Are you happy?

How happy are you with our transfer dealings this Summer? (Players in and out)

• Total voters

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's hard to complain too much in a summer when you've kept De Gea and signed Depay, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Martial and Schneiderlin.

But I think our attack is still lightweight and I can see it continue to disappoint, which is a shame.

Still, that is a lot of players in one window.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
A very thin squad. 19 senior outfield players and given our injuries over the last 2 seasons (last year without CL football) if we get the same amount this year we could be in serious trouble. We're also going to be relying on two lads (Memphis as Martial) to hit the ground running when really they should both be being eased into the squad and Memphis looks a long way away to date. We needed to sort the DDG situation, sort a CB, get another more experienced winger and a more experienced striker. Not a good window imho.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Goalkeepers
1. De Gea
20. Romero
50. Johnstone

Defenders
CBs:
4. Jones
5. Rojo
12. Smalling
17. Blind
33. McNair

LB:
23. Shaw (+ Rojo/Blind)

RBs:
25. Valencia
36. Darmian

Midfielders
Central:
16. Carrick
21. Herrera
28. Schneiderlin
31. Schweinsteiger

Wide:
7. Memphis
8. Mata
18. Young
35. Lingard
44. Pereira

Forwards
9. Martial
10. Rooney
19. Wilson
27. Fellaini
Just because some crazy man decides that a midfielder is actually a CB, a midfielder is a actually a striker and an AM is actually a winger that doesn't actually makes it true. Anyway if we're fecking big time than I hope we end up 5th so we'll get rid of philosophy once and for all.

Browniee

Louis Van Troll said we had a big surprise lined up. He lied = Dick

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm very worried. We are one injury away from disaster in most areas:

GK: If Romero is injured or given a red card, we will only have ginger Sam. I don't think Valdes will ever play again for LVG and DDG's head isn't in the right place. Let's just hope he can be professional and play for his position in the Spain squad. This position will all depend on how DDG reacts to not being able to go to Madrid.

Defence: We are ok on fullback positions but if Smalling gets an injury (which he has been known to in the past) then we are quite screwed. I don't trust Jones, Blackett, McNair or Blind in CB without Smalling there and Rojo is rash and will get sent off or make loads of mistakes (as he does). I think Blind is doing ok at the moment but that has a lot to do with Smalling levelling up like a Pokemon and putting in tremendous performances as well as the fact that we haven't really come across a team that looks half decent in attack (bar Swansea, who scored two past us).

Midfield: This is a position we are fine in.

Attack: I don't rate Rooney at the moment but heaven forbid he gets injured because I can't see Martial (yet) or Wilson leading the line for us in the absence of Rooney. It's strange now because Rooney can play completely shit and still always be a guaranteed starter, unless Martial hits the ground running like Gomez of Liverpool.

All in all, I know I will be shitting my pants if any of our players hit the deck...

rpitchfo

I think even the most optimistic fan would say we are way too light at CF and CB. I just can't see how lvg thinks we will be able to get through a season with those numbers!

LARulz

We have weakened our defence and strike force. Got a ridiculously messy goalkeeper situation.

Sorting out 1 area of the pitch and neglecting the other 3 is poor.

Ringo 07

We've signed 2 of the best kids on the planet.......we've signed the German captain and 2 other very solid players while managing to hold onto the 2nd or 3rd best keeper on the planet for another season

For the last 7 years of his reign from 2006 till 2013 when he retired, Ferguson only made 4 top quality signings in Van Persie (one season), Carrick, De Gea and Smalling....Tevez came on loan during those 7 years briefly also.......Not to forget that Moyes was only able to land Fellaini in his first summer despite having 200 million burning a hole in his back pocket...........So this summer we've bought 5 real quality signings and soem fans are still complaining.....Van Gaal is no doubt building a squad that will be challenging for the title in 1 or 2 season

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
Manchester United with only one proven recognised striker. That's just unheard of. I hope it doesn't happen but if Rooney has an injury that keeps him out for a few weeks, then do we really expect Martial or Wilson to lead the line? Fellani is good option for plan B but not to lead the line for a club such as ours. So not happy.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Great start, poor finish. We needed another attacker (before we let Januzaj and Hernandez leave). Martial is potential, and maybe a good signing -- I have no fecking idea, haven't seen him play (barely even heard of him).

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
We've signed 2 of the best kids on the planet.......we've signed the German captain and 2 other very solid players while managing to hold onto the 2nd or 3rd best keeper on the planet for another season

For the last 7 years of his reign from 2006 till 2013 when he retired, Ferguson only made 4 top quality signings in Van Persie (one season), Carrick, De Gea and Smalling....Tevez came on loan during those 7 years briefly also.......Not to forget that Moyes was only able to land Fellaini in his first summer despite having 200 million burning a hole in his back pocket...........So this summer we've bought 5 real quality signings and soem fans are still complaining.....Van Gaal is no doubt building a squad that will be challenging for the title in 1 or 2 season
But we had depth in the squad in those years. We've just shipped out half or squad.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
We have weakened our defence and strike force. Got a ridiculously messy goalkeeper situation.

