Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

red4ever 79

For me, he's right on the second tier of modern United legends. Was quietly effective when he first arrived as a winger, and transitioned to have 2 very good seasons at RB.

But he's very much fallen off the ole late-career cliff. No fault of his own, his physicality has always been his best attribute, and it looks like he's lost not just one gear, but two or three.

Challenge for Jose (or whomever) is that I don't think he's good enough for us anymore. Dalot is too raw and doesn't have the fitness, and Young just doesn't look comfortable on the right side of the pitch. Could have put Fosu-Mensah there, but ho hey, great decisions and all that.

Doesn't deserve massive criticism, has been a consumate pro. Think he should be due a testimonial next summer? Let him run down his contract, have that, then time to move on.
The kind of post you read while eating popcorn. Second tier of Utd legends lol. Average player, loyal servant that sums him up

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
The kind of post you read while eating popcorn. Second tier of Utd legends lol. Average player, loyal servant that sums him up
The stats will and accolades will back up that statement. Won POTY once, was players POTY more recently. Probably in our Top 10 in number of assists. Not sure about number of appearances but must be up there, as he’s been a nailed on starter for most of the past 8 seasons or so.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The stats will and accolades will back up that statement. Won POTY once, was players POTY more recently. Probably in our Top 10 in number of assists. Not sure about number of appearances but must be up there, as he’s been a nailed on starter for most of the past 8 seasons or so.
He’s been a regular during our least successful period in heavens knows when, it’s not really a testament in itself. He’s been one of our better players, but in the grand scheme, the bar hasn’t been high.

Valencia won’t be remembered at all when he’s gone. Remember Paul Parker? That’s about how Valencia will be remembered. He’s been lucky that we haven’t bothered to buy a decent replacement for Gary’s Neville, otherwise he would have been booted out 4 years ago.

sam147

The thing that vexes me the most about him is when he does use his left foot its actually better than average? He scored a screamer with it. He actually put in a few good crosses last season with it. With his right he just smashes shins. He is one of the players we need to get out, along with Jones.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
#7 in assists in Premier League era. Right behind Beckham.

So probably yes.

https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeCompetitionMostAssists?comp_code=EPL&club_id=3
Yeah, that's kind of my point. People shouldn't judge him on what he is now alone, he's been a great player for United. God knows a younger version of him would be a far cry better than anything we can field on the right side of the pitch despite all the money we've spent in the past few seasons.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Reputation has suffered from simply not being Ronaldo. From day one.

I agree with those that think he is a silent little legend in his own right

Dante

Average bang

Aloysius's Back 3

Reputation has suffered from simply not being Ronaldo. From day one.

I agree with those that think he is a silent little legend in his own right
To be honest - ever since Ronaldo the whole fanbase have been targetting decent players due to their inability to become arguably the best player of all time. It happens throughout our squad, decent players are deemed not good enough because they are not the best in the world.

el3mel

For me, he's right on the second tier of modern United legends. Was quietly effective when he first arrived as a winger, and transitioned to have 2 very good seasons at RB.

But he's very much fallen off the ole late-career cliff. No fault of his own, his physicality has always been his best attribute, and it looks like he's lost not just one gear, but two or three.

Challenge for Jose (or whomever) is that I don't think he's good enough for us anymore. Dalot is too raw and doesn't have the fitness, and Young just doesn't look comfortable on the right side of the pitch. Could have put Fosu-Mensah there, but ho hey, great decisions and all that.

Doesn't deserve massive criticism, has been a consumate pro. Think he should be due a testimonial next summer? Let him run down his contract, have that, then time to move on.
What does "modern" means and how is that exactly ? For a club that have a long list of legends and top players playing for it like us he falls short compared to them. He's not a legend and will never be.

He's probably in the same bracket as Park for example. Very good player, good servant for years, not a legend at all but will love to have him around in his prime.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
What does "modern" means and how is that exactly ? For a club that have a long list of legends and top players playing for it like us he falls short compared to them. He's not a legend and will never be.

