Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

I've always liked him and think he was a decent RB for a period of time but he's been pretty poor for a long time now.

Renegade

I don’t really understand how his club captain of Manchester United. Surely the worst club captain we’ve had in the last 25years? Can barely speak English. Never motivating or directing players on field whilst performing poorly. This is the guy that gave the #7 shirt back after 1 season because of the pressure. I don’t have much confidence in him anymore. Been a very serviceable player his time here and will always have my respect but club captain he is not.

Sylar

TBF, you could see he was done and declining last season. We arent ruthless enough and he should have been phased out or replaced completely. We as a club have done that too often. I think from our longest servants, 5 or 6 should have all been sold.

Ekeke

I don’t really understand how his club captain of Manchester United. Surely the worst club captain we’ve had in the last 25years? Can barely speak English. Never motivating or directing players on field whilst performing poorly. This is the guy that gave the #7 shirt back after 1 season because of the pressure. I don’t have much confidence in him anymore. Been a very serviceable player his time here and will always have my respect but club captain he is not.
I honestly think he's captain because Mourinho knows he wont speak out against him, because he doesnt know the language.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think him not having a pre season has hit him really hard.

He was already declining but he's taken a massive fall recently.

You can see he is playing VERY safe now, won't take his fullback on 1v1, rarely makes any overlapping runs as he's scared to be caught out of position.

Defensively he gives his attacker 10 yards space as he's scared to get tight, then backs off as they approach him. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.

It's a shame as he's been a fantastic servant to the club, but right now he's a liability to the team. I can't believe i'm saying this but even Darmian would be a better option right now (and I can't stand Darmian).

Bola

He offers so little attacking output and also seems confused, even anxious, about what to do next when he recieves the ball. Not at all what we want as a modern attacking full-back, nor a Captain.

It's time to relegate him to a 'backroom' role similar to Carrick last season. Meanwhile we throw our weight behind Young* and Dalot as the RB options, until the latter becomes aclimatised to the Prem.

Valencia has been a great servant to the club and it was great that he was able to adapt to the RB role so well Afraid he's reached the point in his career where he us past it I'm afraid. Time for a changing of the guard, so book his testimonial and see of there is a backroom position at the club which he could fill

*young's performances have also declined from last season, but from an attacking perspective, he is far more positive than Valencia. He will also need to be phased out, but is a useful rotation option until the Summer

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I honestly think he's captain because Mourinho knows he wont speak out against him, because he doesnt know the language.
They can both speak Spanish.

But Valencia can and does speak English as well. Just not with the media. There's videos on social media where he's spoken English when he does the MU Foundation stuff.

Ekeke

They can both speak Spanish.

But Valencia can and does speak English as well. Just not with the media. There's videos on social media where he's spoken English when he does the MU Foundation stuff.
They can speak Spanish, but if Mourinho is giving out the instructions in English Valencia wont know to disagree. It would also explain why hes always out of position :lol:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Its not going to be fun watching him up against Hazard in a couple of weeks.

I hope Herrera's busy doing man marking drills for the next few weeks!

AngliaRed

He’s been finished as a player for 2-3 years now. I have no idea why 3 Separate managers have kept him and not sought to get in a world class RB. I don’t care whether he is a likeable guy and popular amongst his peers. His time as a player at Manchester United needs to end now.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I've always been a big fan but a decline has certainly set in. Some players can adapt when they reach this stage but I don't know what Tony can change. I fear it may be terminal.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Get Dalot in there. He'll make mistakes, but i can't watch another game with Valencia passing it backwards when we're in an attacking position. The guy should not be our automatic first choice. I'm not saying he's completely finished, but just give Dalot a run ffs.

RonaldoVII

Agree with what is being said. Valencia can still defend but from an attacking perspective he is done and can't get back like he used to. I would keep him for the tight away games and difficult home games but throw Dalot in for the games where we expect to have the majority of possession and need that extra dimension in attack.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm a big fan of his but last night he was awful — I think that his defending ability begins to degrade as well. I was kinda of okay with his non-existing attacking presence (with a hope of signing a new right winger) when he was good defensively, but now he simply looks past it.

iKeano

Worst Club Captain in my living memory.

Gets the ball, hops on the spot, kick into shin. Repeat.

Any time there's any controversy, he's as far away as possible. He (and the other 9 fools) left Rashford arguing with the entire Valencia team at one point lastnite. Not a leader kind among them.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was good last night but he needs to be replaced by Dalot, don't rate him as captain neither.

99withaflake

He was good last night
It was the worst performance I've ever seen from him. He was quite literally 30 yards out of position 3 or 4 times a half, and may as well not have been playing. I gave him a 2/10. I'm surprised his average on this forum was 3.9. That's pretty kind.

