Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatattack

If we do get Antony and Gakpo in, that will give us a nice pool of fluid, athletic forwards. Has to be the fastest in the league. I prefer this fluid approach than having a typical no.9 striker like Ronaldo.

Martial
Sancho
Rashford
Antony
Gakpo
Elanga

That’s a tasty pool to choose from. Expecting Ronaldo to be gone. If ETH can get the best out of Sancho and Rashford, that’s the potential to be one of the best front lines.
I think Ivan Toney would have really helped in this mix.

Chief123

I think Ivan Toney would have really helped in this mix.
I don’t think we’d be willing to pay the fee Brentford would ask for if we want Antony and Gakpo.

I honestly think ETH is going to go with a fluid front 3 approach with players able to play in multiple positions. Similar to how we did under ole in the “good” season.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Any idea why he was sold for so little? I mean was he declining in his development or purely Antony coming? 15m seems like a great deal for someone who was very highly rated and still very young.
He had lost his place to Antony, lost form and had been suffering with injuries, contract was running out. He needed a new environment and his stock was low, so Ajax was also willing to let him have his succes elsewhere.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
if we've got €100m to spunk up the wall. Why aren't we dropping it on Bellingham?
Dortmund have made it clear that they are not interested in selling this summer and I am guessing 100m or thereabout is what they'd be looking for next summer anyway. So you'd need to try and tempt them with much more than that and Bellingham isn't worth that (yet), IMO. Neither is Antony i suppose. Crazy transfer market.

Skills

Snitch
This is still crazy to me. We got Sancho for 70 odd million and he was a much higher rated talent. Luis Diaz also went for circa £50m and Kulusevski for 45m too. The latter two were also in January where you have the same on-going season premium.

I just don't understand this at all

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
This is still crazy to me. We got Sancho for 70 odd million and he was a much higher rated talent. Luis Diaz also went for circa £50m and Kulusevski for 45m too. The latter two were also in January where you have the same on-going season premium.

How much did Dortmund quote for Sancho the first summer? And remember the pandemic that was going about during the time we signed Sancho? Were clubs were needing more funds?

I am backing Antony to compete with Diaz and Kulusevski anyway. Don't think he's worse than them but time will tell that.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Any idea why he was sold for so little? I mean was he declining in his development or purely Antony coming? 15m seems like a great deal for someone who was very highly rated and still very young.
He had a long term injury and after his return really struggled to get back to peak form. By that point Antony had overtaken him in the starting XI and there was no way he was going to start ahead of Tadic (221 matches, 92 goals, 88 assists) either.

A change of scenery was the best option for everyone involved.

Amad is not an option for Ajax, we need an immediate starter. We've got plenty of talents with question marks behind their names already of our own.

Smores

We're desperate there's nothing more to it. We can only watch and hope he turns out to be worth the money but the chances are he won't as he would need to be world class or close.

talking robot

we’re overpaying because we aren’t capable of anticipating and getting our business done early.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Hamsterlaar? a distant rodent relative of Hunterlaar?
Ajax has two DOF, Gerry Hamstra and Klaas Jan Huntelaar. This is a play on words.

He's been right several times before this summer regarding Ajax transfers.

Skills

Snitch
we’re overpaying because we aren’t capable of anticipating and getting our business done early.
Then just wait and get him or someone else next summer?

Sometimes I don't know why the club spends so much on the youth system, when it has close to zero belief in the players its producing. In this kind of situation, it's worth rolling the dice with the young players you've got. And we've got 3 of them in Garnacho, Diallo and Pellistri.

I'd love it if we got a transfer ban one summer similar to Chelsea in 2019, so we actually force the decision makers to start using what the club is producing.

Rinnegan240

We make attackers prove their prowess by striking before they get a move.

Pretty much remember Sancho doing something similar :drool:

Enigma_87

You know who
He had a long term injury and after his return really struggled to get back to peak form. By that point Antony had overtaken him in the starting XI and there was no way he was going to start ahead of Tadic (221 matches, 92 goals, 88 assists) either.

A change of scenery was the best option for everyone involved.

Amad is not an option for Ajax, we need an immediate starter. We've got plenty of talents with question marks behind their names already of our own.
He had lost his place to Antony, lost form and had been suffering with injuries, contract was running out. He needed a new environment and his stock was low, so Ajax was also willing to let him have his succes elsewhere.
Cheers. Ziyech seems like a great deal in terms of replacement and plenty of cash to find the next big talent.

mav_9me

If we do get Antony and Gakpo in, that will give us a nice pool of fluid, athletic forwards. Has to be the fastest in the league. I prefer this fluid approach than having a typical no.9 striker like Ronaldo.

Martial
Sancho
Rashford
Antony
Gakpo
Elanga

That’s a tasty pool to choose from. Expecting Ronaldo to be gone. If ETH can get the best out of Sancho and Rashford, that’s the potential to be one of the best front lines.
Agreed. That's why I was hoping we'd go for Isak or Rafael Leao. Maybe Gakpo is similar

dubplate warrior

Lots of people complaining about the price, but the market is completely out of its mind at the moment. Anthony Gordon for £60m, Isak for €70m. I get the striker market is terrible at the moment and that we left it late but I can't quite believe how inflated the prices have become. The Glazers are going to have to continually invest big money to keep top 4, and at the least even stay relevant. We definitely need to get better at selling youth products and players who are surplus to requirements.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Cheers. Ziyech seems like a great deal in terms of replacement and plenty of cash to find the next big talent.
Yeah, just speaks of Ajax' ambition. They could easily just replace him with Berghuis, but they aim for higher.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Will be very surprised if we don't receive news of a new bid today. Seems like everyone from Antony to Ajax to Ziyech / Chelsea is just waiting on it now.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

That's because it's a nonsensical move that we're only doing to satisfy the manager. Once you accept that there's nothing else to stress on, everyone involved knows the price is outrageous...we're just desperate and late as always.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Many injuries and lack of form post2019 season. That summer he could’ve left to Atleti for 40-50m if I remember correctly, but it was either declined or Atleti pulled out.

Antony is a more certain future prospect, but imo Neres is more ‘special’ in the sense of being a more unique player. His eye and sense of timing have been magnificent at times, that I’d feel he would be better as an RM or AM rather than as a winger. Though he seems to have hit the ground running at Benfica which really makes me happy, because I was afraid he’d be a lost cause after all his injuries and possible confidence problems. He is just so likable. Hope he keeps this trajectory up :)

But to stick to the Neres-Antony comparison, me preferring Neres is similar to preferring Ganso to Neymar in 2010. Ganso might be a more unique (style) player, but I think it’s clear now why Neymar had the better career. Though he had a few lovely games at Sevilla! Sadly the few is very literal.

Neres is probably more applicable than Ganso is, with him being a capable winger nonetheless, but it’s probably best to follow him at a distance for now to see if he really won’t be another goose.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
we paid 89 million 5 years ago for a 24 year old Paul Pogba.
To be fair Pogba and Antony don't have quite the same reputations, we're definitely over paying but sometimes it's worth it.

Martinez has made a great impression so far, I have no doubts Antony can do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.