2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

AndySmith1990

No, you're acting as if there aren't degrees of criticism. Even his biggest supporters last season could point to obvious weaknesses and areas of concern, but there is a grade between criticism and youtube like comments about a player being 'a fraud', 'shit' 'championship level' and even worse. If he manages to turn anything around and achieves a good level, will you be racing in here to find posters who could see somethine 'a bit quicker than yourself'? Probably not, the reality is that those at real extremes of opinions are almost always wrong, hyperbolic and hard to take seriously.
There are almost certainly a few championship players who would've contributed more than Antony if they were given as many starts for United. And he's undoubtedly shit, relative to the average Premier league winger.

lex talionis

Is there actually a YouTube video of the amazing Antony we were told was coming to Old Trafford?

ScholesyTheWise

Is there actually a YouTube video of the amazing Antony we were told was coming to Old Trafford?
no. the compilations of his highlights on YouTube are very underwhelming.
But then, I don't think I recall anyone who thought he was amazing before he came here.
people hardly knew him.

Leethal

This guy's proper shite.

And that's all I really have to say on the matter.

Wilt

Want him gone. My guess….

Transfer value £25m - £30m
Subsidise part of his £200k week wages
Real value £15m - £20m

Doubt Utd would be willing to take such a financial hit ….unsellable

Last edited:

jadaba

That's not exactly bewildering from ETH to say is it? He acknowledged that he'll support him (I'm assuming in football-related matters) "but he has to do better." That seems quite measured and fair.

TrailMonkey

Yep, I've been thinking recently that ETH doesn't appreciate (and expect) the standards required to succeed here. His post-match pressers imply he's not bothered in the slightest with shit performances.

Chumpsbechumps

But it seems they dont stop him being picked. Thats on the manager. And this issue was in the public realm before we signed him....
Rashford has been continually picked and hes been consistently awful. Managers have to pick and choose when to try and play players through a rough patch.

Part of our issue is that with injuries we dont really have any room to take players out of the first team. Another part is that most of our players are off form, so who does he drop ?

We are already struggling up front, dropping our most form forward from last season is not easy to do.

Yep, I've been thinking recently that ETH doesn't appreciate (and expect) the standards required to succeed here. His post-match pressers imply he's not bothered in the slightest with shit performances.
When ETH has tried to raise standards hes been met with a Piers Morgan interview from Ronaldo and a very public spat from Sancho. Then we have some people having a go at him for how hes tried to raise standards.

Now people want him to have a go at players who havent been good enough? Which is it ? He really cant do anything right with some people.

Incidentally, some of you put too much stock on manager interviews that mean f**k all in the scheme of things. I think some of you are just looking to get angry.

saivet

:houllier:
I don't have them to hand but there are some further quotes from ETH that put a bit more context around it. ETH does say he can and should be doing better, especially since he came back into the team.

SungSam7

Controversial but Mason Greenwood was better... far better.
Here's a controversial one for you, I am sure many who said Greenwood shouldn't play for United again, my guess would be just watching how bad Antony really is, would take Greenwood back in a heart beat.

I've been watching a bit of Greenwood for Getafe, and it's strange to see a player on the RW run at not 1 but 2 or 3 players in a single phase, something that Antony can't do. I had to point out to my girlfriend who knows nothing about football, that a winger does not tend to pass the ball back or sideways 90% of the time compared to what Antony does, but trys to drag attention to their movement on and off the ball. Antony does neither and I am surprised managers don't just push their LB further up the pitch as Antony is not much of a threat.

ItDoesntEvenMata

Here's a controversial one for you, I am sure many who said Greenwood shouldn't play for United again, my guess would be just watching how bad Antony really is, would take Greenwood back in a heart beat.

I've been watching a bit of Greenwood for Getafe, and it's strange to see a player on the RW run at not 1 but 2 or 3 players in a single phase, something that Antony can't do. I had to point out to my girlfriend who knows nothing about football, that a winger does not tend to pass the ball back or sideways 90% of the time compared to what Antony does, but trys to drag attention to their movement on and off the ball. Antony does neither and I am surprised managers don't just push their LB further up the pitch as Antony is not much of a threat.
I doubt that, because they wouldn't want to point out to their girlfriend when watching football that the winger tends to threaten sexual assault when turned down.

Their understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of football is probably not fickle enough to have to abandon moral stances because we signed a shit player

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't have them to hand but there are some further quotes from ETH that put a bit more context around it. ETH does say he can and should be doing better, especially since he came back into the team.
From the press conference thread (thanks @IRN-BRUno):

Ten Hag on Antony's performances
"I can explain I think it's very simple. His off field issues stop him playing. First year was okay, the pre-season was very okay, first four games was very good, I've seen the game against Spurs back and he played a very good game but from the moment he was out and then he came back and didn't deliver the performance you should expect from him and he can do so much better."
Ten Hag on Antony continued
"You mention Ajax, I look back there his effectiveness, end product was higher and also Champions League very high. He's capable of doing this, key actions, key passes, the crosses, the finishing, it's very high and should return to that level but the Premier League is more difficult and he's capable of doing that. It has had an effect, an impact on him, definitely, so he has to deal with that, he caused them, he has to sort them out but he has to do better."
Seems pretty measured to me, definitely not someone who's thinking Antony is living up to his expectations. It would be interesting to see what Ten Hag would do in terms of team selections if there were more high-quality choice for United up front.

KeanoMagicHat

Encouraging comments by Ten Hag to call him out, he's never been that good but there has been a drop off even from that. Although in the Champions League for Ajax, he only scored 3 goals in 11 games, so was hardly ripping it up.

