Are you happy?

How happy are you with our transfer dealings this Summer? (Players in and out)

• Total voters

The Hacker

Don't think we bought in the positions we really needed (cb, cf) and felt there was no plan or strategy to it.

The RM issue was just farcical.

Just can't believe we've allowed ourselves just 2 strikers! That's just madness.

Blue always red

We used to conduct our transfer business with minimal fecking around, we've made a fool of ourselves this time frankly. I don't think the people who are claiming this window is a 10 and the fact we've screwed Madrid over are realising the financial implications. Yes, we're fecking huge, but this is not a viable business approach.

Up until a week ago it was a solid 8. Bastian, Morgan and Depay were stellar signings for very good prices.

Litch

We've signed two of the best young forwards in Europe. For once we've bought players that are the envy of our rivals. Either of these 2 players could of ended up at real, Barca or PSV. Average age of the team is ridiculous and hopefully is going to be superb in a couple of years...

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Now that I have had a bit of time to sit back and think about it, I am trying to look at the positives here.

1. If we can get De Gea playing, and being committed, that will obviously sort out that problem.
1.2. Maybe, just maybe, if De Gea sits back and contemplates this, he may be pissed at real for fecking around so much

2. Centrally, our midfield has clearly improved which is a bonus

3. Darmian looks an excellent player

4. Depay and Martial if played on the wings (as forwards) could potentially grow into something exciting to watch
4.1 I just hope they play more like inside forwards and play along side rooney, rather than wingers

The worries though that could haunt us this season.
1. Blind surely isn't the answer at CB, but is Jones / Rojo?
2. Depth. I think this could be an issue. We are only an injury or two away from a disaster
2.1. Januzaj. Don't really see why we loaned him without bringing somebody in
2.2. I just really hope their is no buy clause in this deal
3. Rooney as been mis firing which is a problem, but if he gets injured, will Martial or Wilson step up to the plate

One thing that we have in our favour with such a small squad is the versatility. Many players seem like they can slot into numerous positions to cover for the odd game. Although this is positive, sometimes it can be a frustrating negative when certain players just seem awkward, trying to fill a gap.

But, the biggest issue is the tactics, so if we can sort out going forward, and actually playing like a team that wants to score, rather than the 'make 50 passes before an attempt' philosophy, then we could have a decent season

WyoManU

I thought it was a very good window. I think we still have some holes and are not playing the way LVG wants us to. However, we know have a stronger defense, and with DDG we should be good. Also have a great trio of central midfielders to rotate throughout all competitions that can help us control the games more. Our biggest worry now is where the goals will come from. Hopefully some of our youngsters can make an impact. Exciting times but I still don't think we have enough to win the league.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
THE GOOD
Happy De Gea has stayed and we didnt get Navas, keeping the second best goal keeper in the world for a season is better then getting the second best keeper at madrid last season, even if he isnt that happy, he will still want to play.

Think Schneiderlin and Darmain are great signings who have improved our first team straight away.

Depay has bags of potential and down the line should be a great player, but, as we've seen so far its a big step up to the premier league and its gonna take time so we can't rely on him week in week out at the moment, but think he has potential to have a big future.

Romero is an ok back up keeper, nothing more. But for free not a bad bit of business

Delighted Nani has left, most frustrating player i can ever remember in a united shirt.

THE BAD

I would rather we had not signed Schweinsteiger, think he will stunt the progression of Herrera, cause over rotation and it isn't worth it for a player obviously on the decline.

Sad Di Maria didnt work out, think he is a special player better then anything we have bought in, but didn't really fit Van Gaal's style and once he didnt turn up for the tour had to go, but its a real shame.

Also think we should have kept one of Hernadez or RVP we need a proven goal scorer other then Rooney. and think Weve left each ourselves a bit short up front.

