4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He was okay in the first half, at least he showed some workrate but our midfield and striker play was just terrible to create any kind of momentum..

Think he might be a good wingback if he can't find his form. It's more team play issue than on Anthony though.

Same as last year. Works hard, doesn't lose the ball and provides a threat on the right, but no end product. Hojlund will help him no end on that last part.

LARulz

He works hard and looks busy. But he doesn't provide that extra factor you want in a winger, he is not really a threat and incredibly easy to defend against. I don't get what Ten Hag sees in him to be honest

Max_United

One of our biggest failures as a club is that we do not have people like those at Liverpool who overruled Klopp on signing Brandt and signed Salah instead. It is natural for a manager to go for the familiar but he cannot be indulged and has to have a counterweight, even if the manager is great himself.

Although I fear that (God forbid) at some point comparing EtH to Klopp would be seen as laughable as comparing Antony to Robben :)

Jev

Same as last year. Works hard, doesn't lose the ball and provides a threat on the right, but no end product. Hojlund will help him no end on that last part.
Why do people keep saying this? He loses it all the time, his passing is so sloppy whenever it's not a five yard roll to the right-back or nearest midfielder (which it usually is).

Last edited:

marktan

The benefit of him is that he has a left foot and runs a lot.

In the way of technicality? We're never challenging for the big trophies with this guy as our starting RW. A player like Mahrez does more in a match than this guy does in 10.

Jev

Because its true. He's got excellent ball retention.
Until he tries a progressive pass, yeah. His ball retention is down to being incredibly conservative in possession. That shouldn't be a compliment for a winger.

Castia

Wasn’t great but compared to Rashford and Garnacho he was our best attacker….worryingly

El Jefe

But but he's press resistant and his stats, his press resistant stats, stats don't lie. Right guys? right?
Don't forget his carries. He's world class at carrying the ball into open space only to pass back to AWB or sky a shot.

As I said all through last season, we paid £84m for Erik Lamela.

Dozer

He looked a bit quicker tonight than at any point last season, but the decision making and end product was still woeful

Until he tries a progressive pass, yeah. His ball retention is down to being incredibly conservative in possession. That shouldn't be a compliment for a winger.
He's conservative because he's got no striker to pass to. Like I said, Hojlund should unleash a new player from Antony.

Jev

He's conservative because he's got no striker to pass to. Like I said, Hojlund should unleash a new player from Antony.
I believe this is a bad excuse but obviously I hope you'll end up being right. Don't expect too much from Højlund yet though.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Why do people keep saying this? He loses it all the time, his passing is so sloppy whenever it's not a five yard role to the right-back or nearest midfielder (which it usually is).
He doesn't lose the ball under pressure, but yeah he makes up for that by being a horrific passer so it evens out. Saw some comparing him to Nani in the match thread and thought that was an incredible injustice to Nani, who for all his frustration was unbelievably skilled technically and physically.

dinostar77

We will never see the best of antony without an attacking fullback playing behind him who can overlap and open up the right side half space for him to attack. Abit of a fatal flaw in a €90mil player.

Though to his credit, it seems he has been working on his right foot.

One thing i dont get is why even for 10 mins ETH didnt switch antony and garnacho. Garnacho was in semedo's pocket. So switch them over? Let antony go at semedo and garnacho can try the other full back.

AFC NimbleThumb

He’s got the first 10 games of this season for me but I don’t think he’ll convert me. There was a good attack early on, king of 4 on 2 or 3 & he played the stupidest ball to Rashford instead of using that run as a decoy then going to Garnacho wide. I’ve just not seen any decent decision making from the guy, certainly not enough to make him a guaranteed starter.

Shark

@NotShark
I really don't see it with Antony. To think we complained at times about wingers like Nani at one point. He's levels and levels above this guy.

Skills

Snitch
His weight of pass is shocking tbh. The two balls he played to rashford were awfully weighted

BarryWinks

Maybe my expectations of him are low, but I thought he was okay.
In the first half he was okay - I also have very low expectations here - but that second have, the less said about it the better.

SirMonteyne

Well, we won't bench 90m player. I think everybody including Antony himself know he is shite. I only hope he gets his shit together and makes no mistake outside the pitch.

Chip

We will never see the best of antony without an attacking fullback playing behind him who can overlap and open up the right side half space for him to attack. Abit of a fatal flaw in a €90mil player.

Though to his credit, it seems he has been working on his right foot.

One thing i dont get is why even for 10 mins ETH didnt switch antony and garnacho. Garnacho was in semedo's pocket. So switch them over? Let antony go at semedo and garnacho can try the other full back.
Maybe not, but this reminds me of the Pogba apologists crying for a better partner in midfield.

