View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said "he caused them, he has to sort them out" (the off field problems)

Intriguing - may not be completely innocent. Anyways I hope with Amad fit now, he doesn't persist with him. For me the issue is he's so limited. He might be indeed be impacted by these off field issues, but he wasn't exactly tearing it up and I just think he's been figured out.
I suspect what he means by that is that Antony had interactions with these women by cheating on his wife / partner.

He couldn't even prop-up Antony here, and you could tell he wanted to try:

Even describing his overall performance last season as "okay" is being generous. He all but disappeared completely in the second half of it. No doubt the off-field issues have had an effect on him, but it has hardly changed that much either. I don't really give a shit about the whole "balancing act" cope that often gets thrown around here. A winger must score, assist, and just in general be a pain in the ass for the other team. Antony is none of that and a dream to defend against. Defender just need to do their basics right and he is pretty much entirely shut down.

Just a very limited player and a very, very bad transfer all around. Maybe he would have been useful if we were playing more like Ajax, but we have nothing in common with that team either.

Antony was poor when the team was at its best under ETH but the timeline of these off field events is important, not when they came to light or peaked.

Seems as though he arrived here scoring a few goals early on and the high profile nature and money of the move caused a lot of issues and attracted bad people. Not surprising to see him drop away quickly as these issues build up not long after he arrived. It's not a player concentrating on his training and games anymore. Not saying he'd be amazing but probably coming up with up more for the team.

Antony and Sancho for different reasons football has gone by the wayside and I can see both moving away with less distractions and getting back, more so Sancho. 160m and 500k a week for pretty much nothing, the club has had no authority or knowledge how to handle things.

I doubt that, because they wouldn't want to point out to their girlfriend when watching football that the winger tends to threaten sexual assault when turned down.

Their understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of football is probably not fickle enough to have to abandon moral stances because we signed a shit player

But funny that you say that, because she has a masters in psychology and is a school counsellor. Her school wouldn't have the best of students so she deals with troubled teens and trys putting them back on the right track. Her feelings would be that although his actions were a disgrace, but that doesn't warrant him not getting a chance to put things right, if and only he realises his wrong doings and is clearly showing that he is putting in effort to be a better individual.

I'm sure there is 99.9% of us in this forum have not come close to being in his position, having the world at his feet and getting everything he could ask for because of the talent he processes. So having his mindset at the time, thinking just because he wants something, and not getting it, probably the first time he's really being denied anything, considering he could probably go out on to the street and get most girls, there would be a sense of entitlement from his partner.

Is it wrong to have to bring that up as a point, yes, but I have to ask, is there any player physiologists to guide young players on how to deal with
So your girlfriend knows nothing about football but she is familiar with Antony??? :lol:

She watches the games with me, managed to take her under my wing and robbed her from her brothers who support Liverpool, a win in my book.

Win or lose, she is getting more and more invested in the club and is actually learning about football in general to be fair. Her first analysis on the look of Antony was, "he looks like he'd rob you on the street". But she hears me complain about how bad Antony is when creating any opportunities.

I've explained to her about Greenwood and gave her thoughts on it which I am due to reply to another poster but it's long winded.

But funny that you say that, because she has a masters in psychology and is a school counsellor. Her school wouldn't have the best of students so she deals with troubled teens and trys putting them back on the right track. Her feelings would be that although his actions were a disgrace, but that doesn't warrant him not getting a chance to put things right, if and only he realises his wrong doings and is clearly showing that he is putting in effort to be a better individual.

I'm sure there is 99.9% of us in this forum have not come close to being in his position, having the world at his feet and getting everything he could ask for because of the talent he processes. So having his mindset at the time, thinking just because he wants something, and not getting it, probably the first time he's really being denied anything, considering he could probably go out on to the street and get most girls, there would be a sense of entitlement from his partner.

Is it wrong to have to bring that up as a point, yes, but I have to ask, is there any player physiologists to guide young players on how to deal with

Surely, as a Masters Psychologist/ someone who works in schools she realises a difference between school children making mistakes and the consequences and ramifications of that compared to replatforming someone with a reach to millions of people by making him a star at the biggest football club in the world?

You're saying 'her feelings would be' but if she had an ounce of nuance then she'd be able to distinguish between school children and Greenwood. For starters, him getting away with that is likely to have a greater influence and reach on the wider public/ youth than some 16 year old smoking pot.

I'm all for second chances and redemption but actions have consequences and it's not overly punitive to suggest that DV and threatening sexual assault are pretty much dealbreakers for such a publicly scrutinised and responsible career.

Apologies to divert away from Antony - who Greenwood aside, isn't good enough

Last edited:
Surely, as a Masters Psychologist/ someone who works in schools she realises a difference between school children making mistakes and the consequences and ramifications of that compared to replatforming someone with a reach to millions of people by making him a star at the biggest football club in the world?

You're saying 'her feelings would be' but if she had an ounce of nuance then she'd be able to distinguish between school children and Greenwood. For starters, him getting away with that is likely to have a greater influence and reach on the wider public/ youth than some 16 year old smoking pot.

