2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

HookedOnAPhelan

Yeah, he's frustrating, but he runs his fecking socks off for the team, game after game. Never gives up, and never lets his head drop. You'd think our fans would at the very least appreciate that, after all the lazy shite we've had to endure in recent years.

Oranges038

He's a hard worker. Lacks any real pace and his decision making is poor at best most of the time. Worked his socks off defensively today, wasn't brilliant overall but put in a shift. I think a few of those breaks he got away would have amounted to more with a player with more pace.

El Jefe

There's no version of a good front three with Antony in it unless the other two players are world class.

He works hard and shows some decent bits of skill but he is not a goal threat or a creative threat.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Yeah, he's frustrating, but he runs his fecking socks off for the team, game after game. Never gives up, and never lets his head drop. You'd think our fans would at the very least appreciate that, after all the lazy shite we've had to endure in recent years.
Well I could have appreciated those traits if we brought him for free or on a loan. We paid insane money for an attacker with absolutely zero attacking output. We are halfway through his second season and he has 0 goals & 0 assists this season. Hard to look at his work ethic with such output

HookedOnAPhelan

Well I could have appreciated those traits if we brought him for free or on a loan. We paid insane money for an attacker with absolutely zero attacking output. We are halfway through his second season and he has 0 goals & 0 assists this season. Hard to look at his work ethic with such output
Yeah what a cnut he is demanding United pay so much money for him.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I could definitely see Antony in a defensive role with a proper RW in front of him.
I wondered about this too, but honestly why bother trying to make do and turn him into something he isn’t when we can ship him out along with Dalot and get a competent RW and RB. Seems too much hassle for such a limited player.

lsd

The Oracle

Weird how Fellaini got booed for doing the same thing despite choosing a lot less and contributing more

mu4c_20le

Yeah but enough about Dan James.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
Ran his socks off which is more than Martial and Rashford can ever say

forget about the price tag. The moneys gone. He has the right attitude and can be part of a squad to get us back, he was never worth the sum we paid and that’s on Ten Haag as he watched him train every day for 2 years and still pulled the trigger but we’ve much bigger problems than a player who knuckles down like he did today

SAFMUTD

It's amazing how he can't outpace any opponent. Literally none, it's like he doesn't even try. Gets the ball with advantage and space yet he doesn't full sprint he stops and cuts inside like he gives up on the chance of winning the sprinting duel.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Scapegoat…‘A person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others’

Antony is blamed for all his wrongdoings, mistakes and faults. Of which, he has many.
Honestly I don’t even blame Antony much. He always leaves everything on the pitch and that I admire. It’s just that he’s not actually that talented - in teams of physical gifts, technical excellence, weight of pass, proper awareness on the football field. It’s the fact that the club approved spending that much on him that I find so bizarre and worthy of criticism.

redNATION

He’s never going to be Salah or Hazard so let’s put that to one side.

But he doesn’t even have the talent, ability or physical attributes to be as good as wingers the next tier down (Son, Mane, Sterling I’m thinking). If we’re to compete for the title that’s the standard and Antony doesn’t come close. I genuinely think he would struggle in the SPL.

All this talk of hard work and putting in a shift, that’s the minimum we should expect. His attacking play handicaps us and needs replacing asap, like most of the squad.

Blood Mage

I see potential in him as a defensive winger like Park but yeah he doesn't have much quality. Like another poster said if we're going to make him work then the other two attackers have to be world class like they were during Park's day

Piskin

Needs to be sold on in the summer along with Bruno, Rashford & McTominay

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
Who was the better player in the Dutch league - Anthony or Kudus?
I guess it's by the by now, but I am curious how Antony was rated at Ajax.
Antony was key in Ajax winning the league so I’d imagine him.
Jaap Stam on The Overlap (47:50-49:20) spoke about Antony. He said he wasn’t exactly the best player in the Eredivisie, questioned the fee and whether he can play at this level and noted how it’s easy to standout in a league full of mediocre players.

