Are Bruno and Rashford a problem?

frostbite

If Bruno is a problem, I have no idea what the solution might be... because Messi is too old now...

CloneMC16

He is our best player. He deserved to play in a team that could have won the league. It's a shame.

ForeverRed1

You can't really argue against that. I do think the argument of this thread makes some good points in terms of the style of play that fits these players (that Bruno in particular thrives on chaos) but look at his numbers and it's ridiculous: +10 goals and +10 assists every season, and 45+ appearances every season, even in bad years. Can't argue with that in terms of stats.

listen people rave about de bruyne but Bruno’s numbers and output are actually better. Of course it’s not all numbers but they don’t lie and do paint a picture. He can be wasteful but as we saw tonight he is also capable of the sublime. He also plays a ridiculous amount of games and minutes, he is a fecking machine, mentality monster and knows what it means to play for this club.

Bruno just gets it.

Irwin99

Weird that he played incredible then in the 25 minute period after the pen, when we exerted full control over the game. Less good in the chaos before the pen mind.

I think it’s clearly the EXACT opposite, when it’s chaos he’s much more likely to force things and make stupid decisions. He’s miles better for United and Portugal when they are in control of games.
I don't know I didn't see tonight's game but I'm not surprised reading that he has two goals and an assist. I will say that when he came and collected the ball against Coventry in the first half and was dictating things with McTominay pushing up we looked pretty good and I'm always puzzled as to why he can't do this more often (tactical instructions?) because he CAN play it sensible and dictate things at times. Other times though it's always the risky pass and the buzzing about all over the place which looks a bit directionless.

NZT-One

Captain literally went and won us the game, “losing his head” ??
He didn't "won us the game" through the whole game didn't he? He was throwing arms late in 1st half, I didn't like it. I am glad he kept it together in 2nd half, as you said, it looked like he was about to enter that weird state where he tries to force things. Many stupid shots. But it'll continue because he one came out successfull.

But lets not get into it. Bruno fans deserve their time in the sun. Don't overdo it though, it will only intensify the critics after the next not so great game.

Flying high

He didn't "won us the game" through the whole game didn't he? He was throwing arms late in 1st half, I didn't like it. I am glad he kept it together in 2nd half, as you said, it looked like he was about to enter that weird state where he tries to force things. Many stupid shots. But it'll continue because he one came out successfull.

But lets not get into it. Bruno fans deserve their time in the sun. Don't overdo it though, it will only intensify the critics after the next not so great game.
I've never understood the problem with this.

I don't know I didn't see tonight's game but I'm not surprised reading that he has two goals and an assist. I will say that when he came and collected the ball against Coventry in the first half and was dictating things with McTominay pushing up we looked pretty good and I'm always puzzled as to why he can't do this more often (tactical instructions?) because he CAN play it sensible and dictate things at times. Other times though it's always the risky pass and the buzzing about all over the place which looks a bit directionless.
Next time you see this occurring, try to think what’s happening all around him, and think about the opposite when he’s calmer and more “dictating”.
You’ll find his biggest moments of chaos often come when all his teammates are losing their minds, losing balls, giving away tonnes of chances and often when we’re behind.

The second our team calm down, Bruno tends to be much better, still a threat, but so much less wasteful.
You only have to watch Portugal to see how he performs when he’s not surrounded by chaos.

Glorio

I've said before, if you had more possession oriented players, Bruno works as the maverick who is decisive in the final third and makes things happen. When you play him with folks like Rashford, McTom, and Casemiro at times who are quite careless with the ball, it exacerbates the chaos.

Captain's performance tonight.

NZT-One

I've never understood the problem with this.
Thats fine. You don't have to. I guess we would also find things I don't get about your perception of something.

Keane used to stamp on people, Eric enjoyed a bit of that too.
But arm waving…. That’s where the line is drawn :lol:
It grates on people, and appears the root of most fans problem with Bruno. They simply don’t like his mannerisms so jump onto any nonsense theory of him being a “problem”.
Thank god we have posters like you who know everything and are ready to teach us mere peasants.

As if you wouldn't understand that waving arms is just a symbol of whining, lamenting, acting injured and so on. If you think, those characteristics aren't part of Brunos emotional repertoire, then you are blind. Today he was able to control it, fair fecks to him, he really can be happy with himself.

didz

Keane used to stamp on people, Eric enjoyed a bit of that too.
But arm waving…. That’s where the line is drawn :lol:
Nevermind our legends - many on this forum fawn over Bernardo Silva when he is far more petulant than Bruno. I have no idea at what point it was decided that United players had to be both angels and robots.

