Are Bruno and Rashford a problem?

Robbie Boy

Too old for that shite. I just worry we'll be revisiting these discussions again next year...
Aye, I personally would bin both, if I'm being completely honest. It's just not going to happen, though.

Rashford absolutely has to go, but again, I fear he'll get another chance to have one of his little purple patches before reverting to type.

Rashford absolutely has to go, but again, I fear he'll get another chance to have one of his little purple patches before reverting to type.
I’m not so sure, it’ll all depend on a possible PSG offer I’m sure.
We have so many issues in this team that I’m sure Ashworth has identified 6-7 positions that need huge improvement asap. If selling Rashford can help the club to achieve that this Summer, it’ll be like Coutinho and he’ll go. He’s out most saleable asset by far.

Robbie Boy

I’m not so sure, it’ll all depend on a possible PSG offer I’m sure.
We have so many issues in this team that I’m sure Ashworth has identified 6-7 positions that need huge improvement asap. If selling Rashford can help the club to achieve that this Summer, it’ll be like Coutinho and he’ll go. He’s out most saleable asset by far.
If PSG are stupid enough to go for him, fantastic. But, I imagine they have a tonne of statistical analysts and Rashford ain't gonna have anything going for him in that respect. The hope would be that they buy him on reputation alone.

If PSG are stupid enough to go for him, fantastic. But, I imagine they have a tonne of statistical analysts and Rashford ain't gonna have anything going for him in that respect. The hope would be that they buy him on reputation alone.
Reputation and the fact that the one thing he definitely is, is a big game player. They’ve seen it first hand a few times too.
PSG need that, they are plenty better than everyone else every week.

Robbie Boy

Reputation and the fact that the one thing he definitely is, is a big game player. They’ve seen it first hand a few times too.
PSG need that, they are plenty better than everyone else every week.
PSG do seem to have a bizarre approach to transfers. So yeah, I'm hoping they'll throw us a fair few quid for him. He really needs to go at this stage.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
PSG have switched to prioritising French players and focussing on long-term squad building, especially with Enrique there.

Hopefully they make an exception for Rashford, especially with Mbappe leaving.

CloneMC16

Bruno is one of our best players. Putting him in the same category as Rashford is crazy. Rashford walks around the pitch and gives absolutely no fecks.

If we sold Bruno, whoever we brought in to replace him would almost certainly be worse than he is.

The club should do everything it can to bin off Rashford.

FootballAI

Bruno is one of our best players. Putting him in the same category as Rashford is crazy. Rashford walks around the pitch and gives absolutely no fecks.

If we sold Bruno, whoever we brought in to replace him would almost certainly be worse than he is.

Agree. Bruno is our only shining light in this god awful team, imagine what he can do in a proper functioning team like City or Arsenal. His workrate, his vision and his creativity are the main reason why we are still scoring a good number of goals this season.

People keep saying if we get rid of Bruno our midfield would be more balanced. How is that? Maybe balance of being bad in all aspects more like.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Our biggest issue yesterday was the back 4.

3-0 up with twenty minutes to go, the attacking players (to an extent anyway) did their job until Ten Hag's substitutions then completely changed the game in a negative way.

Not sure how anyone watched it and reached the conclusion that Fernandes and Rashford were the problems.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Our biggest issue yesterday was the back 4.

3-0 up with twenty minutes to go, the attacking players (to an extent anyway) did their job until Ten Hag's substitutions then completely changed the game in a negative way.

Not sure how anyone watched it and reached the conclusion that Fernandes and Rashford were the problems.
Rashford was terrible all game while Bruno was terrible in that 20 minute period where we collapsed. I think it's fair to say Bruno and Rashford are at a different level of problem right now though. Rashford is terrible in a way that seems irredeemable. He's just too far gone i think. We need hungry young pros. People who love the game and are committed to it. That's the one good thing about Antony, even though he's terrible, he at least plays like he gives a shit. And Bruno too, I think he has some terrible parts to his game but he gives a shit. A dressing room has to be a band of brothers, united in one goal. When you have 'star' players who are checked out it sets a terrible precedent. Already we're seeing some bad habits in Garnacho partly because he grew up in the shit era.

