Are you happy with the football we have played this season overall?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
During the early home draws I'd definitely say B. We were creating silly amounts of good chances and it was mainly ridiculous goal keeping and other factors stopping us winning the games comfortably.

The last few draws we really haven't played well though. Not quite LVG bad though so C overall.

Long Ball

He's done better work with the squad than on the pitch. Big, under performing earners moved on, Rooney hopefully soon.

We've created tonnes of chances, if afew more had gone in we'd be top four, and still have a chance.

Pretty confident we will make quick moves in the summer.

El Jefe

In comparison to LVG its marginally better overall but its 100% much more enjoyable.

In comparison to the teams we're competing with its awful.

We still have a long way to go. I'd even say we're just as far from a PL winning team now as we were last season.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
C) There is no style and cohesion within the team. Sometimes i wonder if they train together with intent and if they are, there is a real lack of understanding with each other.

Yakuza_devils

We played good football in majority of first half of the season. The football deteriorated around December and it became worse and worse. Now we are just lumping and crossing the ball into opposition area without anyone good at getting at the end of it and score.

The most frustrating part is that some of the new managers in the league who also spent equivalent or less money money than Jose manage to implement a syatem in the team and play well. Why is always Man Utd need time and another transfer window to address our problem? We have been saying this for years. We hire Jose to get result (or at least top 4 now not next season).

caid

Oh, but isn't it the reason why we missed out on the 4th? I know what I prefer if given a choice, for sure. 4th.
Not sure i follow your point.
Are you saying we missed out on 4th last season because van gaal relied too much on youth
or saying were going to miss out on 4th this season because Mourinho hasn't gotten good enough performances from them?

I'd agree with the second but not the first fwiw

Salman Bin Ahmed

Not sure i follow your point.
Are you saying we missed out on 4th last season because van gaal relied too much on youth
or saying were going to miss out on 4th this season because Mourinho hasn't gotten good enough performances from them?

I'd agree with the second but not the first fwiw
Nah. Its the former. firstly, he gave chance to youngsters because the senior players kept getting injured. Which shows he was wrong somewhere. The injury record is good this year. Apart from getting injured by tackles, which you cant help either way. The injury front isn't bad compared to muscles injuries of last year.
Secondly, I prefer victory and titles over helping academy guys becoming stars here. This is one of the worlds biggest clubs not a West Ham or Everton of whatever.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I believe Mourinho is the right man for the job, but over the last few months I've started to become really bored of the footy we're playing, it's crap.

He definitely deserves another season, but if this time next season there's been no improvement, I think the club could look elsewhere.

The cynic in me wonders if this is how the Woodward era will be remembered, and ultimately perhaps we need a change from the top in order to sort things out.

Put it this way, would Abramovich be okaying some of the business/wages we've been involved in the last few years? No chance.

But yeah, it's been better than last season, but a strong finish is important to create some momentum.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah. Its the former. firstly, he gave chance to youngsters because the senior players kept getting injured. Which shows he was wrong somewhere. The injury record is good this year. Apart from getting injured by tackles, which you cant help either way. The injury front isn't bad compared to muscles injuries of last year.
Secondly, I prefer victory and titles over helping academy guys becoming stars here. This is one of the worlds biggest clubs not a West Ham or Everton of whatever.
Firstly LVG deliberately kept the squad small to have young players around the perimeter ready to take the chances when needed, and that happened.

Secondly Martial, Shaw and Rashford are no longer random no mark youth players. Martial is one of our most talented players and one that should be starting. Shaw had performed at levels in this league our current LB options have never ever done. And Rashford is good enough to play plenty of games which he has done.

Besides were not even making top 4 without them. So yeah, what a great trade off that is.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I cannot complain after last season's borefest. We have played some good attacking football this season. What's missing is the taking of our chances; we need forward players who can kill off games for us, not constantly miss chances. Overall, out play has been positive and is moving in the right direction so I am happy.

caid

Were not winning any more than we were last season *shrug*
Do agree they got chances mainly due to more established players being injured (or just not performing, his signing were pretty woeful)

Salman Bin Ahmed

Firstly LVG deliberately kept the squad small to have young players around the perimeter ready to take the chances when needed, and that happened.
Is there a quote by LvG which can confirm this?

Secondly Martial, Shaw and Rashford are no longer random no mark youth players. Martial is one of our most talented players and one that should be starting.
Just because he is Marital he should start? He has been incredibly inconsistent this year, there is no reason why he should start games automatically.

Shaw had performed at levels in this league our current LB options have never ever done. And Rashford is good enough to play plenty of games which he has done.

Besides were not even making top 4 without them. So yeah, what a great trade off that is.
So you're saying we should start players based on their reputations? Hmm.. Interesting. I disagree, needless to say. Yes, we're not making the Top 4 but the positive side is at least we know which players we can count on in future to step up, to fight, to battle throughout the season, right? Martial has been avg & Shaw has been poor. We dont need these players if they dont step up soon. And Yes, this is a wonderful trade off wrt the future of our club.

Were not winning any more than we were last season *shrug*
Do agree they got chances mainly due to more established players being injured (or just not performing, his signing were pretty woeful)
True. we're not, but not because of anything except finishing the chances. Once we deal with that, our defense is good. I expect us to be among the top next season.

minoo-utd

Are we getting to use to be without C.L football? Because at another big club the manager might be gone by now! I'm backing Jose but just asking!