Sad to see Rafeal and Evans leave thou they probably had out stayed thier usefulness... still sad thou

THE WEIRD

Confused by Martial not sure £36 million for a player who may not be ready for our first team.... seems a bit crazy. especially now that we have him Depay who is also gonna take time to adapt... having our only two quick attackers kids who arnt 100% ready... seems mental. Not to mention most of us didn't know he existed till 2 days ago, many of us even having watched a few Monaco games.... very bizarre to pay £36 million

SO HAPPY?
i dunno think we still have an un-balanced squad, last year we where top heavy, this year we are probably light upfront, and over stocked in center midfield,yet still without the right balance as we still dont have a single midfielder with pace.
I think i may be the only united fan happy with our defense, i like Blind in their, think having a defensive minded midfielder in their is a the natural progression considering most teams only play with one striker now, think their will be bumps on the road... like Swansea .... they need to be more inter changeable Smalling needs to stay on the striker while Blind picks up number 10... or summit.... but i like the theory behind it.
And im happy De Gea is here and think were ok with Romero as a back up... incase he doesn'tget his head straight.

so all in all think where about as strong as we where last year, and think we will end up probably in a similar league position and probably still play quite a lot of hoof it to Fellaini(which makes me unhappy). but think we will qualify for the CL next season which is good enough

Last edited:

Red Stone

I'm not happy. I'm not exactly angry either, but I am extremely nervous, and not confident at all. It started of tremendously with Memphis, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Darmian done swiftly and in time for the pre-season tour. Everything was set up for a near perfect window where we made all the adjustments I felt we needed - a CB, a right back, two midfielders, one or two wingers and a striker, plus possibly a replacement GK for DDG.

But instead of pushing on and building on a great start to the window we decided to royally feck everything up.

It's been painfully obvious for a while now that we're not going to score a lot of goals in the league with Rooney up front. Literally every single pundit has said something along the lines of "United need another man up front", which would have been true even if RVP, Falcao, Nani and Di Maria were the only departures from our attack. After Brugge, where we added another six games to our pre-Christmas schedule and should have been desperate to add depth to cope with the extra games, helped by the added bonus of CL football to tempt players with, we just went flat-out retard-o-tron 5000 and loaned out one of our five attacking midfielders/wingers, sold one of our three strikers and got rid of two of our centre backs for good measure, while gushing out obscene money for a totally unproven and relatively unknown French teenager and pissing off our best goalkeeper.

In other words, instead of strengthening in the areas where we were still lacking depth and quality, we've hilariously enough weakened every single one of them and given our worst player so far this season a free pass in every game by selling any real competition he might have had for his spot. It's a shambles for anyone looking at it from the outside, but it's not entirely doom and gloom IF (and it's a big if) De Gea knuckles down and reclaims his spot without throwing a huge hissy fit, Smalling and Shaw can stay injury-free, Martial and Memphis adapt quickly to the PL and Rooney finds some sort of form.

If that doesn't happen, I'm afraid we'll be too far behind by New Year's to rectify the damage and mount a serious title challenge. We can't defend our way to 1-0 wins against everyone.

The Good:
1. Cleared out a lot of deadwood
2. Chopped a huge chunk off of our wage bill
3. Strengthened the midfield
4. Sorted the right back problem
5. Got a potential superstar for a decent fee in Memphis
6. Net spend was low [/scousernomics]
7. Trolled Real Madrid on Deadline Day

The Bad:
1. 2 and 3. Got rid of all of Rooney's competition up front. Arguably the worst strike force in the top half now, in terms of depth and quality
4. Didn't strengthen central defence
5. Didn't strengthen the wings
6. Overspent on Martial
7. Loaned out Januzaj
8. Potentially ruined our relationships with our two best goalkeepers

Voted a 4/10, slightly influenced by me not being able to make sense of the last couple of days whatsoever. I think we've taken a step back overall from the squad we had last season, especially with the added strain of the Champions League. If staying put is a 5/10, 4/10 seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:

Riz

Positives
- Darmian looks a real steal at £12m or whatever it was, finally have a RB can't believe our last consistent one was Neville with sporadic stretches by Rafael in between.
- I'm a big fan of the Schweinsteiger signing, think one issue we had with the mass exodus was we lost leadership and experience, Bastian has bucket loads of both and we needed that with only Rooney and Carrick being our senior players.
- Prior to signing Memphis, the 2 realistic targets I wanted this summer (never thought we'd have a chance at Bale etc) were Memphis and Schneiderlin. So I was pretty overjoyed when we got both, already seen signs of what Memphis is going to (hopefully) become, as for Morgan I've just quite simply been a massive fan for a few years and at his price and age it really was a brilliant signing.