I'm all for second chances and redemption but actions have consequences and it's not overly punitive to suggest that DV and threatening sexual assault are pretty much dealbreakers for such a publicly scrutinised and responsible career.

Apologies to divert away from Antony - who Greenwood aside, isn't good enough

The fact that you think she only deals with people getting caught smoking as a worst case scenario just gives a incite on little we know on the dealings of younger people. Without going into it, she deals with a lot worse than those smoking pot.

We got to remember, Greenwood was just a year or 2 older than those who would be in that school, realistically how much more mature would he be than them.

I'm after taking the topic well off course, so I am not going to talk about the matter. My opinion is, he made a mistake, i believe in second chances to an extent, but if the club feels he should not be in the club, I will understand, but if a club like Barcelona want him, we should be milking them for as much as we can. Why see him prosper for a top team in Europe at the expense of the club.

That was the first red flag for me, he was under contract at Ajax so instead he acts like an arsewipe to force through his transfer. All that before the assault accusations, plus he happens to be total shite for Utd.

$100m …absolute fecking joke.

To be fair, alot of footballers do that, Berbatov did it and we fans had no problems with that.

She watches the games with me, managed to take her under my wing and robbed her from her brothers who support Liverpool, a win in my book.

Win or lose, she is getting more and more invested in the club and is actually learning about football in general to be fair. Her first analysis on the look of Antony was, "he looks like he'd rob you on the street". But she hears me complain about how bad Antony is when creating any opportunities.

I've explained to her about Greenwood and gave her thoughts on it which I am due to reply to another poster but it's long winded.
I take it she probably associates tattoos with criminality which seems judgemental to me.
Learning to not judge a book by its cover should be a lesson learnt early especially when pursuing a career in counselling.

To be fair, alot of footballers do that, Berbatov did it and we fans had no problems with that.
Did not realise Berbatov also did.

Though not surprised the fans we’re ok with that ….there’s one hell of a difference in ability/class between Berbatov and Antony.

The fact that you think she only deals with people getting caught smoking as a worst case scenario just gives a incite on little we know on the dealings of younger people. Without going into it, she deals with a lot worse than those smoking pot.

We got to remember, Greenwood was just a year or 2 older than those who would be in that school, realistically how much more mature would he be than them.

I'm after taking the topic well off course, so I am not going to talk about the matter. My opinion is, he made a mistake, i believe in second chances to an extent, but if the club feels he should not be in the club, I will understand, but if a club like Barcelona want him, we should be milking them for as much as we can. Why see him prosper for a top team in Europe at the expense of the club.

I was being reductionist. I myself worked in mainstream and PRUs for 8 years so I have first hand experience of the issues in schools and outside influences of media and poor role models.

Saying that MG (or Antony if charges are proven) shouldn't play for United isn't the life sentence/ removal of human rights that some people are making out. There's a huge scale of what can we can consider to be redemption and being the starting winger at the biggest club in the world with no seeming repercussions is pretty far out.

I've always thought the bigger red flag was trying to shithouse Nunez then acting like a hard man back during their portugal days.

Man Utd 2:2 Tottenham
Not sure if it was audible on the tv, but the groans from the crowd when he turned onto his left instead of crossing with his right spoke volumes.

Not sure if it was audible on the tv, but the groans from the crowd when he turned onto his left instead of crossing with his right spoke volumes.

Just the sight of him on the pitch makes me hate him and Ten Hag more.

I don't think i can recall a United player I've so much dislike for.

I don't understand why can't he learn to put more power onto his passes, it happens time and time again, and was the first thing he did when he came on today.

To be fair to Antony, he looks a shattered human being who knows he's been found out as a fraud. There's not much we can ever expect of him.

A tragedy.

I still think we should sue everyone that was involved in this transfer for fraud and get them to court.

Murtough and Ten Hag should lose their jobs for this transfer alone. The fact Ten Hag was trying to big him up before the game just shows how deluded he is when it comes to the depth of the PL compared to the Dutch league,

I'm pleased the crowd got on his back. The fee and wages are not his fault, and been not good enough isn't his fault either. Whilst though who bought him should be held to account, the more he loses interest in playing for United, it might force his hand to look for a move. United are going to end up taking a huge hit on him but even if he isn't interested, he can't be any worse.

One of my mates was at the game and said the exact , even when he was subbed on there was groans.

A disastrous signing, one of the top disasters in recent club transfer activity...and there's plenty of competition for the title.

Newport County 2:4 Man Utd
Did well today and was probably our Player of the Match, hopefully his league form will pick up.

Goal and an assist masked an otherwise poor performance.

Decent from him tonight, but unfortunately he is under far more scrutiny at the moment (rightly so), so needs to be better. Let's hope he kicks on.

Genuinely cant remember him doing anything besides the goal and assist. A few of his usual pot shots at the far post.

Got a goal, an assist, would have had a second if not for a very good last ditch block, created a couple of other openings with tidy bits of play, worked hard defensively as usual and was trying to do Dalot's job for him during their second goal.

But of course, every third post in the match thread was whingeing about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.