Antonio Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

muller

Agree, puts a bit of sense into the whole situation.

SAF isn't trying to replace Ronaldo with Valencia, who could you "replace" Ronaldo with anyway. IMO we will have two out and out wingers (unlike Ronaldo who drifted up front more often) and give Rooney the chance to shine as our main striker.

People may doubt that this lad isn't United quality but I think give him a chance, he has all the qualities to be a top top winger.
Please, please.

muller

I totally agree. I fecking love Rooney, devoted, class, amazing, content, I just wish he was a bit more selfish sometimes. I hope next year he has his change, I have money on him at 14/1 to be PL top goalscorer. Which he will if hes allowed to prowl the box.

anver

Shart stop
Premier League - United close to Valencia deal

Eurosport - Tue, 30 Jun 09:13:00 2009

Manchester United are inching closer to making Antonio Valencia their first signing of the summer.
FOOTBALL winger Luis Antonio Valencia, who insisted he is happy at Wigan despite reported interest from Manchester United and Real Madrid.

The Wigan winger has cut his summer break short to try and complete his move to Old Trafford.

And the £16 million deal is expected to be confirmed this week as Sir Alex Ferguson begins the task of spending the world record £80m fee United have just banked for the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo.

They hope Valencia, who scored just three Premier League goals last term, might be able to replicate the pace and dribbling ability of Ronaldo. However, getting anywhere near his goals output might be far more difficult, a factor emphasised at the JJB Stadium last month when the Ecuador flyer missed a sitter in the defeat to United.

Certainly most United fans - and probably Ferguson himself - would be disappointed if there were not further signings by September 1 given the problems he is juggling with.

As well as Ronaldo, the loss of Carlos Tevez, seemingly bound for rivals Manchester City, leaves another gap.

Karim Benzema has been touted as a potential replacement but has already given vibes he may prefer to go elsewhere, and even then in another year's time.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is another option but the Dutchman is more of a Ruud van Nistelrooy-type figure and Ferguson has been building his teams in a different way of late.

At the back of Ferguson's mind will also be the knowledge Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Edwin van der Sar are all preparing for what is expected to be their final season of top-flight action, with Gary Neville not far behind.

Twelve months ago, United appeared to have the replacements in place but doubts have emerged over Nani, Anderson and Ben Foster, leaving Ferguson with more big decisions to make. There are further question marks over midfielder Owen Hargreaves, who is hoping to return from two years wrecked by a tendinitis problem, and record signing Dimitar Berbatov, who was inconsistent in his debut season.
PA Sport

Member 5225

I'm more worried about this:

Manchester United are expected to complete the signing of Wigan forward Antonio Valencia later this week, and Sir Alex Ferguson will hand the Ecuadorian the iconic number seven shirt recently vacated by Cristiano Ronaldo, and previously worn by George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona and David Beckham.

The 23-year-old will undoubtedly have to contend with the inevitable comparisons with the current world and European player of the year Ronaldo, and according to reports in the Daily Express, Ferguson will place his faith in the youngster by giving him United’s most iconic jersey.

Newspaper reports suggest the player completed a medical yesterday having cut short his holiday early and the Wigan player will finalise a deal at some stage this week.

United were convinced of his ability during Wigan’s two games against the Champions last year, when his pace, industry and directness troubled them sufficiently to invest an expected fee of £16 million.

Manchester United faced stiff opposition from Real Madrid, however it is believed the player only wanted to sign for United once he had heard of their interest.
I'm sorry but that's telling me he IS the Ronaldo replacement, next icon, etc
and I'd be worried if it's true....

Feed Me

I'm hungry
If we are building a team based around more traditional wing play, then would Huntelaar be a better acquisition than Benzema?

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Agree, puts a bit of sense into the whole situation.

SAF isn't trying to replace Ronaldo with Valencia, who could you "replace" Ronaldo with anyway. IMO we will have two out and out wingers (unlike Ronaldo who drifted up front more often) and give Rooney the chance to shine as our main striker.

People may doubt that this lad isn't United quality but I think give him a chance, he has all the qualities to be a top top winger.
if we go to out and out wingers, as seems likely, I think we need to add a new goal threat from midfield - we need a player in midfield that will get us 10+ goals a season, to help Rooney and Berbatov, and whoever else we have as our strikers.

Looking at the squad, unless there is serious improvement in Valencia (should he sign), Nani and Anderson we are going to be relying on the strikers far too much. the three players mentioned should be capable of getting goals, they all have the talent, but whether they actually get the goals is another matter.

We need to ensure the opposition are worried about us getting goals from midfield, which without Ronaldo they currently won't be, really, imo.

