Antonio Valencia signs new contract

ThanksBoss26

That's nonsense tbf.

Why would we sign a player on for three years(with option to extend for fourth) before asking our new manager. People made the same type of speculations last season after Nani was signed on however it turned out that Moyes rated Nani but due to injuries and other reasons, Nani wasn't able to perform.
Van Gaal has obviously been consulted (at least I hope so) but there's no way while the player is away at the World Cup that these negotiations and the groundwork for this wasn't done before he took over, in my opinion.

Zak Smith

Van Gaal probably watched him in our CL 2nd leg which will have left a good impression. Good news!

Sparky Rhiwabon

Maybe we're struggling to get anyone much better without CL football to offer, so it's a new contract for Tony instead?

Acole9

Outstanding
I agree he is the best of a relatively average bunch of wingers we have at the club. I'm sure they'll be a fair few departures over the summer but I wouldn't have considered Valencia as one to get rid of anyway as we have worse players and can't rid of them all in one big hit. van Gaal must have also approved this new deal.

The Neviller

I'd rather watch a class winger down the wing than a nothing player just because he loves the club and always gives 100%. He is never on form, he has good matches here and there but that won't win you any trophies. He is not useful as an impact sub and why keep him just to play on carling games when there are players like Lawrence and Wilson waiting for every bit of chance to play.
He's not a nothing player. He's been a very good servant for this club. The lack of loyalty fans show players, yet expect unflinching loyalty in return, is shocking.

He might not be first choice. We might be looking to sign better, but he's a good player to bave in the squad, to cover a variety of roles. He's tactically flexible, and quick as feck. He's a handy player to have around.

Also, Wilson is a striker, so what the feck has he got to do with whether or not we should keep a winger who can play as a fullback or in midfield?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I suppose as a wing back in a 3-5-2 he's got the right assets? I'm picking at scraps here...

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I agree he is the best of a relatively average bunch of wingers we have at the club. I'm sure they'll be a fair few departures over the summer but I wouldn't have considered Valencia as one to get rid of anyway as we have worse players and can't rid of them all in one big hit. van Gaal must have also approved this new deal.
The best part of this news is that it confirms LvG is giving out instructions at least. Hopefully we get some more news soon, starting with Shaw.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Nothing player my arse.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Barring Adnan, the wingers we have are pretty much all as uninspiring as the other, so I didn't really care which ones of them left, so long as two do.

I can see Valencia doing a good Darryl Janmaat impression for LVG. I just hope I haven't been sentenced to another season of his kick and rush being the sum total of our attacking ideas.

I presume this deal is largely on the advice of Ryan 'United traditions' Giggs anyway.

NMF

We're suppose to get rid of our average dross not extend their contracts.

Valencia has to be one of the most one dimensional players we've had, we're suppose to modernize not regress.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Out of three wingers that we should get rid of, Valencia would be my last pick so I'm more or less ok with it.

Ekeke

Nothing player my arse.
How many of the current top wingers and creative players have been in the premier league for 3 seasons? Yeah thats what I thought.

The same stats were used to hype Ashley Young at Villa before we signed him.

Ozil, Eriksen, Hazard, Jesus Navas, Coutinho, Lallana, have all been in the premier league for less than 3 seasons and after they have been in the league that length of time will probably have more "assists" than Valencia in the past 3 seasons combined.

Booyakasha

Wasn't he branded the best winger in the world by Pep Guardiola a couple of seasons back? Has been fairly shit ever since, but he is 28, there is no real reason why van Gaal can't get him back to his best.

Ashley Young, on the other hand...

Truedevil

He's not a nothing player. He's been a very good servant for this club. The lack of loyalty fans show players, yet expect unflinching loyalty in return, is shocking.

He might not be first choice. We might be looking to sign better, but he's a good player to bave in the squad, to cover a variety of roles. He's tactically flexible, and quick as feck. He's a handy player to have around.

Also, Wilson is a striker, so what the feck has he got to do with whether or not we should keep a winger who can play as a fullback or in midfield?
The same mentality brought us Moyes, the same mentality kept older players in the squad without replacements. He is bad, he shouldn't be staying at a club like us. We have to be cruel in our dealings.

Thisistheone

Good news. Valencia is a good player, excellent pro and loves the club. van Gaal will hopefully get him back to his best.

KM

How many of the current top wingers and creative players have been in the premier league for 3 seasons? Yeah thats what I thought.

Ozil, Eriksen, Hazard, Jesus Navas, Coutinho, Lallana, have all been in the premier league for less than 3 seasons and after they have been in the league that length of time will probably have more "assists" than Valencia in the past 3 seasons combined.
Mata is probably better than all of the players you mentioned and he is playing for three seasons in England.

Valencia doesn't take any set-pieces as well which apart from Navas all of those players do.

