Antonio Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoony

The People's President
And yet, what if we don't sign a big player likely to be a great number 7 this summer, should we leave it vacent? I don't think that's the way. Someone should take it, and that's that.
People think only great players have worn the number 7 shirt.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
And yet, what if we don't sign a big player likely to be a great number 7 this summer, should we leave it vacent? I don't think that's the way. Someone should take it, and that's that.
Well I wouldn't give it to the first player we sign, if United are still trying to sign other players.

I'd give it to Rooney, or Anderson - hell, i'd give it to Berbatov before Valencia - maybe having the 7 and the history and importance that goes with it might fill Berbatov with a bit more confidence and drive.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
If people think that, if that is the impression of the number 7 jersey, then that is what counts. while average players may have worn it, it has achieved symbolic status having been worn by the likes of Best, Robson, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo - ferguson has enthused about the history and status of the number 7 jersey.

It should be worn next season, but I think it should be worn by a special player - not simply given to the first player we sign just cause he is a RW/RM

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I don't think any really thought he'd become a great, great number 7. I didn't. I hoped that he would - be it wasn't a guarantee. But anyway, it's only a number. And players that no one would regard as great have worn the number 7 shirt.
Agree, No.7 is just a number. What matters is Manchester United Football Club. Selling Ronaldo was a big loss in many aspects, yes but mind you If Ronaldo stopped his foolishness with the press, he's stupid dream about playing for RM, he's whining on the pitch and if he just played for the team more then we wouldn't have been having this discussion. There was too many negatives to SAF so SAF decided to sell the best player in the world, and buy hopefully a better team player that will make our team better. Anyway, good judgement by SAF and let's hope Valencia will prove his critics all wrong and we'll win more League trophies than Liverpool.

Amir

Well I wouldn't give it to the first player we sign, if United are still trying to sign other players.

I'd give it to Rooney, or Anderson - hell, i'd give it to Berbatov before Valencia - maybe having the 7 and the history and importance that goes with it might fill Berbatov with a bit more confidence and drive.
Or it may do the same to Valencia. He may well become a very good player for us. There was a reason Fergie insisted Ronaldo took number 7 and there was a reason he gave Carrick 16. Part of that was to show that no matter who has left, the club moves on. For me, that's even more important than to make sure number 7 is worn only by a truly special player rather than 'just' a very good one.

apple-shampoo

Wouldn't have lessen the meaning of the numbers even more? I always think of 7 and 11 being the numbers of the two wingers, with 9 and 10 being upfront.

If Valencia is going to come here and become first choice for the right wing, then I have no problem with him playing the number that is traditionally associated with that position.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Wouldn't have lessen the meaning of the numbers even more? I always think of 7 and 11 being the numbers of the two wingers, with 9 and 10 being upfront.

If Valencia is going to come here and become first choice for the right wing, then I have no problem with him playing the number that is traditionally associated with that position.
Why would it lessen the meaning - and possibly the most iconic number 7 of all is Cantona, who was certainly not a winger, neither was Robson who was also an iconic number 7.

izzydiggler

Whilst it's not a big deal what shirt he gets, giving him the no 7 one, immediately puts a lot more pressure on him. And for those saying that he's 'not a Ronaldo replacement', being given his shirt number and playing in the same position would largely indicate that he is (of course it's all theoretical at the minute).

But I remember the same said about Carrick and he wasn't been 'weighed down' by it. Some players just don't respond very well and others do. Ferguson has always spoken of that unseen quality of being a "Manchester United player". I guess we will have to wait and see which one he is but regardless of squad number, if he's playing at Old Trafford every other week, there'll be plenty of pressure on him anyway.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
No.

There's a reason why Huntelaar's part of a dying breed, especially at top clubs, and why he was a back-up striker at one of the worst Madrid teams in recent history, and we didn't include him in the Ronaldo deal which pretty much rules out the move altogether.
And that reason is?

I'd have said that its because teams are ever-more putting emphasis on the lone striker - in a sense making the goalscoring function less important than being quick, strong and a target. After all, the move to 4/5/1, 4/3/3, 4/2/3/1 et al means that the goal load is spread around the pitch a bit more.

Is that what you'd say?

I must say, I have barely seen Huntelaar play, but am aware of his goalscoring prowess, hence I am fishing for info.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
With regards to Beckham - he didn't get the 7 jersey til he had proven himself at United, and was a special player at the club. Ronaldo had a special talent and was an exciting player.

Valencia doesn't have to flair of Ronaldo, and hasn't proven himself at United. The number 7 jersey should be worn by a sepecial player - Valencia is not a special player.
Beckham wore the number seven from the start of the Treble season, if I am not mistaken. That season was arguably his greatest in a United shirt - he made 23 assists and got a fair few goals as well. Wasn't he given Ballon d'Or/Fifa World Player recognition (top 3) after that season? That would suggest that whilst he was established before this, his greatest moment came after receiving the shirt.

Valencia is more established than Ronaldo was when he took the shirt. Sure he was talented, but there was no way of telling that he would become such a star.

When you think about it, what difference does the number make. It is an utter nonsense. The reason that that shirt has had such great wearers is because Manchester United have traditionally had brilliant attacking players. For this very reason, some brilliant players have worn 8, 9, 10, 11. Come to think of it, some great players have worn 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 as well. This numbers rubbish is nonsense.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Amir

It's the club's official site. They wouldn't sanction such an article unless it was a done deal.
And I'm sure it is, but it's all a little silly with the club not even saying a fee was agreed.