Sorting out 1 area of the pitch and neglecting the other 3 is poor.
I don't agree that our defence is weaker. We sorted out the biggest issue which was the right back position.

van Persie

I wouldn't say our squad this season is that much better than last season. We started the transfer window great & was really optimistic but in the end I still think we should've got another striker, right winger and sorted the goalkeeper situation. Oh well. I'm happy we cleared out deadwood at least. Still alot of work to do, squad is unbalanced & we lack depth & quality in some positions.

6/10

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
2-3 players short for me.

Still its a big opportunity for the likes of McNair,Wilson,Pereira and maybe some other youngsters.

Also disappointing Januzaj has been loaned out.

VanGaalEra

I'd say we've done well with the players we've brought in and De Gea is still here.

One downside was letting Januzaj go and not replacing him, bit light up top!

Moonred

Disappointed with the Januzaj loan. Rooney's form worries me and thus hoped for another forward. Otherwise a very good window. Early work was fantastic.

Alias
We needed a CF as well, if Martial is a RW.

Also a CB.

Disappointed that Januzaj got loaned (have no idea why?) but happy that DDG stays providing he plays.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Is Martial really that? I mean really?

Jev

No, not happy at all. I don't understand why we've decimated our squad like this when we're in four tournaments after having such an inflated squad last year. I thought we should have kept RvP and Januzaj, and now that we shipped them, we should have bought another forward. We also should have bought a defender.

ADM, RvP and Falcao disappointed our expectations last year but if I'm comparing how good I thought we were at this date last year with how I'm feeling now, then I was more optimistic a year ago.

It started so well but I'm feeling very underwhelmed now. Some seriously puzzling decisions.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Best transfer window we've had since SAF left.

Has it left us with a perfect squad? No, there are still glaring deficiencies that everyone can see.

However, I think that has more to do with the amount of work we had to do rather than how well we actually did that work this summer.

Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Depay, Darmian, Martial and a whole heap of outgoing transfers is a lot to contend with in one transfer window. Expecting a CB, another CF and some superstar attacker on top of all that was unrealistic, I think.

I think we're stronger than we were last year and I think we've gained ground on some of our rivals (particularly Arsenal and Chelsea, whose had worse transfer windows than us imo). That's progress. Maybe not as much as we'd ideally like but then we don't live in an ideal world.

I don't think we'll win the league with what we have but that's hardly the end of the world. I can see us pushing for 2nd or 3rd though, which would be fine for this year.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Less than a month ago, it was looking like our best transfer window for a long time. We were two additions away from looking like title contenders.

The past 2 or 3 days have been chaos. We needed a striker with just having Rooney and Hernandez. We've let Hernandez go, so now we really need one more in addition to Martial, but that just won't happen. I'm looking forward to seeing Martial, but the fee is bananas.

We also need a right winger, but instead of keeping Januzaj as an option there, he's gone out on loan. Going on loan abroad seems to be a bit of a kiss of death for United players in recent times. I can't think of one who has come back and played on.

Then all the talk of Rojo being up for sale, and the De Gea nonsense all in the last 24 hours, it's just been bizzare and has attracted unnecessary negative attention to the club. Thankfully there's an international break, so it can all die down a bit.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
in the squad list that Damien posted,

weak forward line,
wide players are weak,
Midfield is sound,
Keeper is sound if De Gea plays,
Defence is just ok but injuries and we would be in trouble

SirAF

Ageist
Quite happy, yes. Four signings that have improved our 11 directly, and one big exciting gamble. Oh, The Snake is staying also at the same time as we inadvertedly have managed to royally piss off Madrid.

LARulz

I don't agree that our defence is weaker. We sorted out the biggest issue which was the right back position.
Granted defence is a bit debatable but we are weak there still. We got bailed out a lot last season because of De Gea

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I love the Depay, Darmian and Schneiderlin signings but, are squad is a bit thin especially in attacking areas and we somehow still have two GKs who do not want to play for us.

Sam

Less than a month ago, it was looking like our best transfer window for a long time. We were two additions away from looking like title contenders.

The past 2 or 3 days have been chaos. We needed a striker with just having Rooney and Hernandez. We've let Hernandez go, so now we really need one more in addition to Martial, but that just won't happen. I'm looking forward to seeing Martial, but the fee is bananas.

