2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

DickDastardly

Yes but it's a lot harder to travel with the ball than without it so even if a player is alone it doesn't mean goal. That simply isn't a goal with the frequency you're saying. When there's a distance between picking up the ball and the goal the more chance it breaks down. That's just how football is and the statistics will bear it out irrespective of whether they're the last man or not.

It's not really mitigating his decision there or his performance anyway. Not very good and he generally has been very poor as a signing so far.
What the feck man?!

Did you watch our last game? Galatasaray?

Hojlund did Exactly that! Drive the ball from the center line and scored a goal.
With a man on his back!!

Now go watch that Antony moment again.

Stadjer

He has a lot of people who dont like him as player and he clearly doesnt look world class when you watch him play but he does add something to a team. When he got onto the pitch the right side improved. However he isnt anything that you would expect from a winger with a Brazilian passport. No fancy tricks but instead he makes sure the ball stays in the team and moves the ball forward. No fancy rabona crosses but a pass to an overlapping RB at the right moment.

Abraxas

What the feck man?!

Did you watch our last game? Galatasaray?

Hojlund did Exactly that! Drive the ball from the center line and scored a goal.
With a man on his back!!

Now go watch that Antony moment again.
Why do you keep repeating "what the feck"? It's weird.

Yes I watched it, so what. Great play by Hojlund. I'm not saying it's never a goal so what is your example supposed to show? It's you making a big claim saying it's a goal if someone fast in the PL other than Antony gets it. Not true.

Goals get scored and goals sometimes don't get scored no matter what the position on the pitch. We could pull up data from 6 yards out right in front of goal and guess what there will be misses in there. On the halfway line with clear pitch in front is an opportunity, a good one, but it's not always a goal. The better the player you give the opportunity to the more likely it will be but there will still be a frequency that it is not converted. It's strange this even needs to be pointed out because it's just the basic nature of football and sport but whatever, hyperbole is also an option.

BorisManUtd

It's not that I don't think Antony will improve over next few years but also do believe those obvious limitations he has - those won't be fixed. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Oranges038

Noticeable how much more room he got when Dalot went outside him. He wasn't great, but you can see the options an overlapping fulback gives him, he has an out to pass the ball and doesn't have to try to cut in and shoot.

Sylar

The best thing I or I guess anybody can say about him is that he gives us balance
Seriously

That for me is not enough. He isn't a youth player. He was our big signing last year

I just have no hope for a threat on goal when he plays. I don't expect an assist, a goal, him to beat a man
Maybe I'm being harsh but he just doesn't scream man united winger to me.

DickDastardly

Why do you keep repeating "what the feck"? It's weird.

Yes I watched it, so what. Great play by Hojlund. I'm not saying it's never a goal so what is your example supposed to show? It's you making a big claim saying it's a goal if someone fast in the PL other than Antony gets it. Not true.
You asked the question. Was pace really the problem?

The short answer is - yes.

He's slow.

Also answers the bolded question.
Example is given to show you that's he's slow.

And that if you give the same chance he had today - running alone from the half way line - to any other winger in the Prem, that's a two on one 90% goal chance.

criticalanalysis

What the feck man.

He was ALONE on the half way mark.
All you need to do is run with the ball.

Give that same position to Garnacho or Hojlund and that's a goal.

Which is pretty fecking sad for a winger to be that slow.

If it's the same chance we're talking about, you need to watch it again. His first touch was barely outside our penalty in his own half. There's no way that's a high or decent goal scoring chance. He carried the ball from his own half and ran past the halfway line. The final ball was admittedly poor and yes he should have perhaps ran more with it but it wasn't an easy 'chance' at all. If he had scored, that would have been goal of the season contender for sure.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We were equally, if not worse when he came on, and he played like he usually plays. I seriously can't understand how some of you can lie to yourself. Created nothing coming in as a winger later in the game, 0 crosses, 0 key passes, did absolutely nothing. 4 forward passes in total is everything he did, and one of them was that counter attack where he was 10 meters ahead of their defender and he decided to pass the ball to their other defender who was marking Hojlund.

