Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AR87

Genuinely believ he was the weakest link against Sevilla and carried that form into the Brighton tie. He's lost all confidence and his panic when put under the mildest duress results in him hoofing the ball forward completly aimlessly more often than even Smalling.

Red_toad

Is he still carrying the injury that was reported months ago. Seems he's being written off by a fair few on here. I'd say he needs a rest, as looks fatigued.

Dolf

So Ibrahimovic said that he has never heard Valencia speak English. He wasn't entirely serious ofcourse but it does kind of confirm what some of us were already thinking: He doesn't really speak English.
So why was he ever captain? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Valencia but he's doesn't strike me as a natural leader and apparently his English isn't the best either.

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
So Ibrahimovic said that he has never heard Valencia speak English. He wasn't entirely serious ofcourse but it does kind of confirm what some of us were already thinking: He doesn't really speak English.
So why was he ever captain? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Valencia but he's doesn't strike me as a natural leader and apparently his English isn't the best either.
He is in fantastic physical condition 100% of the time, always gives his best every game, is very determined and strikes me as a tough SOB with a hard upbringing but is also humble and hard-working.

The dancing brigade and dough boys in the squad could learn a thing or too from Valencia.

Silas

Yeah, just saw that. I suppose his appointment was mainly to do with him leading by example, as well as him being a long-serving member of the team. We didn't really have many options anyway.

Last edited:

Dolf

Yeah, just saw that. I suppose his appointment was mainly to do with him leading by example, as well him being a long-serving member of the team. We didn't really have many options anyway.
Yeah, probably. He deserved it to be honest but he's not really a long term option for captaincy.

He is in fantastic physical condition 100% of the time, always gives his best every game, is very determined and strikes me as a tough SOB with a hard upbringing but is also humble and hard-working.

The dancing brigade and dough boys in the squad could learn a thing or too from Valencia.
I 100% agree with what you're saying. I think he is an amazing player. But don't you think that speaking english is a critical point for a captain?

Canagel

He has less composure on the ball than Smalling which is quite a feat. Smelling gets pelters on this forum for his passing from the back but Valencia is just as bad if not worse. With those two occupying two positions in our back four we're not winning titles any time soon.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’s been a great servant to the club, but I think he’s finished as an automatic starter.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is just filling up the numbers in the first XI for months now. The fact that we keep these kind of players in the first XI who don't feel the need, or don't have the quality to show anything special on the pitch game after game is one of the reasons for our poor results over the years. And he is our captain.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I've seen him give an interview in English. Where is your God now?

Rossa

Need to replace him, don't want another Ivanovic situation to happen here. We need a RB much more than we need a LB.
Ivanovic became really slow. So far, not a single player has outpaced Valencia on that right side. His form has not been the best this season, but it’s like people won’t let players above 30 have poor spells; they are automatically written off, which is pure BS.

He had a decent game today, showed some speed to stop a counter or two and should have had an assist if not for a terrible finish by Lingard.

haram

Ivanovic became really slow. So far, not a single player has outpaced Valencia on that right side. His form has not been the best this season, but it’s like people won’t let players above 30 have poor spells; they are automatically written off, which is pure BS.

He had a decent game today, showed some speed to stop a counter or two and should have had an assist if not for a terrible finish by Lingard.
He shouldn’t be first choice anymore. He would be a good backup.

Rossa

He shouldn’t be first choice anymore. He would be a good backup.
He needs competition and the best player should play. I think he, like most competitive players, will improve with competition. This season, however, I can’t help feel he has played through an injury.

Web of Bissaka

Better attacking performance, 1st half solid, 2nd half poor - Swansea broke through him once, and delivered many good crosses from his side.

Agreed there should be good RB competition to get him fired up, his only competition atm is Darmian. :nervous: Scary..
--either we get new RB eg. Meunier, or new LB and move Young to RB.
----and appoint new captain eg. Matic next season.

At this point, it's My Captain shall always play.

Sigma

This is probably a big contributing factor to his currently mellow form:

Also, Young is operating as the attacking fullback as seen in that photo. Mourinho always likes one attacking fullback and one defensive one - which is what Valencia is in this set-up.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Hard to believe this guy was once a winger. Has literally no tools to beat a man with.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Did he put in a cross yesterday?
As an attacking force, he's non existent.
You simply can't have a go at him, he's 33.
We should be looking for an upgrade who's technically adept at playing in the financial third.

IrishRedDevil

This is probably a big contributing factor to his currently mellow form:

Also, Young is operating as the attacking fullback as seen in that photo. Mourinho always likes one attacking fullback and one defensive one - which is what Valencia is in this set-up.