JoaquinJoaquin

No chance. Bruno has one good game every 5 or 6. There are plenty of players out there that would be in improvement.

CloneMC16

No chance. Bruno has one good game every 5 or 6. There are plenty of players out there that would be in improvement.
Probably true based on this season, but over the course of his time here, he has been our best player.

Who has performed better than him over the last 5 years?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Bruno defines the current state of the club: A yo-yo club (/player) which (/who) can sporadically produce moments of magic but is simply not good enough or at an acceptable level.

We badly need to upgrade him. We'll continue to be mediocre until he remains the focal point of our team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bruno needs an equal / superior as competition and gradual replacment

Rashford needs to go

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Rashford was terrible all game while Bruno was terrible in that 20 minute period where we collapsed. I think it's fair to say Bruno and Rashford are at a different level of problem right now though. Rashford is terrible in a way that seems irredeemable. He's just too far gone i think. We need hungry young pros. People who love the game and are committed to it. That's the one good thing about Antony, even though he's terrible, he at least plays like he gives a shit. And Bruno too, I think he has some terrible parts to his game but he gives a shit. A dressing room has to be a band of brothers, united in one goal. When you have 'star' players who are checked out it sets a terrible precedent. Already we're seeing some bad habits in Garnacho partly because he grew up in the shit era.
We were 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go. Rashford did ok at times, Fernandes scored and got an assist. There was very little wrong with our attacking output yesterday for 70 minutes.

Ultimately, if the back 4 had a brain cell between them, we'd have won that game 3-1 and this thread would have been ignored until Wednesday.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Probably true based on this season, but over the course of his time here, he has been our best player.

Who has performed better than him over the last 5 years?
Probably nobody. But when we talk about the future, the question is: Is he past it, or can something be done to get him back to his initial level? If yes, do it, if no, he should be replaced as long as you can get a reasonable transfer fee

CloneMC16

Probably nobody. But when we talk about the future, the question is: Is he past it, or can something be done to get him back to his initial level? If yes, do it, if no, he should be replaced as long as you can get a reasonable transfer fee
The future does worry me a little. Bruno has played an absurd amount of football over the last 7/8 seasons. He's missed only a handful of games and runs like a mad man every match. It wouldn't surprise me if his level fell off a cliff quite abruptly within the next couple seasons. He has so many miles on the clock.

I don't think he's past it now, though. He's probably not going to score every other game again, but I think his overall level can rise again.

If he were sold, I would be sad about it, but I would understand that we're trying to rebuild the team. I still don't believe we'd get an upgrade on him.

tidraKS

Bruno is the least of our problems. He tries 150% every game.

tomaldinho1

It's so harsh on Bruno to put him in the same bracket as Rashford.

Bruno the issue is mostly stylistic, he's a good player who isn't truly elite but he has does the minimum every game of working his arse off. It's incredibly frustrating to watch him but our issue with him is basically he only really suits one style of play.

Rashford is just cack.

Wolfbot

The future does worry me a little. Bruno has played an absurd amount of football over the last 7/8 seasons. He's missed only a handful of games and runs like a mad man every match. It wouldn't surprise me if his level fell off a cliff quite abruptly within the next couple seasons. He has so many miles on the clock.

I don't think he's past it now, though. He's probably not going to score every other game again, but I think his overall level can rise again.

If he were sold, I would be sad about it, but I would understand that we're trying to rebuild the team. I still don't believe we'd get an upgrade on him.
You're absolutely right. I think it'd be a case of don't know what you've got 'til it's gone with Bruno. Yes, I'm sure we could easily find a player that will play it safe and keep the ball better, but we won't as easily find a player with his level of vision and creativity.

Without him I'm fairly sure we'd be almost completely blunt, Mount or Amad aren't going to come in and provide half of what he does.

