2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Red_Aaron

I'm generally not one for conspiracy theories but I wonder if ETH did his old mates at Ajax a favour here. That transfer fee is so unbelievably inflated, no one in their right mind is paying over 20 for this guy and yet here's the clubs ex manager forking out near on 100 for him.

henrysquire

He's completely out of form that's one thing, but it seems it can only end with a 15m transfer to Brazilian or Dutch league
He's just not good enough and although we were desperate, we should never have sanctioned that kind of money for him. He's not likeable, either, from what I've seen. With Hojlund he seems passionate and you can see it might click with the right service and a month or two. With Antony, he looks stuck in the mud and has an ego that doesn't justify anything he's done since joining. And that stuff that came out about him being a womaniser. Guilty til proven, but he has that sulky Ronaldo pout that makes me think he's a douchebag off the field. Little man syndrome.

Donut

I'm generally not one for conspiracy theories but I wonder if ETH did his old mates at Ajax a favour here. That transfer fee is so unbelievably inflated, no one in their right mind is paying over 20 for this guy and yet here's the clubs ex manager forking out near on 100 for him.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they make a Netflix docuseries about this transfer in a few years when he’s playing in Brazil’s second division, similar to Anna Sorokin.

Fahad Jawaid

I would not want to waste my post on explaining how shit he was yesterday and how big of a cock up he has been throughout this time and an embarrassment for ETH.

My question for those who watch the academy and under 23s, do we not have anybody with raw pace and crossing coming through who we can deploy in place of him, because even that is enough, forget about dribbling, close control, progressive play and goal scoring from wingers that is for elite teams, We just need these small things, that is the magnitude of how shit he is and has been for us. Amad is not coming back soon enough.

tarc

Pep: I need a winger, good at 1 vs 1
Txiki: No problem. Signed Doku
Pep: He is better than I expected!

ETH: I need Antony
Murtough: No Problem. Signed Antony for 80M.
ETH: He is a fighter, he will become good.

I don't know who is worse, Antony the player, ETH who coached and demanded this player, or Murtough who signed the player.

Apt for here because it highlights both the 1 on 1 aspect as well as the good footballer aspect. You obviously want all attackers to have both, ideally, but usually wingers are heavily tilted toward the 1 on 1, as it's their job, for the most part. The good footballer bit, more reserved for play-making wide-men, even if applicable to other wide-types, it's more expected that a play-maker will be a very good/exceptional footballer.

.... I think the problems we have are pretty clear...

tarc

BTW, he won't finish the season with more yellow than g+a, right?

CallyRed

The Mirror linking us with a swap deal with Gabriel Barbosa. It's the Mirror, but I'm clinging on to any hope that he goes in the near future.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Yeah, he's shite

Been trying to convince myself he was going to come good, but I'v lost confidence

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We should try to cut losses and move him on but knowing us we won't. The search for that RW continues.

Mercurial

Pep: I need a winger, good at 1 vs 1
Txiki: No problem. Signed Doku
Pep: He is better than I expected!

ETH: I need Antony
Murtough: No Problem. Signed Antony for 80M.
ETH: He is a fighter, he will become good.

I don't know who is worse, Antony the player, ETH who coached and demanded this player, or Murtough who signed the player.
I'd blame Murtough, he is utterly incompetent for the role.
EtH more seem clueless and stunned his anemic Eredivisie players can't cope the EPL, he will learn. He need to let go of the past and his comforter Ajax and quickly develop a winners mentality.

GreatDane

I'd blame Murtough, he is utterly incompetent for the role.
EtH more seem clueless and stunned his anemic Eredivisie players can't cope the EPL, he will learn. He need to let go of the past and his comforter Ajax and quickly develop a winners mentality.
Other than Suarez and Eriksen, how many have actually successfully taken the step up from Eredivisie to the EPL?
*edit: Forgot many others, lack of coffee. Ruud, Bergkamp, RVP ect.

Maybe Antony is just extra shit.

Mercurial

Other than Suarez and Eriksen, how many have actually successfully taken the step up from Eredivisie to the EPL?