MUFCgal

If we are building a team based around more traditional wing play, then would Huntelaar be a better acquisition than Benzema?
Yes, I think he would. If we are going down the route of traditional wing play, getting crosses in etc. then yes I think Huntelaar might be more suited to that. I wouldn't be surprised if we got Huntelaar.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
He would be more suited to one style of play, but even if we do go to a 442, our style of play will not be rigid - Benzema would still offer more, overall, than Huntelaar. He would be better at counter attacking and using the ball himself. I think Benzema would be a better foil for Rooney, and Berbatov.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yes, I think he would. If we are going down the route of traditional wing play, getting crosses in etc. then yes I think Huntelaar might be more suited to that. I wouldn't be surprised if we got Huntelaar.
Considering that a lot of people have been floating the idea of building a team with not necessarily the biggest names, but more the most suitable players, then I'd agree.

He'd come at a reasonable price and although strikers from the Dutch league tend to be quite hit and miss, Huntelaar does look as though he has more of the Nistelrooy than the Kezman about him.

He is different to our other strikers in that he is more single minded and occupies different spaces to the other forwards. I think his style could compliment both Berbatov and Rooney.

Centre forwards whose prime role is to get in the danger zone and put the ball in the net seem to be a bit out of fashion at the minute. There seems to be an emphasis on all action strikers. I wouldn't be averse to having someone like Huntelaar in the squad - he'd probably come half as cheap as Benzema. He's just as proven.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No.

There's a reason why Huntelaar's part of a dying breed, especially at top clubs, and why he was a back-up striker at one of the worst Madrid teams in recent history, and we didn't include him in the Ronaldo deal which pretty much rules out the move altogether.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Er, where did Best arrive from?
Robson from.... err WBA.
David Beckham superstar... did his apprenticeship at PNE.

Prat.
With regards to Beckham - he didn't get the 7 jersey til he had proven himself at United, and was a special player at the club. Ronaldo had a special talent and was an exciting player.

Valencia doesn't have to flair of Ronaldo, and hasn't proven himself at United. The number 7 jersey should be worn by a sepecial player - Valencia is not a special player.

Spoony

The People's President
With regards to Beckham - he didn't get the 7 jersey til he had proven himself at United, and was a special player at the club. Ronaldo had a special talent and was an exciting player.

Valencia doesn't have to flair of Ronaldo, and hasn't proven himself at United. The number 7 jersey should be worn by a sepecial player - Valencia is not a special player.
When we bought Ronaldo people thought he wasn't fit to wear the number 7.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
When we bought Ronaldo people thought he wasn't fit to wear the number 7.
Because he wasn't a proven player, yeah, but he was clearly a special talent that most felt could potentially become a great, great number 7 for us.

I do think Valencia will be a good signing for us, but I just don't see him becoming a special or iconic player - the type of player that should have the number 7, imo.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Can we not discuss this IF Valencia is given the number 7 shirt?

Personally I think one of the young lads will get it (Petrucci, Ljajic, or Welbeck) but I wouldn't care if they gave it to Valencia.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
No.

There's a reason why Huntelaar's part of a dying breed, especially at top clubs, and why he was a back-up striker at one of the worst Madrid teams in recent history, and we didn't include him in the Ronaldo deal which pretty much rules out the move altogether.
Because not enough players are good enough being just "goal poachers" for the top teams want....but his main strength is good enough for a top team. Madrid already have players who aren't afraid to get in behind teams, we don't.

Can we really keep Benzema, rooney and Berbatov happy? Before you say that Huntelaar doesn't want to be third choice either, he was given less opportunities at madrid than our third choice striker was last season.

Spoony

The People's President
Because he wasn't a proven player, yeah, but he was clearly a special talent that most felt could potentially become a great, great number 7 for us.

I do think Valencia will be a good signing for us, but I just don't see him becoming a special or iconic player - the type of player that should have the number 7, imo.
I don't think any really thought he'd become a great, great number 7. I didn't. I hoped that he would - be it wasn't a guarantee. But anyway, it's only a number. And players that no one would regard as great have worn the number 7 shirt.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
I don't think any really thought he'd become a great, great number 7. I didn't. I hoped that he would - be it wasn't a guarantee. But anyway, it's only a number. And players that no one would regard as great have worn the number 7 shirt.
As I said, you could see the potential in Ronaldo - maybe some didn't think that he would fulfill it, but the potential was there for all to see.

It may only be a number to you, but it is more symbolic to a lot of United fans, players and staff.

Amir

It may only be a number to you, but it is more symbolic to a lot of United fans, players and staff.
And yet, what if we don't sign a big player likely to be a great number 7 this summer, should we leave it vacent? I don't think that's the way. Someone should take it, and that's that.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Even with the traditional wing play, I still reckon Benzema will be way better than a Huntelaar style. Although the price is another story.

Spoony

The People's President
As I said, you could see the potential in Ronaldo - maybe some didn't think that he would fulfill it, but the potential was there for all to see.

Bryan Robson will always symbolise the number 7 for me. And Cantona too, to a lesser extent(he didn't always wear the number 7). But Ronaldo and Beckham didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.