Are Russia doping?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

They didn’t even look fussed. Could maintain it for 180 minutes never mind 180. Fact is most players on the Russian team have nothing to lose and everything to gain with Putin ...
Nah, various players looked tired at the end of the Egypt game. there were a few instances of counters breaking down because of it, especially once a fresh Smolov came on for the last ten minutes and the others couldn't support him.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
What's more ridiculous than the "Russia are always guilty" crowd are the people who act like Russia isn't one of the shadiest countries around. Lovely whataboutism from some people too. Russians love that shit.

432JuanMata

Opening match of the world cup in your own country was obvious they would run like rabbits, I don't think they are doping and 100% expect it too drop too a normal rate after 3 or 4 matches. They are the home team both games and are running themselves into the ground will be the reason they go out in the last 16.

Meep

Yes, of course they are doping. There is NO reason for them not to do it. The pressure on them from every angle are telling them to dope. A corrupt country being the host for a corrupt organizations tournament there is no chance of you getting the bill for your behaviour. No one cares how you do it. Just do it. The stats talk for themselves. Russians ain't getting a double injection from being the home nation compared to a well conditioned Iceland. Its pathetic and of course the will probably lose to a better team somewhere down the line (also mildly doped but no russian level).

Honest John

If they are, and it's known but nobody wants to go up against Putin to expose, then the referees should move to influence things - two wrongs do make a right.

RedDevil@84

I love how some people on this thread are so sure that there is doping involved.
While it was obvious they are going to put in that extra effort when they are playing at home and in front of all those fans. Of course players are much more motivated.
And more importantly, they faced one pathetic team and another over-hyped team having a star player.

MadMike

I'm curious to see if they manage to run Uruguay ragged. If they do I'll start getting suspicious.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

kotha

All footballers dope to some degree.. To estimate the extent to which Russia did compared to others might be tough.. Playing in front of your home crowd and before Putin will have a huge incentive too.. Given there were rumors of the Saudi king not being happy and their team improving so much for the next match in fear, easy to understand the russian team's motivation to play well infront of Putin..

But I do think they fixed the draw somewhat to give them a match against the Saudi's.. What Platini said about tweaking the draw a little during the 98 world cup as hosts, just confirms these suspicions..

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They've made a longer preparation than any other team, which can give them some fitness advantadge. But against Saudi Arabia they didn't need to make a top game to stick all those goals in the net and the game against Egypt the result is deceiving, since Egypt had as many good chances to win the match as Russia, who won the match by being more accurate on the finnishing.

Rajma

Yes, of course they are doping. There is NO reason for them not to do it. The pressure on them from every angle are telling them to dope. A corrupt country being the host for a corrupt organizations tournament there is no chance of you getting the bill for your behaviour. No one cares how you do it. Just do it. The stats talk for themselves. Russians ain't getting a double injection from being the home nation compared to a well conditioned Iceland. Its pathetic and of course the will probably lose to a better team somewhere down the line (also mildly doped but no russian level).
I was looking for evidence and confirmation, this seals it for me. Russians are on doping.

fluffy monster

Supports
Chelsea
You do get this suscipion just from the history Russia has had with doping, including very recently. Was watching both their matches and feeling very happy with them playing so well (I have Russian roots, so follow them during big tournaments, as my other team is completely hopeless), but pretty much instantly started thinking... there's a good possibility they're doping, which dampens the mood.

There was one match, which is not yet in the table above, which teams had 'total distance covered' that is closer to Russia numbers:
112 km Australia - 114 km Denmark. Which is close enough to Russia's:

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/match/300331518/#match-statistics

Czerczesow was Legia Warszawa's coach for a season or two, apart from Petrescu's Wisła Kraków, I have never seen a Polish team that would run so fecking much and always hassle their opponents. The players, as per usual, were complaining at the intensity of the training sessions and that Czerczesow's pretty much an authoritarian coach, but sure as hell it brought them rewards in winning Polish league.

So basically no, doubt they're doping, it's just that their squad is shite and Czerczesow gets the most out of it by running them to ground. And I hate Russia.
Good insight. That is pretty relevant I think. That's my favourite explanation so far, because I don't want to believe they're doping, even though it is likely are :(
And even if they did train harder than anyone, it still doesn't prove they're not doping, of course.