Another poor performance from a nothing winger.
We did better with him than without. Far better. I'm not saying he did anything special, but we play better with a right winger than with the false winger bullshit.

evil_geko

We were equally, if not worse when he came on, and he played like he usually plays. I seriously can't understand how some of you can lie to yourself. Created nothing coming in as a winger later in the game, 0 crosses, 0 key passes, did absolutely nothing. 4 forward passes in total is everything he did, and one of them was that counter attack where he was 10 meters ahead of their defender and he decided to pass the ball to their other defender who was marking Hojlund.

Another poor performance from a nothing winger.
We played better with him, you are the one lying to yourself.

Born2Lose

If we'd spent £50m on him I wouldn't mind as much, but he's soooooooo one dimensional.

Someone

Something
Better than Bruno there, but still doesn't offer much. Hope Amad returns and gives him some competition.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The best thing I or I guess anybody can say about him is that he gives us balance
Seriously

That for me is not enough. He isn't a youth player. He was our big signing last year

I just have no hope for a threat on goal when he plays. I don't expect an assist, a goal, him to beat a man
Maybe I'm being harsh but he just doesn't scream man united winger to me.
I find myself using this defence a lot :lol:

Our best option there, despite some people trying to champion Pellestri. But the truth is both Pellestri and Garnacho are better as subs for now.

It is slightly worrying a fee so big just gets you a functional player though, rather than a game changing, high goal scoring, player beating winger,.

Fahad Jawaid

So now we spending 85M for a player who brings nothing but balance to the side. Who cares about goals and assists, what we require is balance. Any half decent winger in the premier league could have given us the same, hell we could have used Amad for the same, why did we sign him then?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We played better with him, you are the one lying to yourself.
We did better with him than without. Far better. I'm not saying he did anything special, but we play better with a right winger than with the false winger bullshit.
We play better but you don't know what he did well. What a great argument that is.

He did absolutely nothing. 4 forward passes in almost 30 minutes.

Sylar

I find myself using this defence a lot :lol:

Our best option there, despite some people trying to champion Pellestri. But the truth is both Pellestri and Garnacho are better as subs for now.

It is slightly worrying a fee so big just gets you a functional player though, rather than a game changing, high goal scoring, player beating winger,.
I've said it a lot but if he was a youth player we would be saying let's loan him or sell him.
I honestly can't see him as a threat and he's so easy to defend against and I'm not surprised his assists / crosses are so low

FriedClams

Worth remembering that he's returned to the team amid very challenging off field issues, and he seemed like he was fully focussed on the game today.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Worth remembering that he's returned to the team amid very challenging off field issues, and he seemed like he was fully focussed on the game today.
We should be grateful it's on the face of it, for now at least one massive distraction less on the team.
The Sancho situation shows no resolution, and McTom and Maguire had good impact today, so hopefully it's starting to settle.

ErikElevenHag

No matter what you think of antony, the team clearly benefits from having him in the side. Just having someone occupying the right wing made a difference and gave us a better shape.

Hes got some improving to do, but id rather he starts next game.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Few good plays but that covered up his multiple misplaced passes. Not convinced with what he brings to the team but he gets a pass for this game considering the situation he was in

Valencia Shin Crosses

So now we spending 85M for a player who brings nothing but balance to the side. Who cares about goals and assists, what we require is balance. Any half decent winger in the premier league could have given us the same, hell we could have used Amad for the same, why did we sign him then?
Correct.

Watching him today all I could think is it’s a borderline sackable offense that Ten Hag made us break our transfer record for him. Laughably bad decision.

lex talionis

He's had issues and it was a brief appearance while dealing with those issues, but it's really hard to see what he brings to the squad. He doesn't beat defenders with the ball for the pass or shot and he doesn't enter spaces between defenders to receive the ball. He could have productively spent the last four weeks developing a second trick to one his trick pony game, but it's clear he did no such thing.

Malone_Post

He’s absolutely crap. Stop kidding yourselves.

If he played for any of our rivals he’d be an absolute meme on here. See Darwin, Mudryk, Nicolas Pepe etc

bosnian_red

We play better but you don't know what he did well. What a great argument that is.

