2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Stig

For me Antony is ETH's biggest mistake, and kind of kills his credibility.

TempusFugit

Marcus Edwards from Sporting is a far better player than Antony. Would actually be a smart deal as well, but we don't do that at Man Utd. We're the only club who would spend £85m on a player who can't dribble, pass or shoot accurately.

Any competent RW would be a massive improvement over Antony at this point, he actively makes our team worse.
Teams can just ignore our right flank and pile on Rashford/Højlund effectively nullifying any threat. If he starts in the CL game then Ten Hag needs to take a look at himself.

GreatDane

It's crazy that you and I know this. And this isn't even our job.
Yet the people at our club whose job it is to negotiate salaries don't know this.
I am absolutely sure that they are hiring staff who are not fit for the job.
It's mad. And it's not just Antony, our wages in general are crazy without having anything to show for it.
I really hope we get someone competent in charge behind the scenes because we are fighting against ourselves.

Glorio

The puzzling thing is he played for EtH at Ajax, so EtH must know his abilities in and out. On one hand, I wonder if he's seen some otherworldly potential locked away that the rest of us haven't yet, or if it was simply what it looks like: a monumental error in judgement, a sackable offence really

Most times the simplest answer is the reality, but surely EtH can't be that dumb? He actively pushed for him almost throughout the summer :houllier:

Ekeke

Anthonys problem is similar to sanchos. They rarely beat their fullbacks one v one. They always go back and recycle possession. This is why games can appear to pass them when their fullback isnt making overlapping runs to help them. If either of them played for say mancity, they would look absolutely world class…but at manutd they will always look bad. Manutd wingers have always been needed to have the ability to beat their fb one v one without assistance…and if you cant beat them at least have an amazing cross accuracy like beckham. Unfortunately their passing is also average with sancho being a slightly better passer than anthony.

All in all, anthonys biggest strength is his workrate when tracking back and that isnt good enough for a manutd winger
Just isnt true. They have overlapping and underlapping runs to pass to, just like City and the rest. They choose to go inside instead of playing the pass. Then they dither and pass the ball back

Red Comet

If anything ETH has shown that his transfer acumen is not the best. His transfer framework seems to be following this logic:

1. Did he play for me before?
2. If not, did he play for AJAX?
3. If not, did he play in the Eredivisie?
4. If not, did he play for a team that my team played against?

Marcus

I think he may be affected by the ongoing allegations against him. EtH needs to have wisdom here.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Didn't we hear that for Ajax he was all about staying wide, doign a 'move' to cut onto his left and playing an in-swinging ball to Haller? Why can't he try that, I dunno, once to our giant striker? It's just so strange.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I'm generally not one for conspiracy theories but I wonder if ETH did his old mates at Ajax a favour here. That transfer fee is so unbelievably inflated, no one in their right mind is paying over 20 for this guy and yet here's the clubs ex manager forking out near on 100 for him.
It has to be thoroughly investigated. Whether it's Ten Hag or scouts. It's George Weah's cousin level suspicious.

We won't move on as a club until we look into these horrendous transfers because we'll just keep doing the same thing.

mu4c_20le

I think he may be affected by the ongoing allegations against him. EtH needs to have wisdom here.
Perhaps. It doesn't look like the case is going anywhere though, and he seems to have won the public perception battle anyways.

Rednotdead

In some ways I think Antony is a victim of Ten Hag’s pig-headed insistence on using inverted wingers. It’s simply not working but he refuses to acknowledge it. Can you imagine Fergie continually starting Giggs on the right and Beckham on the left? We need wingers who can consistently put crosses in for the central striker. Hojlund is getting no service at all from the wings and is living on crumbs.

This is just another reason why I don’t think Ten Hag is up to the job of managing Utd.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In some ways I think Antony is a victim of Ten Hag’s pig-headed insistence on using inverted wingers. It’s simply not working but he refuses to acknowledge it. Can you imagine Fergie continually starting Giggs on the right and Beckham on the left? We need wingers who can consistently put crosses in for the central striker. Hojlund is getting no service at all from the wings and is living on crumbs.

This is just another reason why I don’t think Ten Hag is up to the job of managing Utd.
100% Giggs would be playing on the right if he was 22 now. Beckham would be RB.

Pes6Monster

Antony cannot cross, but either can Pellistri or AWB. Dalot is the best bet but Copenhagen will see him coming.

Could be a good game to posit AM as a false 9 rather than his usual position as false footballer. Rashford cannot play both halves if his work-rate is poor. mount must play somewhere, also.

Drop Antony and give Mount or Bruno the right. Rashford even. Garnacho left.

But do not rely on Antony.

