Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Interesting you say that because I’ve heard he is a great at dribbling in tight spaces and has good link up play….
Is it really interesting? He is just being negative so that he can tell us "told you so" in case he doesn't succeed.

If Antony has a poor start, look out for his posts.

Pace is probably his biggest asset, and here he is saying he's not that fast. It's tiring and so easy to see through.

NLunited

I‘m getting sick of the incessant moaning of certain pathetic individuals.

-Darwin Nunez goes to Pool for 100 mill and you moan: Why didn‘t we get him?
-Antony may cost 90+ million and you moan: It‘s too much, we are always overpaying.

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘t want him.
-Antony wants to come here and you moan:
we don‘t want him.

-Frenkie de Jong is a priority target and you moan: he is not a true dm.
-Casemiro, the best dm in the world comes here and you moan: he is not a playmaker.

Should I go on? You Miserable fecking cnuts!?

mav_9me

-Antony may cost 90+ million and you moan: It‘s too much, we are always overpaying.

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘twant him.
we don‘t want him.

-Casemiro, the best dm in the world comes here and you moan: he is not a playmaker.

Well pointed.

I am one of those who thinks we are overpaying but what does it matter as long as he plays well for us.

NLunited

Well pointed.

I am one of those who thinks we are overpaying but what does it matter as long as he plays well for us.
We are paying for potential and he has a zillion years left on his contract.

100 mill pounds for that Aston Villa lad? This guy is better and costs less.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

-Frenkie de Jong wanted to stay at Barça and you moan: he doesn‘t want to come here we don‘t want him.
we don‘t want him.

Yep. Antony is desperate to play for united and obviously has a fantastic relationship with ten hag. He's talented as feck and only 22, very hard worker, is a left footed right winger, competing with raphinha for a starting spot on the Brazil national team...what's not to like. He has all the tools to become a world class winger. So yeah, that's gonna cost a premium. Its more important for me that we just get him as he's the perfect mix for our other attackers potentially, rather than miss out on him.

m1tch

Well pointed.

It can matter to be fair though, look at the likes of Maguire and Pogba. Essentially it might be fine for the rich club to overpay so long as the player is a success. They'll be judged by the fee, that's for sure, fair or not.

croadyman

I'm so sold on this signing, think he is going to be world class. Has aspects of his game he needs to improve, but he just has that 'it' factor that the top players have. That being said, the only thing I'd be worried about with his signing is the lack of goals. He's more of a creator and a ball carrier at the moment than a pure scorer. Sancho on the other side would be the same. It would put a lot of pressure on our midfield and forward to score goals by not having a scorer first out wide. Will be interesting to see how ETH manages that.
Yeah which makes me feel a prolific number 9 has to be a top priority next summer, however quality options look a bit limited in this area

Widow

we don‘t want him.

:nervous:

marcus agrippa

we don‘t want him.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've made peace with the fact that you can't win here. It's always something with some folks. Those Barca Forum guys had a point about this place.

dazjoe

80M+ for Antony is obviously a very high price, but at the end of the day it's not outrageous.
50M for AWB. 85M for Maguire. 120M (?) for Dembele. 60M for Cucurella. The list is endless, money involved is mad now. Yes we could look for a much cheaper alternative but why should we? Ten Hag has singled him out as the player he wants. We need to back the manager, and anything that gets more money spent on the team rather than in the owners/shareholders pockets is fine by me.

marktan

As Malacia just did to Salah, it seems like you don't really have an idea what you're talking about.
Does he have acceleration like Mane or Ousmane Dembele?

Do you not think he'll struggle against stronger, faster defenders?

Do you not think he'll struggle against low blocks?

What part of those 3 points in my post is me having no idea what I'm talking about?

That's without me even getting into his goals and assists, the majority of which last season where him cutting in and shooting against poor defenders or cutting in and getting a cross in. It seems like people buy into the 'ideal' of what a player is vs what he actually is.

croadyman

What part of those 3 points in my post is me having no idea what I'm talking about?

That's without me even getting into his goals and assists, the majority of which last season where him cutting in and shooting against poor defenders or cutting in and getting a cross in. It seems like people buy into the 'ideal' of what a player is vs what he actually is.
You might have some valid points but at least give him that opportunity to prove you wrong

Muppetry_man

Reading in the Twitter Tranfers topic ... Germany

we don‘t want him.

I think you should, it's pretty accurate representation of this summer!

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

You were talking about Malacia shutting him down as if that proves anything, it doesnt. Which he showed you on Monday.

Dembele is one of the fastest players I can think of, does Antony have Mane's burst of pace/acceleration, I'd say comparable. Mane is much stronger, more physical though and can easier hold defenders of him.

Antony works against low blocks or counter, because he can quickly change pace, he often literally whips balls over players and just dashes past them (which likely wont work in the PL but shows of his pace), he has great dribbling, ball control, a lot of skills/trickery in his locker, he can cross and shoot from near stand still and has a good eye for a pass.

He plays against low block far more than United does, so I really don't get your point. It doesnt make sense.

