2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

mav_9me

I would try him as defensive mid. We are desperate for one after all, and the qualities he has seem to suit, he reads the game, tackles, keeps possession well and is press-resistant, with the energy we need to boot. I obviously don't know if it would work out but I'd give it a try.
Have you noticed how often he gives away simple passes? He'd be a disaster as a DM

TheRedHearted

Our player contracts need to have incentives built in to get the pay they want.
Being able to beat your man, make a successful pass, get an assist, score a goal, not look like a fcukin fanny. You know; measurable things like that
That’s the thing too, the transfer fee was so high why the hell was he given 200,000 a week? The club should have said, start lower, you do well here we will bump it up. 100,000 even seems too high.

“Hey we just spent 87 million on you… you’re not getting 200,000.

Stuu

I had faith in Ten Hag when he brought Anthony in that since he'd worked with him he knew something others did not. The hope is that the kid is going to come in and work really hard on his game and show steady progression. Now, almost 2 years later if anything his game has regressed. How is that possible for a professional footballer of his age when he hasn't even had a major injury?? There is an interview with Salah where he talks about how he set up a goal in his back garden and worked on his game even after coming home from normal training. What the hell is Anthony doing every day (other than getting involved in domestic disputes)? Gary Neville is onto something when he talks about how the club needs to be setting high standards at every level. It is clear that Anthony got his big move to United and then instead of working hard to get himself to the next level has decided to coast. This is his attitude and it's not going to change.

United888

The problem about Antony is that he’s too predictable. Opposition players always block the path of him cutting inside because they know Antony can’t do anything with his right foot. So even when he beats his men in a straight line, he can’t cross or pass the ball with his right foot, instead he either stop and pass back or the ball going out for throw in. Because of this, he offers nothing on the ball.

Instead of thinking about just selling, I think we need to simplify his game much more by playing him on the left, don’t play him on the right and focus more on crossing and providing service to the striker with his left foot.

I remember there was stats of how low the amount of passing and crossing Garnacho and Antony make to Hojlund and I think by playing Antony on the left, it will improve the stats, it will increase the chance of Hojlund scoring goals, improve our xG, and his decision making. We did this to Garnacho and I thought it worked well and I hope we no longer see Antony playing on the right anymore.

Rashford Hojlund Garnacho
Antony Hojlund Amad

Last edited:

Leethal

Purchasing this guy is a sackable offence in it's own, and almost warrants in investigation into corruption between Ten Hag and his former employer, Ajax. Yes, he's that bad. And yes, we paid 80m for him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What's even more surprising is that he's been here for almost a year and he still hasn't found a decent dermatologist to remove his acnes.

marktan

I had faith in Ten Hag when he brought Anthony in that since he'd worked with him he knew something others did not. The hope is that the kid is going to come in and work really hard on his game and show steady progression. Now, almost 2 years later if anything his game has regressed. How is that possible for a professional footballer of his age when he hasn't even had a major injury?? There is an interview with Salah where he talks about how he set up a goal in his back garden and worked on his game even after coming home from normal training. What the hell is Anthony doing every day (other than getting involved in domestic disputes)? Gary Neville is onto something when he talks about how the club needs to be setting high standards at every level. It is clear that Anthony got his big move to United and then instead of working hard to get himself to the next level has decided to coast. This is his attitude and it's not going to change.
Unfortunately ETH fell for the same trap a lot of managers do - they fell for stats without taking into account the team and league they played for.

- Antony - heavily dominant attacking Ajax team against crap defences
- Sancho - same above with Dortmund. 19/20 Dortmund scored like twice the amount of goals Villa did the league
- Lukaku - Tuchel saw the goals but failed to realise that Lukaku played in a counter attacking Inter that allowed him to run at defences and use his pace. He was shite against low blocks for United

ETH probably thought he just needs to recreate Ajax here and it'd all be good.. which would be a good idea if you could import the other 19 teams of the Eeredivisie to play against too. A real scout could spend 10 minutes looking at Antony's goals and assists in his final season at Ajax and see how limited he was and how almost none of that would translate to the PL

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The problem with Antony is that he acts like he is prime Ronaldo, he has that swagger and exudes a false sense of purposeful confidence only to be brushed aside when he has the ball. This lack of self-awareness is to me the defining trait that will always plague his game and one that may even lead him to playing for a championship club in the future.