He did absolutely nothing. 4 forward passes in almost 30 minutes.
It's less to do with him and more to do with "he just stays wide". Given that none of the others do that... it's still a plus. Width is key. He is currently the only one who actually plays with width on the right. Well him and Pellistri. As a team we play better with either of them 2 in vs anyone else. Maybe Amad can provide width and some better quality, but he seems more like a Mata who roams inside.

I'd say the first base requirements for picking a starting 11 is they have to be the actually able to play in that position and naturally do what that position needs. So as a winger... hold width. Guys like Bruno, Mount off his showing today, mata or Kagawa in the past shouldn't even be considered options out there. So we're left to pick between Rashford, Garnacho, pellistri and Antony for the 2 wings. So yes, Antony is better than Bruno or Mount out there. Yes better than Pellistri too. Never seen Garnacho on the right. Ideally I'd like to see Rashford on the right, but either way. Being a shit option who provides width is better than a shit option who roams inside all game.

bosnian_red

TBF it's clear he has talent and he had plenty of hype on here before ten hag came and linked us to him. Sometimes they just don't adapt to the higher level.

But yes balance is still better than not balanced, and that's why we have consistently played better as a team with him than without.

I'm not holding my breath on Amad. He isn't a winger who holds width really.

redNATION

If he played for any of our rivals he’d be an absolute meme on here. See Darwin, Mudryk, Nicolas Pepe etc
Another mistake that the next manager will need to deal with. Write off 85m and buy yet another right winger who will probably be equally crap because we can't seem to scout players properly. I hate the Glazers and wish they would leave, but sometimes the managers are backed and they make a complete mess of things. You don't need to spend £1bn + (what we've spent since Fergie retired) to win a league and champions league and be competitive.

Kostov

He has a lot of people who dont like him as player and he clearly doesnt look world class when you watch him play but he does add something to a team. When he got onto the pitch the right side improved. However he isnt anything that you would expect from a winger with a Brazilian passport. No fancy tricks but instead he makes sure the ball stays in the team and moves the ball forward. No fancy rabona crosses but a pass to an overlapping RB at the right moment.
Yeah to a team who is playing with one winger and that winger is Antony, he ads another player who has played as winger somewhere. However if you compare him to a quality winger and what they bring to a team, he is absolute garbage.

bosnian_red

I really don’t think it is that clear. That or he’s spent the last 18 months hiding it exceptionally well. He doesn’t have a single standout attacking trait.
Come on, it's very clear what attributes would've translated really well to an easier league. He has really good and tight control, quick body movements, can get a shot off quickly, good dribbling (but depends on the opposition level for effectiveness). He was excellent for Ajax in that last season, and it was reasonable to think he had massive potential. He's also a left footed right winger which is important but also hard to find. Once it's translated to the prem, you never know how he'll adapt. Sancho at Dortmund was legitimately one of the best U21 players in the 90s and later era of football, statistically. Was ridiculously productive and just a brilliant player. Come to the prem and he looks beyond average. Whether that's the United factor, the pressure, the faster and stronger opposition players, it's hard to say exactly but that's always the big unknown when you sign a player. They can look world class and dead certs at one level and then just bang average at a higher level. Just gotta try again and accept the risk of that.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I know he ended up fecking the chance but it was refreshing to see him be so direct on the counter for once, usually he's the most infuriating counter attacking player in the world.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

This is correct. Unfortunately though, our other players who play in his position are even worse.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I really don’t think it is that clear. That or he’s spent the last 18 months hiding it exceptionally well. He doesn’t have a single standout attacking trait.
He cuts in well. That's it. Everything after the cut in is piss poor but he always gets himself a yard or two of space from the defender when he cuts in, to waste on a cross that hits the first man or another predictable finesse shot.

Matt851

No matter what you think of antony, the team clearly benefits from having him in the side. Just having someone occupying the right wing made a difference and gave us a better shape.

Hes got some improving to do, but id rather he starts next game.
Great so we could have literally anyone there as long as they were staying on the right? He is one of the most expensive footballers of all time but one of the worst rw in the league