Are you happy with the football we have played this season overall?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
C.

Occasionally we veer into D. Occasionally we veer into B. But for the most part, I'd say C.

Dinghy

Our football was perfectly fine until about two months ago. From then it's just kept getting worse both on the pitch and the decisions from the bench.

Flytan

The football isn't amazing but with our finishing rate is anyone surprised we don't have the same type of play we had at our better parts of the season?

I mean we're still alive for top 4, naturally the season is a disappointment but with Rashford's/others inability to actually score goals I don't see how we'd expect anything more.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I prefer the mentality but don't like the execution. Last season I didn't like mentality but we were brutally efficient with shenanigans like scoring without any shot at goals.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
If any of you were alive for lvG, then you'd not say d.

We make forward passes now. That al9ne makes it better
We do but not in all games (some have been Ray Wilkins-esque) and to what end? Whatever a team's style is, it needs to have an aim..... goals, points, league position?

2015/16 : finished 5th..... won 19 games ...... 66 points ...... F.A.Cup winners

2016/17 (29 games gone) : 6th ..... won 14 games ..... 54 points ...... League Cup winners

I'd probably prefer Jose over LVG (though this season has been nowhere near as good as I'd thought it'd be/hoped) but don't see real improvement, some team selections/subs as mental as LVG and some player man-management (or lack of it) not great under Jose.

Hopefully we can win EL but if not, could end up with lower league position, less wins, less points.

Option.C for me (with a tint of D).

WhoDaGOAT

The overall level of entertainment hasn't been good enough; considering the players we brought in and our attacking options. I like our improved mental strength, but things must improve drastically next season. Mourinho will have failed if he does not win The Europa League, in my opinion. The pressure will be on right away come August.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Right now, with emotions running high after the West Brom and Everton games, Id be tempted to say C. But less than 2 months ago it would've been an easy B, so putting my rational human being hat on, in place of my mental angry fan one, Id say our poor form of late shouldn't detract from the obvious signs of improvement.

Our peaks have been higher, and more frequent, than at any time since 2013 (possibly before?) We've just got an annoying knack of falling back into bad habits when the pressure's on.

B -

Theonas

Scout
We have more individual quality than at any point in the past 3 seasons. Pogba, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan and Mata have been creating some genuinely world class moments throughout the season, albeit very inconsistently. We also play a more direct brand football in that we try to get the ball up to dangerous areas quicker than before. This has led to more action close to the opponents' goal which is always more exciting to watch. The quality of our movement and ability to open up a defence however has been average. Very successful in games vs Burnley, West Ham in the COC, Stoke both times I think and maybe a couple of other games but other than that, it was mainly that individual quality or directness that led to chances or in some cases, the impression of chances. So overall, we are a team that has more skill and that plays a brand of football that is less complicated and therefore leads to more exciting moments. If we build on that with a proper game changer, there is no reason why so many of those draws won't turn into wins.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We've improved in every way except scoring.

Only lost 3 games and in 10 out of those 12 draws we were much closer to winning than losing.

wolvored

B. With better players bought in ready for next season, we will challenge for the title, i'm sure of it.

Ashley R1+O

Yep. The overall concoction of our play is miles better, we're playing one v one again, making it all about the players and how they work together as a team to score goals. I don't think relying on possession to negate defensive duty would have ever worked for us and only caused headaches. So anything further away from that style will always be moving in the right direction in my eyes. Team cohesion, players. The bigger picture is football that will lead us to winning domestically again.

caid

I actually think D tbh (with a bit of C i guess, I dont think were getting worse, just continuing to be average)
The style of football might be more attractive but I dont think we've improved in any meaningful sense (might be just recent performances making me feel that way)

I had more time for Van Gaal than most though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not good enough.

We play better football than we did last year but sadly still seem to be doing it with the seat belt fastened. While LVG completely put the hand brake on us and made is extremely cautious and systematic to the point where we barely created chances, under Jose we seem to dislike fielding good players now, and end up getting as shitty results as before anyway.

I am optimistic about a few things such as the summer signings and playing a quicker tempo, but it feels like 3 steps forward and 2 steps back right now in terms of performances and standing still in terms of results.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
B-D. Started off as D, then we reached B and settled into C.. now we are back to D. I'd say overall C.

There is definitely an improvement in the side but problem is that is looking at United in isolation. If we look at it from the perspective of comparing our sides to our rivals.. the fact we are still below one of the worst Arsenal sides ever.. gives you a huge wake up call as to how good our season really is.

Individually we have only had 3 excellent performers - everyone else has been below par and Bailly/De Gea haven't been top tier but probably the best of the rest.

Whilst there is promise, we shouldn't be giddy with excitement because we are so far away from the top sides and it is going to take mammoth improvements to get to level we want to. Contract extensions to Fellaini and Lingard.. I'm not hopeful that this cull we want is going to happen.

Next year is a scary thought.. might be the straw that broke the camels back and heads could roll if we don't see proper progress.

el3mel

B

People are just complicating things due to the recent drop of performance but overall we were very good most of the season and by adding more offensive players that can score goals we'll be much more better . If the question had been asked 1 month earlier everyone would have been saying opposite things to what they are saying now . It's just the effect of bad results recently .