They produce nice ballplayers for sure, and many of their deficits I think get masked in their great system and weak opponents, so it's hard to judge. That said some of them have been immense for us over the years. Didn't watch Antony at Ajax so can't say if he was this bad then too or not, but he was sure a proper noname option. We got skinned.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This guy is not a united player. He’s useless! Another year goes by and we’re still struggling for a RW.

Aretak

Why did he cost so much?
Because the club dithered and dallied like it always does, wasted the entire summer chasing a player with zero interest in coming here instead of focusing on serious targets, and as a result left Ajax in a position to demand anything they liked because it was the end of the transfer window. And, of course, since there's nobody at the club with two brain cells to rub together, instead of walking away or switching to another, far cheaper target like Gakpo (who seems to be roughly eleventy billion times the player Antony is), they simply coughed up the money rather than say no to the new manager.

Ten Hag has to take his share of the blame for rating this chump, but the club was also an absolute embarrassment and got bent over a barrel as per usual.

Ceteris

If the rumours in the mirror are true, do the swap deal for Barbosa in January.

Knowing us we probably gave him stupid wages so we have to pay him to leave

Son

Robben too but that was an age ago with him so in recent years not so many ultra successful ones.

De Jong is and was the best talent from that league since Suarez if you ask me and he wouldn’t come here sadly.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Did anyone watch him regularly at Ajax? I assume he offered more there?
Ajax were such a functionally far more coherent team that no average wide player from the premier league would look out of place there. Go look at the football reference pages of Steven Bergwijn and Antony and you have your answer.

Rednotdead

I blame Ten Hag for this situation. The problem is his pig-headed insistence on using inverted wingers - can you imagine Fergie continually starting Giggs on the right and Beckham on the left? That’s also the reason for the lack of service to Hojlund, who needs wingers who go past their man and put in a cross.

Ten Hag said the players can’t play the Ajax way but he’s not allowing them to play the Utd way. He seems to be stuck in his thinking and can’t see - or won’t accept - what he needs to do to free up the players. McClaren knows the Utd way, why is he not getting involved?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Antony has been a rather fascinating signing for me ever since we were pursuing him and he was an unknown entity pre-Hag. I thought he'd be a success here for a few reasons:

• We'd cater to his game absolutely, by bringing in an electric, highly skilled overlapping fullback (I'm talking Mazraoui / Hakimi level)
  • He'd be coached and the weaker parts of his game eliminated
  • We would have a cohesive, Ajax-style attack, with lots of movement and chaotic actions orbiting him
  • He would be a better athlete than he is (this has probably been the biggest surprise)
  • He'd be far better at combination football as a whole than he is.
  • He'd be downright better skilled as a footballer

Goals, in and of themselves weren't as important as him being a playmaking winger who would constantly probe opposing backlines for pockets of space before threading balls (or himself) through them. I'll maintain he's the kind of signing you simply bypass if you're not going to give him what is essentially a world class overlapping FB; he *needs* a support flanker to the point of dependency. I didn't expect him to be so reliant on that, but the PL is like the slaughter house if you don't have the athleticism and/or wits or skill to cope - you have to find an effective lane, and it has to be known by all so that they have something to fear/respect you for. Antony's really is eroding now, as the level of respect he's being given is reducing.

Ultimately, if we are to ever see the real Antony, the conditions are the same; he never came up (made his name) without that level of FB who is a dream over-lapper. That is just a fact, so being shorn of that gives a skewed perspective of the player - if he ever manages to play with a Mazraoui/Hakimi level FB here and is just as atrocious, then that's really all there is to it. The question in the meantime is whether he has enough about his game in - what are for him - inopportune conditions - as an isolated, sole entity. A more natural winger who is expected to go it alone with no concern for anything around him. Does he? Well, the first issue he has is that he's really not good with progressive passing. If you can pass and move, you have no reliance on dribbling to evade markers, and you can still have them on toast without a single piece of trickery, so much so, even, that they don't know how to treat you because a lot of the same tenets of then getting too close and leaving space to be played around, are there. Jadon Sancho at his best is a perfect example of how a playmaking winger can use team-mates for intricate passing chains that leave markers for dead. Antony, however, is very inconsistent and unsure of himself when it comes to those simple, but rapid passing interchanges. Confidence is playing its part there, too. He's no Sancho at that stuff, but he's better than he's showing.

