Antonio Valencia signs new contract

ThanksBoss26

Why do the likes of you raid into threads to start some kind of player warfare? Valencia signs contract, so let's pick on some random, often controversial player in an attempt to look the part. Either way, I'll bite, Kagawa has comprehensively outperformed Valencia over the past two seasons. The first of which Valencia produced quite possibly the worst individual season any player has put in under Ferguson while under the tag 'first team regular'.

He wasn't actually as bad last season, and I don't mind keeping him as a squad player, for what it's worth. I would hope to see the likes of De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Welbeck and Jones, all of which have two years remaining, sign up soon too.
Absolutely what I was thinking. You'd expect these players will now have offers on the table too.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Look all I'm saying is that there are atleast 5-6 players I'll move on before thinking about selling Valencia.

He deserves to stay for now.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Out of three wingers that we should get rid of, Valencia would be my last pick so I'm more or less ok with it.
Aye, sums it up for me. He's not been at his best and isn't a world beater by any stretch - but he's a good squad option, better than the alternatives, and if he gets close to his best he could be a real asset for us again. Plus his flexibility is useful.

I suppose as a wing back in a 3-5-2 he's got the right assets
I think he could be excellent there, certainly has the engine and physicality for that role. He'd need to learn it though which would take time, he wasn't always the most convincing when he played right back last season - though a wingback in a 3-5-2 should suit him more due to the reduced defensive responsibility.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Good news he is staying on. His form has dipped in last 2 years but Van Gaal is one coach who gets best out of the players who have right attitude and Tony V is one such guy. It will be good if we can get some more talented winger as well but him staying is a good news, particularly when Young might get sold by LvG and there are doubts about Nani staying.

NMF

He's a confidence player, if Van Gaal can repair his confidence he will be tallying the assists like nobodies business.

And if he doesn't? There are still worse players in the squad who should be shown the door first.
Confidence? Please. Despite being rubbish all of the 12/13 season he was still first choice is that not confidence from Fergie?

Valencia should be gone first because his an athlete not a footballer the guy has no footballing intelligence all he does is run and cross into people's shins.

The Neviller

Why do the likes of you raid into threads to start some kind of player warfare? Valencia signs contract, so let's pick on some random, often controversial player in an attempt to look the part. Either way, I'll bite, Kagawa has comprehensively outperformed Valencia over the past two seasons. The first of which Valencia produced quite possibly the worst individual season any player has put in under Ferguson while under the tag 'first team regular'.

He wasn't actually as bad last season, and I don't mind keeping him as a squad player, for what it's worth. I would hope to see the likes of De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Welbeck and Jones, all of which have two years remaining, sign up soon too.

Your reasoning for his poor form is a bit folly, too. He's been rather wank, primarily because his crossing has been awful and he's struggled when brought onto his inside, at which points he turns back. He really needs to play with more aggression and confidence going forward.
"I hate people who compare one player to another player. As it happens, Kagawa is better than Valencia. So there!"
:lol:

Ekeke

I dont think its confidence, he fell apart right after being awarded our player of the season. If anything its the pressure of being seen as one of the main men and having things like awards that seemed to unsettle him because he's been a mess since.

He still brings energy and tries hard but a lot of the effort is wasted on trying to do things which arent very effective. I think he's just not a clever enough player to make it count.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Aye, sums it up for me. He's not been at his best and isn't a world beater by any stretch - but he's a good squad option, better than the alternatives, and if he gets close to his best he could be a real asset for us again. Plus his flexibility is useful.
Pretty much. He's quite pacey as well which is a good option to have, given that neither Kagawa, Mata nor Roney are fast and we could always use pace of Welbeck or Valencia.

Plus it's not like we know what system we'll be playing next season.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Even if he can't recover his form of a few years ago, he will a good squad player to have. I doubt he will make any fuss about not getting games and he can cover right wing or right back if needed. Works hard and will do what the manager asks of him.

westlife4ever

If we play three CB system then Valencia would be used as a sub for Rafael at RWB.

Djemba-Djemba

Have to say I'm very disappointed with this.

Valencia actually improved last season from his performances in Fergie's last year when he was genuinely useless but he still wasn't good enough. I'm not sure I can take another season of watching him smack the ball as hard as he can into the left backs shins, or if it beats the first man miles out for a throw in.

If he becomes a squad player, a backup winger/emergency right back and we bring in some quality on the wings then fair enough. He can't still be first choice though surely?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Look all I'm saying is that there are atleast 5-6 players I'll move on before thinking about selling Valencia.

He deserves to stay for now.
Who? Genuine question.

Young is probably one but even he hasn't had the same chances as Valencia. Buttner is already gone (as good as).

Kag

"I hate people who compare one player to another player. As it happens, Kagawa is better than Valencia. So there!"
:lol:
My point was spot on. I then said after that "I'll bite," as it were, just to offer my opinion on it. It happens fairly often, Rooney or Van Persie can't score a goal without some arsehole raiding into their threads making some irrelevant, comparative point.