Please. Insert. Right winger.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
@Sigma he has been playing fairly attacking this season though, there were times yesterday that he and Young were playing as almost second wingers. I think both of them tiring and struggling to get up and down the pitch in the second half (to be fair, they're both 32) is a big reason why our attacking turned to shite. Since he joined, Mourinho's really had both full backs always pushing up and giving an option, big matches aside, I think we'd look much, much better if we had two full backs who could be up and down the pitch all game instead of half of it.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I have only respect and admiration for this guy but the trend is clear. We need a replacement next season.

LeftyBlaster

@Sigma he has been playing fairly attacking this season though, there were times yesterday that he and Young were playing as almost second wingers. I think both of them tiring and struggling to get up and down the pitch in the second half (to be fair, they're both 32) is a big reason why our attacking turned to shite. Since he joined, Mourinho's really had both full backs always pushing up and giving an option, big matches aside, I think we'd look much, much better if we had two full backs who could be up and down the pitch all game instead of half of it.
Nah. Nothing to do with that imo. It's just that he is so one footed and defenders have figured him out easy. He can't go past. All he does is stall our tempo with his fake stepovers that everyone knows he is never going to attempt before playing a square ball / turning around / passing back.

kundalini

He keeps playing opponents onside by being much deeper than the rest of the defence. Gundogan's big chance to score a header in the first half would have been off-side had Valencia been level with Bailly, who was the deepest of the other defenders. Also lost Sterling when he hit the post from the corner but that was 2nd phase so perhaps more difficult to cover.

Did better in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

Jinn

We definitely need to sort out the whole right hand side of the team.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is absolutely average, I have no idea how can people be happy with today's performance. Fullbacks are really important part of every top team and Valencia is non existant these days. He also hoofs the ball for no reason more often than our other players in big games.

Ashley R1+O

He keeps playing opponents onside by being much deeper than the rest of the defence. Gundogan's big chance to score a header in the first half would have been off-side had Valencia been level with Bailly, who was the deepest of the other defenders. Also lost Sterling when he hit the post from the corner but that was 2nd phase so perhaps more difficult to cover.
Well, yeah. He's a winger. Apart from defending his man in a wide open space away from goal, he can't position himself and function with his the backline for toffee. It has always been so.

One of the goals, again he's literally stopped moving about 10 yards away from the play and watched a goal unfold when he could easily have gotten back and influenced defensively. Might have been the goal that De Gea fenneled out a total munger and turned the ball over instantly so he can be forgiven for being in an advanced position, but he just gave up getting back at all when the move was well and truly still on. It is genuinely a weird trait, but an obvious one for somebody who isn't a defender.

Rossa

Well, yeah. He's a winger. Apart from defending his man in a wide open space away from goal, he can't position himself and function with his the backline for toffee. It has always been so.

One of the goals, again he's literally stopped moving about 10 yards away from the play and watched a goal unfold when he could easily have gotten back and influenced defensively. Might have been the goal that De Gea fenneled out a total munger and turned the ball over instantly so he can be forgiven for being in an advanced position, but he just gave up getting back at all when the move was well and truly still on. It is genuinely a weird trait, but an obvious one for somebody who isn't a defender.
He also was the only one who got back and disturbed Sterling when he was through one on one; most likely helped stop a goal there. For their second goal, Valencia was right in staying further up field. Don’t think he could have done much. Terrible for conceding the corner for the first though.

Andersons Dietician

He really does just frustrate the hell out of me. There was a moment where there was a pretty easy ball he just had to hit in the channel between the goalie and defence and I think we had two running at that space and it looked dangerous instead he did his usual and turned away from it. What made it worse was that Danilo played the sort of ball required earlier. It just bugs me how Valencia never sees these opportunities. There was another later but I do think when we get someone who can add to the offence on that side we’ll see a huge transformation in how the team performs.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He really does just frustrate the hell out of me. There was a moment where there was a pretty easy ball he just had to hit in the channel between the goalie and defence and I think we had two running at that space and it looked dangerous instead he did his usual and turned away from it. What made it worse was that Danilo played the sort of ball required earlier. It just bugs me how Valencia never sees these opportunities. There was another later but I do think when we get someone who can add to the offence on that side we’ll see a huge transformation in how the team performs.
He has been doing this for years, rather than attack a player he will pass it back, rather than sling a cross in, he will pass it back, rather than attempt a ball with his left foot, he will contort himself beyond reason to play it with his right.

Which is why he is so frustrating, because even though he isnt the greatest player the world has ever seen, he is perfectly capable of doing those things with a reasonable defree of efficacy when he tries them.

Why he makes the concious decision to not do those things is anyones guess.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Don't know WTF he was thinking when he just hoofed the ball out for the corner. I knew they would score when he did that, it was just so amateur.

We can't keep making silly mistakes like that, so many passes we do put eachother under needless pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.