The second issue is he has to be able to beat at least a man more often than not, he's supposed to be wide man, ffs. Obertan, Richardson, Bebe, you name it, amongst our worst wide players, they could all beat a man. It's actually alarming how bad he is at getting round a single marker - you don't see that in the PL. Every wide player can beat a FB! It's part of the remit, otherwise how are you a wideman? Even if your preferred avenue is pass and move, beating a man as and when you have to is bread and butter. I'm not talking about slaloming through bodies, just a single man 1on1. Quite honestly, if this is something he truly cannot do, there shouldn't be a place for him as a starting winger. It's inexcusable and unfathomable and a lot of it has to be confidence based for him. I understand his issues with staying ahead of his FB, but beating them initially is paramount otherwise how can you be considered any type of winger? I'm going to put his woes down to his head being scrambled here because even if passing and moving is preferred, a winger has a prerequisite to be able to beat *a* man as and when needed to keep him honest.

My issue with Antony will always be that he doesn't warrant all the PT to work on his game. It's totally unfair on the others vying for the position, especially so when they too have things to work on and improve. Antony should not get all the PT because he excels in a few attributes. It's ridiculous for him to get runs of games where, say, a Pellistri gets hooked and not seen again for weeks on end. When Amad enters the fray, he too, needs to be given a fair chance to make his impression. It's even more poignant because neither Pellistri or Amad have that utter dependency on their FB to be effective, which, even in itself, gives them an inroad for Antony's PT. We don't need a defensive winger to the extent offensive contribution can be overlooked. Right now, Antony's no Dirk Kuyt, for example, who is considered a donkey who at least had his say on the offensive end - compared to Antony's contribution's, he's Cristiano Ronaldo... a Manchester United wide-man simply should not be a lesser Dirk Kuyt under any circumstances.
This is the biggest problem with Antony in terms of playing against Premier League defences. He simply isn't a threat in a 1v1 situation.

Antony kills our transitions, not simply because he's slow but because he's easy to fend off. Bernardo Silva, for example, isn't exactly Usain Bolt. However, like many 'slow' wide players, Bernardo is good at drawing defenders in, getting them on their heels and then going past them. Antony has shown no ability to do that and, as you say, if you're going to succeed in the Premier League you need to be able to.

I recognise that it can take a lot to adapt from Dutch football to English football. Nonetheless, the drop off in Antony's take on stats has been shocking. I can remember we used to joke about how Memphis found it easier in the Europa League than in the Premier League. However, I don't see any real difference between Antony's performances in Europe and domestically. Its a proper head scratcher. Sometimes it really is like watching a boy against men.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He's just not good enough and although we were desperate, we should never have sanctioned that kind of money for him. He's not likeable, either, from what I've seen. With Hojlund he seems passionate and you can see it might click with the right service and a month or two. With Antony, he looks stuck in the mud and has an ego that doesn't justify anything he's done since joining. And that stuff that came out about him being a womaniser. Guilty til proven, but he has that sulky Ronaldo pout that makes me think he's a douchebag off the field. Little man syndrome.
We have too many sulking players including Rashford and the sulkiest of them all, one Martial.

Where is the character.
Can you imagine a Roy Keane in the dressing room with these.
That is what we are lacking. Character and leadership.

Keanes Magic Hat

He's only 23, they must have thought there was potential there. He probably looked good in Dutch league where lack of pace wasn't such a liability

Prodigy24

I remember when we were first linked with him. Had never heard of him. Looked up some youtube clips of his goals and his trademark turn and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price in quote. He was hardly worth 30 million yet we ended up paying 80, and I still can't quite believe that.

He's been terrible lately, might be out of form with all the private stuff going on, but he wasn't much better before that either. Plus, he's extremely unlikeable, and even more so after the game against City. Never felt like this about a United player before.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If the rumours in the mirror are true, do the swap deal for Barbosa in January.

