Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Its like Mr. Robot meets Dexter. Im on ep 5 right now. Very bingeable show
Yeah good show. Just finished it though. Tried Haunting at the hill house or whatever but thought the first episode was meh.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I see that there will be a series based on 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin in 2019. I have mixed feelings about this, the books are IMO the best post-apocalyptic stuff ever written, even better than 'The Stand', but I think it will be hard to transfer to the screen without disappointment.

Also I just noticed that it is on FOX. This means that they will cancel it by default after one season, especially if it is good.
Just started reading it due to your post, it does remind me a lot of the stand or king novels in general, especially the character names.
Initial reviews are out, as expected.

If, however, you prefer your vampires feral, vicious and completely uninterested in wooing impressionable female academics, Fox has you somewhat covered with its adaptation of The Passage.

The problem is that if The Passage offered your flavor of revisionist vampire lore, you probably read Justin Cronin's epic tome and perhaps even its pair of doorstop sequels and you may understand something that producer Matt Reeves probably realized after trying to develop it as a movie and that Fox probably realized after multiple attempts at developing it for TV: The Passage is completely and totally unadaptable.
You liking the books, @AkaAkuma ?

Loublaze

ATLien
Yeah good show. Just finished it though. Tried Haunting at the hill house or whatever but thought the first episode was meh.
I just completed season one of 'You' last night. It delivered. The Haunting of Hill House was good, a bit overrated but good.

SwansonsTache

"You" looks good, downloading as we speak.

Agreed on "The Haunting of Hill House". It is good, altough not the #1 horror series some are rating it as. For me Exorcist season one is comfortably better.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Odd question: Should I start Games of Thrones? :blind:

With all the hype around the final season this year, I am now thinking to jump on the bandwagon at the last minute. Somehow the hype had put me off before, thinking it cannot possibly be that good and is only hyped because of the production value, violence and sex. I did the same think with Breaking Bad until watching it last year, and now I regret that I only watched when everyone else had long moved on. It was indeed quite good. Does GoT have good storylines and character development in addition to the violence and sex? It has become such a staple of pop culture that there must be something to it. But it seems like a mountain to climb, given that there are 7 seasons.

For reference some shows that I watch or have watched and liked (in no particular order): The Wire (this is by far number one, though!), The Sopranos, Dexter (until season 6), Lost (f*ck you season 6!), House of Cards (skipped the final season), Breaking Bad, Orange is the new Black, The Man in the High Castle, Narcos.
Seasons 1-4 are epic television, replete with enough political intrigue to entertain aside from the sex and violence. Lately I’m just waiting for the next huge budget battle, but prior to it was a great story.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Tin Star, just started it, the first 30 mins of EP 1 was difficult to watch, but it has potential
Just finished watching Tin Star, thought it was very good, enjoyed every episode. Excellent cast, great setting, binge-worthy.

Art Vandelay

With all the hype around the final season this year, I am now thinking to jump on the bandwagon at the last minute. Somehow the hype had put me off before, thinking it cannot possibly be that good and is only hyped because of the production value, violence and sex. I did the same think with Breaking Bad until watching it last year, and now I regret that I only watched when everyone else had long moved on. It was indeed quite good. Does GoT have good storylines and character development in addition to the violence and sex? It has become such a staple of pop culture that there must be something to it. But it seems like a mountain to climb, given that there are 7 seasons.

For reference some shows that I watch or have watched and liked (in no particular order): The Wire (this is by far number one, though!), The Sopranos, Dexter (until season 6), Lost (f*ck you season 6!), House of Cards (skipped the final season), Breaking Bad, Orange is the new Black, The Man in the High Castle, Narcos.
The first 4 seasons are a great character driven fantasy show full of intriguing characters, political intrigue, plot twists and mysteries galore. Everything after that is half assed nonsense with a splattering of tits and dragons. It does have good storylines, but after season 4 it's just people doing random things to move the plot forward. No matter how little sense they make.

