2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Smores

If Amad had come on and put in that performance he'd probably never play for us again. What has Antony done to deserve special treatment?

It's hard to even argue that Antony has a better top level so we should persist because we don't even know that for sure.

soapythecat

My dislike for him grows with every performance. He will forever be remembered for his pointless 360 spin against a lower league side (forgot who) when there was no one around him, and his OTT celebration against Newport County. Pathetic individual who thinks he is so much better than he is. I don't think he could do a job for half the teams in the Championship.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
My dislike for him grows with every performance. He will forever be remembered for his pointless 360 spin against a lower league side (forgot who) when there was no one around him, and his OTT celebration against Newport County. Pathetic individual who thinks he is so much better than he is. I don't think he could do a job for half the teams in the Championship.
Hes making a show of United.

Skills

Snitch
If Amad had come on and put in that performance he'd probably never play for us again. What has Antony done to deserve special treatment?

It's hard to even argue that Antony has a better top level so we should persist because we don't even know that for sure.
Earned SEG a fair bit of money.

next_number_seven

Last season he had some use. Never even 30 mil worth player of course but he had some good games and roles. This year he looks completely out of depth. Winger who causes zero threat.
Worst thing is that we are stuck with him. We can't sell him for even half price that we payed and club will not sell him for bargain fee because it is bad for the books. Also, his wage is too high for most of clubs.

Shit situation.
How long is his contract?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Antony is simply an appalling footballer relative to expectations. Could he go a job for a club like Everton or maybe even Palace? Sure. That he blocks time on the pitch that could have gone to Pellistri or Amad boggles the mind.
No.

Imagine going from Olise to Antony...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hazard to Real maybe
At least there was some justification behind spending that money on Hazard - he was one of, if not, the best player in the Premier League at one point.

There was zero justification to spend £80m on Antony

ShinjiNinja26

Genuinely terrible. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting line up ever again and should only be brought off the bench in an absolute last resort situation.

binary bot
At least there was some justification behind spending that money on Hazard - he was one of, if not, the best player in the Premier League at one point.

Half the transfer forum were able to justify it at the time. It was completely mental and highlights the ridiculousness of transfer hysteria amongst supporters.

EireRed_GS

hes a bit of a product of a modern day youtube footballer.

these days lads that can do a couple flicks, spins and feints get held up high by internet fans who only watch youtube highlights. Even though they do sweet fck all the whole game/ or are a straight up liability, but they are labelled 'ballers' on twitter

EireRed_GS

Personally, I would have Rashford / Garnacho as the 2 starting wide players, with Amad & Mount as the next 2 to come on in those positions

(I know Mount isnt really a wide player, but he has the footballing brain and quick feet to do well transitioning with Bruno between wide & Central areas,)

Antony would be no more than an emergency place on the bench

ArbeitervonWien

these days lads that can do a couple flicks, spins and feints get held up high by internet fans who only watch youtube highlights. Even though they do sweet fck all the whole game/ or are a straight up liability, but they are labelled 'ballers' on twitter
Is this really a modern day football thing? Haven't there always been footballers who looked great with their flicks and tricks but rarely did something productive on the pitch?

I seriously doubt that those types of players are more common in the modern game. It's a often heard claim that nowadays there is no place for the jogo bonito because modern football requires perfectly trained machines who strictly follow the gameplan.

EireRed_GS

Is this really a modern day football thing? Haven't there always been footballers who looked great with their flicks and tricks but rarely did something productive on the pitch?

I seriously doubt that those types of players are more common in the modern game. It's a often heard claim that nowadays there is no place for the jogo bonito because modern football requires perfectly trained machines who strictly follow the gameplan.
It is though, as back in the day (lets say 80s -00s) there were players who had plenty tricks in their bag, but if their overall game was poor to mediocre, they were simply rated as so.

These days because its so easy to create highlight clips of a couple seconds of multiple games, online people are led to believe this what the player's overall game is.

I suppose this applies to also making players look bad. thats easy done too.

Although with Antony, it would be pretty easy to find clips to back that up.

The whole Joga Bonito thing, that was more a celebration of players who could do both, entertain the fans while also putting in solid performances. Stemming from the early 00s brazil team

eire-red

That was a terrible cameo from him last night. Gave away the ball for both Wolves goals and didn't really offer anything in an attacking capacity.

Another one to add to the list of terrible signings.

soapythecat

It’s part of the modern game. Do something that is sellable and unique to game creators and they generate a lot of self revenue. Sad state of affairs but shite we could do without at club level. Wouldn’t really be a conversation if he was a half decent player. Bloke looks like a count too

ArbeitervonWien

It is though, as back in the day (lets say 80s -00s) there were players who had plenty tricks in their bag, but if their overall game was poor to mediocre, they were simply rated as so.

