Antony: why the concern - use the player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolarra90

And that's spot on, players, not just Antony, are judged individually rather than how they work as part of the team, our RB's have improved substantially this season and IMO that is partly due to Antony, he is one of the best ball carriers in the team, if it wasn't for the fact he's so one footed I'd say there was case to be made that he'd be a good option to play the role that we apparently want De Jong to do.

There's another thread asking the question do United fans tryst ETH, the answer is of course an overwhelming yes, Antony is an ETH signing so maybe we should lay off and bow to his superior knowledge for the time being
Those are the people that don't understand the sport and got carried away with the view journalism created for football.

Those who care about ballon d'or, golden boots, Messi or Ronaldo. Those who think there's a "GOAT" in football when there are over 15 posible positions to play.

Chief123

Would absolutely love him to stick a cut-inside curler into the top bins at the kop end and then in the 94th minute do a 360 spin right in front of Klopp.

Chief123

I thought ETH made an interesting comment the other day: "the players who make up the best team will play". He seemed to be saying that it's not always the most talented (or even in-form) players that will play, but the ones who can work together best - ie. becoming something more than the sum of their parts. He is seeing the bigger picture (as we would expect him to I guess), whereas some posters seem to be looking at Anthony in isolation.
It’s also the reason Weghorst has played nearly every game since he’s arrived. Yes we are limited in options but that’s not the sole reason. He’s not regarded as a high quality player but he brings high quality values to our team which allows the players that do have high quality talent to excel.

lsd

The Oracle
Would absolutely love him to stick a cut-inside curler into the top bins at the kop end and then in the 94th minute do a 360 spin right in front of Klopp.

I would love him to not cut inside and slam a right foot screamer into the top corner.

Imagine what a prospect he would be then.

mu4c_20le

The biggest concern is how he goes out of his way to avoid using his right foot.

PoTMS

He's not very good, is he? He should be playing for Shakhtar Donetsk rather than Manchester United.

ForeverRed1

His biggest issue is his inability to use his right foot. On the right wing you got to be able to whip balls into the box. He has been good though, he’s dangerous. Got to improve on his right foot and end product.

lsd

The Oracle
I think we have every reason to be concerned. When you are as predictable as he is then you need a lot more quality than he has shown so far.

Its not enough to just try hard which he does but quality wise in really not seeing it.

He offers so little to the team around him attacking wise. You could die waiting on a decent cross or pass from him

Today is a perfect example he needs to be hooked at half time and Garnacho or Sancho put on.

LARulz

The biggest concern is how he goes out of his way to avoid using his right foot.
This will forever piss me off until he fixes it. His dribbling is done with his left too, it's like he just refuses to acknowledge his right foot can touch the ball. It slows down every attack and makes him so easy to defend

His final ball is poor as well most times, at least have a consistent good final ball if you want to be so one footed and weirdly not as quick as you seem

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I think he was our most dangerous player. Poor final ball so far though.

Malone_Post

Offers virtually no attacking threat whatsoever. It’s not difficult to see why he has no assists all season. Unless he scores one of his occasional worldies he’s redundant. Just doesn’t have the talent needed.

cyberman

One of the best players on the pitch. Nobody bar our FBs crosses a ball for deck sake

Verward

Antony needs to stop showboating or at least understand when to do it.
There was a moment when he had a ball and Rashford was wide open with Liverpool defense in disarray but instead of quickly releasing the ball, he decided to show his dribbling skills and wasted opportunity,
It was so infuriating.

Oranges038

The polar opposite of Tony V.

He's played well. But really needs to be able to go down the outside on the right. Way too predictable.

mu4c_20le

The polar opposite of Tony V.

He's played well. But really needs to be able to go down the outside on the right. Way too predictable.
Yeah he gets himself into good positions, but would rather hit an outside foot pass than use his right peg. Sometimes he hesitates and it messes up the play.

Malone_Post

Been good today
He really hasn’t. He’s had plenty of the ball and done absolutely nothing with it. Doesn’t even look like doing anything with it. He could have the freedom of Merseyside and he’d find a way to cross it straight into the first man.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Lack of variety in his play is his biggest problem and I'm not talking about using the right foot because that's the least of the problems. His crossing and shooting aren't that great. Crossing isn't accurate and shooting lacks variety

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He really hasn’t. He’s had plenty of the ball and done absolutely nothing with it. Doesn’t even look like doing anything with it. He could have the freedom of Merseyside and he’d find a way to cross it straight into the first man.
He had our best effort on goal. He retained the ball better than Bruno or Rashford

Idxomer

He has been fine but that's the problem with him, it's never more than that.

OdinsEye

I think people need to look at what the other players are doing when Antony is holding up the ball. My bet is Antony is doing exactly what ETH wants, sure his final ball needs some work but he brings so much more to the team than without.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This thread is basically a poor exucse for a player performances thread where people can vent during the game

lsd

The Oracle
Ah well to late now may as well leave him on to deliver absolutely nothing as usual.

His performances and refusal of using the right foot is shocking like his hairline.

BarryWinks

He's not very good, is he? He should be playing for Shakhtar Donetsk rather than Manchester United.
Yes, he is the type we used to see at the likes of Shakhtar (and the Portugese giants). Good players, with sometimes great games, but ultimately never good enough to crack in the big leagues. Antony himself replaced Neres at Ajax, who ended up at Shakhtar before the war broke out.

dove

By his standards, which are admittedly so low that sometimes I think he is much more suited for a street football, I thought he has done okay today.

Status
Not open for further replies.