2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sylar

He's worse than Pepe was for arsenal. That says a lot.

Even if we paid 25m for him, it would be horrible. If he was somebody that came through youth we would be saying he needs a loan or to be sold

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I haven’t forgotten the think pieces from our resident ‘experts’ on how he’d be part of the radical shift to a possession based team and all the balance he’d offer. At the end of the season there were still some blaming everyone else for his poor form be it now overlapping RB or no striker. This lad could have Cafu playing behind him and Van Basten up front and still be shite.

I spotted it within his first 10 games that he was a joke, probably even before that just looking at his Ajax videos but you had crazy people claiming he could be a new Robben.
Mate, you only have to go back a few weeks ago to find people adamant that United couldn’t forgo his hardwork after his cameo versus Newcastle.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I think a radical solution is in order. Loan him out to another English club (that Amad cameo has me thinking.) He has three seasons left on his contract after this one. He's young enough to salvage. Let him go learn English football away from the spotlight.

Hackman2210

Realistically though - If ETH says lets get Antony. Who sets the agrees the fee? ETH may be thinking lets get Antony £30-50m (which is over the odds) then our inept negotiating team take over and feck the whole thing up. Have they not heard the adage - Buy Low sell High?? We are consistently fleeced on selling players and consistently fleeced on buying players. I hope Ineos correct that situation first. Its hard to watch us having our pants pulled down on every transfer and even harder to see it jammed up our arse's when the player inevitably flops.

Sancho and Antony = £158,000,000 plus wages of £104,000,000 over 4 years. Qtr of a billion down the drain Antony/Sancho score again!

Kaizane

I genuinely think I might be a better footballer than Antony...

The cowardice is unreal, nevermind him not being able to beat a man, he's too scared to. There was a moment when he received the ball and had their fullback isolated. He could have knocked it past him or found a pass and we would've been in. Instead he does this weird backward slaloming dribble out of play. Isn't the fullback meant to back off out of fear of being done? Defenders have zero respect for him because they know he'll never go past them.

Amad came on and immediately we were in behind and had a shot on goal made from the right. He then has defenders backing off him, he's able to enter their area, work enough space for a shot on target. Basic stuff, but we are so deprived down the right that anything as basic as this looks decent in comparison to what Antony serves up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I haven’t forgotten the think pieces from our resident ‘experts’ on how he’d be part of the radical shift to a possession based team and all the balance he’d offer. At the end of the season there were still some blaming everyone else for his poor form be it now overlapping RB or no striker. This lad could have Cafu playing behind him and Van Basten up front and still be shite.

I spotted it within his first 10 games that he was a joke, probably even before that just looking at his Ajax videos but you had crazy people claiming he could be a new Robben.
I can hold my hand up as a portion of this, but to this day, it makes no sense whatsoever to have bought this player in, weaknesses and all, and not provide him with the players of equal competency to what he had at his previous club.

It's a simple fact that he had a world class overlapper doing all the heavy lifting and running for him at Ajax.

For all the stick he gets, and warrants, we play a style of football so far removed from what he was purchased from it makes no sense at all why we did all that and then did nothing at all to cater to his needs. It really was setting him up to fail and it makes the piece of business so many times worse considering Kudus was there if we were intending to isolate the winger.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Even if we paid 25m for him, it would be horrible. If he was somebody that came through youth we would be saying he needs a loan or to be sold
If he came through the youth he'd have already been binned off by now. No way you would persist with a youth prospect this bad.

Hell we (rightfully) binned off Elanga and he is far better then Antony.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
His stats v Forest are pathetic. And it’s not an isolated performance.

Either Ten Hag doesn’t see clear evidence or he’s stubborn. Either will get him sacked.