A player of his creativity that's a genuine upgrade in other areas as well is going to cost a fortune and will probably be wanted by other top teams as well.

He's the last player I want to see being sold when there are so many other positions need replacing, or better back ups brought in.

I've tried to defend Rashford a little in this thread before due to previous good seasons and big goals showing a higher level in him, but yesterday was diabolical.

This constant trying to dribble into the box and just running into players until he loses the ball is torture. It's like our version of Jack Grealish in that he constantly repeats one thing over and over in a game. At least Grealish gets free kicks out of it, Rashford just turns over possession cheaply.

Nogbadthebad

Bruno is our best player. Is he perfect? No.

But we have so many other positions to sort, including the people directly around him, he would be the last player to focus on when upgrading the squad.

Marcus is broken. He is not 'shite', he is very clearly having issues. Rio kind of hinted at the people around him on the overlap, but whatever the issue is, it needs sorting. If that means moving, then that is what should happen.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I think its time for Rashford to go. Sometimes players just reach the end of a cycle with a club an I think a move to somewhere like a PSG would revitalise him.

the issue for Bruno as that he is surrounded by a mixture of dross and youngsters, with better players around he would flourish. I think he is a bit too emotional/heart on sleeve type to be a long term captain though.

croadyman

Rashford is the biggest problem whereas Bruno clearly gives it his all but needs to be coached so he looks after the ball better when that's needed

Last edited:

LDUred

Bruno's stats are almost identical to Odegaards, and together they're both the two most creative players in the league.

He's sometimes frustrating and he does cede possession to an annoying extent, but he makes things happen.

When you look at our team in terms of quality, and see the distinct lack of it, why would you remove Bruno? He's one of the few players we've got who can produce a bit of magic. Who else are we going to buy who will be as good as or better than him? When you look at the dross we've signed under Ten Hag especially, we'd be well advised to show faith in players who have been slightly frustrating. You could be replacing a Bruno with a Van de Beek.

Rashford's another case entirely because his form has been woeful this season; however, I would still stick with him, mainly for the reasons given above. We just cannot trust ourselves to sign improvements because a) players don't want to move to us and b) our recent record with new signings inspires no confidence.

But the main thing is the fact that selling Bruno is nonsensical.

Last edited:

SER19

Get his name out of this title FFS. Limping him in with rashford typifies the state of this forum at its worst. Embarrassing

NZT-One

Bruno, the best signing we have made since fergie by a country mile.
Not that big of a compliment, isn't it :D

Nice assist, nice goal. Output is back, at least that is something. Still don't like him at all playing that deep. Him and Eriksen were mere cones in two or three scenes earlier. Also started to lose his head I felt. But good to see a good result coming our way. I think though that we played so much better in 1st half.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Idiots thinking Bruno is a problem. When he retires they will all look back on hin with rose tinted glasses.

FootballAI

Bruno always thrives under pressure. When the team is not performing, he is always the one that brings hope.

ForeverRed1

Nice assist, nice goal. Output is back, at least that is something. Still don't like him at all playing that deep. Him and Eriksen were mere cones in two or three scenes earlier. Also started to lose his head I felt. But good to see a good result coming our way. I think though that we played so much better in 1st half.
Well they have spent over a billion I believe, so it kind of is! He’s the one shining light actually.

Irwin99

Bruno, the best signing we have made since fergie by a country mile.
You can't really argue against that. I do think the argument of this thread makes some good points in terms of the style of play that fits these players (that Bruno in particular thrives on chaos) but look at his numbers and it's ridiculous: +10 goals and +10 assists every season, and 45+ appearances every season, even in bad years. Can't argue with that in terms of stats.

(that Bruno in particular thrives on chaos)
Weird that he played incredible then in the 25 minute period after the pen, when we exerted full control over the game. Less good in the chaos before the pen mind.

I think it’s clearly the EXACT opposite, when it’s chaos he’s much more likely to force things and make stupid decisions. He’s miles better for United and Portugal when they are in control of games.

Captain literally went and won us the game, “losing his head” ??