Are you happy?

How happy are you with our transfer dealings this Summer? (Players in and out)

• Total voters

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Nope. Three seasons and massive spend on, we still are miles away from a title challenge, forget winning it.

Arsenal and Chelsea haven't even strengthened and we still are ways away from them after signing another 6 players. It's mind boggling, really.

Either VG pulls off a miracle, or he gets the can.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
They were clearly going to be good players. Neither were good enough to do what we needed to challenge for the title.
Ah OK. If you meant them being good enough to win us title by themselves alone at 19 then maybe not. But then, we were undergoing a transformation when both Roon-Ron came and squad wasn't in greatest shape. Also was Giggs so pivotal for us to win title first time? I mean he was part of the success but not THE reason for title?

red_devil83

For what we've spent and where we started...no.

GK - weaker, even if DDG stays and plays. Romero looks tragically bad based on Sunday
Defence - Improved. Darmian is on a different planet to Valencia
C. Midfield - Massively improved. Best we've had since we won the CL
Wide/FW - Weaker since we let Januzaj go on loan. Break even if he stayed.
Strikers - We have Rooney...so yea...massively weaker

Overall, probably weaker, which is crazy considering last week we were stronger. Shipped out a lot deadwood, which is good but we should've signed some proven forward player.

Sereques

LVG took a lot of risk, I love it when people take risk. You work hard to prove them wrong while they look down on you. I remember when we bought Berbatov and we had Ronaldo, Tevez, and Rooney. I thought we had a frightening attack and we lost our first game to Liverpool.

If he succeed, they will tell tales about him and how he use two young player to wreck the league. If he fails, he will lose his job. For his sake and ours, I hope he succeeds.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm happy I've been unable to check the caf all day and so just get to check in and see what's actually happened rather than following the bullshit speculation all day.

Kopral Jono

We may have gotten rid of one too many deadwood. Relatively happy, but could be happier if we'd have kept Januzaj.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Overall I think our business has been decent in what has been a very difficult summer for the big clubs to do business. Most big clubs have done relatively little as a result.

SammyUnited_83

You can play 11 players. We play with one striker. We probably were willing to let him go on loan to develop himself if we got another striker but we didn't and he is here. Don't see where you get the 'he doesn't rate him' part.
If he rated him that much, why would he let him go on loan? To develop... Don't buy that, we wanted another striker.

acnumber9

It was clear Rooney and Ronald were ready for the big stage. rooney was great when he first arrived at 18. Ronaldo was hit and miss, but again I think he was great and more than ready.

What about shaw btw?
Ready to play but they weren't ready to help make the difference for title challengers. Throw either at that age into our current team and do you think they would make a big difference to us?

Shaw is 20 and is starting to show his worth after a year settling. I wouldn't say he made a big impact on us at 19.

0161_UNITED

I'm happy I've been unable to check the caf all day and so just get to check in and see what's actually happened rather than following the bullshit speculation all day.
Do you get the honour to <\thread> the Twitter thread @Rado_N? Now that should be delightful for you! And half the Caf! The window has slammed shut! Jim White even said so!

stepic

2 out of 11 players is pretty big, though. It's hard to see us winning the title or getting through tough CL ties, playing this style of football with no pace out right and requiring one of Jones/Rojo/Blind to be good enough at LCB to get us the tight, 1-0 and 2-0 or 2-1 victories we will very likely be requiring week after week.

We have very little margin for error. We just saw what a single weak spot (Romero) at GK can lead to against Swansea. The other 10 players did enough to get at least a draw, if not a win, but one weak performance and we lost.

In a broader sense, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea all look wobbly, so we should have top 4 again. I will get frustrated and short-term-y often during the season, but taking a longer view, it's all about Memphis and Martial looking like the next Rooney/Ronaldo up front, Schneiderlin getting comfortable on the ball and Shaw and Smalling taking steps forward.
Rome wasn't built in a day. We've improved the team over last season. Last seasons team was better than the year before. Stepping stones. It takes time to build a team and win titles, particularly when you have other rich teams like our league.

Devil may care

Mixed bag.

The Keeper situation is a mess, I just hope LvG has the humility to man manage De Gea back between the sticks, it's mutually beneficial and both need to realize that.

The back 4 is playing well and hopefully Rojo and McNair will push on this season, while our fullbacks look great. I'd have liked to see another CB come in but we'll see how it goes.

The midfield is not "sorted" as some claim, it's patched up with 2 players who are mostly sharing halfs to try and deal with the age and injuries. Schneiderlin is the kind of DM we have needed and is a great addition but next summer we'll need a younger creative CM who can play 90 minutes twice a week added to the mix IMO.

The forward line is threadbare. I love the signing's of Memphis and Martial but they are the type of young up and comers you blood into an attack that already has quality, instead we are going to be relying on them to both get double figures if we are to make top 4. Mata on the right drives me nuts and Rooney is a spent force IMO. As for the cover? Ander will probably struggle to get games now and he's a better shout at #10 than Rooney, Young adds very little creatively and poses no goal threat, and Fellaini is a last ditch punt effort.

Fortunately Liverpool and Arsenal look as holey as we do so it should be a nail biting fight for those other 2 top 4 spots.

acnumber9

Ah OK. If you meant them being good enough to win us title by themselves alone at 19 then maybe not. But then, we were undergoing a transformation when both Roon-Ron came and squad wasn't in greatest shape. Also was Giggs so pivotal for us to win title first time? I mean he was part of the success but not THE reason for title?
No but if you were picking one player at 19 to put in your team for a year it would have to be Giggs for me. Even at that he wouldn't make us title challengers.

SammyUnited_83

Remember when Woody said our squad would be deep enough to compete.

What the feck happened.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Ready to play but they weren't ready to help make the difference for title challengers. Throw either at that age into our current team and do you think they would make a big difference to us?

Shaw is 20 and is starting to show his worth after a year settling. I wouldn't say he made a big impact on us at 19.
Absolutely. I have often said that an 18 year old Rooney is better than the Rooney we have now and add an 18 year old Ronaldo to our right wing instead of Mata (who is a number 10) would be an upgrade too IMO.

I can sort of see what you are getting at, and tbh what I said wasn't meant for Shaw, or Wilson, it was more aimed at this Martial lad. I think for 36m he should be ready, and I expect the Rooney/Ronaldo levels (at the same age they joined) for the price tag he comes with. I guess we'll find out.

Smores

Our main problem has been the attack for two seasons now and its not been significantly improved, I can't really be happy given that's the case.

I do think we've made decent signings but they weren't necessarily the right ones at this time. I just think if we stuck with the 433 that was working brought in Schneiderlin, Darmian and splashed the cash on a top striker we'd be far better off.

Skåre Willoch

I am both happy and utterly confused at the same time.

First - Dave stays. I don't know how to feel about this. At all. We were in a lose/lose/lose situation.

A: We sell him for a ridiculous fee early on, De Gea is happy. We're stuck with Romero, which makes no one happy. It just makes everyone sad.

B: We sell him for a proper fee on DLD, and get Keylor Navas. De Gea is happy, Keylor is not. He has been seemingly clear he had no intention or desire to leave Madrid at all. Either way we're stuck with a goalie who has no interest in playing for us.

C: We keep De Gea and block a transfer. We're stuck with a goalie who has his heart and mind in Madrid, for months already. No fee at all, and quite possibly a careless attitude towards the coming 40-50 games of the season.

Best case scenario right now, is if we give Dave an ultimatum of sorts. Sign a new contract, or remain waterboy until the end of the season, and be a GK coach in the Euros. Now, before you chop my hands and head off for this kind of morale, we have a bait in the end. Set the release clause to £35 mill. Real get their goalie, De Gea and his witch gets to live out their dreams of being booed every other weekend by their own fans, and we get a proper fee for him. This, IMHO, would be a win/win/win for all parts, and maybe this is the way it should've been handled from the very second we knew he was going anyways.