Club should have said “no, you can’t have him, he’s over priced”.. but we walked away from Ajax initially then doubled down by going back then tripled down (c) by smelling of desperation and got fleeced. Just a perfect storm of uselessness.

https://x.com/StatmanDave/status/1741169694806069291?s=20

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I think the fee is influencing our decisions … and it shouldn’t. Persisting with something because of the fee is a false economy… good organisations cut their losses when evidence clearly says they should. I think SJR would/will

Abraxas

I don’t even see 15 million footballer; that gets you Elanga, and he looks far more effective than Antony.
True, but I'm including potential in that, such as it exists with Antony. He can be a tidy footballer with a better technical level than someone like Elanga. But not as much pace, limited goal threat. In a suitable club. Not at this level and probably not in this league.

edgecutter

Not his fault he's played every game he's available for. Not his fault he was bought for stupid money. Not his fault that his output is shit as it was shit in the Dutch league as well. Blame the whole structure at United for such a stupid transfer and the same will be said about Mount.

Captmfla

Relax people. It's not like other clubs get the best buys anyway.

Man City - Grealish
Liverpool - Gakpo
Spurs - Richarlison
Chelsea - Mudryk, Enzo, Caicedo, Lukaku
Arsenal - Havertz, Pepe

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wouldn’t mind him as backup but we need to upgrade on him. If we have more faith in Diallo just sell him before his value is negligible. I was defensive of Antony and off the ball he’s very good but he’s absolutely hopeless in attack. He and everyone else around him knows he can’t hurt defences and is only good and recycling the ball in non dangerous areas.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wouldn’t mind him as backup but we need to upgrade on him. If we have more faith in Diallo just sell him before his value is negligible. I was defensive of Antony and off the ball he’s very good but he’s absolutely hopeless in attack. He and everyone else around him knows he can’t hurt defences and is only good and recycling the ball in non dangerous areas.
But, why? A back up still plays a lot of games and Antony is useless against any fullback he's up against.

Lee565

It's not even his pace that let's him, you see plenty of wingers with a real lack of pace that are far, far better than him, you only have to look at Man City wingers, he's not even that good at dribbling.

Even Fernandes is a far more effective on the right than Antony, I probably would even prefer to eriksen start on the right before Antony, at least eriksen could deliver a good cross

DavidDeSchmikes

you never feel he has either the skill or pace to beat a defender. Try jobs sideways before cutting on his left
MOTD last week showed the times he constantly kept trying to play through players

Valencia Shin Crosses

Obviously why we bought him was because we appointed Erik and we had to back the coach but I watched the vid of Malacia having him in his back pocket in one game and he only cost us 14mil so things just did not add up.
It seems more and more clear to me that it’s just smarter with wingers to bet on the ones with real explosive pace/strength and hope to coach the production in as opposed to taking someone with good production in a lesser league but lacking a physical threat unless the player is an absolute technical magician on the ball. Diaby and Kudus being obvious recent examples of the former.

Skills

Snitch
Can't blame the fans as I bet they are not even familiar with the player before he signed for us, and just putting their blind faith on him because they trust the new manager or something. Also I remember there were big concerns on his numbers in poor league, and the price tag too. in the end fans just went with the notion that the player is going to explode soon because they trust ETH should know his stuffs or something, and we are buying a player who is perfect for ETH system, and on his rise.
Nah, his numbers were underwhelming. If you've got access to this forum, you've also got access to YouTube - and if you saw his highlight reels, and came way anything but underwhelmed you really should be questioning how much you're actually getting out of watching this sport.

Red_toad

I wonder how he's going to ever get back to form. Shows a decent first touch, then looks like he's never played football before, he's far more capable than he's showing. But for me Amad, Garnacho and Pellistri have all contributed more this season on the right, so I'd have him as 4th choice. We're not going to ever be able to sell him, as no way is anyone (not even Saudi) giving him 200k a week.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Realistically though - If ETH says lets get Antony. Who sets the agrees the fee? ETH may be thinking lets get Antony £30-50m (which is over the odds) then our inept negotiating team take over and feck the whole thing up. Have they not heard the adage - Buy Low sell High?? We are consistently fleeced on selling players and consistently fleeced on buying players. I hope Ineos correct that situation first. Its hard to watch us having our pants pulled down on every transfer and even harder to see it jammed up our arse's when the player inevitably flops.