NMF

Good news. Valencia is a good player, excellent pro and loves the club. van Gaal will hopefully get him back to his best.
He might be a excellent pro and loves the club but what use is that when his an awful player these days?

Mainoldo

Yesss get in!!! The best defensive winger in the world stays!!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Wasn't he branded the best winger in the world by Pep Guardiola a couple of seasons back? Has been fairly shit ever since, but he is 28, there is no real reason why van Gaal can't get him back to his best.

Ashley Young, on the other hand...
Yeah, before the C.L final in 2011 if I'm not mistaken. He was in fine form back then.

Ekeke

Mata is probably better than all of the players you mentioned and he is playing for three seasons in England.
Mata has 4 assists for us and 2 for Chelsea last season. The season before he had 12. The season before that 13. Thats on top of the very many more goals he's scored than Valencia.

Valencia had 3 last season, 5 before that and 13 the season before that.

If Valencia isn't getting assists from corners and freekicks its because he isn't actually good enough for us to trust him with them

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Nothing player my arse.

Exactly, and 13 of his 21 assists in those 3 seasons (60%) came 3 seasons ago. He got just 3 assists last season.

Hazard and Ozil both had more assists this season alone than Antonio has had in his last two seasons combined. They've also scored more this season than he has in his last two seasons.

Nobody is disputing he was good 3 years ago. He's just be absolute dog shit for 2 seasons.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Nothing player my arse.
How about assists from just the last 2 seasons? That's when he has been painfully shite.

He's the only player who really angers me when I watch United. Hope he regains his form but I am not holding my breath.

Zak Smith

He might be a excellent pro and loves the club but what use is that when his an awful player these days?
He's a confidence player, if Van Gaal can repair his confidence he will be tallying the assists like nobodies business.

And if he doesn't? There are still worse players in the squad who should be shown the door first.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Good point actually. That might be LVG's thinking. He does like to revitalise players.
I have faith in LVG, as poor as Valencia has been this season I think we all still remember what a great player he was. As a wingback he won't find himself having to try and take a player on as much, it'll give his game that directness that he excels with, getting the ball on the run and beating the fullback for pace and getting to the by line.

That said I think our tactics will largely come down to how successful we are in the transfer market.

KM

Unfortunately, that's skewed by the 13 assists from his excellent 2011/12 season, form which he has rarely come close to replicating since.
Yup. I see that but the Nani-hipsters on here have no problems in mentioning Nani's form of two-three years ago as a reason to give Nani more chance. Why isn't Valencia given the same courtesy?

SirAF

Ageist
He's a quite good player who can be useful for us under van Gaal - pretty happy with this.

NMF

Looks like another season of uninspiring wing play, we will never play good football with a player like Valencia starting for us.

This reeks of Giggs trying to keep the United traditions alive.

Moonred

Was never going to be sold this summer. He still has what it takes to turn his form around, unlike Young. Everyone was dismal last season, strengthening areas of need is getting tougher, we won't be able to cover all the positions adequately in one window.

The Neviller

The same mentality brought us Moyes, the same mentality kept older players in the squad without replacements. He is bad, he shouldn't be staying at a club like us. We have to be cruel in our dealings.
Comparing Valencia to Moyes is absolute arseholery. I get the impression you're new to Manchester United.

Kag

He's a better player than Kagawa and deserves the extension.

The poor form he's shown is because of the drop in tempo of our passing. He hasn't been getting found early enough to get a run on his fullback the way he used to. Play him with a deep-lying playmaker in the team again and he'll shine.
Why do the likes of you raid into threads to start some kind of player warfare? Valencia signs contract, so let's pick on some random, often controversial player in an attempt to look the part. Either way, I'll bite, Kagawa has comprehensively outperformed Valencia over the past two seasons. The first of which Valencia produced quite possibly the worst individual season any player has put in under Ferguson while under the tag 'first team regular'.

He wasn't actually as bad last season, and I don't mind keeping him as a squad player, for what it's worth. I would hope to see the likes of De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Welbeck and Jones, all of which have two years remaining, sign up soon too.

Your reasoning for his poor form is a bit folly, too. He's been rather wank, primarily because his crossing has been awful and he's struggled when brought onto his inside, at which points he turns back. He really needs to play with more aggression and confidence going forward.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

So Valencia had a bad patch for three years now, and still managed to be one of the most prolific player in PL. The other player that you mention are all in the best context of their careers and need and that needs to continue for them to match Valencia.

But Valencia is supposed to be substandard ?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Yup. I see that but the Nani-hipsters on here have no problems in mentioning Nani's form of two-three years ago as a reason to give Nani more chance. Why isn't Valencia given the same courtesy?
Because Valencia has had 2 full seasons worth of chances to regain his form. Nani hasn't and neither has Young.