Comes across like a nice guy, gave us some decent performances in the past, but as you say it's time for Dalot to get a run in the team.

el3mel

Worst Club Captain in my living memory.

Gets the ball, hops on the spot, kick into shin. Repeat.

Any time there's any controversy, he's as far away as possible. He (and the other 9 fools) left Rashford arguing with the entire Valencia team at one point lastnite. Not a leader kind among them.
Ironic isn't it. Has been a good servant for the club and had very solid seasons earlier but will end up being remembered as one of our worst number 7s + one of our worst ever captains.

Web of Bissaka

Ironic isn't it. Has been a good servant for the club and had very solid seasons earlier but will end up being remembered as one of our worst number 7s + one of our worst ever captains.
Naah, plenty of other worthy candidates for that bolded part. Tony V did awesome one season as a #7 and rubbish the next, then he changed shirt. 50/100.

Good candidate for worst capt though. No longer inspiring nor lead by example.

EDIT: Eh wait, didn't he just wore #7 in one season, which is his 2nd. His debut season, he wore different number. I think I'm getting too old, bad memory.

Last edited:

el3mel

Naah, plenty of other worthy candidates for that bolded part. Tony V did awesome one season as a #7 and rubbish the next, then he changed shirt. 50/100.

I said one of the worst, not the worst. Sanchez, Depay and Di Maria are our worst number 7 in order imo, then the likes of Valencia and Owen come.

kr0nix

I said one of the worst, not the worst. Sanchez, Depay and Di Maria are our worst number 7 in order imo, then the likes of Valencia and Owen come.
I'm thinking we should put the no. 7 shirt on the shelf for a while after Sanchez is gone.

jem

EDIT: Eh wait, didn't he just wore #7 in one season, which is his 2nd. His debut season, he wore different number. I think I'm getting too old, bad memory.
No I think he only wore #7 in Fergie's last season, in which he was absolute gash. I've never been a huge fan, but he's really been awful in the last year or so. People go on about Mata and Matic slowing us down, but neither compares to Valencia when it comes to grinding an attack to a halt, something that is even more annoying given that Valencia is a relatively fast player. That stupid move where does a 270 degree turn, all for the sole purpose of not using his left foot...

UncleBob

He was good last night but he needs to be replaced by Dalot, don't rate him as captain neither.
What ? How ?

The amount of times he was out of position, both when Valencia attacked and when we attacked. Not offering anything in attack is fine enough, but when it's combined with poor defending then it's a bit of a disaster. Can't remember him being that bad for quite some time, easily one of our worst players against Valencia.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Since he cannot cross for shit, cannot use his left foot and doesn't know how to create a little space, without his pace he's useless. He should be benched and used only very sparingly

Acole9

Outstanding
What ? How ?

The amount of times he was out of position, both when Valencia attacked and when we attacked. Not offering anything in attack is fine enough, but when it's combined with poor defending then it's a bit of a disaster. Can't remember him being that bad for quite some time, easily one of our worst players against Valencia.
Obviously didn't have that much of a an issue, kept a clean sheet. Don't remember him making any mistakes which could've led to a goal. I thought he was fine, not man of the match or anything like that.

UncleBob

Obviously didn't have that much of a an issue, kept a clean sheet. Don't remember him making any mistakes which could've led to a goal. I thought he was fine, not man of the match or anything like that.
Well that's certainly a fine definition of someone playing well.

norm87cro

Well to be honest if everybody was on top of their game I think we would see much more from him too. But he has declined and he really isn't Captain material but he is a very good servant who managed to be consistent for so long and I fully excpet the club to handle his situation with class.

stevoc

How many times did their left winger waltz past him at will and cut inside to shoot under no pressure?

The fact that guy couldn't shoot for shit is why we kept a clean sheet. Valencia couldn't get near his man and was out of position all night.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
How many times did their left winger waltz past him at will and cut inside to shoot under no pressure?

The fact that guy couldn't shoot for shit is why we kept a clean sheet. Valencia couldn't get near his man and was out of position all night.
Reminded me of Sevilla when Joaquin Correa tore him apart but they were awful with finishing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is he injured because he's made it clear he's not playing?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
For me, he's right on the second tier of modern United legends. Was quietly effective when he first arrived as a winger, and transitioned to have 2 very good seasons at RB.

But he's very much fallen off the ole late-career cliff. No fault of his own, his physicality has always been his best attribute, and it looks like he's lost not just one gear, but two or three.

Challenge for Jose (or whomever) is that I don't think he's good enough for us anymore. Dalot is too raw and doesn't have the fitness, and Young just doesn't look comfortable on the right side of the pitch. Could have put Fosu-Mensah there, but ho hey, great decisions and all that.

Doesn't deserve massive criticism, has been a consumate pro. Think he should be due a testimonial next summer? Let him run down his contract, have that, then time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.