The acting ranges from fantastic to distractingly shit. You're better off reading the books to be honest, they are much, much better.

Initial reviews are out, as expected.

You liking the books, @AkaAkuma ?
I read the first book. Parts of it were great, parts of it were a bit cack. I actually didn't read the last 4% or so according to my kindle as I felt I'd gotten all the enjoyment I was going to get from it. It gets a bit too religious.

peridigm

Just finished watching Tin Star, thought it was very good, enjoyed every episode. Excellent cast, great setting, binge-worthy.
Was a good show. Enjoyed it.

Edit: almost forgot to post about the show I came in here to post about. S1 of The Sinner was worth the watch.

SwansonsTache

"You" looks good, downloading as we speak.

Agreed on "The Haunting of Hill House". It is good, altough not the #1 horror series some are rating it as. For me Exorcist season one is comfortably better.
"You" is really good so far, I've seen 3 eps.

Also love how they do a pisstake on all stereotypes. "Artisanal soda" ffs, fecking douche.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
"You" is pure trash TV but pretty enjoyable - good to watch with the missus

"Sex Education" is pretty surprisingly great. Hilarious and quite real at times, and the actors are all really good. Asa Butterfield is hilarious as the lead.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Any recommendations for "Into the Badlands"? I've only just come across it even though it's 3 seasons old. Looks interesting but is any good?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Any recommendations for "Into the Badlands"? I've only just come across it even though it's 3 seasons old. Looks interesting but is any good?
I sort of enjoyed the first season but then never got back into it, if you like martial arts sort of stuff then you'll probably enjoy it

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just watched the first season of Nathan For You. So fecking good :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think 'Nathan' is using the same formula as Sacha Baron Cohen who has been doing this for years and is much funnier imo. I couldn't even get through the first episode of season 1.
Similar but not the same. Cohen does characters and tries shock and play on people's stupidity. This is different and it gets way better after episode 1.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Similar but not the same. Cohen does characters and tries shock and play on people's stupidity. This is different and it gets way better after episode 1.
I suppose its just not my cuppa and I gave up on it very quickly but, meh, thanks anyway.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal

You should. The first few seasons are better than the books, and the next couple are good as well. You’re in luck if you start to watch it - I had similar feelings until season 4 and then could watch them straight through.
It’s been at it’s best when it can improve on the books but it’s great anyway.

And as always I’d recommend the sitcoms Detectorists (maybe the most touching sitcom I’ve ever seen) and Derry Girls.

Has anyone watched the French series Mission? I have it downloaded but I’ve yet to watch it.

SwansonsTache

I was just surfing some torrents and I noticed that Supernatural are on the 14th season.

I used to watch that stuff religiously up until season 8 or so. How they managed to get 14 seasons out of it is amazing.

Djemba-Djemba

Nathan for you is incredible. The very first section with the poo ice cream is a really bad choice to start the show though, it really doesn't reflect how good the show goes on to be. I wonder how many potential fans of it were lost because of them opening with that idea.

Just watched the netflix documentay Fyre about the fyre festival. Absolutely fascinating.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone watching Trigger Warning with Killer Mike, on Netflix?

Done by Killer Mike of Run the Jewels.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Nathan for you is incredible. The very first section with the poo ice cream is a really bad choice to start the show though, it really doesn't reflect how good the show goes on to be. I wonder how many potential fans of it were lost because of them opening with that idea.

Just watched the netflix documentay Fyre about the fyre festival. Absolutely fascinating.
You've just pinpointed what put me off the show. I believe all you guys who are raving about it but that first episode just felt so contrived to me that I sent the remainder of the season to my recycle bin. My loss probably as its obviously very popular but I don't think I'll go back.

AkaAkuma

Any good recommendations for something to watch with the missus? This is us, looked promising but watching the trailer made it look really generic and bland.

Things like You, 13 reasons why would probably be ok - but I often find them formulaic and often have punchable characters.

I guess the request is for something I can equally tolerate.