Sancho and Antony = £158,000,000 plus wages of £104,000,000 over 4 years. Qtr of a billion down the drain Antony/Sancho score again!
The issue is that we had to wait initially on Antony because Ten Hag was CONVINCED De Jong wanted to join (he didn’t) and thus we chased him for the better part of 2 months. Then after we finally gave up, we TL returned to Ajax and Ten Hag insisted we sign Antony even when the price had now been raised to 80m. Wanting to sign him for 40-50m is bad enough. Still insisting we get him when he costs almost double that is sackable.

Lee565

The issue is that we had to wait initially on Antony because Ten Hag was CONVINCED De Jong wanted to join (he didn’t) and thus we chased him for the better part of 2 months. Then after we finally gave up, we TL returned to Ajax and Ten Hag insisted we sign Antony even when the price had now been raised to 80m. Wanting to sign him for 40-50m is bad enough. Still insisting we get him when he costs almost double that is sackable.
The fee should be put to the side, the real issue is the fact that ten hag managed Antony the season prior and still insisted on him being a priority signing for the 1st team on the right wing.

We have made some lousy signings in the past but with the likes of sancho, di maria, pogba, sanchez, mata you could forgive the managers for believing they potentially were going to be good additions to the first team but Antony showed nothing to warrant the same faith

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s comically bad for us but not in the funny way someone like Bebe was.

Shark

@NotShark
If any player sums up this season, and ETH's management, it's Antony. He's an embodiment of everything that's gone wrong, similar to Fellaini under Moyes.

Paul778

I've just looked on tranfermarkt and it looks like he's on 10m per year.

I can understand why Ajax took us for a bath but who the feck negotiated his personal terms?

Anyone know what he was on at Ajax? I would be astounded if he was on more than 2m per year there

Why do we keep doing this? Who else in the world would have offered him over 100k / week?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I wouldn’t sign him for £10m. He’s a poor player. Memphis was twice the player.

Abraxas

Relax people. It's not like other clubs get the best buys anyway.

Man City - Grealish
Liverpool - Gakpo
Spurs - Richarlison
Chelsea - Mudryk, Enzo, Caicedo, Lukaku
Arsenal - Havertz, Pepe
Most of them are much better than Antony. Only Pepe rivals him.

Skills

Snitch
Pepe actually scored 15+ goals in his second season and actually played well in France before Arsenal bought him, Antony is in a tier lower than even him.
Yup. Players who were previously good, but couldn't translate their previous levels to a new team or club are somewhat understandable as bad signings. It maybe shows a lack of thoroughness in the recruitment process especially if it's an expensive player.

A player like Antony, who'd never shown anything in terms of ability, production or anything of the sort prior to joining us for that sort of money is complete and utter negligence. That should never, ever be happening.

RedRocket9908

Pepe actually scored 15+ goals in his second season and actually played well in France before Arsenal bought him, Antony is in a tier lower than even him.
I think the stick Antony gets from his own fans is completely unjustified, yes we overpaid for him but to make claims like "he is the worst signing in our history" is really unfair.

Antony's output goalwise and assist wise has been hampered both by his managers tactics and the players around him not being good enough.

Put Antony in a side with proper attackers alongside him and tactics that dont stifle the attacking phase and you'll see a much better output.

mu4c_20le

I think the stick Antony gets from his own fans is completely unjustified, yes we overpaid for him but to make claims like "he is the worst signing in our history" is really unfair.

Antony's output goalwise and assist wise has been hampered both by his managers tactics and the players around him not being good enough.

Put Antony in a side with proper attackers alongside him and tactics that dont stifle the attacking phase and you'll see a much better output.
p4p worst signing in our history. better?

Piskin

He is not going to improve at this stage. He brings nothing to the team. I still cannot believe that Ten Hag rated him.