He's probably in the same bracket as Park for example. Very good player, good servant for years, not a legend at all but will love to have him around in his prime.
Personally think he's far better than Park, but I know that's not a hugely popular opinion. Modern I'm thinking post 2000 or so. And I did say second tier. As context, if he plays another 15 matches this season, here are a few 'legends' he'll have more appearances than: O'Shea, Schmeichel, Silvestre, and will be pretty close to Phil Neville.

He's already had more appearances than Fletcher, Vidic, Wes Brown and many others. Almost twice as many Park, again for context.

Just find it weird how people underrate the contribution he's made for United. I'd wager all of the above listed players are thought of with a lot more fondness than our current captain, and it's kind of odd.

stepic

Personally think he's far better than Park, but I know that's not a hugely popular opinion. Modern I'm thinking post 2000 or so. And I did say second tier. As context, if he plays another 15 matches this season, here are a few 'legends' he'll have more appearances than: O'Shea, Schmeichel, Silvestre, and will be pretty close to Phil Neville.

He's already had more appearances than Fletcher, Vidic, Wes Brown and many others. Almost twice as many Park, again for context.

Just find it weird how people underrate the contribution he's made for United. I'd wager all of the above listed players are thought of with a lot more fondness than our current captain, and it's kind of odd.
Quality over quantity. Vidic’s peak was infinitely higher than Valencia’s, in fact there’s no point comparing. Valencia was never a star winger and barring maybe one or two seasons at a stretch he has never been a star fullback either.

Depends really how we’re considering players - in terms of sheer quality or loyalty and servitude to the club. He lacks the former but definitiey has the latter.

el3mel

Legendary state isn't by number of appearances only though. That's called loyality or longevity. Giggs and co didn't earn their legendary state becaus they were there for long time, but because their performance in prime was top class, and their prime lasted long time, not 1 or 2 years (not speaking about Valencia but in general).

No one is underrating what he did here. Very good player at his prime, great servent for the club, good longevity perfomance wise simply not to a legend state, very good at best.

Legendary state isn't by number of appearances only though. That's called loyality or longevity. Giggs and co didn't earn their legendary state becaus they were there for long time, but because their performance in prime was top class, and their prime lasted long time, not 1 or 2 years (not speaking about Valencia but in general).

No one is underrating what he did here. Very good player at his prime, great servent for the club, good longevity perfomance wise simply not to a legend state, very good at best.
Shows how far we have dropped as as club and how low we are currently if anyone is discussing Valencia and the word legend.

He’s been very lucky to still be at this club, he had one fantastic season when he and Rooney were on fire. Other than that, he’s been patchy at best. He used to be able to run fast and bench press so was ‘a beast’ as some fans say - but his quality on the ball is so poor. He was a failed winger who moved to RB, because we didn’t have anyone else, and he was so awful as a winger. If he was a squad option that would be satisfactory, but he’s nowhere near good enough to be our first team RB and now over the past 2 years has got worse and worse.

It irks me that he’s our captain - we used to have great, inspirational players as our captain, not someone as average as Valencia. He wouldn’t have been able to get into any other top 10 team in the PL over the past 5 years as a nailed on starter.

He’s professional - but his quality, technique and productivity is simply not good enough for us.

Rossa

Quality over quantity. Vidic’s peak was infinitely higher than Valencia’s, in fact there’s no point comparing. Valencia was never a star winger and barring maybe one or two seasons at a stretch he has never been a star fullback either.

Depends really how we’re considering players - in terms of sheer quality or loyalty and servitude to the club. He lacks the former but definitiey has the latter.
Guardiola rated Valencia as the best winger in the world in 2012, so her was perhaps a star winger after all.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Shows how far we have dropped as as club and how low we are currently if anyone is discussing Valencia and the word legend.

He’s been very lucky to still be at this club, he had one fantastic season when he and Rooney were on fire. Other than that, he’s been patchy at best. He used to be able to run fast and bench press so was ‘a beast’ as some fans say - but his quality on the ball is so poor. He was a failed winger who moved to RB, because we didn’t have anyone else, and he was so awful as a winger. If he was a squad option that would be satisfactory, but he’s nowhere near good enough to be our first team RB and now over the past 2 years has got worse and worse.

