Are United fans arrogant?

Salvation

Damnation
As a relative outsider, it is one of the most common criticism labelled at you lot.

In fairness, no club which is so consistently successful will have fans who aren't perceived as arrogant. May be it is the jelousy that rival fans feel?

But I also think many neutrals the same way about this issue too...to a lesser degree.

RedLars

I am, but I don't think it has anything to do with me supporting United.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It might be because our yardstick is always set high - we may seem more confident about winning titles and cups, because we often DO win titles and cups. We could of course be falsely modest and be amazed when we won something, but that would be silly really.

It doesn't mean that we don't appreciate those wins, but I can see how supporters of clubs which rarely, if ever win anything much might see that as 'arrogance'.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
There are plenty on here who live in the "big club bubble". I wouldn't neccessarily call it arrogance but in my opinion there is often an inability to consider things outside the p.o.v. of a megaclub.

The Wizard

As a relative outsider, it is one of the most common criticism labelled at you lot.

In fairness, no club which is so consistently successful will have fans who aren't perceived as arrogant. May be it is the jelousy that rival fans feel?

But I also think many neutrals the same way about this issue too...to a lesser degree.
I think the better question is: Are United fans more arrogant than the worlds other most successful clubs' fans? I think you'll find consistantly winning breeds that expectancy/confidence... 'arrogance'.

There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Were Liverpool fans arrogant to expect to beat Wimbledon in the FA Cup final back in the 80's?

And on that note... take it from me, there was no other set of fans more arrogant than Liverpool back in the 80's, they set the benchmark in that respect. So much so that the reminants of them still are to a degree, nearly 25 years after they last won a championship.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Even if some United fans are arrogant, they have reasons. Why are Arsenal fans arrogant (yes, they are) I will never understand.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Can't generalise a whole fan base as arrogant but yes I guess a lot of us are. A lot of us though remember the dark days of the 70's and then the 80's (in my case) and therefore couldnt give a shit what ABU's say. Dippers were just as arrogant during their run.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think so... and I wouldn't trust the judgement of anyone who would think so, as they are clearly beneath me.

INF-AMOS

If success is the trigger arrogance then I believe we have been modest compared to the amount of conceited shite City fans have been spouting after buying just one title.

Crustanoid

Success will bring its fair share of arrogant fans, but I don't think we're all arrogant, particularly those of us who have gone through the dark years between 68-93.

The false arrogance which is being cultivated by Chelsea and City fans is probably more cringeworthy

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We may as well be the biggest arrogant cnuts around because that's what our detractors need to believe.

The only time we've really been guilty of arrogance was towards the end of last season when we mistakenly believed our current squad could defend an eight-point lead. Very few of us were arrogant enough to think we actually deserved to be in that ridiculous position in the first place after the form/injuries we'd had.

The rest of the time we've just enjoyed our incredible success to the max. If that offends other fans, I'm sure we'll take that into consideration in the future...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I haven't come across it really. I asked a Norwich season ticket holder the other day though if Liverpool fans really are this deluded and he said "oh yea, that isn't an exaggeration". I thought they were mostly limited to the internet but that wasn't the case.

Eriku

No, stupid fans are arrogant. And all teams have their share of stupid fans.

Hence why all players of teams they don't care for are "shit", and their own team's success is just round the corner.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Well, considering fans doesn't just represent one person, the question doesn't really work. Of course there will be arrogant United fans, that's a given, as every club has arrogant fans. Newcastle are probably back to thinking their team should be challenging for every medal available again, even in competitions they don't play in. We have fans who think that finishing 3rd or 4th is like being relegated, so yes, there are some, but it's a weird label to apply over a team that has hundreds of millions of fans worldwide. I don't get this feeling that United fans give off some universal aura of arrogance.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Ignorant rather than arrogant.

There are so many on this site who simply don't get it, when it comes to non Utd stuff.

Baxter

Well an Everton supporting mate called me arrogant for saying Bainesfor £15 odd million would be a bit of a waste of money. I personally disagree.