SER19

Do you not think it coincidental that he was getting a lot of criticism last season you felt unfair but now think is somewhat justified? As in Antony is now living up to the criticism you felt was was wrong. What are the chances?

Could it be people some fans last season could see the writing on wall just a bit quicker than yourself?
No, you're acting as if there aren't degrees of criticism. Even his biggest supporters last season could point to obvious weaknesses and areas of concern, but there is a grade between criticism and youtube like comments about a player being 'a fraud', 'shit' 'championship level' and even worse. If he manages to turn anything around and achieves a good level, will you be racing in here to find posters who could see somethine 'a bit quicker than yourself'? Probably not, the reality is that those at real extremes of opinions are almost always wrong, hyperbolic and hard to take seriously.

John Blund

Worse than Bebe.
Arguably, if you disregard the transfer fee. If you include the transfer fee, he's clearly worse.
The last 7-8 years we've made a bunch of shait transfers. Pogba, Donny, Sancho, Sanchez. If we can cut our losses on him, he might be in the league of Zaha and Depay when we look back on him.

RedIan

I think theres a half decent footballer in Anthony but hes no right winger. I dont understand why he doesnt play left side? He maybe better as an 8 or 10, just not for us.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You are not allowed to speak sense here. I guess you didn’t receive the memo. This thread has to go only one way = bashing Antony.

We have a bunch of clowns here who’ve never kicked a ball saying stuff like: He’s a championship player, he’s the worst Utd player of all time, Bebe was better.

There is no use in arguing with such people. He is a scapegoat and will remain the same until we start winning games by 3 goals and he has a goal or assist in every game.

People just don’t like his face or whatever. Just a bunch of idiots with no objectivity in their posts. I mean he gave a pass on a plate to Garnacho the other game. If he finishes that, Antony gets an assist and all the 348 mins per xG BS stat reduces by a lot.

People want him to produce in a team that has the one of the lowest goals, no patterns of play, has no movement, no overlapping fullbacks, are clueless in attack, rely on individual brilliance.

He is a modern player, a cog in a machine, not an individual player like these Utd fans want to see. He will never be good enough for them. Will probably be phenomenal in a well functioning side.
Good. We will have no problem selling him for big money to Real Madrid then.

Kostov

Apparently he's on 200k a week here. He was on 25k a week at Ajax :lol:

20m player at best, he'd do well to forge a career at Everton or Fulham

Awful player
And you have United fans still talking crap about how much DDG was earning or previously Rooney. :lol:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Arguably, if you disregard the transfer fee. If you include the transfer fee, he's clearly worse.
The last 7-8 years we've made a bunch of shait transfers. Pogba, Donny, Sancho, Sanchez. If we can cut our losses on him, he might be in the league of Zaha and Depay when we look back on him.
Pogba doesn't deserve to be in with that group. He wasn't as much of a success as what we wanted, but he was still one of our best players until he got destroyed by injuries. Obviously we lost out financially but at least we got four years of decent performances. All of the others were utter failures on the pitch as well as a waste of money.

Marwood

No, you're acting as if there aren't degrees of criticism. Even his biggest supporters last season could point to obvious weaknesses and areas of concern, but there is a grade between criticism and youtube like comments about a player being 'a fraud', 'shit' 'championship level' and even worse. If he manages to turn anything around and achieves a good level, will you be racing in here to find posters who could see somethine 'a bit quicker than yourself'? Probably not, the reality is that those at real extremes of opinions are almost always wrong, hyperbolic and hard to take seriously.
You say they're extreme opinions but haven't they turned out to be correct? Or much oser to correct than saying he's a decent player/ok player.