It irks me that he’s our captain - we used to have great, inspirational players as our captain, not someone as average as Valencia. He wouldn’t have been able to get into any other top 10 team in the PL over the past 5 years as a nailed on starter.

He’s professional - but his quality, technique and productivity is simply not good enough for us.
Not really. His crossing has been undeniably poor in recent years, but that's not the same as being poor on the ball. His first touch is decent, rarely gives the ball away, good distribution to the channels etc. No way would Mourinho and Van Gaal have a player that was poor on the ball, let's be honest.

Not really. His crossing has been undeniably poor in recent years, but that's not the same as being poor on the ball. His first touch is decent, rarely gives the ball away, good distribution to the channels etc. No way would Mourinho and Van Gaal have a player that was poor on the ball, let's be honest.
Fair point. I should have said quality with the ball.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He had more poor seasons than good, let alone world class. Average player who worked only under Fergie one period, and partly as a fullback later. All these years he was our attacking and playmaking outlet, and one of main reasons we were always uncreative in our play. That game video sums up his game. Winger who couldn't cross, and who scored 17 premier league goals in 240 apps. In comparision Vidic has 15 goals in 210 apps, Smalling has 12. Assist number is high mostly because he has lot of apps for us. Nani is still higher than him on the assists list despite playing almost half less games than him.

Last edited:

Rossa

He had one fantastic season, which given his career a clearly an outlier.
In that season, his peak was very high, which suggests that the argument that he never had a high peak is incorrect. In addition to a short, albeit high peak, he has also been a good servant with a generally quality contribution over a sustained period of time. He was also regarded by many as one of the better fullbacks around for a couple of seasons.

red4ever 79

Nailed on starter for 8 years, should have been no where near the starting line up for probably the last 3 years. Loyal player, has been a good servant but to say Valencia was ever a top player, or world class player as someone did say on here before is laughable. Sum his career up at Utd he is a 6/10 player. Average at most things excels at nothing

In that season, his peak was very high, which suggests that the argument that he never had a high peak is incorrect. In addition to a short, albeit high peak, he has also been a good servant with a generally quality contribution over a sustained period of time. He was also regarded by many as one of the better fullbacks around for a couple of seasons.
There is an obsession with high peaks, low peaks, ceilings etc on this site.

Lots of players have had a single season where everything went for them, the conditions were perfect, and they performed above expectations. Average players like Darren Bent, Patrick Berger, Arshavin, Slivestre etc.

Valencia never did it consistently - it’s sad he’s still a first team player, when that one fantastic season was 2009/10.

Andersons Dietician

I cannot even think of one stand out contribution in a game, one moment that will leave in the memories.
I’m a pretty strong critic but one memory is weirdly a cross he played on the volley for Rooney to header in against Bayern Munich I think it was. That was the season he and Rooney had a decent partnership. Other than that mostly garbage apart from a few long rangers.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
There is an obsession with high peaks, low peaks, ceilings etc on this site.

Lots of players have had a single season where everything went for them, the conditions were perfect, and they performed above expectations. Average players like Darren Bent, Patrick Berger, Arshavin, Slivestre etc.

Valencia never did it consistently - it’s sad he’s still a first team player, when that one fantastic season was 2009/10.
Harsh. He has had about 4 great seasons in which one was excellent as a winger. Other 4 years he has been a good consistent performer to the squad, and he has had a couple of season where he was very bad. There absolutely is a reason for him still being at the club. Players like him is perfect to have around, top professional and consistent effort. His story shouldn't be rewritten because we have neglected to recruit enough would class players in this time, even in the positions he has occupied.

If you want to compare with other players it would probably have been more fitting to name guys such as; Zabaleta, Monreal, Milner, Koscielny etc.

Ashley R1+O

:lol: I bet you could break the bandwidth limit on YouTube posting a compilation of all of the times he's done this.

Absolutely having a laugh above trying to paint him as being anywhere near the talked about legends of the past. Not a hope in hell will he be remembered that way.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Injured or in the dog house?
Fact that it's Young playing curbes a bit of the excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.