Kingslayer18

If there ever was a transfer that could sink a manager, this is it. A lot of blame to go all around, why did Murtough not veto this deal at that price considering the red flags the scouts came up with. Plus, they increased his wages by over 10x when there was no need to. He basically earns as much as Bruno, who is our best player. Ajax knew that ETH has a reputation for being stubborn so basically cranked up the price to see how far we would go. At that price, we should have pivoted and gone for Gakpo at half the price. There were still other options outside Antony and Gakpo as wingers. Most of ETH's career has been in the Eredivisie and we should've realised that and that's why his targets are focused on that league.

Our recruitment stinks and Ratcliffe is right to shine a spotlight there and bring in the best in class as DOF and Head of Recruitment. I don't think our scouts are the problem, I think they are able to identify options and discuss red flags but they are not the ones responsible for the price and wages. That is on Murtough and we have had enough time with him in charge, to realise that he's not up to the job. If his administration skills are good, then demote him and make him football administration of head of football operations reporting to a DoF.

ETH is being stubborn by constantly playing Antony and it could be his undoing as coach and manager. The rest of the squad won't have any confidence in Antony and they will sense favouritism if ETH keeps on playing him.

MadMike

Didn't we hear that for Ajax he was all about staying wide, doign a 'move' to cut onto his left and playing an in-swinging ball to Haller? Why can't he try that, I dunno, once to our giant striker? It's just so strange.
Well when he could do that (cut inside and cross), his crosses have been largely terrible. So I don’t know how it worked at Ajax but here, he very rarely has been able to find a man with an in-swinging cross. Usually hits the first CB.

But nowadays he can’t even do that. The whole league has clocked onto the fact that he’s slow and extremely one sided. So every LB marks the inside route, showing him outside. Antony never goes outside because he has no right foot nor pace to get around. So when he turns inside he basically turns into the defender and to protect the ball he has to keep turning to be facing almost backwards.

From that angle and bodyshape it’s impossible to see what is happening in the box and he can’t cross or shoot with any effect. It’s also the reason all his shots are now very wildly off target.

Last edited:

MadMike

Rapidly becoming the new spacegoat
If your second most expensive player ever has has been a gigantic flop (in the bottom 13% percentile for assists, bottom 25% for goals) and your RW is offering nothing as a result, is that even scapegoating?

mikeyt

Cut our losses now. Him, Sancho, Martial, and I’d personally say Bruno, not that it will happen should be let go of as quickly as we can. Then bring in players that ETH has never worked with by employing a competent DOF.
The Antony signing has to be the worst of the terrible bunch over the years. I mean Martial scores a few goals once. Sancho had a couple of games where he did something and Bruno, well he’s had some great moments. All, however are not what we need if we want to progress as a club

Unam333

Not in his best phase of his career. He needs time out, build is confidence up. Give other players time on that right side. Pellistri, Amad, Bruno even Mount.

Big Andy

Bloke
I get that Antony has been shit this season, but to use that as a stick to bat Ten Hag with is ludicrous. Last season he was decent enough without being spectacular, but he scored and assisted last season. It all went to shit once Erik hooked him for a dew games for doing that stupid spin and then dribbling it out of play.

Litch

I get that Antony has been shit this season, but to use that as a stick to bat Ten Hag with is ludicrous. Last season he was decent enough without being spectacular, but he scored and assisted last season. It all went to shit once Erik hooked him for a dew games for doing that stupid spin and then dribbling it out of play.
Come on, who else could you blame?

aeh1991

Not in his best phase of his career. He needs time out, build is confidence up. Give other players time on that right side. Pellistri, Amad, Bruno even Mount.
Nothing to do with confidence or bad phase. He is just not good enough. The sooner we get rid of him the better.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’ve defended him a fair but he’s somehow come back after his break and become even worse. In fact he’s lost all the good parts of his game - excellent ball retention, decent link up and super pressing - and is now just consistently displaying all his glaring weaknesses. Doesn’t deserve to start anymore.

We should sell both him and Sancho and totally refresh the attack to support Hojlund and Rashford. If you want standards you have to be ruthless. And if Rashford continues his crap performances next season replace him too. The club needs to step it up in terms of sales.

Dike_Manc

Yeah, me too. I called it very early in his United career. Antony just has nothing to him, how Ten Hag thought he was worth 80 million after working with him is a serious red flag for me.
I'm Ten Hag in, but I just can't get over that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I genuinely think he'll go down as the worst signing, not just in our history, but potentially all of football.

Worse then Coutinho, worse then Torres, worse then Sancho, worse then Griezmann, worse then Lukaku, worse then Carroll etc. etc.

At least with all of those (bar Carroll) the had been top class prior to the move and/or had very impressive stats (which to be faor to Carroll he actually had). This lad didn't even have the stats or, well, anything to back up his move.

Baxquux

I genuinely think he'll go down as the worst signing, not just in our history, but potentially all of football.

Worse then Coutinho, worse then Torres, worse then Sancho, worse then Griezmann, worse then Lukaku, worse then Carroll etc. etc.