This was probably his best performance against top level opposition and even there he shows his limitations outside the goal. Gives the ball away plenty and does nothing with his dribbles. But he does seem a tad faster back then, the move at 3.40 was nice. Another thing worth noticing is how the full back is bombing forward, which doesn't happen to the same extent at United. When he gets crowded out he looks very limited.

saik

That's not exactly bewildering from ETH to say is it? He acknowledged that he'll support him (I'm assuming in football-related matters) "but he has to do better." That seems quite measured and fair.
Yea just people jumping the gun without reading the full comments. He has acknowledged that Antony has to do better and that he has been under whelming. We have seen that with him now being dropped and Garnacho playing on the right.

jadaba

Yea just people jumping the gun without reading the full comments. He has acknowledged that Antony has to do better and that he has been under whelming. We have seen that with him now being dropped and Garnacho playing on the right.
Exactly, it was a fair criticism and he has received markedly less playing time since his return, it's not like Ten Hag is only suddenly noticing it now and is late to act.

Devil81

Whatever way ETH spins it at 80 million plus we expect so much better, off field problems or not.

Not sure what the club do with him at the end of the season. Think we may behave this lad until his contract runs out.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If his poor performances are due to personal issues (they're not, but let's assume for a second they are), then he should be dropped until those issues are resolved.
United have so few good wingers though. While Amad was out and Rashford was on the bench for his own poor performances (and knowing Pellistri isn't good enough yet) - what options were left?

Piskin

Then why can't Ten Hag as a manager fix this problem.. he cannot because his man-management along with his in-game management is bog standard.

Irwin99

I don't think last season was absolutely dreadful for him, either in terms of performances or goals (10 in total, 8 for us, 2 for Ajax) but his assists and chance creation was, and still is, pretty dire. That's been the most disappointing thing for me.

It's also a bit of a weird signing when you consider how we want to be a great 'transition' team and we buy a winger that really isn't that fast, doesn't release the ball quickly or create many goals.

lsd

The Oracle

It's pathetic the amount of excuses this fraud comes up for his favourite player.

His off field issues have nothing to do with him not being too able to pass, shoot, cross or show any pace.

lsd

The Oracle

I despise Antony but i wouldn't replace him with Greenwood who should never play for the club again.

The same goes for Antony if he is guilty of similar.

OptimisedRed

Steven Berghuis will throw out better numbers than Antony did at Ajax this season and he would not be any where near what we need.
I posted in the thread when we were signing him that it was a ridiculous fee for a player that is unproven. His champs league goals for Ajax came against poor performing teams that were shipping loads of goals anyway-as did his most his league goals, so he had shown nothing to prove he should even get an opportunity at our club.
He was clearly an ETH signing. Chucked almost 100m on him and he is nowhere near the level required and never will be. What other industry let's you make mistakes that cost this much.

None of this is the fault of Antony, who certainly never valued himself so highly. Seeing the press conference snips where ETH blames his form on external factors-utter rubbish and I'm glad the press have started calling him out on Anthony's form.
I said we'd probably sell him on in a season or two for 30 million, but I don't think we will even get that now. Hope he can improve but literally nothing he has ever done in his career indicates he will.

For what it's worth, I like his heart and dedication. Solid work rate as well, but he's just levels below premier league standard. I'll still cheer him on.

TrailMonkey

I really don't know how much his off-field shit is affecting him, but I can say that IMO he's not played well since his first 2-3 months here. Back then he showed glimpse of what he could do, albeit nothing as good as his Ajax form, but it was potential. Since then, he's shown nothing (other than some determination to track back and defend, and petulance when things don't go his way).

If he returned to Ajax tomorrow then he might well show his old form again. Who knows. I just don't believe he has what it takes to succeed in the PL.

RuudTom83

The main problem with quoting the manager after every presser is the full question he was answering is never quoted.

So here you are not reading ETH’s full appraisal on Antony. You are reading his response to a journo basically saying why is Antony so shit.

EtH’s English phrasing isn’t great and his answers are always a bit back to front.

But it’s not completely false to say his 1st season was ok/decent and his 2nd hasn’t been good enough especially after the drama in Brazil.

TsuWave

He couldn't even prop-up Antony here, and you could tell he wanted to try:

Lee565

His first season was not good unless standards are massively low and what all us fans were really hoping was that he was just having the usual bedding in 1st before kicking on in the 2nd season but it has just got worse

jem

Can only speak for myself: Greenwood is levels above Antony but I still don’t want him anywhere near United.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Strange that ETH specifically picked out the Spurs game in the second match of the season to say he was good. He started the season terribly in those first two games (indeed he was one of the three players subbed off first against Spurs), it was the next two against Forest and Arsenal where he turned things around and was decent-to-good. Unfortunately he then had his issue in Brazil and he's really struggled since then.

Glorio

He said "he caused them, he has to sort them out" (the off field problems)

Intriguing - may not be completely innocent. Anyways I hope with Amad fit now, he doesn't persist with him. For me the issue is he's so limited. He might be indeed be impacted by these off field issues, but he wasn't exactly tearing it up and I just think he's been figured out.

Jeffthered

The man is delusional. 'Last season was ok.. pre season was ok'. Madness.

But what is interesting is ETH stating: "It has had an effect, an impact on him, definitely. He has to deal with that, he has to sort them out but he has to do better."

It's nothing to do with the manager.. nothing about the coaching and staff and ETH helping a player to bring the best out of himself. ETH sees himself above and aside from the players, it's so obvious. That's why, as previously stated, ETH has none, none of our players playing to the best of their ability. Not one. And that is no coincidence, there is a reason for that. It's been this way for some time, from the latter part of last season.

ETH is all ego. He loves it at Man Utd, he loves the attention, the coverage. He's hit the jackpot, he knows it... but he is out of his depth and has been exposed. He also knows that.

Bondi77

So your girlfriend knows nothing about football but she is familiar with Antony??? :lol: