g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Are you happy?

How happy are you with our transfer dealings this Summer? (Players in and out)

• Total voters

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
So. So. Some good signings. Some good clearance of some players. Some not so good I think. Still a bit thing up top. Keeper situation is a complete mess. Not sure overall we are any closer to being title contenders then we have been the last two seasons.

Jev

Is that guy blaming van gaal for the transfer not going through? Wow.
No, I'm not. And it doesn't matter whose fault it was. The point is that DDG is probably pissed at still being here and not exactly looking forward to playing for us.

Kag

For all the talk of the "glaring holes" in the squad, what people are really referring to is two players. In truth, that's it.

A centre half to play alongside Smalling and a right sided forward to compete with Mata and people would be ecstatic. Realistically, it's something we can look towards over the next two windows.

prath92

How many games did he start after that?
How many games did you expect a 19 years old fourth choice Striker to start? He started at least 10 games in the league and at least 6-7 games as subs. 19 years old and playing close to 20 games in all competitions in your first full season is big achievement.

wiz4231

Hell no, you send out 1 of the highly talented young player at the club because you can't give him the time to develop and then spend £36M on a highly talented young player to give him time to develop at the club, are you insane???

prath92

No, I'm not. And it doesn't matter whose fault it was. The point is that DDG is probably pissed at still being here and not exactly looking forward to playing for us.
He wouldn't be pissed at us would he? He would be pissed at mendes/Madrid for their screw up. We did what he wanted. If he is pissed at us then that has got nothing to do with Woodward or van gaal

Browniee

Glad the deadwood has gone including Januzai. If he turns t to be a world beater we can get him back. Think we've been dry bummed in the last signing. He's gonna have to be pretty amazing to prove otherwise. Overall 5/10.
:drool:

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Overall? No I don't think we can be.

The early business was really really good. We were efficient, got the deals done and they were given the tour to start to settle down. Major ticks in the box there.

Then came the quiet period where it seemed everyone bar LVG could see we needed more in attack especially a striker.

And then yesterday happened. To let Hernandez and Januzaj go with no replacements lined up was ridiculous. And then the DDG debacle. Where we've ended up with a player who wants to leave, no replacement keeper and ultimately we lose out on £30m + DDG replacement potentially.

The good business shouldn't be forgotten but the late business and lack of other signings show where we are at. And that's a team that could have a good cup run and will have to scrap again for the top 4! Improvement on last season? I think not.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm slightly disappointed we've loaned Adnan out, and not got a proper De Gea replacement in but we've strengthened the midfield with Schneirdelin and Schweinsteiger, got a proper right back in Darmian and two young players with potential in Memphis and Martial so I suppose my score will be 7/10.

Really hope the likes of Lingaard and Pereira can get a few games in this new trimmed squad as well.

SalfordRed1960

Very happy. Ignoring the fun of DDG, Ramos, Pedro ...etc. I was very happy with the early business.

Wasn't sure about Schweinie but turned out to be quite a good deal, never heard of Darmian and has been a blessing, Depay needs to step up - but appears to have lots of talent and Schneiderlin appears to have left off where he was at Southampton. So all in all good business.

Do we need decent striker, undoubtedly YES, but maybe Rooney will get his act together.

Do we need a CB, never been convinced. Not too sure there are many quality CBs around.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Hell no, you send out 1 of the highly talented young player at the club because you can't give him the time to develop and then spend £36M on a highly talented young player to give him time to develop at the club, are you insane???
Possible explanation would be - Januzaj is most likely an attacking midfielder who was tried as a striker but didn't work out. We have a lot of cover for attacking midfield. Our weakness was up front and bringing in Martial may help us fill that hole. And next season, when Januzaj comes back, we will have two bright, young attacking options.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think we have a plan in place for January, so it's a case of how well we do with what we have until then.

I fear we're a couple attacking injuries away from having a really inexperienced and unbalanced attack who it is unfair to burden with the pressures of delivering for MUFC on a game-by-game basis.

Players like Depay, Martial and Wilson are supposed to be blooded in an experienced side, but if Rooney and Mata are injured, they could well be our forward line, which is a concern.

Keeping De Gea raises the window from a 5 to a 7 for me, though.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I think LVG has taken a huge gamble and left on light in attack, if it works out he will be considered a football genius, if it fails I think fans will be calling for his head by the end of the season.

If DDG signs a new contract that would be like signing a new player!

Hopefully Martial can can force us to pay those extra fees!

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Incredibly happy. Depay, Schneirdelin, Bastian, Romero, Darmian and Martial. All for a net spend of 43 million.

settembrini

We got most things right (good signings, tons of deadwood out the door) but I think the decision to loan Januzaj was a really poor one.

I'm also amazed we couldn't force Valdes out. He's clearly not a desirable keeper but I would have thought we could find at least one sucker.

wiz4231

Possible explanation would be - Januzaj is most likely an attacking midfielder who was tried as a striker but didn't work out. We have a lot of cover for attacking midfield. Our weakness was up front and bringing in Martial may help us fill that hole. And next season, when Januzaj comes back, we will have two bright, young attacking options.
How many attackers do we have? We was already short and he thought it was a good idea to send 1 out. Lingard is still at the club, Januzaj is out on loan, ridiculous. Where do you think Januzaj going to play for Dortmund, ST, #10 or Winger, I'd put my money on winger, players we need more off tbh.

prath92

For me United has always been 2 or 3 top players in a position, plus a mixture of talented non world class players and then youth prospects. We have been the same even this time. We can probably say that we have one of the best keepers in the league (de gea) one of the best CBs in the league (smalling), one of the best DMs in the league (Morgan), then we have quality players in Bastian carrick Herrera, Rooney(yes I don't believe he has lost it), Jones, rojo, Valdes Blind. Then talented young players like Shaw McNair depay martial Wilson pereira lingard. Squad players like young Fellaini Valencia romero

We had lots of injuries and still achieved what we considered as objective. I would be disappointed if we don't achieve our challenge and winning a cup objective. It's a competitive squad.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The crux of the issue is we've signed enough players since Van Gaal joined to more or less build a squad from scratch...and yet despite that we can't even field a first team without players in the wrong positions, or who aren't good enough.

It will also be interesting to see what happens when Rooney gets injured, or Smalling (I would also say Jones, but guess what?)...and by "interesting", what I actually mean is "painful"

We all know right now, more or less for a fact, that Rooney will get injured at some point, and Carrick will be playing at centreback next to Blind at some point.

At the same time, no one, including any of our goalkeepers, knows who our goalkeeper is.

When you spend a quarter of a billion pounds to "fix" your squad, signing an entire new squad in the process, it is not in my opinion excusable to end up with a massive mess instead of a squad. You should have a squad of players, or failing that at least have assembled some kind of suicidal Fifa Ultimate Team

kopviolator

I'm reasonably happy with our incomings. But our goalkeeper situation and with Rooney as our only seasoned striker I can't imagine we'll do more than compete for top four. And that was not the plan. I'm slowly but surely losing faith in LVG.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I am not 'happy' because I don't see us scoring lots of goals unless Martial-Memphis give miraculous instant impact. So, chances of being in contention for title are lesser as of now. A top class striker upfront would have changed it. I am not so much fussed with right winger gap, it is a 25 goal guaranteed striker I was hoping for. That said, such strikers are not available for transfer in abundance and don't think any world class striker moved clubs? So, it was going to be tough to get one. Otherwise I am satisfied with window. It certainly isn't disastrous as some think. We sorted CM area, DDG is still here and defense is OK too. Not going for a big name CB means LvG has confidence in McNair for future which is good news.

Roboc7

Started very well but in the end can't understand why we let so many attacking players go and haven't added at least one more.

I really do feel this window is the beginning of the end for LVG, either we finish outside top four and he gets sacked or we tread water in fourth, need 3-5 new players and a big transfer window and with him looking to retire at. The end of that season how can he be the man to take the club forward.

Simbo

I'm happy, close to very happy but will edge on the side of caution and just say happy.

Finally sorted our midfield out, sorted our RB, kept one of the best keepers in the world for the time being (he will play, if he ever wants to move to another top side anywhere he HAS to commit to us and give it everything) and signed a potential future star up front.

I'd be happier if we signed a proven striker to come in and push Rooney out the team but on the whole we are a stronger side than we were last year.

There would be less drama if we didn't lose our last game, the caf always stays in a constant state of meltdown on the back of a loss.

stepic

Given we added potentially 4 players who will be long term regulars, I'd say I'm very happy. We didn't do everything but clearly the players we wanted weren't available. Yes we're probably one or two short but this year isn't a title winning year, even with Pedro or Otamendi.