Will he struggle against faster, stronger players, yeah possibly. However no reason to make stuff up or write him or his attributes off based on silly things.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Goals and assists in his first full season in the league. Two seasons ago.

Goals and assists all comps last season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Jesus the miserable feckers in here.

We are signing an exciting young Brazilian winger in his early twenties. Is it your money? Can you control how our cash is spent? No and it has been a miserable stretch as a Utd fan so just look forward to an exciting player that will give us some moments of joy when watching.
This is the way of the Caf nowadays.

Enigma_87

You know who
Many injuries and lack of form post2019 season. That summer he could’ve left to Atleti for 40-50m if I remember correctly, but it was either declined or Atleti pulled out.

Antony is a more certain future prospect, but imo Neres is more ‘special’ in the sense of being a more unique player. His eye and sense of timing have been magnificent at times, that I’d feel he would be better as an RM or AM rather than as a winger. Though he seems to have hit the ground running at Benfica which really makes me happy, because I was afraid he’d be a lost cause after all his injuries and possible confidence problems. He is just so likable. Hope he keeps this trajectory up :)

But to stick to the Neres-Antony comparison, me preferring Neres is similar to preferring Ganso to Neymar in 2010. Ganso might be a more unique (style) player, but I think it’s clear now why Neymar had the better career. Though he had a few lovely games at Sevilla! Sadly the few is very literal.

Neres is probably more applicable than Ganso is, with him being a capable winger nonetheless, but it’s probably best to follow him at a distance for now to see if he really won’t be another goose.
Cheers for the input. I do hope Neres comes good as he was great player to watch at Ajax couple of years ago. Lost track of him ever since. Benfica is a nice place to be and he will enjoy some CL football too.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Spend all the money now. Sir Jim will buy the club anyway.
I think that's the point. The Glazers aren't penny pinching this window because it's their last roll of the dice -- spend as much to make sure we have a decent season and then sell to Ratcliffe within 18 months.

Newtonius

If they pay this we're smashing our highest ever spend in a transfer window, bet they are using next windows funds aswell wouldn't surprise me if we have another Donny/Cavani/Telles next year in spite of needing a RB, #9, GK, and another midfielder.

And you know why they are doing this too these fecking snakes, the threat of a potential buyer of the club coinciding with fan protests and a poor start.

Edit:

we don‘t want him.

Are overpaying though this is a fact he could have been bought 2 months ago for 20 million euros less, they were holding out for FDJ although yeah the money may not have been available then.

Last edited:

SinNombre

At Ajax, Antony is faced with a medium-to-low block and almost always slows to a stand-still after racing onto the ball. Sending him down the line often results in him turning back and Ajax resetting their attack. To combat this, he has developed a sharp drop of the shoulder which, combined with his explosiveness and close control, makes him difficult to stop from going inside.

He is the right profile especially with Greenwood suspended/gone.

Where would Ajax fans rate him amongst all the 21 year old attackers they have had since Suarez?

r1z3mu

Positives:
  • Very good and promising young player.
  • Looks like has passion and drive (unlike some MU players).
Negatives:
  • Probably overpriced by 10-20% - but what do I know.
  • Do we have guarantee that he will excel in PL? No.

Boondog

If this gets done we are going to be a lot better in the quality of our starting front. The young forwards already might be very difficult to stop this season with this manager getting them back on track (assuming they continue to improve under his coaching), but Antony is a straight upgrade and dangerous threat teams will be very concerned with.

Honestly just with him and a solid keeper addition this team might make a lot of noise. Not necessarily win anything, but they'll be a hard team to play who punishes opponents. Only real problem from there is midfield depth, where Ericksen is a similar player to Bruno and brought in to challenge him but will be needed to play more than they expected. Not the worst problem because Case will be holding it down defensively (at least Ericksen doesn't have to play 6), but the way the roster is shaping it looks like they will be very dependent on Ericksen.

He's a pro so he'll produce but will he be able to handle the load. Worried about that a bit.

Giggsy13

we don‘t want him.

100% agree. A minority on here don’t deserve nice things. We’re signing Antony, be fecking happy. We signed fecking Casemiro, ffs and idiots on here moaning.

NLunited

If they pay this we're smashing our highest ever spend in a transfer window, bet they are using next windows funds aswell wouldn't surprise me if we have another Donny/Cavani/Telles next year in spite of needing a RB, #9, GK, and another midfielder.

And you know why they are doing this too these fecking snakes, the threat of a potential buyer of the club coinciding with fan protests and a poor start.

Edit:

Are overpaying though this is a fact he could have been bought 2 months ago for 20 million euros less, they were holding out for FDJ although yeah the money may not have been available then.
Ajax did not want to sell him, is what I remember. Since then, Antony has gotten vocal about wanting to move.

Gasolin

So what shirt number is he getting then? No.11?

Because that guys not coming back. That guy is definitely not getting registered for this season so I say that shirt is technically vacant.
I don't know, we don't hear much about him. What's the latest?

Status
Not open for further replies.