Now if they play badly vs Uruguay today, will it be more suspicious it they play well or not? :D If they play well it's proof they're doped, if play badly then it's just because they heard of the suspicions and tanked the game on purpose. Just kidding :)

Reactions: KM

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
They will get knocked out at quater finals or something and they wont bother anyone else and all will be forgotten

iHicksy

After watching them for the first couple of games my initial thought was that these guys were using something like Clenbuterol or one of the newer oral SARMS which increase endurance and force output (I compete at natural bodybuilding and have done a lot of research into various compounds out of curiosity). I'm not sure how easy Clen is to mask as it's also used as a masking agent itself, but the SARMs for sure can be masked relatively easily.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
After watching them for the first couple of games my initial thought was that these guys were using something like Clenbuterol or one of the newer oral SARMS which increase endurance and force output (I compete at natural bodybuilding and have done a lot of research into various compounds out of curiosity). I'm not sure how easy Clen is to mask as it's also used as a masking agent itself, but the SARMs for sure can be masked relatively easily.
Obviously Russia are really good because they eat clen and tren hard.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Cherchesov is known for his ability to prepare players physically. Legia Warsaw were also running like mad men when he was the manager there.

Classical Mechanic

Cherchesov is known for his ability to prepare players physically. Legia Warsaw were also running like mad men when he was the manager there.
Now don't ruin the thread with boring facts.
If he can get players so much fitter than other coaches you would have thought his methods would have been adopted by countless others, no?

Classical Mechanic

Just been 2 matches.
Well, supposedly he has form at getting his players in superior condition. You are right though, it has been only been two matches.

On one hand Russia are the home nation and only just starting their domestic season so perhaps they would be fitter. On the other hand Russia's recent history of doping, corruption and obfuscation of truth, along with the inherent corrupt nature of FIFA, will raise suspicions among many.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If he can get players so much fitter than other coaches you would have thought his methods would have been adopted by countless others, no?
Well the downside of this over season is that towards April-May they can be knackered. Won't happen on the international stage as it's maximum 7 games over 4 and a half weeks.

Also, some players totally hated him for it at Legia. You really need them to buy into the strategy and none of the so called stars will.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Damien Duff just made a good point on Russia possibly doping, the only top nation in the top 10 on the list is Germany and that’s because they keep on giving the ball away, you have to run more without the ball and Russia don’t have the ball for long stretches of the games therefore have to run a lot more, still they are probably doping on top of that.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You have to contextuailse those figures. Clearly over-excited for the opening game of the tournament, up against a team that held the ball a lot but made themselves hugely vulnerable to the counter and left big space behind their full-backs, creates an environment where more running and sprints are likely. Similarly, I'm not sure what the temperature has been like, but it's certainly been stiflingly hot for a few teams which will lower the overall average. And if you compare Russia's total to the CL distance covered figures, they're not unique.

JoaquinJoaquin

I can see why the thread has been created when you look at those stats and the results so far, But I don't think they are doping personally. I think once they play a good team they will get exposed. If Egypt had 1 or 2 more creative players I think they could of easily got something from Russia.

walkinhop

I've had the same thoughts about Rooney and chicken a few years back. Some things will forever remain a mystery.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nah, just shite opposition until now then.:lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Nice to see some competent posts in this thread, sadly that there's been so few of them. Hopefully this game will prove the doubters wrong :lol:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
From what I've seen from 2014, Russia today is running pretty much the same distance as it has back then. Aussies were in mood to run the most, and Chile were freakin' amazing with sprinting.

Americans ran for 154 km one game! It was extra time, but I bet on average it'll still be the most by a lot.

See more [ here ] (wip)

SER19

Nice to see some competent posts in this thread, sadly that there's been so few of them. Hopefully this game will prove the doubters wrong :lol:
Threads like this are almost never worth reading

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not sure that I've seen this argument (have only glanced through this thread), but it's still the most obvious one. Unlike the top teams like Spain, Germany, Brazil etc., Russia's physical peak had to happen in the first group games — because realistically we have no chances in the play offs and the main goal was not to embarrass yourself in the opening games.

Plus Cherchesov is known to be a Magath-lite coach — a manager whose main tactics (if you can call it that) was to outrun the opponent and to press him as intensely as you can, which brings us back to the ground cover stats. Golovin — the most active player, was also at the top of the ground covered list in the CL group stages (again controlled by Putin?) and is benched for the third game because his energy isn't endless. Plus the insane motivation.