Anyway, another great game from Captain Bruno. 9 goal contributions in his last 5 games now.

buckooo1978

Bruno outstanding tonight

I wish we could try him in a great midfield and functional team in the next 18 months

Shark

@NotShark
Rashford yes, Bruno, hell no. Bruno consistently delivers in a side that's been struggling on and off since Ole signed him. Put him in City or Arsenals side and his stats would be even more mental.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yes, let's all kneejerk because he scored a pen and a long-ranger at home versus bottom-of-the-table SHU. Balloon D'Or is in the post.

despairingfool

We play so much better without Rashford it's so obvious. Immediately sell in the summer.

Bruno has played great the past 2 months albeit results haven't reflected it

cyril C

Is Rashford a problem, probably more YES than NO.

Is Bruno a problem, come to think of it from a wider perspective.

We have probably recruited half a century of players post Fergi era, and is probably the biggest spender (if not THE biggest) on wage and transfer fees. So stop criticising Glazer for not spending. Not if, but how.

Then I start counting how many new players as successful as Bruno, regardless of fees

1. That he fits the purpose & role
2. That he contributes on goals and tactics wise, i.e. being influential
3. That he stays with the club for more than 3 seasons (medium to long term, not a single season wonder)
4. That he is available most of those seasons, and being picked (possibly 1st name on the team sheet) most of the time (over picked IMO)

Pogba & Shaw being somewhere closed but fail on #4.

This probably means, Bruno is on par with Rooney, DDG, CR, Vidic, Evra, being the most successful recruitment in past decade or 2. So WHY on earth this thread?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This thread is like watching a never ending motorway pile up, where every time you think the traffic has slowed and its become obvious enough to end, people just carry on crashing into it anyway

redmanx

I can forgive Bruno his histrionics and moments of frustration because 9 out of 10 times he delivers and even if hes a bit below his usual high standards his work rate and effort are, usually, an example to all. Rashford on the other hand seems to think that because hes been with United since he was a lad everybody, especially the supporters, owe him; but its the other way around; he owes the supporters, he owes them not just decent performances but effort, desire, heart and a willingness to fight, all of which have been missing this season. Added to this his "pity me, pity me" whining about the stick he recieves and his new, totally unacceptable predilection for late night drinking and missing training then supporters have every right to "get on his back" and if Rashford wants them off he has to sort himself out, show some effort, show he cares and show he still actually wants to play for Manchester United...if not he should leave of his own volition; in his current state of self pity and woeful performances he wont be missed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Bruno broke his hand before the Sheffield game but insisted on playing. Can't say he isn't eager to play.

I'm just annoyed that during his best years we've been so useless.

tjb

What problem is Rashford specifically?
People are still finding reasons to blame our top players. This has been the situation since 2014. First it was Di Maria, then Rooney, then Ibra's age slowing us down, then Pogba's haircuts, then Ronaldo's pressing, and now Rashford (with Bruno sprinkled in). People can defend past it managers like Mourinho and LVG, mixed with never were managers like ETH, Ole, and Moyes, all going through bad patches at the club and their experience having to deal with the club, but they don't use this excuse for players (Varane and Casemiro included) who have achieved things at the highest level.

Incompetent tactics are undetectable to our fans. How can you watch England and see how ineffective Foden is, and then watch United and not notice that the game we're playing makes things tough for our players? We can't control games, therefore our forwards rarely have the ball in favourable situations. Despite this, many choose to blame a player like Rashford, who may go 30 minutes without seeing the ball owing to the lack of control we have in games, rather than the ineffective coaching staff that places these players in these situations. Rashford is a player who saved our necks last season, but as with Bruno, our fans are quick to discard our finest players in order to give failing managers a chance. The same supporters who do this will come on this thread and make statements about some fans' lack of support for the manager while failing to show the same support for players like Rashford. For me, it's amusing how people can claim that no one is bigger than the club but treat failing managers as if they are the club. How many top players can we go through before we realize that the club's and fans' pro-manager stance is ineffective. It's no surprise that the same media that can witness a player having a wonderful time on vacation and publish a foolish article putting them in the worst possible light will back a floundering old "good and honest" manager over a "entitled brat". The hypocrisy is what bothers me. Both from the English media and our supporters.