Beckham wore the number seven from the start of the Treble season, if I am not mistaken. That season was arguably his greatest in a United shirt
Beckham took 7 right after Cantona retired, in 1997.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
And I'm sure it is, but it's all a little silly with the club not even saying a fee was agreed.

Beckham took 7 right after Cantona retired, in 1997.
On the Valencia point, the article is written from a purely speculative POV. As in, "if the deal goes through."

On the Beckham point - that emphasises what I am saying. He became great in that shirt. He didn't take it because he was already great.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Me too. Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo had seven letters in their surnames, Valencia has eight. We're breaking the spell.
Not if we hand it to Benzema... Haha sorry.. But seriously I think Valencia will get either 25 or 27!

With number 7 either going to a new winger if we sign one or a striker (depending on who we sign) or to one of the youngsters.. my money is on either Ljajic or Welbeck getting it..

Johan77

Carrick's number 16 can't be ordered at the official shop. All other players shirts can be ordered, but not Carrick's. Maybe He will wear number 7 and Valencia will pick up number 16, as he had in Wigan and has in the national team?
The mystery thickens...

:lol:

twitter thread suggester
Carrick's number 16 can't be ordered at the official shop. All other players shirts can be ordered, but not Carrick's. Maybe He will wear number 7 and Valencia will pick up number 16, as he had in Wigan and has in the national team?
The mystery thickens...

As obscure theories goes, that's pretty impressive.
Doubt Carrick would get 7 though.

gaffs

The mystery thickens...

No way.

Carricks not the type of player to ask for it or for Fergie to hand it to.

Hes already got the Keane 16.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
With regards to Beckham - he didn't get the 7 jersey til he had proven himself at United, and was a special player at the club. Ronaldo had a special talent and was an exciting player.

Valencia doesn't have to flair of Ronaldo, and hasn't proven himself at United. The number 7 jersey should be worn by a sepecial player - Valencia is not a special player.
Ronaldo when he signed at 18 was hardly proven. Beckham got the number 7 shirt after Sheringham arrived because Sheringham asked could he have the number 10 shirt (he liked that number), Beckham seemd to like wearing the number 7 because Robson was his hero. Cantona got the number 7 shirt because Robson got injured. The whole shirt numbers thing is over hyped.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
The mystery thickens...

No way.

Carricks not the type of player to ask for it or for Fergie to hand it to.

Hes already got the Keane 16.
I agree.. I don't think Carrick will be asked to give up his number..

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Ronaldo when he signed at 18 was hardly proven. Beckham got the number 7 shirt after Sheringham arrived because Sheringham asked could he have the number 10 shirt (he liked that number), Beckham seemd to like wearing the number 7 because Robson was his hero. Cantona got the number 7 shirt because Robson got injured. The whole shirt numbers thing is over hyped.
I never said Ronaldo was proven, so there is no need for you to say it to me.

It may be over hyped and just a number to you, but it is not 'just a number' to a lot of united fans, to United players, or indeed to Sir Alex Ferguson, amongst others.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I never said Ronaldo was proven, so there is no need for you to say it to me.

It may be over hyped and just a number to you, but it is not 'just a number' to a lot of united fans, to United players, or indeed to Sir Alex Ferguson, amongst others.
No. It's just a number.

Amir

On the Valencia point, the article is written from a purely speculative POV. As in, "if the deal goes through."
Aye, but they wouldn't do it on, say, Leo Messi, would they? I just find it funny it's the opening article. It should either be second or third, or they should wait with it until they can confirm the deal.

acnumber9

Beckham wore the number seven from the start of the Treble season, if I am not mistaken. That season was arguably his greatest in a United shirt - he made 23 assists and got a fair few goals as well. Wasn't he given Ballon d'Or/Fifa World Player recognition (top 3) after that season? That would suggest that whilst he was established before this, his greatest moment came after receiving the shirt.

Valencia is more established than Ronaldo was when he took the shirt. Sure he was talented, but there was no way of telling that he would become such a star.

When you think about it, what difference does the number make. It is an utter nonsense. The reason that that shirt has had such great wearers is because Manchester United have traditionally had brilliant attacking players. For this very reason, some brilliant players have worn 8, 9, 10, 11. Come to think of it, some great players have worn 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 as well. This numbers rubbish is nonsense.

Beckham took the number 7 shirt on when Cantona left in 97. The world Cup in 98 was what drove Beckham that season in my opinion. Beckham was always at his best when he had a point to prove.

cj_sparky

I wouldn't give the No.7 to Berbatov, soley as I think the soppy press would forever be comparing Berba with King Eric and he doesn't need any more pressure. In the same vein I wouldn't give it to Nani, being hailed as the "New
Ronaldo" when he came. I think it would be added pressure if he got it.

As for whom to give it too, the numbers 16, 18 and 11 are pretty iconic in our midfield. It wouldn't bother me giving it to Valencia, it would be a nice show of faith from Fergie straight out he gates.

Otherwise I think Fletch would be a decent shout to pick up the No7.

Valentino

Otherwise I think Fletch would be a decent shout to pick up the No7.
My first thought after Carrick was suggested, why not Fletcher. IMO if we don't sign anyone Fergie's bastard son would the best candidate to carry on the legacy of number 7. It would also be a great encouragment for Fletch to shine in the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.