Next year maybe well get our Bale or Muller and everyone will be ecstatic.

RedorDead21

For all the talk of the "glaring holes" in the squad, what people are really referring to is two players. In truth, that's it.

A centre half to play alongside Smalling and a right sided forward to compete with Mata and people would be ecstatic. Realistically, it's something we can look towards over the next two windows.
But Kag a CB has really been a priority for some time when you think of the injury proneness of our preferred 2 which ever 2 they may be.
Given City brought in Otamendi who was available after a cracker of a season and no obvious movement from us for him, Stones or Marquinos (who Chelsea reportedly went for today)....its a massive risk to rely on what we have there. Say we get 2 injuries which we do every season in that department. You're auto looking at another struggle for top 4. Especially given our goal stats of late!

The Man Himself

One in my lifetime. I'm not ruling it out but I'm not exactly depending on it either.
Without knowing your age, it should still be at least 2? Rooney and Ronaldo? No matter how shit caf thinks Rooney is right now, he was instant hit at 18 when joined, did very good for us all these years and all said and done will go down as all time top scorer of club in all probability.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Without knowing your age, it should still be at least 2? Rooney and Ronaldo? No matter how shit caf thinks Rooney is right now, he was instant hit at 18 when joined, did very good for us all these years and all said and done will go down as all time top scorer of club in all probability.
Shaw too.

NoPace

Happy with transfers, but not with our football. We've signed what I think will be long-term answers at the LW and 9 positions in Memphis and Martial and some solid players with 4-6 years of prime football in Darmian and Schneiderlin. Schweinsteiger was a good short-term gamble as well.

We failed to sign the LCB and RW we need, but made massive, long-term upgrades at LW, ST, RB and DM. Loaning Januzaj was weird. But if there's no option to buy for Dortmund and if De Gea stays, I'd give our summer transfers a B+.

matt23

The biggest worry is our two best goalkeepers are probably a bit annoyed to even be here. The Pedro thing was a bit of a mess whatever spin we put on it, I just assumed we were after a proper left footed forward while we messed about trying everyone but our best playmaker at 10.

Really happy with the players we did actually sign, personally would have given Bastian a miss but can't grumble much about having a player like that around the squad. The deal for this new kid sounds like we can't really lose to be fair.

The Man Himself

Shaw too.
Yea but early days. I assumed his point was those who went on to be big names in football afterwards since joining us as teenagers. Shaw is deffo a candidate to be one in future, I agree.

acnumber9

They were clearly going to be good players. Neither were good enough to do what we needed to challenge for the title.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I'm 33. The player was Ryan Giggs. Rooney scored 11 league goals at that age and Ronaldo wasn't exactly in his pomp yet either.
It was clear Rooney and Ronald were ready for the big stage. rooney was great when he first arrived at 18. Ronaldo was hit and miss, but again I think he was great and more than ready.

What about shaw btw?

NoPace

2 out of 11 players is pretty big, though. It's hard to see us winning the title or getting through tough CL ties, playing this style of football with no pace out right and requiring one of Jones/Rojo/Blind to be good enough at LCB to get us the tight, 1-0 and 2-0 or 2-1 victories we will very likely be requiring week after week.

We have very little margin for error. We just saw what a single weak spot (Romero) at GK can lead to against Swansea. The other 10 players did enough to get at least a draw, if not a win, but one weak performance and we lost.

In a broader sense, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea all look wobbly, so we should have top 4 again. I will get frustrated and short-term-y often during the season, but taking a longer view, it's all about Memphis and Martial looking like the next Rooney/Ronaldo up front, Schneiderlin getting comfortable on the ball and Shaw and Smalling taking steps forward.

Dreaded

We have signed last seasons best defensive midfielder, a weak position of ours for years.

Added Schweinsteiger as backup in midfield!

A very shrewd LB signing in Darmian, that looks like great business already.

Then we have added two of the best and most exciting young attacking wide players in the world in Memphis and Martial.

Then to top it all off he have kept one of, if not, the best keepers in the world.

How can anyone turn all that into a negative????

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

We still need a striker and you are right, most people would be happy. It just seems we've lacked the ambition to fix things this transfer window. What do the club expect of LVG this season? To challenge for things? Why have we only one proven goalscoring striker in the squad? It don't make sense in any day and age. We've come off an injury jinxed season and we're taking such a needless risk.