At least with all of those (bar Carroll) the had been top class prior to the move and/or had very impressive stats (which to be faor to Carroll he actually had). This lad didn't even have the stats or, well, anything to back up his move.
In terms of impact and relative price tag, adjusted for inflation, Carroll is a good comparison. In terms of expensive wide forwards, maybe Hazard at Real Madrid , again in terms of what he brings or has brought to the purchasing team, although Antony does at least 'work and keep himself fit to compensate for the chasm in ability between himself and players like Hazard....

Big Andy

Bloke
Come on, who else could you blame?
If we'd paid £30m for him then he'd not be getting half the stick he's getting now. So therefore, I place the majority of the blame on the money men above Ten Hag tbh.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
In terms of impact and relative price tag, adjusted for inflation, Carroll is a good comparison. In terms of expensive wide forwards, maybe Hazard at Real Madrid , again in terms of what he brings or has brought to the purchasing team, although Antony does at least 'work and keep himself fit to compensate for the chasm in ability between himself and players like Hazard....
Yeah Hazard and Carroll would be the two - but with Hazard, at least you could see why Real Madrid would want to spend all that money on him in the first place (he was genuinely one of the best players in the world) - but then yeah, the end result has been worse then Anthony.

Carroll, absolutely shocking transfer, but had something like 30 goals in 60 games for Newcastle, so again, there was some (misguided) logic there. But yeah, shite.

Unam333

In my opinion Sanchez to United was the worst transfer ever. On massive wages, he didn't perform and he didn't even want to be at United. (I know he was a free signing, but his astronomical wages, dearly me...)

troylocker

Paying 95M for a tiny winger with "nothing" to show for outside the Netherlands and Brazil and good (not great) numbers from the smaller leagues, and then expect him to be a success in the toughest league in the world... That pretty much makes him a stick to beat ETH with.
For 95M he wasn't decent last year, he was a huge disappointment. For that kind of money you expect a world beater with at least 20 contributions and hope for 30+ a season. Not someone who can be a decent rotation option in one position. So far he's on 11 in 55 games, has shown horrible decisionmaking and from what I 've seen, this seems to be his level and what we can expect from him in the future as well.
The most frustrating thing about him for me is that he seems to think it's possible to pass the ball into the far corner from 20+ yards out at least a couple of times every game (that works once or twice a season), and he does it in situations where we have 2-3 players making runs around him.....

Matt851

Because the club dithered and dallied like it always does, wasted the entire summer chasing a player with zero interest in coming here instead of focusing on serious targets, and as a result left Ajax in a position to demand anything they liked because it was the end of the transfer window. And, of course, since there's nobody at the club with two brain cells to rub together, instead of walking away or switching to another, far cheaper target like Gakpo (who seems to be roughly eleventy billion times the player Antony is), they simply coughed up the money rather than say no to the new manager.

Ten Hag has to take his share of the blame for rating this chump, but the club was also an absolute embarrassment and got bent over a barrel as per usual.
Ten hag is the one who is most to blame. Regardless of fee its a serious lapse of judgement to think he was good enough for us. Apparently he also pushed for him after our initial bids of upto £50m were rejected

Annihilate Now!

Scout
In my opinion Sanchez to United was the worst transfer ever. On massive wages, he didn't perform and he didn't even want to be at United. (I know he was a free signing, but his astronomical wages, dearly me...)
It's close for me, but Anthony pips Sanchez currently for me as:

- Anthony cost more (think Sanchez cost us around £60m in the end),
- Sanchez was obviously a top-quality player before he came to us - so there was at least some reasoning to the cost.
- Sanchez had way better stats (14 G/A in 45 games, so almost a goal contribution ever 3 games) - he also scored that FA Cup semi final goal and played a huge part in that comeback victory over City at the Etihad.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
From what we saw in Sunderland (yes, it is not PL so not the same thing), Amad is twice the player already. With much bigger potential. He will take RW spot when he becomes 100% fit.

Gordon Godot

It's close for me, but Anthony pips Sanchez currently for me as:

- Anthony cost more (think Sanchez cost us around £60m in the end),
- Sanchez was obviously a top-quality player before he came to us - so there was at least some reasoning to the cost.
- Sanchez had way better stats (14 G/A in 45 games, so almost a goal contribution ever 3 games) - he also scored that FA Cup semi final goal and played a huge part in that comeback victory over City at the Etihad.
I agree, Antony had shown very little Ajax to suggest he was a top talent, as our scouts had already confirmed. ETH's major flaw and weakness is leaning on players he knows, at least 4 of his signings played for him and 4-5 played against him in Dutch league. The number of such players we have signed is unprecedented for a top football club in Europe. Obviously club management should have prevented this and they are also culpable, but this is reminiscent of Moyes who want Fellani and Baines as his priority signings at United