The Neviller

Confidence? Please. Despite being rubbish all of the 12/13 season he was still first choice is that not confidence from Fergie?

Valencia should be gone first because his an athlete not a footballer the guy has no footballing intelligence all he does is run and cross into people's shins.
I'd sooner you were gone than Valencia.

Lowkey

I dont think its confidence, he fell apart right after being awarded our player of the season. If anything its the pressure of being seen as one of the main men and having things like awards that seemed to unsettle him because he's been a mess since.

He still brings energy and tries hard but a lot of the effort is wasted on trying to do things which arent very effective. I think he's just not a clever enough player to make it count.
Maybe being given the no.7 was too much of a burden for him. Looking forward to seeing a new invigorated Valencia next season

KM

Also loving the continuous attacks on Giggs from some of the idiots on here. This place has become a joke, bunch of armchair pundits criticising any other person who doesn't share their "modern" philosophy of playing with false nines, trequartista or whatever new position Jonathan Wilson has come up with.

The Neviller

My point was spot on. I then said after that "I'll bite," as it were, after that. It happens fairly often, Rooney or Van Persie can't score a goal without some arsehole raiding into their threads making some irrelevant, comparative point.
I know, I just thought it was funny.

Ekeke

So Valencia had a bad patch for three years now, and still managed to be one of the most prolific player in PL. The other player that you mention are all in the best context of their careers and need and that needs to continue for them to match Valencia.

But Valencia is supposed to be substandard ?
He hasnt had a bad patch for 3 years

He's had 2 bad seasons after a fantastic one that he's still living off.

To match Valencia's assists for 3 seasons each of those players needs 7 assists a season which they are all capable of.

Kag

Absolutely what I was thinking. You'd expect these players will now have offers on the table too.
De Gea's lack of a new contract could be construed as worrying, actually. Various reports were claiming he was about to sign a new deal as far back as October. I trust we will sort that out though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Who? Genuine question.

Young is probably one but even he hasn't had the same chances as Valencia. Buttner is already gone (as good as).
I'm not KM but for me there is Hernandez, Anderson, Buttner, Young, maybe cleverley, maybe Nani.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

He needs self confidence which I think LVG can help him with. I thought Valencia was terrible last season but it wasn't so long ago he was destroying teams for us. He might get back to that kind of form, he might not but if anyone can do it LVG can.

KM

Who? Genuine question.

Buttner, Anderson, Young are three. Wanted Rio to leave too.

Hernandez(won't stay here as a backup and I don't rate him as highly as Welbeck, Rooney and RVP), Bebe, Cleverley and Nani.

Ekeke

Maybe being given the no.7 was too much of a burden for him. Looking forward to seeing a new invigorated Valencia next season
Thats another good point. He asked for it and then gave it back, suggesting he felt the pressure too much

United22

The best out of our 3 misfiring wingers. Won't be jumping off a bridge unless Young is offered a contract

Manucho the boss

We hand them out like a charity these days. Long gone are the times you had to earn a new contract. We no doubt regret giving Anderson a new deal in the hope of keeping his value high as now we can't offload the fat feck, hope the sane doesn't happen with big Tony V.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
De Gea's lack of a new contract could be construed as worrying, actually. Various reports were claiming he was about to sign a new deal as far back as October. I trust we will sort that out though.
He genuinely seems to really love the club, I have little concern with him signing a new contract and think he will stay here for some time. Why else would he be continually trying to sign every Spaniard up for United?! :p

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well I disagree with that @KM I had forgotten about Anderson though.

Valencia is the most infuriating player I have seen in recent times for United.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He hasnt had a bad patch for 3 years

He's had 2 bad seasons after a fantastic one that he's still living off.

To match Valencia's assists for 3 seasons each of those players needs 7 assists a season which they are all capable of.
Sorry, I meant by being continuously in form for 3 years.

And yeah you're right 3 years ago he was good, i totally forgot that season.

LR7

Should have waited until after we signed Alexis Sanchez before announcing this.
:)

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Also loving the continuous attacks on Giggs from some of the idiots on here. This place has become a joke, bunch of armchair pundits criticising any other person who doesn't share their "modern" philosophy of playing with false nines, trequartista or whatever new position Jonathan Wilson has come up with.
football hipsters galore nowadays.

KM

Well I disagree with that @KM I had forgotten about Anderson though.

Valencia is the most infuriating player I have seen in recent times for United.
He can infuriating but I think he still has value here.

Becknaldolencia

I still think he does his job well. He tracks back and is good a taking the team forward. His crossing is poor mostly but I like his attitude. He always performs in big games.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Not the first announcement we wanted to see this transfer window. The longer we wait, the more players we will have next to van Gaal in a single press conference. It will be even more exciting this way. :drool:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
An interchanging fluid attack with constant movement and incisive passing. Or something.