Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djemba-Djemba

Need a proper right back in the Summer.

He's been a fine servant and he's done better as a converted right back than anyone could have hoped for, but he's been struggling for a few weeks now.

I think he's knackered, maybe he could stay on as a backup right back next season but his days as first choice should be coming to an end.

AngliaRed

Offers nothing, all our attacking threat comes from the left because Valencia is only capable of simple safe passing back inside. Surely it’s his last season as our first choice RB.

Bobski

Are his legs gone/going?

He used to be a machine getting up and down the line. It might be Mou is asking him to be more reserved but it is a demanding role to play. Spurs constantly rotate their full backs to keep them fresh.

Romez

Funny how just a couple of months ago I saw people on here saying he doesn’t need to be replaced.

Devil may care

He's offered nothing in attack for ages now, he's still a good soldier but I think he'd benefit at this point from being the back-up rather than having to play so many games as first choice.

cj_sparky

He made one very good tackle, and was bang average for the rest.

Hard to believe he was ever a winger. He is offering nothing to our attacking game right now.

soad

What's going on with that guy? Earlier this season i used to talk that he is one of the best RBs in the world, now he offers nothing for weeks. He is not so stable at the back as well. Overwhelm?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not even exaggerating here but he's close to finished. Getting those Evra vibes in 2012/13.

He doesn't make the runs he used to anymore, and I'm not even talking about on the ball but he's not even an outlet these days. Gone are the days where Valencia is high up the pitch waiting for a pass to be pinged in heaps of space. I think he's realised that he's not what he was a season or so ago. Defensively he was poor also. Usually he's a dependable short passer too but even that's gone, not sure if it's form or what but it's really not looking pretty.

Silas

Hard to believe he was ever a winger.
He is offering nothing to our attacking game right now.
This is the weird part. I'd expect a former winger to be somewhat dodgy in defence, but still impressive offensively. Somehow Valencia plays more like a centre-back filling at right-back these days.

Jaxa

I've been on his case for the last few months not because I dislike him, overall he's a legend at this club and helped us to much success but my god he's been awful for a while now, so uninspiring in attack (when he can actually be arsed to attack that is) and defensively liable, his time has come

kundalini

It is unrealistic to expect a 32 year old to play Sat, Tues, Sat. This was his first appearance in a domestic cup game this season.

I hope he is used more sensibly next season. 25 to 30 starts in all competitions.

Canagel

At least Mourinho acknoledges that he was poor. His untouchable status is over. He shouldn't be starting as first choice for United anymore. When the alternative is Darmian you have no choice but to keep playing him though. In the summer we need a new RB and LB. Valencia must be phased out next season.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Been saying for a couple of years now that we need better fullbacks. Judging by that Mourinho quote, he believes it as well.

He's finished, we need to buy a new RB in the summer and let TFM be second choice next season.

Sigma

Agreed that he's been not great for a few weeks now. But people said he was finished 4 years ago, and he's still here and in the first team. Don't underestimate him.

cyril C

Are his legs gone/going?

He used to be a machine getting up and down the line. It might be Mou is asking him to be more reserved but it is a demanding role to play. Spurs constantly rotate their full backs to keep them fresh.
3 tough games in a week and what do you expect from a 30+ player?

JoaquinJoaquin

Legs have gone. Been saying it for a while now, but as the season progresses he is getting worse. Just hope TFM gets a fair opportunity next season.

Varun

Staff
Does he know what the offside rule is? The number of times he's casually 5 yards behind our line is just incredible.

Ashley R1+O

Does he know what the offside rule is? The number of times he's casually 5 yards behind our line is just incredible.
Because he's not a defender, he's a winger. Beyond one vs one defending in a fairly safe area he is always completely all over the shop with the rest of his back line. The attacking stuff completely disappearing on him is more of a noodle scratcher.

Varun

Staff
Because he's not a defender, he's a winger. Beyond one vs one defending in a fairly safe area he is always completely all over the shop with the rest of his back line. The attacking stuff completely disappearing on him is more of a noodle scratcher.
He's been playing as a FB for ages though and its just basics. Young for instance doesn't struggle at all with this.