Rory 7

I'm happy with the football Jose is trying to play. But I just don't think he has the personnel to play it. And I think he has to take some share of the blame as he didn't get last summer's transfer window right.

Dobbs

The football has improved but given the players we added in summer has the upturn been as steep as you'd expect? The answer has to be no.

I've defended the past few managers on the grounds of players not being good enough(though ultimately they signed them). Situation has reversed now and I think some badly underestimate the talent Jose has at his disposal.

Salman Bin Ahmed

Are we getting to use to be without C.L football? Because at another big club the manager might be gone by now! I'm backing Jose but just asking!
that's an interesting question but 2 managers will inevitably miss out on Top 4, so no point in firing the coaches for 1 bad season, Imo.

Peanut Butter

It was only a few months back this place was littered with posts saying how much everyone looked forward to watching Utd again and that we are improving.

Now we are back to being awful and "not better than Van Gaal's football."

My opinion is that we have played some nice stuff at times this season. We struggle to score goals and our defending is decent.

It will get better because Jose will get players in with the mentality he requires.

DevilRed

Players need to put the ball in the back of the net. The managers tactics are more often than not spot on.

We have dominated most teams at home and been more than enjoyable to watch when on song. Even when we dont score we create loads.

With a big summer transfer window, hopefully we will score more goals and marry it with the dominance shown this year.

mark_a

Recently, things have felt very frustrating and I'd be tempting to mark us down a fair bit. I think the lack of goals has started to make us a look a bit rudderless, leaderless. However, if our finishing had been better in just 2 of those games we drew, we'd have an extra 6 points and with our games in hand things would look a lot more encouraging for Top 4.

I reckon yesterdays result will have made people feel a bit more positive, it definitely has with me. But, there's nothing more frustrating than being in OT and seeing us look like we're run out of ideas in minute 60 with the score at 0-0. It has felt like a dip recently, that Everton game for example. We only just got something out of that.

I just really want us to be more clinical, we really flatter visiting defences - I'm sick of that.

Blind

No cohesion, no style, you do wonder what goes on in training.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Broadly speaking, nothing wrong with the football we've played. No Sunderland player even touched the ball before we got our second yesterday.

Our finishing has been utterly atrocious though. Abysmal.

People complain that we've looked out of ideas recently, that wasn't the case for much of the season though. Clearly the bore draws got to the confidence of our players and they started playing within themselves. I do not think we were rubbish for most of the season, at least apart from within the penalty area.

In 2012/13 did we play much better than we're playing now? However, we had Van Persie who scored 30 and Hernandez who got 18, plus a lot of others chipped in too. If we had more than one guy scoring goals we'd have won at least 10 more points.

The only thing I am annoyed at is that we keep missing free headers and one on ones! Even yesterday Pogba's volley from less than 10 yards goes over, Zlatan fluffs up Martial's ball over the top. When was the last time we scored 4 or 5 times in a game? Given the chances we make we should be smashing teams.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Option E)

It's even worse than Van Gaal. At least with Louis, you were actually tuning up to watch us play football (or whatever you call last seasons crap). Now any game against half decent opposition, we're tuning into see the other team play and us trying to stop them. Like some dumb training session.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Our approach to big games can certainly be heavily criticised.

Minimalist

We're dire to watch 80% of the time. We have the odd exciting match.

I'm still struggling to see how it's miles better than last season but whatever (folks will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong).

Fracture90

Not tbh. We had a small patch where we played really nicely but the more the time passes the more I believe it was just a shockwave that usually occurs when you change the manager.

Fracture90

We're dire to watch 80% of the time. We have the odd exciting match.

I'm still struggling to see how it's miles better than last season but whatever (folks will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong).
You're not wrong tbh. Last season we played a really dull style of football, but it was a style nonetheless, we had a plan.

Now we just look clueless when with the ball at our feet, no attacking gameplan whatsoever.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
No still think it should be much better, its better than last year but still not what it should be.

Sp00ks11

Mourinho is currently failing.

If nothing changes after he reshapes this team this summer then he has failed.

We have spent so much money but so much of the squad needs to go, its shocking really.

redNATION

We could end up with less points than last season, despite blowing yet another fortune, including £90m on one player. It's not good enough, and setting up with 6 defenders, with your wingers playing as secondary full backs, is embarrassing. Smaller teams go to the Emirates and the Etihad with more ambition, and some of them have actually taken 3 points from these big teams this season.

Enigma_87

You know who
This season is in transition that was pretty evident. I'm happy with us moving forward under Mourinho.

What I'm not happy is our bench and how crap at finishing are our strikers.

willhse456

I don't really mind Mourinho setting up the way he has this season, not really his team, and he's still learning who he can trust. I think next season if he sets up like today, in a lot of the big games, then I will be quite disappointed. Especially if we go and sign players like Griezmann and Mbappe, as it wouldn't suit them at all!

Stactix

Second half of the season has just been garbage.

Feel like I did last season after most matches. Disappointed, bored feckless and 30% less battery on my fecking phone.

I'm excited for next season but I don't expect much different when it comes to the big games even when at Home.
I just don't enjoy watching us attack, it's so fecking predictable and dull to watch. Pass to wing - pass back - pass a dozen times and end up on other wing - pass back - lose ball repeat.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Mourinho certainly needs to change his tactics against good opposition. We should play like a top level team rather than a team looking to just defend in the hope of nicking a win with a single goal. That is the job of lower tier teams.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes. It could be better but it could be Moyes and Vangle so of course I'm happy as it's progress.