Given his price he should perform better no matter who is playing as a RB. And if anything, it reflects badly on ten Hag. He knew Antony before breaking the bank for him, and if he can't perform without a RB he should prioritise upgrading on the position.

Redlyn

How do we keep blowing cash on these duds. It's not possible to keep failing so badly.

Marwood

He's just not good enough guys. It's clear as day. His choice and weight of pass is awful with no other postivies big enough to compenate. It can and might get a bit better but the quality just isn't there.

No problem signing him but he should have been a £30 million squad player.

ETH's first big mistake.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I just dont see what he excels at. He holds up the play and actually slows us down. First touch is hit or miss just like the weight of his pass. He wasnt ready to be first team regular at big team and we made a mistake in buying him last season.

He might still come good but i dont think it will be this season. I hope i am wrong but spending 80m on such raw talent with obvious flaws is turning into quite a bad deal.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Not sure what he's supposed to be doing up there. He has a great first touch, can create a yard of space but looks up and sees...what exactly in the box? Rashford double-teamed and look disinterested? Bruno waving his hands 10 yards outside the box?

He's only going to be useful if Hojland is any good, and Mount is making late runs. Any winger will look crap without a CF imo.

lsd

The Oracle
Not sure what he's supposed to be doing up there. He has a great first touch, can create a yard of space but looks up and sees...what exactly in the box? Rashford double-teamed and look disinterested? Bruno waving his hands 10 yards outside the box?

He's only going to be useful if Hojland is any good, and Mount is making late runs. Any winger will look crap without a CF imo.

That would work if he ever looked up or ever showed he could pass or cross.

We need to stop making excuses for him. It's not the fault of the full back or the result of the strikers or other midfielders.

All to often he has the ball and lots of space to attack and fails to do anything.

At Ajax he was never setting the world alight with assists or goals again that was on him not every other player bar him

Eddy_JukeZ

If MG comes back and is still good, he'll displace Antony pretty quickly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ultimately as an attacker unless you have express pace your passing range cannot be limited only to passes to your fullback. Antony never picks a player in and around the box through skill - it’s always a short safe pass inside or a pass to the under / overlapping RB. No curling crosses left foot crosses, no drilled right foot (lol) crosses, no chipped balls to an open man etc

I’m surprised in over a year he hasn’t worked on this. He’s got the close control and ball retention but he won’t reach the top unless he adds more to his game. Teams know he has regular level pace and is looking to shoot, they aren’t worried about creative passing / crossing from him At all.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Is he like the most "unbalanced" player out there? I mean the contrast between how good he is at keeping possession vs how poor his passing is. Can only kick the ball with one foot. Can only shoot (his every cross attempt is actually a shot directed at player.

He is one bizarre footballer.

This guy can't pass. That's it, that's the reason why he looks so ineffective when he gets the ball. He can shield the ball well and ride challenges, but when it comes to actually creating danger he's utterly useless.

You see how our other forwards like Sancho, Martial and even Rashford sometimes can get the ball to the player most likely to cause damage, well Antony can't do that consistently. If the pass isn't on with his left foot he'll just kill the counter attack. Passing angles, weighting his passes correctly, floating crosses... he's very bad at all of those things.

I don't see how he's any better than Sancho or Pellistri apart from being more tenacious and hardworking. He needs some serious competition because he's practically a guaranteed starter now and our right side is dead offensively or at least nowhere near top class offensively.
Unfortunately this is THE problem with Antony. He has a few problems but this is number one.

He's never been creative, it has nothing to do with Hojlund. If anything Hojlund would unlock Sancho more on the right, not Antony.
It's the last excuse left. He had full season with us, full preseason to get him up to good fitness, plays in his preferred (only) position. Once he plays with an actual target, there will be no more excuses left.

I said in when Hojlund joined, out of every single attaching player at United, Antony will benefit the least. Because this guy can't pass.

Last edited:

Devil You Know

I try to see the positive side of players where I can. I certainly think there's a chance that Antony can turn the corner and become a world class player. But for me, it's only about a 5% probability. There's 15% he'll eventually be a dependable top 4 player. 30% he'll get slightly better and contribute around 10-15 goals/assists per season. 30% he'll stay at his current level with only 5-9 goals/assists per season. And 20% he'll regress or lose his appetite, etc.

I'd personally sell sooner rather than later. The odds are against him making it to a level Manchester United need imo. We may end up with egg on our face if he suddenly finds his mojo. But that's the kind of thinking that lumped us with Martial for so many years. Anything over £50m would be amazing. But I think even in this market, we'd struggle for more than £40m.