Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Swordsman

how many chances episodes do you guys watch before giving up on a tv series ?

For me is 3 episodes. if it doesn't turn good by 3rd episode its probably not worth watching.

Anustart89

For me is 3 episodes. if it doesn't turn good by 3rd episode its probably not worth watching.
Probably two-three episodes if it doesn't come with a recommendation to stick with it like Breaking Bad or Parks and Rec. In that case I'll give it a season or even more.

Dan

Watched the first part of this last night, it’s a documentary about a telemarketing company.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Randomly picked up What we do in the shadows (series, not film) on Disney, and it's hilarious. It reminds me of IT Crowd, and not only because of Matt Berry. The vampire orgy episode had me gasping for air, "Gizmo, get the dildos!..."

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Special Ops: Lioness was a fun watch that would be easily bingeable over two days.

It's a Taylor Sheridan project that isn't one of the 'way back yonder' numerical shows but a plausible scenario of a special operator team in the modern day.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Randomly picked up What we do in the shadows (series, not film) on Disney, and it's hilarious. It reminds me of IT Crowd, and not only because of Matt Berry. The vampire orgy episode had me gasping for air, "Gizmo, get the dildos!..."
It's hilarious. Bit annoyed that the latest season isn't on the BBC and is a Disney+ exclusive, but I've since discovered that Disney are doing an offer until September 20th, £2 per month for 3 months.

Bat!

Real Name

Anyone recommend something I can watch with the missus.

We last watched Who is Erin Carter and that was bad, really bad.

Unfortunately Better call Saul, Peaky Blinders, Band of Brothers and such are a no go. She doesnt want to watch it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Unfortunately Better call Saul, Peaky Blinders, Band of Brothers and such are a no go. She doesnt want to watch it.
What does she typically enjoy?

Real Name

What does she typically enjoy?
She really liked Ozark for example.
She doesnt enjoy shows with a lot of violence and blood and if there are too many carachters. :D
Although then again Ozark isnt shy of violence and she loved Breaking bad...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
She really liked Ozark for example.
She doesnt enjoy shows with a lot of violence and blood and if there are too many carachters
. :D
Although then again Ozark isnt shy of violence and she loved Breaking bad...
Yeah I was gonna say, pick one cause those two contradict massively :lol:

Better Call Saul doesn't have a lot of violence. It does happen but it's not littered throughout the show.

Succession? The Bear?

Real Name

Better Call Saul doesn't have a lot of violence. It does happen but it's not littered throughout the show.

Succession? The Bear?
Oh yes, we watched Succession too. Loved it.

Might pressure her to watch Better call Saul, she saw just the pilot and didnt like it for some reason although that was like a year ago.

Just read The Bear synopsis. Sounds good.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh yes, we watched Succession too. Loved it.

Might pressure her to watch Better call Saul, she saw just the pilot and didnt like it for some reason although that was like a year ago.
Tbf I have a good tolerance for shows that can seem 'slow' and even I gave up when I originally watched it. I came back to it like 4 years later and loved it. It gets incredible around Season 3.

Real Name

Tbf I have a good tolerance for shows that can seem 'slow' and even I gave up when I originally watched it. I came back to it like 4 years later and loved it. It gets incredible around Season 3.
That's what I keep saying to her. Some shows start slow but turn out to be great, some other start with a bang but then turn out to be stupid and meh, like Casa del Papel.

justsomebloke

We're deep into Billions at the moment, and really loving it. I think I actually prefer it to Succession, although they do take plot shortcuts sometimes that are somewhat lacking in plausibility and somewhat overly convenient. Fantastic actors (Paul Giamatti especially) and dialogue, great supporting characters too (particularly Wags, that magnificent operetta villain).

Before that "Halt and Catch Fire" which was maybe even better. Following tech startup people from the computer-building days of the early 80s to the 2010s. A lot more fun than it sounds.

justsomebloke

Succession? The Bear?
I know a lot of people love it, but I have to say I found The Bear unbearable (no pun intended). It seems to consist almost entirely of building stress and people shouting at each other. Not what I like to get into for fun.

justsomebloke

About that for me too, I'd say. It at least has to have given enough proof to warrant continued trying. Not overly worried if it's just been a bit slow or failed to catch the imagination - it's more what I've seen of the storytelling, characters, acting and dialogue and how they appear to approach the plot building. You can tell pretty quickly if this is going to the kind of show where things are just going to happen in quick succession for no particularly compelling reason, or where characters just get pencilled out in rough lines immediately, or the dialogue is just bad. "Berlin station" is an example that springs to mind.

justsomebloke

Seconded! It wears a bit thin as the seasons progress, but the early seasons are priceless. Matt Berry plays essentially the same character there and in IT Crowd. :)

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Seconded! It wears a bit thin as the seasons progress, but the early seasons are priceless. Matt Berry plays essentially the same character there and in IT Crowd. :)
These roles do make me wonder how much of an insatiable pervert he is in real life :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We're deep into Billions at the moment, and really loving it. I think I actually prefer it to Succession, although they do take plot shortcuts sometimes that are somewhat lacking in plausibility and somewhat overly convenient. Fantastic actors (Paul Giamatti especially) and dialogue, great supporting characters too (particularly Wags, that magnificent operetta villain).

Before that "Halt and Catch Fire" which was maybe even better. Following tech startup people from the computer-building days of the early 80s to the 2010s. A lot more fun than it sounds.
Which season are you on?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I know a lot of people love it, but I have to say I found The Bear unbearable (no pun intended). It seems to consist almost entirely of building stress and people shouting at each other. Not what I like to get into for fun.
That’s spot on BOH restaurant industry.

TheGame

You should try This is Us, me and my wife watched it and I thought it was brilliant. Also the Morning Show, How to get Away with Murder and Happy Valley.

Real Name

You should try This is Us, me and my wife watched it and I thought it was brilliant. Also the Morning Show, How to get Away with Murder and Happy Valley.
Thanks, all nice suggestions. :)
I catch The good fight every now and then. Looks like a good show?

Kaos

Just started Boardwalk Empire (yes a decade late).

Halfway through the second season, my wife's bored to tears, I think its OK so far but find it a little slow - does it pick up in pace?

justsomebloke

Haven’t heard of that one, will add it to the list. Watching the Bear at the moment, think that’s brilliant as well.
I think The Good Fight is brilliant, not the last season though. The predecessor, The Good Wife, was even better.

bucky

Mare of Easttown, Sharp Objects, The Alienist, early Luther and Fargo

Parma Dewol

Currently watching ‘American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson’ and it’s just so entertaining. Great cast and the absurdity of it all makes it enthralling viewing.

Failing that, ‘This Is Us’ or ‘The West Wing.’