2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

TrailMonkey

I’d rather drag Russell Beardsmore out of retirement and give him a game than this fraud.

crossy1686

career ending
You would hope he gets the Sancho treatment when the next manager comes in. Hopefully he's stupid enough to move once Ten Hag get's fired, its not like he's got a lot of friends around these parts.

crossy1686

career ending
The weird part is that he looked the real deal at Ajax and one of the biggest talents. But his sting got taken out of him when he landed here, and he's becoming less and less direct, which was his force at Ajax.

Needs to up his machoness and be more arrogant. Also need to cross to Højlund or whoever is in the box more.
Japp Stam said yesterday he wasn't even one of the best players in the league, which makes his move even stranger, and he also said there's only 5 'good' teams in the league so no wonder he could perform against the lesser teams.

Gordon Godot

Japp Stam said yesterday he wasn't even one of the best players in the league, which makes his move even stranger, and he also said there's only 5 'good' teams in the league so no wonder he could perform against the lesser teams.
This is why United scouts had already ruled him out. But the geniuses running the club allowed ETH to waste £80m on him.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

This is why United scouts had already ruled him out. But the geniuses running the club allowed ETH to waste £80m on him.
Nobody had ruled him out. There are different versions of the story, it's just convenient to place all the blame on the shoulder of the person who's already with one foot out of the club. Antony was very high on the list of possible RW targets even before ETH set foot at OT. Not just on ours, De Visser (one of Chelsea's lead scouts during the Abramovich era) has mentioned that they wanted to sign him before he went to Ajax. In the summer of 2022 ETH identified the RW position as one that needed serious reinforcements and the transfer committee agreed with him. When we left everything to the very last minute, like we usually do, and Antony's price tag became exorbitant, it was one person, Marcel Bout (now a scout at Newcastle, Dutchman who came with LvG and was kept afterward), who argued that Antony isn't worth the fee. He was overruled not by ETH, but by John Murtough who argued that the RW market would be even more inauspicious next season. From that point, ETH wanted the player and the rest just went with Murtough's assessment.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Nobody had ruled him out. There are different versions of the story, it's just convenient to place all the blame on the shoulder of the person who's already with one foot out of the club. Antony was very high on the list of possible RW targets even before ETH set foot at OT. Not just on ours, De Visser (one of Chelsea's lead scouts during the Abramovich era) has mentioned that they wanted to sign him before he went to Ajax. In the summer of 2022 ETH identified the RW position as one that needed serious reinforcements and the transfer committee agreed with him. When we left everything to the very last minute, like we usually do, and Antony's price tag became exorbitant, it was one person, Marcel Bout (now a scout at Newcastle, Dutchman who came with LvG and was kept afterward), who argued that Antony isn't worth the fee. He was overruled not by ETH, but by John Murtough who argued that the RW market would be even more inauspicious next season. From that point, ETH wanted the player and the rest just went with Murtough's assessment.
Murtough madness :drool:

fps

This is his level - this is him playing as well as he can. He is about as good as Bernard who signed for Everton and was a fringe player in Brazil's World Cup squads.

dcrompton

Everyone goes on about how one-footed he is but fail to mention how he’s actually pretty useless with his left too! Can’t cross, can’t pass and ok, he’s scored a few long shots but his shooting is definitely more miss than hit

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's not scored or assisted in 1,128mins in all competitions (assist against Wolves last season). That's over 12 full games.

In all honesty though, all of our attackers are struggling. I think he has potential, there are matches where he looks lively. I don't think he's a complete lost cause, see what he can do under a different Manager before completely discarding him.

Stacks

That’s because it’s much easier to beat players far from their goal, given that they’re more likely to take risks in order to win the ball and start a counterattack. The closer you get to their goal, the more cautious your opponents become, and Antony is unable to beat a man that’s not charging at him.
exactly. They are far less locked in on defence as there is little impending danger.

Stacks

He's not scored or assisted in 1,128mins in all competitions (assist against Wolves last season). That's over 12 full games.

In all honesty though, all of our attackers are struggling. I think he has potential, there are matches where he looks lively. I don't think he's a complete lost cause, see what he can do under a different Manager before completely discarding him.
A different manager is not going to magically grant him strength, pace, skills, shooting, crossing, IQ, passing, vision

DromiskinRed

Whilst I’ve not been a fan of the guy, he strangely has seemed much more positive in the last few games despite Utd being useless. Very hard to judge people in the current atmosphere, put holding onto to people just because we paid a lot of money has not done us any good with players like Fred and Maguire.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A different manager is not going to magically grant him strength, pace, skills, shooting, crossing, IQ, passing, vision
I do think a lot is the environment too. Any full back we play is laboured to get round him, Scott is the midfielder inside of him who couldn't trap a could trap a bag of cement and he's had a tough personal situation. He was never worth his fee, but he's certainly far better than he's currently showing.

aeh1991

I do think a lot is the environment too. Any full back we play is laboured to get round him, Scott is the midfielder inside of him who couldn't trap a could trap a bag of cement and he's had a tough personal situation. He was never worth his fee, but he's certainly far better than he's currently showing.
He has shown nothing to prove your thesis here. In his 1.5 seasons, the most memorable thing I remember from him so far is his stupid 360 ball circling.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He has shown nothing to prove your thesis here. In his 1.5 seasons, the most memorable thing I remember from him so far is his stupid 360 ball circling.
He is obviously better than 1 assist and no goals in 25 games. He has shown flashes, but that really has been it so far. I don't think he'll ever be worth his fee and I'm not even sure he'll make it here, but I think he's the least of our problems.