We also need a right winger, but instead of keeping Januzaj as an option there, he's gone out on loan
. Going on loan abroad seems to be a bit of a kiss of death for United players in recent times. I can't think of one who has come back and played on.

Then all the talk of Rojo being up for sale, and the De Gea nonsense all in the last 24 hours, it's just been bizzare and has attracted unnecessary negative attention to the club. Thankfully there's an international break, so it can all die down a bit.
When you put it like that. It is all a bit mental :lol:

Browniee

Mental we only have Rooney as our most experienced striker. Without doubt going to come back to kick us up the arse

Hoof the ball

On the bright side, there is now ample chance for Pereira, McNair, Lingard, Wilson etc. If you give the kids some responsibility to step up their game, there's every chance of finding our new star from within the squad.

Von Mistelroum

I'm happy with our signings for sure, I think that they are all well thought out signings which will be a great fit. I'm really excited for the futures of Memphis and Martial and I fully expect them to start lighting the league up within a year or so and I genuinely think that Martial will be a world beater. I'm also really happy with our Schmidfield and Darmian. Schneiderlin will continue to grow and become huge for us I think.

On to the negatives then, De Gea's move falling through has really left us in a spot as I don't foresee him simply getting back into the swing of things here. I suspect that LVG will actually marginalise him and keep him out of the first team set-up, even after it has become very clear that Romero is a calamity keeper (and it will). I also expect to see Blind have a rough time at CB over the course of the season and I don't think Rojo or Jones are the answer. Finally, we really could do with a Right sided player who can cause defenses problems. Mata is fairly toothless there so teams only really need to focus on stopping the threat from the left.

All in all, not a bad window in many ways but it really should have been the window when we progressed to a championship challenging side and I don't see that at all. We shipped out our backups in attack and have left ourselves short in defense also (and potentially very, very short on class in goal too). I think top 4 is the target again otherwise we'd have tried harder to improve, I just hope that it's not the target permanently.

Edit: I don't think Lingard, Wilson or McNair are good enough.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We've got a pissed off DDG as GK, a midfielder as first choice CB and no real right wingers. The funny thing is that we had all that but decided to either loan them or sell them on cheap

Leg-End

Positives for me are:

- this is a chance for Pereira to make a breakthrough (and I think/hope some of LVG's decision making is based on this lad kicking on).
- got rid of some deadwood that's been hanging around for too long, namely Evans.
- the new signings are a great blend, if Depay and Martial work out then we will have a scary young attack within even a year or two.
- plenty of money for a January signing or two should we need one (we will).
- Mega money still in the coffers for next summer when major talents are more likely to be available.

We improved the core but significantly weakened the depth. The trouble with depth is no team gives a shit about it until you need it, then they moan about it and blame everything on it, what's more bizzare is its self inflicted because we didn't need to loan out Adnan or sell Hernandez. So yeah it's alright on paper, if we stay injury free we will do fine but if LVG starts moaning about tiredness come the new year then he needs a slap across his angry face.

Hoof the ball

On the bright side, there is now ample chance for Pereira, McNair, Lingard, Wilson etc. If you give the kids some responsibility to step up their game, there's every chance of finding our new star from within the squad.
As for experience, remember what van Gaal did with a bunch of Ajax kids who were too inexperienced to dominate Europe......

the hea

I wanted a right winger above anything else but since I can't think of a single world class player in that position who might have been available I'm not to unhappy at the moment. I'd rather we play Mata on the right than panic buy some mediocre player for a huge fee.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Fairly content with the window overall but we're leaving a lot up to how much/how quickly Depay and Martial can make an impact. So much attacking talent has left in the last two years and these two are the only real forwards we've added to the squad. It's a lot of expectation on two young players, and even if they turn out to be top drawer you have to expect a couple difficult seasons.

A centre back should have been purchased too.

I am excited to see Wilson/Pereira/Lingard get game time though, assuming none of them went out on loan just before the window shut.

SammyUnited_83

2 short for me.

Desperately needed a striker as it is obvious he doesn't rate Wilson, unless we have someone else in the reserves?

Should have kept Adnan, can't believe he has gone after being a main starter since Villa.

Can thus squad honestly compete when the games come thick and fast, our bench was already short of options, thought we would take a punt on Pato.

If we had a no suspension / injury cheat we would be fine but I suspect at some point this season, our line ups are going to look odd.

dave2528

I'm very pleased with us signing Memphis, Darmian, and Schneid-steiger Hydra. I'm a little iffy on the Blind @ CB situation, not sold on Rojo, and I'm thoroughly annoyed with the mess that we've gotten ourselves into in the keeper dept.

So...yes and no.

Nogbadthebad

In the main I'm quite content.

Then I read a few threads here, realize we apparently have what amounts to a pub team with Mike Bassett running the place and am depressed for a day or two.