Negatives
- The GK situation. Now I say this but I am by no means disappointed in the club at all on this one, I just wish Madrid had pulled their finger out so we could have gone after a suitable replacment (Lloris, Leno, Oblak). It's just bad luck, we did nothing wrong.
- Di Maria exit. Really disappointed in him, I think if he'd have shown willing van Gaal would have worked with him and we could have seen something magical but unfortunately he'll now always be deemed a massive flop. If his attitude was really what the rumours say, then good riddance I guess.
- The lack of a marquee signing. I'm not saying this just cause I want to see us splash money for the sake of it but I think with the exits of Di Maria and RvP we could have done with someone of real star quality, would have given the squad a massive lift. Griezmann was the obvious choice. I guess however the last few times we attempted this it didn't work out so I understand the reluctance to go big on an established player.

Unknown
- Deserves his own category I guess so Martial: simply can't call it a positive cause I don't know much about him other than when I signed him on career mode but I can't call it a negative because despite the astronomical fee this is exactly what I wanted us to start doing. I want us to identify the best young talent in Europe and move heaven and Earth to bring them here, it's a very expensive strategy but long term I think it's the soundest one. We don't have much luck buying expensive proven stars so because we have the money let's put our faith in what's always worked for us - buying players on the cusp of greatness and developing them.

Conclusion
Happy with our window, I think there was definitely potential to strenghthen further and would have liked another attacker, someone like Berahino would have been a fine fit in my eyes. I suspect there's a few big names we're waiting to become available and would expect a big signing next summer. We have improved at least 3 of the starting XI and I think the squad is better than this time last year so overall I'd give the window a 7, if De Gea gets his head screwed on quick time then an 8.

Chicharo

I am not happy. I suppose most of us expected some big names upfront and a new CB , but it is not just that we did not get them, it is the fact that we got rid of some players who still could have contributed to good results.
I cannot see us competing for the title. Not a chance

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
We used to conduct our transfer business with minimal fecking around, we've made a fool of ourselves this time frankly. I don't think the people who are claiming this window is a 10 and the fact we've screwed Madrid over are realising the financial implications. Yes, we're fecking huge, but this is not a viable business approach.

Up until a week ago it was a solid 8. Bastian, Morgan and Depay were stellar signings for very good prices.
Clearing £1m+ off the weekly wage bill more than makes up for whatever was lost with De Gea.

Rednotdead

The whole world and his dog knew our limitations in the squad before the window opened - even Van Gaal talked openly about the imbalances. We had the whole window to address them but some still remain. Instead of continually chasing and failing to secure "galactico" signings we'd have been far better advised to get the basics right first.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I voted a two

Yes I'm sure the majority will see that as extreme but the squad still falls woefully short. I will always compare how far we have fallen since the 2008 peak. Or our previous great teams from the recent past. Okay I understand we are in transition but it's not like the players weren't out there and gettable.

We should have signed otamendi or laporte
We should have gone all out for griezeman
Lacazette looks suited to the prem.

We could be contenders with that lot

I'm not totally unhappy with martial but we have let Falcao, RVP, Hernandez and even welbeck go in recent times and brought in one? Why is Blind centre back? He's a great squad player ala Phil Neville

Can't deny we have made great strides in midfield and right back but it's two steps forwards two sideways then two back
:lol: 2

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don't think we will be winning anything this year with these signings, but the future holds much promise.

And can we please just send the goons down to Bilbao next summer to tie up Laporte...?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why won't anyone be happy, if we're given the list of who we're going to sign 1 year ago i'm sure 100% of the caf population will say "YES PLEASE"

Keeping De Gea - Check
Fixing midfield - Check check check
Fixing the back 4 - Check Check (Darmian and Shaw are class, and committed)
Fixing the wingers - Depay / Martial (not bad, but there's not much wingers on sale)
Fixing the Forward - Probably should have sold Rooney, but the jury is out on Martial
Shipping out deadwood - check check check check check
Telling Madrid to stick on up their ass - check

United again!