I would trust Stam‘s judgement on this. Personally, I wasn’t moved by Antony’s compilations. It’s always a red flag when they are mostly pieces of skill and not many great crosses or passes. And that is exactly what we have got. Nice moments of flashiness from time to time but a dearth of decisive plays

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
I see potential in him as a defensive winger like Park but yeah he doesn't have much quality. Like another poster said if we're going to make him work then the other two attackers have to be world class like they were during Park's day
The difference is that Park was more than just a hard worker defensively (and even then, his tackling, pressing and tracking back is better than Antony’s). Park could also shoot and cross with both feet. His movement was unreal, he could find pockets of space or he would perfectly time runs in behind. He was surprisingly good in the air also. Despite also lacking pace and power like Antony, he could at least work a yard to get a cross in or play in an overlapping runner or play a one-two to beat his fullback. Park’s football IQ is in a different galaxy to Antony’s, alongside the variety to his game. While Park often played a defensive role in big games we must not forget that he was also a brilliant attacker & he has goals and assists in so many big games to show for it (Chelsea, Liverpool, AC Milan and Arsenal).

In fairness to Antony he has his goals against Arsenal, Barcelona and City but his current goal drought is so bad I’m not sure where his next goal might come from.

NoPace

I think he'll stick around as the team is much more balanced with him on the right, but it's looking like 70M on a decent backup.

No idea what his market is. If it's 30-35M to a Serie A team, I think Ten Hag will reject it. If it's closer to 45-50M then probably you pull the trigger, but I don't see a team offering that much.

Cloud7

I wonder what becomes of him in the long term. I assume (Not entirely sure) he was signed on a five year contract. The player we see this season is the same as last season, which is a man who is simply not good enough. Next season will be his third year here, so you would assume that if he doesn't magically find some way to become an actual attacking outlet next season, then the club would be looking at moving him on then to get some value. Personally I would move him on this summer, but I can't see ETH giving up on his marquee attacking signing. I would be very surprised if there were any considerations at the club with regards to renewing him.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
It’s a shame he’s not slightly taller and physical as I think he could be an effective wing back much like Tony Valencia was.

he has the work rate and can throw himself about a bit in tackles but he’s just a little too small.

aeh1991

Comparing Antony to Park is an insult to the latter. They can't be more different either, aside from the energy aspect. Park made the players around him shine by doing the dirty work, creating spaces, move into spaces and being part of the combination play - with occasionally scoring the important goals. Even technichally he was much more underrated than his reputation, his ability to dribble or use both feet was decent. I've seen nothing that even implies Antony could do that. He just runs like a headless chicken, has zero vision and mostly stops and passes back to the midfielder and stays at his position instead of moving into the empty space. He's absolutely terrible.

SonOfFergie

It seems with Antony that a jump from Eredivisie to EPL was to big. Would give him a season more but it seems physicality, speed, need for quicker thinking is to high for him to fully express himself. He would probably flourish in Bundesliga though.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Terrible going forward. Laughable that he's almost through on goal on the counter attack and just stops the ball dead, looking confusingly for a pass.

Sell at next opportunity and get a real right winger in there.

Camilo

He's not the quickest player, but that would be ok if he'd just train up his right foot to be even remotely useful. He was in plenty of good positions yesterday, and just having the threat of going wide and crossing would a) get us some actual crosses from the right, and b) would free up space for him to cut inside.

Seems bonkers that he hasn't improved on bit in this regard. He's not a bad player. He's not an 80 million pound player, but hey.

Rossa

Very different from Depay, but similar in that he lacks that final speed to get him away from defenders and/or win the ball in foot races. He's far from slow, but most fullbacks in the PL are very athletic, and seeing as he isn't a playmaker out wide, his wing play is severely lacking. Garnacho isn't a speedster either, but he has more tricks up his sleeve and still has both better acceleration and top speed which are just about enough - and he will develop.

Antony either needs to develop his game into more of a Mata style out wide, Mahrez or Bernardo Silva - he will never be able to play as a winger that can take on his man. Unfortunately, being as isolated as he often is, that is what we are asking of him.

Rossa

Terrible going forward. Laughable that he's almost through on goal on the counter attack and just stops the ball dead, looking confusingly for a pass.

Sell at next opportunity and get a real right winger in there.
That's my biggest concern - pace may be an issue, but even when he has acres of space he doesn't trust himself.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Him and Tsimikas battling it out on the wing yesterday was the stuff of prime modern (midtable) Serie A boredom. A stand-off at a perfect equilibrium where nothing happens because of the sheer mediocrity of both participants.

Marwood

I don't get those saying he's got good technique.

A decent first touch but everything else looks really awkward to me.

That pass he tries with the outside of his left foot. It's so technically wrong.