Ashley R1+O

He's been playing as a FB for ages though and its just basics. Young for instance doesn't struggle at all with this.
*shrug* he's been a professional footballer for ages. I would class Young the more intelligent and aware player. Valencia and Smalling is not a great combination because neither of them communicate.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
At least Mourinho acknoledges that he was poor. His untouchable status is over. He shouldn't be starting as first choice for United anymore. When the alternative is Darmian you have no choice but to keep playing him though. In the summer we need a new RB and LB. Valencia must be phased out next season.
The other option is Young at rightback and Shaw on the left. I wish we'd give that combination a run of games, or at least alternate the three of them a bit more. Admittedly Young was quite shit in the last match he was played on the right, but he's done well there previously.

That's arguably a bigger problem than the lack of any offensive play. Almost every match Valencia breaks the offside trap multiple times. It's cost us a number of goals, and it's amazing that it hasn't cost us many more.

cyril C

He has been like that most of the season.
Not really. In previous games Mourinho rest him and play Young as RB, so Mourinho obviously knows his limitation. But 3 big games in a week, so he could only afford to rest Young on the 3rd game, half a game anyway.

el3mel

Not really. In previous games Mourinho rest him and play Young as RB, so Mourinho obviously knows his limitation. But 3 big games in a week, so he could only afford to rest Young on the 3rd game, half a game anyway.
No he has been like that most of the season. He has stopped sprinting at all and doesn't get himself in position for crossing anymore and even when he manages he back pass it because he can't take his defender. Only one assist the whole season says enough.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers

Hard to believe he was ever a winger. He is offering nothing to our attacking game right now.
You play the position differently from RB, when will people understand, it is a more about not losing the ball from that position while still offering good runs and occasional cross run at a player when we are well positioned. But Valencia was always a bit one dimensional and by not doing it regularly he lost a bit of confidence in attacking. He's still very reliable defensively and runs down the right wing alone, people forget that. He's done okay this season.. 6/7 out of 10.

That so much for the defending the guy. This game was one of his worst this season everything went against him, that's quite unusual because Valencia's biggest asset is not to lose the ball, keep it under pressure etc. not even these things went for him yesterday and lately he's not been at his best, because poor would be overstatement, he was good against Chelsea and Liverpool, even palace second half iirc. He just can't play all games at his age. And yes we need a new pair of fullbacks on each side. Both Young and Valencia can be still good backups and can perform to our standards if not played week in week out..

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No he has been like that most of the season. He has stopped sprinting at all and doesn't get himself in position for crossing anymore and even when he manages he back pass it because he can't take his defender. Only one assist the whole season says enough.
We learnt earlier this season that Valencia has knee problems. So basically, he has eliminated a lot of running from his game.

I think a new RB is needed, hopefully TFM or Tuanzebe can get games there next season.

el3mel

We learnt earlier this season that Valencia has knee problems. So basically, he has eliminated a lot of running from his game.

I think a new RB is needed, hopefully TFM or Tuanzebe can get games there next season.
Agree. I believe this knee injury theory, even though I don't know if he needed to make a surgery why he didn't do it in summer if it was that sever.

I love him, but he's only going to become worse from now on. Keep him as a squad player and bring new RB, with TFM getting some games here and there in this position during the season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

My favourite player at the club because his character as much as his ability. But I’m seeing the signs of him conserving his energy (hopefully it’s a short term injury thing but can’t help think age as well having watched the demise of Nev and Ivanovic in the same position). We need two new full backs next year but due to budget one may be all we get as we have other areas to buy as well. I hope we buy Sandro (left back) and let Valencia TFM and Young cover that area with emphasis on TFM playing if doing well. On a side note Mitchell was looking the real deal up here in Scotland with Hearts.

dove

Agreed that he's been not great for a few weeks now. But people said he was finished 4 years ago, and he's still here and in the first team. Don't underestimate him.
He wasn't great for the past few years. The only reason he still plays is because we can't just replace 11 players immediately, we had bigger priorities. This summer is hopefully when we sort out our fullbacks and get at least 1 more CM.

Sigma

I will never understand how a right back who was once a club player of the season winner as a winger can never put in a decent cross these days. I mean seriously, what is wrong with him?
I really don't like this generalisation. He puts in more good crosses than people release but this is kept perpetuated. He put in a good cross for Martial against Brighton but he took a poor touch. Yes, these crosses are less frequent than say Young, but they aren't non-existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.