Antony - Official Manchester United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unam333

Give him the no. 11 shirt.

Quite happy we added an attacker to the team. We're quite lightweight compared to the other top teams.

AndySmith1990

I'd imagine we're just wary of making any sort of headlines regarding him.
What sort of headlines would it create? There's only so much journalists can say without legal implications. feck 'em. Numbers can be taken off players without needing any justification from the club

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imagine we gave him the No 11 shirt. Tomorrow's back pages would be full of Greenwood stories.

Member 125288

it would give the impression that the club does not expect him to return, which would be quite prejudicial to his case considering the media know absolutely nothing about it beyond the current evidence and allegations.

Whether you think he is guilty or not, he is innocent in the eyes of the law until proven otherwise. It’s absolutely right for the club to not take any action that would illicit media interest.

What sort of headlines would it create? There's only so much journalists can say without legal implications. feck 'em. Numbers can be taken off players without needing any justification from the club

atkar83

Officially he still has number 11. If they were to take it off. Like MF11 above says if it’s removed it will create headlines and unnecessary questions around that scumbag.

11 Seems fecking cursed anyway. I’d retire that number if I were Man Utd. Both who have had it have turned out to be horrible horrible people.
Januzaj may be a horrible person but not a horrible horrible person

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Officially he still has number 11. If they were to take it off. Like MF11 above says if it’s removed it will create headlines and unnecessary questions around that scumbag.

11 Seems fecking cursed anyway. I’d retire that number if I were Man Utd. Both who have had it have turned out to be horrible horrible people.
Why would Greenwood be officially in any number? Its not a debenture. It’s a new season, we can change peoples numbers as much as we like… unless we’ve actively registered him for the season, which would be weird

Im not even sure it’d make that many headlines. It’s pretty obvious he’s not coming back any time soon, and if by someone miracle he does he can be given a different number, like loads of players are… if anything it seems like more of an issue to avoid giving anyone else it… ‘because of the implication’

Last edited:

edcunited1878

The number 11 is vacant. No United player is registered in the PL or in Europe with the number 11. Could careless what his number is.

DevilRed

Everything about him feels right. His desire to want to play for us is in stark contrast to FDJ.

He might be expensive, but we've signed the right calibre of player.

This guy will bleed for us.

But after the club’s torturous failed courtship of Frenkie de Jong – Ten Hag’s priority midfield target who never wanted to leave Barcelona – United fans have been left enthused by Antony’s fierce determination to join.

“I’ve been dreaming about this, I’ve been losing sleep thinking about it,” he said. “My head and heart were here. Erik knows, everyone at Manchester United knows about my desire to be here and wear the United shirt.

“My mum was calling me every day, my dad was messaging me, my sister as well – ‘What’s happening? Has it worked out? Anything wrong’. They seemed more anxious than I was! When I told them the news they cried a lot.

“I come from a very humble family so whenever we achieve anything we thank God and remember everything we’ve been through to get here. Only me and my family know what we went through, the dangers we faced as well.”

Antony offered a glimpse of his tough upbringing in a crime-ridden favela in an industrial suburb of Sao Paulo. “I went through a lot of difficult moments in my life,” he said. “I know that this will be another challenge. I went through a lot in the past – no football boots, nothing to eat, three or four in the morning bailing water out of my house as it had flooded. They were very difficult times but I went through it all with a smile. Those moments have contributed to everything I’m now experiencing.”

Antony has promised United fans “a lot of desire, dedication and fight” and that he will play “fire in my belly and full of heart” and said his main strengths were his technique, dribbling and creativity. He also lauded Ten Hag. “We developed this mutual trust and closeness [at Ajax],” he said.

Trophy Room

PLEASE DON'T POST ABOUT GREENWOOD. We've said this over and over again now.
I don’t think you are going to get anywhere with that strategy. It’s fair game - he’s still a United player and hasn’t been convicted yet. It’s only natural to discuss his availability in this context.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I don’t think you are going to get anywhere with that strategy. It’s fair game - he’s still a United player and hasn’t been convicted yet. It’s only natural to discuss his availability in this context.
People inevitably go too far with the comments, I'm afraid and stray into wider discussion. We're deleting posts all the time.

Posters need to help us out here. Everyone knows what the situation is, it doesn't need to be brought up over and over again.

dutchred

I hope he builds a good relationship with Dalot. Antony works hard and whenever Mazaroui went on his forward runs Antony covered. He also defended when he needed to and was a great outlet when we needed to get the ball quickly from defence to attack.
I hope fans give him a fighting chance as he can sometimes be frustrating, but his brilliance will win us many games

lex talionis

Time will of course tell all, but regardless of what number Antony gets I’m pretty confident he’s going to be a sensation for us.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Time will of course tell all, but regardless of what number Antony gets I’m pretty confident he’s going to be a sensation for us.
I have a feeling teams will fear Sancho and Antony like Robben and Ribery were feared in a few years time.

madi5h

dont think theres any hope of him starting v arsenal, hes been on strike from training to force the move to us and rightly dropped from a couple of games because of it

casemiro should be in better shape and still hasnt started, same with ronaldo as he didnt have a pre-season (only reason imo besides all the ten-hag not wanting him too rumours that are flying) so i cant see ten hag making a hypocrite of himself and starting anthony. hopefully a 20 minute cameo from him if anything

pascell

The only reason why I feel he won't start is the reason why he's here, he didn't train the past 2 weeks with Ajax. Plus Elanga will help track back with Tierney or Zinchenko.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Way too much Ajax love in this thread. It's pathetic. Their PR game works too well internationally. Most hated team in the Netherlands.

Anyway I'm happy with the signing. Antony has everything in his locker to be a great. He's a nutcase though.

Chief123

He needs a big moment early on to really silence people. I remember back when we signed Martial, his goal against the scousers gave him heaps of breathing room.
Against Arsenal on Sunday it is then. Drop a shoulder and send tierney to the shops. Cut inside, rifle a curler into the top bins past a despairing Ramsdale dive. Kiss the badge then take his shirt off.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
This guy is going to be a joy to watch, truly. Can see him riling up pundits and fans of oppo teams with his showboating and rolling around the floor similar to Neymar. :lol:

I really think he's going to light up the PL and end up the player United fans were hoping Sancho would be. Will certainly be tuning in to United games more often now.

JeffFromHK

The important thing about Antony's signing is that we have not had a through-and-though-winger-with flair since the old Nani/Giggs/Ronaldo days.
Rashford, Ronaldo, Martial are not a real winger
Sancho has some No. 10 in him
Elanga is a squad player with little flair, he is not a typical wing either.

Young/Valencia were not "flair" players; and Depay, Januzaj, etc were not typical wingers

we need a "through-and-though-winger-with flair" to unluck some defences.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Just gonna say it, those samba tricks simply will not work in the Premier League.
Yep and Haaland will struggle to score goals for fun without those acres of space that he gets playing against oafs in the Bundesliga. The PL is just so physical and competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.