Second - where is the statement from Ed concerning this horrible farse?
Real have already posted a ridiculous statement putting all the blame on United. We had one stance from the very beginning, and as far as i understand, that remained the same stand in the very bitter end. "Pay up or get lost". They did, eventually, but they were to late and to incompetent to make it through to the other side. And, again, we would lose out no matter what.

Ed needs to step up and give us a proper explanation of the course of events. Maybe not to save face in the media, and to save the club's reputation from soaring, but i feel he owes US, the supporters, a proper explanation. We all wonder what the heck was going on, and the only explanation we've got i from the "bad guys". Keeping his mouth shut is not the way to go at least.

Third - What ever happened to the "Don't worry, we have bigger targets. The Pedro thing will eventually be forgotten" statement?

While I'm actually not too displeased with the transfer window, i can't help wonder what the heck happened here. Did he say it to save face? Did he actually have plans/serious conversations with any bigger targets at all? Or was he just throwing money at clubs to make the media forget about the whole thing? To say we have bigger targets is one thing, but it doesn't count if the targets are fecking Neymar, Müller, Bale and other stupid pipedreams. This isn't FM, and he knows that. The fact that we failed to adress wide open, gaping, suppermassive black holes in our squad tells the rest of the story.
Oh, and we shipped out Adnan (!), Chicha, RvP, Nani (who by the way would have served a purpose on the right flank), and many others without having any replacements lined up. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Get the better players before getting rid of the dead weight? Because a player is better than no player, or so I've heard, no matter how limited he might be.
We did end up splashing some cash (and no, i know this isn't about splashing cash, and that modesty might be a good deed) after all, but who had even heard of the lad 72 hours ago? He's 19, and could end up becoming the most expensive french player in history at 19 years old (yes, even more expensive than Zinedine Zidane).

Fourth - I am very, very, very happy and over the moon with our signings in total.

BFS, MFS, Memphis, Darmian and Martial are all excellent signings it seems (even though i haven't even seen Martial play, his talent seems undeniable at least).
We adressed all the holes in the squad we were talking about before the window opened, and added a mix of routine and toughness, youngsters and mentors, skywalkers and yodas, physicality and quickness. Most of these are undeniably potential world beaters (other than BFS, who's probably past the world beater stage, but is top 3 german players of all time, and has won it all).

The shame is that in this process we created new, gaping holes in the squad, which need adressing ASAP. Two steps forward, one step back. And don't get me started on Adnan. Why? I just don't understand it.

TL;DR - I'm in a semi-meltdown.I love our new players, but don't understand our strategy in either the transfer market, or squad stability/depth.

acnumber9

Absolutely. I have often said that an 18 year old Rooney is better than the Rooney we have now and add an 18 year old Ronaldo to our right wing instead of Mata (who is a number 10) would be an upgrade too IMO.

I can sort of see what you are getting at, and tbh what I said wasn't meant for Shaw, or Wilson, it was more aimed at this Martial lad. I think for 36m he should be ready, and I expect the Rooney/Ronaldo levels (at the same age they joined) for the price tag he comes with. I guess we'll find out.
Better to watch certainly but he wasn't a consistent goal scorer particularly. He's a better finisher now or at least he was. I hope you're right but I'm not putting my house on it. I think the attacking options we have currently are nowhere near good enough and horrendous management.

NoPace

Rome wasn't built in a day. We've improved the team over last season. Last seasons team was better than the year before. Stepping stones. It takes time to build a team and win titles, particularly when you have other rich teams like our league.
Yes and no. We could have had the same window but added say, Otamendi/Laporte and Griezmann/Reus and we would have spent about 140 instead of 40, but we'd have a very solid team. Or we could have just signed one of those players, spent about 80-100 and gambled on filling the other spot internally for this season and taking another crack at whichever position was unfilled this year.