These days because its so easy to create highlight clips of a couple seconds of multiple games, online people are led to believe this what the player's overall game is.

I suppose this applies to also making players look bad. thats easy done too.

Although with Antony, it would be pretty easy to find clips to back that up.

The whole Joga Bonito thing, that was more a celebration of players who could do both, entertain the fans while also putting in solid performances. Stemming from the early 00s brazil team
You may be right, that people are easily led to overestimate players because of highlight-reels.

But still, I don't think you can label Antony as a product of modern day youtube football. The reason he got his super expansive transfer to a big club was his former manager badly wanting him to join us and not an internet hype.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I like to give players at least a season and a bit but yeah, I do not see it. I saw very faint glimmers last season but this season he's been atrocious.

Need to take the hit and sell this summer imo.

EireRed_GS

You may be right, that people are easily led to overestimate players because of highlight-reels.

But still, I don't think you can label Antony as a product of modern day youtube football. The reason he got his super expansive transfer to a big club was his former manager badly wanting him to join us and not an internet hype.
yeah your right there, I put that on ten Hag, We might of needed someone extra at RW, but Ten Hag should have known what he was capable of. By all accounts he wasnt even all that in the dutch league :houllier:

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
I've rewatched Mainoo's goal a few times this morning and Antony looks totally disinterested. Probably pi55ed that Mainoo didn't play him in as he was in space. Smacks of Ronaldo's 'all about me' attitude when someone else got the glory.
I think it was because his cameo was so awful that he knew no winning goal would cover it up.

When a player has a below average game they can fall under the radar when a last min winner/wonder goal happens because it distracts the attention. But he was so awful that even Mainoo couldn't save him.

I also think it's quite natural to be a bit miserable when you're having a shit game and not feel the euphoria of a winning goal. Unless he's like that in other games then I wouldn't look into it too much.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

He was never considered in that categories of great talent, baller etc. His market value was around 30m on Transfermarkt when we bought him, and also there really wasn't a line of clubs fighting to get him in.

United fans tend to think he was highly rated because of the high price. He wasn't. His youtube clips are not really that impressive.
The only reason he's here is because of Ten Hag. In a way a feel for him, he is simply not equipped to carry the task of playing here, but it's not his fault.

Red Royal

He was never considered in that categories of great talent, baller etc. His market value was around 30m on Transfermarkt when we bought him, and also there really wasn't a line of clubs fighting to get him in.

United fans tend to think he was highly rated because of the high price. He wasn't. His youtube clips are not really that impressive.
The only reason he's here is because of Ten Hag. In a way a feel for him, he is simply not equipped to carry the task of playing here, but it's not his fault.
Must have been hard for Ajax to hide their shock and joy when our offer for him came in.

Dannn411

Difficult to find a less likeable player in the squad for me. Awful footballer, favourite of a bad coach and consistently petulant on the pitch with his behaviour.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I think it was because his cameo was so awful that he knew no winning goal would cover it up.

When a player has a below average game they can fall under the radar when a last min winner/wonder goal happens because it distracts the attention. But he was so awful that even Mainoo couldn't save him.

I also think it's quite natural to be a bit miserable when you're having a shit game and not feel the euphoria of a winning goal. Unless he's like that in other games then I wouldn't look into it too much.
I'm really not a fan of Antony's personality or ability and really hope he is sold in the summer but I agree this is almost certainly all it is.

Superden

Worst cameo I've ever seen from a man utd player. Hopeless on and off the ball.

Ghirahim

Shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. He's terrible. United are playing with 10 men when he starts.

aeh1991

for 80m you could have bought approximately 80 RWs of his quality.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I like to give players at least a season and a bit but yeah, I do not see it. I saw very faint glimmers last season but this season he's been atrocious.

Need to take the hit and sell this summer imo.
Yeah, last season he did decent enough job especially by keeping possession and carrying the ball, this season is just shit.

I don't see what he brings to the team that Amad can't, imo EtH is really messing up his selection by playing Antony ahead of Amad.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Correct. The Hazard transfer didn't work but no one can fault Madrid for trying it at the time. Which is how I view us buying Sancho as well, sure he wasn't good here but I'm not going to criticize the decision to bring in what was the best teenage winger in the world with otherworldly production already.

But Antony.... he had meh stats in a far worse league than Sancho and clear deficiencies in his game both physically and technically that were clear even when you watched "highlights" of him. Sackable offense paying anywhere north of 30 m for him much less triple