Knowing us we probably gave him stupid wages so we have to pay him to leave
He is apparently on 200k per week. Just for comparison:
- Luis Diaz 60k
- Alvarez 100k
- Gakpo 120k
- Nunez 140k
- Son 190k
- Saka 195k (lots of bonuses, so he earns way more and rightfully so, but his basic salary is less); his new contract was also signed this summer after it became clear he is one of the best wingers/players in the league

Antony earned 19k per week in Ajax, so someone needs to explain why the feck he (without even kicking a ball for us and proving anything) got 10 times higher in United. Obviously ten Hag has to share a lot of blame for the transfer itself, but it is clearly a complete feck up from everyone higher up as well. 100 - 120k was absolute ceiling in his case.

Idxomer

He's only 23, they must have thought there was potential there. He probably looked good in Dutch league where lack of pace wasn't such a liability
But he didn't look exceptional which should be the bar used for judging players coming from there. His numbers were very ordinary for a team that scored as much as Ajax. I think he had 4 assists before his move when Ajax scored over 100 goals in the league.

UnitedRepublic

When Højlund slid him through thats when he should of shown he was a good dribbler but what he showed was that he can’t dribble an oppenent. It’s one thing being able to do freestyle tricks but another thing being a good dribbler with ball at feet.

Red Comet

I’ve honestly seen much better dribbling from AWB than I have from Anthony.

Gordon Godot

I’ve honestly seen much better dribbling from AWB than I have from Anthony.
Such a terrible signing and why ETH should and I suspect will be sacked. Incredibly limited yet somehow ETH who knew him inside out felt he could compete in Premier League. EMbarrassing all round

Levenstein

Worst player on pitch yesterday. Kept running into defenders and giving the ball away. I would start Pellistri and bring Antony on for last 20-30 minutes.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is the biggest problem with Antony in terms of playing against Premier League defences. He simply isn't a threat in a 1v1 situation.

Antony kills our transitions, not simply because he's slow but because he's easy to fend off. Bernardo Silva, for example, isn't exactly Usain Bolt. However, like many 'slow' wide players, Bernardo is good at drawing defenders in, getting them on their heels and then going past them. Antony has shown no ability to do that and, as you say, if you're going to succeed in the Premier League you need to be able to.

I recognise that it can take a lot to adapt from Dutch football to English football. Nonetheless, the drop off in Antony's take on stats has been shocking. I can remember we used to joke about how Memphis found it easier in the Europa League than in the Premier League. However, I don't see any real difference between Antony's performances in Europe and domestically. Its a proper head scratcher. Sometimes it really is like watching a boy against men.
I can't recall another wide-man in the PL who cannot beat FB's 1on1; even Mata at his slowest could get by FB's. Granted, he had no pace or strength, but enough sleight of foot to send a man the wrong way and buy enough time and space to do something else with the ball. Mata also bought extra time by simply passing the ball off if the FB got too aggressive, so he was always respected in anything but straight up physical contests.

As I said in my post, dredging up the worst wide-men we've had, beating a man wasn't an issue - even when people were questioning if Bebe was a footballer, he could beat a man, before punting his cross into the stands etc.

As you've said, it doesn't matter what type of wide-man you are, there's means and ways to get by your FB if you're savvy enough. Bernado constantly lures with his touch before bouncing a give and go or whatever trap he sets and he's on his way. I find Antony constantly messes up the initial pass, then tries to 'power' past the FB who simply stands his ground, at which point Antony looks quite baffled as to what he can try next.

I would think his form has been affected by external stuff, but it really feels like the word's out and PL FB's just have contempt for his game now. They don't even try to tackle him relying on brute force to usher him off instead. They also don't care if he slips them because he doesn't have any pace to stay ahead, which is emboldening that initial approach, I think. If you can't dribble them, you become extremely predictable, too.

It feels to me like your last sentence is what has been exacerbated by the way he is being man-handled, like he isn't physically capable at PL level. It's a big concern, especially when the rest of the skillset is so mediocre.