He is shit. Possibly championship level. Fraud maybe in that there's absolutely no way he should be playing at this level.

That's what I'm saying. The predictions last season have turned out to be largely true.

Rossa

How do you know these things as facts? I mean, it's even clear to you. Do you have a ph.d. and then some in psychology?

SER19

You say they're extreme opinions but haven't they turned out to be correct? Or much oser to correct than saying he's a decent player/ok player.

He is shit. Possibly championship level. Fraud maybe in that there's absolutely no way he should be playing at this level.

That's what I'm saying. The predictions last season have turned out to be largely true.
You're not getting the point I'm making at all I think. I'm happy to park this conversation rather than trying again.

Stuu

How do you know these things as facts? I mean, it's even clear to you. Do you have a ph.d. and then some in psychology?
Because he's worse than last year. His game hasn't developed even slightly and the statistics prove it. Even his shooting has fallen off a cliff. Don't tell me that in two years with hard work he couldn't add something else to his game. He got his big move to United and now he's coasting.

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
For better or worse I think Antony was signed more for the culture then his talent on the pitch or goal and assist contributions. Think the same could be said for the Case and Licha signings too.

With that said not good enough at the moment. Not sure why he can't be told instead of curling one in the corner every time he had the ball why doesn't he try to hit rasmus in the head.

kundalini

How much are we paying him a week? I assume somewhere in the region of 3.8 million.
Probably £120K per week, possibly £130K if he is starting most games.

Typically most new first team signings that were not on huge wages at their previous club, will be on £100K per week basic in CL year (75K per week if not in CL that year). With appearance bonuses then you are looking at £110K to £130k per week depending on how often they start games. The likes of Dan James, Malacia, Amad and Pellistri will be more like £1m to £2.5m per year.

The websites that list United salaries don't seem to read the articles that explain how United salaries are structured. If a player was on £5m per year at his previous club then he might make £9m per year at United.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
This is funny while being heartbreaking at the same time. Look at that comparison

crossy1686

career ending
I think theres a half decent footballer in Anthony but hes no right winger. I dont understand why he doesnt play left side? He maybe better as an 8 or 10, just not for us.
This is the first stage of the ‘shit player’ chat. First he’s being played in the wrong position, then he needs better players around him, then it’s the formation/tactics, then it’s the manager, and finally he’s actually just dogshit.

Gordon Godot

This is the first stage of the ‘shit player’ chat. First he’s being played in the wrong position, then he needs better players around him, then it’s the formation/tactics, then it’s the manager, and finally he’s actually just dogshit.
I thought we were already at the final point. To Rangnick's observation, we need more players capable with dealing with the physicality of the Premier league. Antony can't, as well being not fast he is often shrugged off the ball. He occasionally beats a player but typically the defender immediately gets back at him and steals ball back. So its not about physical size, but about strength on the ball. Also his passing is poor and 9 out 10 he picks the wrong option of mishits the pass. He wasn't that great in the Dutch league.

crossy1686

career ending
I thought we were already at the final point. To Rangnick's observation, we need more players capable with dealing with the physicality of the Premier league. Antony can't, as well being not fast he is often shrugged off the ball. He occasionally beats a player but typically the defender immediately gets back at him and steals ball back. So its not about physical size, but about strength on the ball. Also his passing is poor and 9 out 10 he picks the wrong option of mishits the pass. He wasn't that great in the Dutch league.
I think most of us have seen enough of him to speed run the emotions of ‘is this player good enough’? But some will always hang on to sheer hope because they can’t handle the idea that people they want to trust can make terrible decisions.

Wilt

We were the only club that wanted to buy him, and from memory he was desperate to join, to the point of threatening not to play for Ajax. He should have been offered 50k maximum.
That was the first red flag for me, he was under contract at Ajax so instead he acts like an arsewipe to force through his transfer. All that before the assault accusations, plus he happens to be total shite for Utd.

$100m …absolute fecking joke.