

He's a squad player, playing too many matches because there's literally no one else to turn to.

Reddevildans

His output is just terrible for the amount of space he gets on the right. So one dimensional. For some reason I can't see him being moved on or dropped next season. I think we'll get a left back. I wouldnt mind seeing young at right back as he's much better offensively.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very poor once again. He had so much space all game and his crossing was crap overall.

It shouldn't, but it annoys me he's the captain too, he shows no leadership and his performances have dropped as the season has gone on. I really hope Jose is not blind to this like he was with Ivanovic and brings in a RB in the summer

Silas

We'd be stupid to go into next season with just him and TFM. Wastes so much space it's unreal. I'd usually put it down to a natural decline, but this seems more like a mental thing.

Djemba-Djemba

It's amazing to think he used to be a winger.

His crossing is so, so bad.

Hopefully he has last one last big game against Chelsea and we sort out a rightback in the Summer.

Redlyn

So much space yet zero end product. We need a brand new attacking RB very badly.

Morpheus 7

Another poor display, offers so little now. We need to address both full back positions if we want real progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.