Ixion

How many games did you expect a 19 years old fourth choice Striker to start? He started at least 10 games in the league and at least 6-7 games as subs. 19 years old and playing close to 20 games in all competitions in your first full season is big achievement.
You should probably look those numbers up, he started two games in the League last year. I don't dispute he did well but he didn't start another League game after the Liverpool one which was in December so I'm not sure he's rated as high as you seem to think, or at least isn't considered ready yet.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
For me, I'm relatively satisfied with the squad, but we do have a few weaknesses. Cutting the squad size wasn't a great idea.
Ie rating strength in each position(not depth but overall how good it is) 1- 10.

-----GK 8---------
RB6---CB8--CB7--LB7
-----CM7---CM6----
RM5-----AM7---LM6
-------CF5.5---------

Ie 65% success. CF could rise depending on how our strikers do.

C'est Moi Cantona

I am happy, the Januzaj loan is a bit odd, but other than that we have done well, was always unrealistic to get everything we needed in one window.

Fact is for the players that we have sold that were at the club last season, only RVP would be the one that I would still like to be with us right now, and we have signed five players who all could turn out to be top signings, the only thing we did wrong was to get most of the business done early as people soon forget.

Martial, Memphis, Wilson, and Pereira are all top youngsters and are going to play lots this season, really looking forward to see how they do.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We've got no depth upfront which is baffling! We let Januzaj go, sold Hernandez and bought a 19 year old. We have still issues on our wings and just lack depth

crossy1686

career ending
Pros
  • We got rid of the dead wood
  • We strengthened the midfield
  • We bought some young, talented players with potential
  • Real Madrid made an arse of themselves trying to sign Dave
  • Darmian was an absolute bargain
Cons
  • We need a 25+ goal a season striker
  • We need a world class CB
  • The GK situation needs to be addressed next window
All in all, not that bad. I'm pretty happy with the place we're in now and after NEXT summer we should be favourites for the title.

prath92

If he rated him that much, why would he let him go on loan? To develop... Don't buy that, we wanted another striker.
Wilson is in his first professional season. When you start a sport, it's understandable that you Gradually go from easy to hard. Going full on at United isn't exactly easy to handle for a 18-19 year old who hasn't even played in league 2 before this

ThanksBoss26

Pros
  • We got rid of the dead wood
  • We strengthened the midfield
  • We bought some young, talented players with potential
  • Real Madrid made an arse of themselves trying to sign Dave
  • Darmian was an absolute bargain
Cons
  • We need a 25+ goal a season striker
  • We need a world class CB
  • The GK situation needs to be addressed next window
All in all, not that bad. I'm pretty happy with the place we're in now and after NEXT summer we should be favourites for the title.
Don't disagree with too much of this. Worried we're a bit short of numbers with just 24 players but we'll find out about the youngsters as McNair, Wilson, Pereira and Lingard will all now get game time at some point.

Hopefully we're now in a position where next summer we're only needing to bring three or four in (and getting rid of a similar amount) rather than 6 in and more than 10 out.

LS17

People have gone way OTT with negatively about our summer, especially some of the pundits on Sky Sports etc. If we had signed all that we have, got rid of some of the dead wood and kept DDG in the last few days everyone would be claiming best summer ever. Do it over a few months and people make out like it's average.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No, I'm not. And it doesn't matter whose fault it was. The point is that DDG is probably pissed at still being here and not exactly looking forward to playing for us.
I doubt it. He'll get down to it and give his best IMO.

Cathy Ferguson

GK: I'm happy that DDG is still at the club, but Navas would have been a good signing as well, given the circumstances. Let's hope that Real get a transfer ban in 2016.

Defence: Looks good. Darmian is very good signing, Shaw and Smalling are developing into great players.

CM: Very pleased and we have great strength in depth.

Attack: Not good enough and not very pleased at all that we failed to bring in an established striker and a pacy creative winger. Martial is certainly one for the future but was a bit overpriced.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Poll added for your rating out of 10 for our dealings this Summer.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
6. We've signed some brilliant players, but we're still lacking in the centre of defence and up front. We're not very strong in depth in most positions either, besides centre midfield.

caid

Would have given a higher mark if we kept januzaj.
Thats the black spot on the window for me