Salvation

Damnation
I think the better question is: Are United fans more arrogant than the worlds other most successful clubs' fans? I think you'll find consistantly winning breeds that expectancy/confidence... 'arrogance'.

There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Were Liverpool fans arrogant to expect to beat Wimbledon in the FA Cup final back in the 80's?

And on that note... take it from me, there was no other set of fans more arrogant than Liverpool back in the 80's, they set the benchmark in that respect. So much so that the reminants of them still are to a degree, nearly 25 years after they last won a championship.
I think relative to their success the general aura among United fans is of arrogance. This is largely felt by fans of clubs outside England because United haven't had the success in the continent to back it up. Whether United fans like ot or not, Liverpool still do.

Even if some United fans are arrogant, they have reasons. Why are Arsenal fans arrogant (yes, they are) I will never understand.
Thats a whole different story with them thinking of themselves as the self-righteous flag bearers of the beautiful game. Could have been justified a few years ago but they have been in steady decline on the flair front as well.

Well, considering fans doesn't just represent one person, the question doesn't really work. Of course there will be arrogant United fans, that's a given, as every club has arrogant fans. Newcastle are probably back to thinking their team should be challenging for every medal available again, even in competitions they don't play in. We have fans who think that finishing 3rd or 4th is like being relegated, so yes, there are some, but it's a weird label to apply over a team that has hundreds of millions of fans worldwide. I don't get this feeling that United fans give off some universal aura of arrogance.
But they do. Agreed about Newscastle fans, btw. I get what you're alluding to. Taking success for granted is also emits some of it.

I also buy the ignorance aspect. Even though United have consistently had a very good side domesically for the past two decades, only once have they had a side close to dominance in Europe. Hence, for all their league success they have flattered to deceive in the continent.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Have you decided to stop being a United fan?!

RedLars

I also buy the ignorance aspect. Even though United have consistently had a very good side domesically for the past two decades, only once have they had a side close to dominance in Europe. Hence, for all their league success they have flattered to deceive in the continent.
Well that's just simply not true. Apart from Barcelona, which team(s) have bettered our European record the past decade?

Rhetorical question!

Stretch

I live in SA and over here, as expected, people mostly support United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. Tottenham, citeh, Villa and Newcastle have some supporters as well but very few. This 'arrogance' criticism is leveled at me and any United fan all the time over here. I once had a debate with a gooner and asked him why he hates United so much that he'd rather see his own team lose to see United suffer (he said something to this effect). He simply answered that it is because United fans are arrogant and he can't stand us. I asked him how are United any more arrogant than any other fan and he said that we always believe our team is better than anybody else. I noted to him that it could be because we have actually been the best English team for the best part of 2 decades to which he said true, and I asked so what is the problem...there was silence.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Without a doubt.

All through the years when Liverpool were winning everything United fans just responded with 'yeah, but we're a bigger club'. Drove 'em fecking mad!

As the song goes, 'We're the famous Man United and we're going to Wemberlee'.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We're definitely arrogant, but I'm not sure it's a United fan thing.

I can't think of a set of fans who wouldn't become arrogant and want to rub it in others faces if their team was succesful. It seems to be half the point of being a fan. Things like that "not arrogant, just better" sign though...sorry, but if it's not arrogance, you don't need to say it at all.

I think ignorance is a problem United fans suffer with more...but again it might be more of a general football fan thing. Things like berating every player who dares to leave the club to better their career, thinking Darren Fletcher is one of the best midfielders in Europe, etc. Or in the case of other team's fans and Tony Pulis, the embarassing "you never get them at Old Trafford" line/mindset.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Because there are so many people who class themselves as United fans you get all sorts really. You get those who are arrogant, those who think the team is absolute rubbish, those who think Fletcher is one of the best midfielders in Europe and those who think Shawcross is a better defender than Evans. Overall it's just a huge mix of people. There is nothing special or different about United fans compared to fans of other clubs.

Dave89

I got that levelled my way a few times when I was expressing disdain at playing in the Europa league.