More additions to our attack and we'll challenging for the title next season with exactly the same performance and tactics we used this whole season .

Jose knows the problem and will solve it in summer no doubt .

redspoony

Taking the season as a whole, I'm reasonably happy. Our biggest problem is scoring goals and I'm comfortable in the fact we know what the problem is.

If we had three bad games on the bounce and in one game the problem was the defence, the next was the midfield and the final game the problem was the attack, we'd be in serious trouble. We have drawn so many games because we haven't converted chances. Once Jose addresses that in the summer we'll be in a better position. He will also look at other areas of the team and hopefully we will be more consistent.

caid

Im kind of disappointed in the form of Rashford, Martial and Shaw as well tbh.
Think its becoming fairly clear that it just isn't a strength of Mourinho

Salman Bin Ahmed

Trending topic on the caf at the moment in different threads. And there seems to a few major camps

a) We play great football and the only thing holding us back from even better is the quality of the players on the pitch.

b) Its been good overall and and will get even better next season with better players and more time under Mourinho

c) Dno, it's better than under Van Gaal though.

d) It's shit, any improvement from last season is marginal/non-significant and it's getting worse

I'd say I started the season in C, but the more I've watched us play I still think it's as shit as last season. Especially considering the talent at disposal.

What do you all think?

A & B

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Happy in the way we are going to be honest but we need better players.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't think quality of players is the problem as much as we are estimating it to be. We have played way better football than what we saw in last 3 seasons and arguably better than the final sides of Fergie, and our present side is better than that side IMO. The only reason why we aren't that successful is the finishing. I don't remember these many games where we created 20+ chances and all decent ones in even RVP's season. If we were clinical, and had notched 3-0, 4-0 5-0 wins that we deserved in games like Stoke, Burnley and all those games, we'd classify the same football as scintillating. We'd had been maybe been around Chelsea's point haul or maybe trailing them by a couple of points.

Andersons Dietician

Might be in the minority but it's been awful since the 2nd game in the season, Jose has been woeful and I think performances this season are worse than last year so d)

Even last year I'd watch every game like I always have. Now I tend to start watching the matches then start thinking my time would be better served doing house things with it on in the back ground. We can't even say he is winning games with these poor performances or boring football. It's hard to watch.
Last year the goals we did score were more aesthetically pleasing and of a better quality that this season.

Red Star One

5-6/10

It's really sad to see other top6 teams getting easy, smooth and convincing wins relatively regularly. There were very few games we controlled from the very beginning this season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I was pleased at one point but am now more in the unhappy camp. There's absolutely no excuse for our woeful performance in the final third and the fact that Bournemouth, who are in 15th, have scored more goals than us is pretty laughable. Part of that was bad luck (twenty something woodwork hits) and part has just not been adequate coaching and player performance.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Has to be C, I suppose.

Seems clear that we won't see Mourinho's «proper» United team until next season, so I'm basically just waiting and/or hoping for that. Whatever we can salvage from the current season will be a bonus in my book.

But, yeah - C. Not convinced at all but it's better than last season.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm between B and C.

We've mostly dominated teams and created many chances in most games. Still slow and ponderous until we're chasing the game.

shaky

B- for me. I think our slow start to the season made life too hard for ourselves. We were up against it in the league after only a few months, but we've kept pace since then. I suppose the fact that our disappointing results are draws, rather than defeats, shows a decent sign of progress. I know blaming luck isn't popular, because there are obviously still big issues with aspects of our game, but in the 10 draws we've had in the unbeaten run, even only 2 or 3 goals more, which I think we probably deserved, could have seen us sitting in a strong position for the top 4 fight and I think most people would have been fairly content if that had been the case. Cups have been pretty pleasing. We've done everything we've had to, apart from in the 1 game v Chelsea. Still a lot to fight for in the next couple of months and, unlike last season, I'm always looking forward to our next game. I expect improvement next season. A few more fresh faces and a further deadwood clearance needed in the summer to make sure we're, at minimum, comfortably top 4.

C'est Moi Cantona

C, we are better than LvG no doubt, but hardly a high bar, enough though to hope next season will be much better,, so happy enough atm.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yes and no. I'm a lot more happy with our football from the general perpesctive of how we play and approach games. We no longer go large periods of games controlling possession but making no actual attempt to score. Or looking like we have no actual tactics or plan.

There is still improvement to be made in terms of the overall quality though. Although the approach is good, some of the actual performances, particularly since Christmas, are still dross. I also don't like our game managemment when we have a lead. It's far too negative to the point it is demonstrably counter productive. We make loads of defensive changes, take away any threat we have even on the counter, then a simple cross comes into our box and someone heads or boots it in unchallenged. If you're going to offer no attacking outlet or threat at all, at least set up to defend properly.

The other thing is the chance squandering. It's gone from being "well it makes a nice change to be creating the chances to miss" to being more "for feck sake just kick it into the goal you unbelievably useless fecking cretins!!" ...in some ways (well, most), it's better than under LVG, because I at least can maintain an interest in the game. On the other hand though, it's infuriating to watch. I rarely got infuriated last season, mostly because I was struggling to even pay attention

foolsgold

Oct / Nov there was real signs of progress, it's kinda gone to crap since Christmas.

Forwards not delivering in particular, Martial, puts too much work load on others.