Gordon Godot

He is obviously better than 1 assist and no goals in 25 games. He has shown flashes, but that really has been it so far. I don't think he'll ever be worth his fee and I'm not even sure he'll make it here, but I think he's the least of our problems.
How is he 'obviously better' than 1 assist in 25 games. Those are literally his stats. Its not like he creates loads of chances or been peppering the wood work with shots. We are devoid of threat from him. He is almost now as bad as Weghorst

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
How is he 'obviously better' than 1 assist in 25 games. Those are literally his stats. Its not like he creates loads of chances or been peppering the wood work with shots. We are devoid of threat from him. He is almost now as bad as Weghorst
He's shown he can be better than that. In the same way Rashford isn't a 2 goal in 20 player. Scott is our top scorer ffs, there is something seriously dysfunctional with our team.

Apokalips

Thiago Silva, at 39, getting back at him after he did that nice bit of skill to dupe him, as the oldest CB to play for Chelsea by this point, is about the most tragic I've seen. Recovered and took the ball back off him with ease.
That was so bad, getting so easily stopped by an old CB that you've just done with a lovely bit of skill shows his limitations. He is so poor physically and not much better technically from a passing, crossing or shooting stand point. I really don't see how he is a winger and Ten Hag would have known exactly how poor he was physically which doesn't reflect well on him.

Bobski

The weird part is that he looked the real deal at Ajax and one of the biggest talents. But his sting got taken out of him when he landed here, and he's becoming less and less direct, which was his force at Ajax.

Needs to up his machoness and be more arrogant. Also need to cross to Højlund or whoever is in the box more.
Ziyech was far better in the same role for Ajax, and ended up a pretty average PL player.

mu4c_20le

He was never one of europe's hottest talents. I'd even argue that Kudus was always rated higher, and having managed both, ETH shouldn't have any excuses going for the street baller.

flameinthesun

Two issues with the Antony signing but two different responsibilities for it.

Ten Hag is responsible for wanting him, should have been overuled by the scouts but he wanted him and tbf to Ten Hag of his permanent signings from last season, during that season, from a performance perspective only Antony was a bad signing and you could say on performance he was a decentish signing based on some of the goals he contributed if you wanted. So Ten Hag is allowed that as.a bad signing, very rarely do all your signings in a window work.

The club is responsible for the stupid fee paid, that is solely on the club. They could have gotten him for half the price, way earlier in the window and for some odd reason waited until he would cost basically twice as much. They made such a thing of the change to recruitment etc yet made one of the most brain dead decisions in signing Antony for that price.

If he had been brought in for 40mil there would still be rightful moaning at his performances but the ridiculousness of the signing would have been less impactful.

RedDevil@84

Didn't he put one on the plate for Rashy only for Rashy to fluff an easy goal (Was it the Everton game?)

aeh1991

Our main issue right now is that we are terribly bad at creating goal chances and from a wing forward, I expect at least some contribution. Antony has not only failed to have goals or assists, he isn't even able to create chances. You can say whatever you want about Bruno (bad leader, always falling down, dangerous pass misses etc), but he creates chances at least. Antony can't beat his man, he never could. He was brought to solve our RW problems but he hasn't delivered anything. He and Rashford are the two biggest problems alongside Onana imo.

Wilt

Incredibly that player currently training with the reserves for the last 3 months and who was also banished to Holland for 3 months of last season has still managed more goals & assists than Antony has in the same period of time. In fact he has the same amount of goals and assists as Antony since he’s been banished. That’s how bad Antony is.
Sickens me to see him wearing a Utd shirt.

Just want him gone.

Stacks

He scored in his 1st 3 EPL games last season then went on to 1 goal and 2 assists in 22 remaining games. This is his level
People seem to think it will work for the rest of the squad.
Some of them have shown a higher level but majority aren't good enough. We have same players here who have been disappointed across multiple managers

Liverpool 0:0 Man Utd

led_scholes

He tried and ran.

BUT WHY THW HELL he always stops playing after he gives a pass or shoots and doest reach the target. He always starts waving his hands. Thats frustrates me a lot.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He§s still one of the players the next manager can make player out of. Hes got tools, but obviously if we have 30% of the ball and are pressed so much its impossible for any attacking player to get in the game. Simple as that.

marktan

He's a £15m player really. You have the likes of Doku, Wirtz, even the likes of Olise around, and we manage to sign the one guy that should be playing for Sheffield Utd

Did actually beat a man today though at one point though, thought my eyes were seeing things. End ball as usual nothing to it

HookedOnAPhelan

Still leaves a lot to be desired offensively, but my god did he fecking run today. Excellent defensive performance, which was just what was needed considering the circumstances.

Jev

Strange day to criticize him. He was good after the break, our biggest threat, and it was bizarre to take him off.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Extremely odd player. He's our only outlet at points and works his socks off, but he's got to be doing more in the final third. He does all the other bits great, but falls to shit when he reaches the box.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
One nice moment where he beat his defender superbly. Otherwise - terrible at everything but defending.

Edit - and also the move which resulted in Hojlund’s chance

Betson

He tries hard , puts in an effort every time but just lacks quality. Brings near zero threat on the attack , opposition defenders do not mind him getting on the ball.