Not particularly, I don't know if it is new thread worthy, but how would you feel if you were part of the u21 winning team, trying your bollocks off to make the first team squad and the club just opens their wallet and smackdown's a big money move for a 19yo who's never played a league game on English soil, in a position where there are barely any reinforcements making it obvious he'll be straight into the first team?

Honestly, this club has made some absolutely bizarre decisions over the last 14 months.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not particularly, I don't know if it is new thread worthy, but how would you feel if you were part of the u21 winning team, trying your bollocks off to make the first team squad and the club just opens their wallet and smackdown's a big money move for a 19yo who's never played a league game on English soil, in a position where there are barely any reinforcements making it obvious he'll be straight into the first team?

Honestly, this club has made some absolutely bizarre decisions over the last 14 months.
Not really, 99% of our academy knows they won't cut it, but the next thing after being dumped from Manchester United Youth academy are life in the lower table / championship. That's what they're signing for, they know the drill, unless you're Messi/Ronaldo

United again!

Not really, 99% of our academy knows they won't cut it, but the next thing after being dumped from Manchester United Youth academy are life in the lower table / championship. That's what they're signing for, they know the drill, unless you're Messi/Ronaldo
Yeah, righto.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We struggle upfront and should have got one more player and kept Januzaj. Other than that it has been a very good window

AttackingFlair

Very happy. Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Depay and Martial all in one window.

Just surprised we haven't got a centre back in though as our defenders are injury prone. That might come back to haunt us.

ricky-romeo

negatives would be we are lightweight upfront and de gea's situation.

on the plus side the midfield and fullback are stronger. that's all.

can't see us challenging for the tittle with this squad. might have to content with a battle for 3/4/5 place yet again.:(:(:(

C'est Moi Cantona

The whole world and his dog knew our limitations in the squad before the window opened - even Van Gaal talked openly about the imbalances. We had the whole window to address them but some still remain. Instead of continually chasing and failing to secure "galactico" signings we'd have been far better advised to get the basics right first.
But we have, we have completely solved the midfield issue which has been a mess for years, and the full back positions now that we have Darmian, and Shaw has finally found his feet are arguably the best in the premiership. We have also brought searing pace to the left and right wings, this will allow us the finally play Mata in his best position.

The thing we have got wrong is the striker position, but RVP and Falcao had to go, and I'm sure alot of people would have been quite happy to see Wilson play instead of those two at most times last season, they will now get their wish.

The jury is still out on the defence but I don't think it's as bad as some make out, Blind may get found, but he is looking better than anything else we played in that position last year, and Smalling is developing into a world class defender, the back up isn't any worse than some other top teams have either.

Yes we still need more but I stand by my belief that alot of fans are unhappy because most of the players came in early, and after that it was mostly departures, if it had been the other way round people would have thought differently.

Adebesi

I must admit I'm not feeling it yet with this Martial deal either.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Thought it started well, but the the squad looks a bit too thin for my liking, a few injuries and suspensions and we will be in trouble. Still think we lack quality in CB/ST and GK (unless DDG comes back in 100%). Disappointed to see Januzaj leave, but maybe means Perreira will get a chance.

United again!

I must admit I'm not feeling it yet with this Martial deal either.
It isn't even about Martial, I am sure he's going to be a fantastic player for us. But it is about the bizarre things that have happened around it. Januzaj leaving on loan for absolutely no reason at all, I mean if none of those young guys can come through and make an impact I just see absolutely no point in shelling out for yet another youngster, just use the ones we have for christs sake. It is what this club prides itself on.

SqueakyWeasel

I'm happy enough (and think Schneiderlin and Darmian will both prove excellent transfers) however I do have a small reservation that the new guy "Martial" is a left winger … which is where the undroppable Memphis DPlays! What gives there?

m1tch

Two centre backs lighter?

And yeah let's just ignore we've signed a quality fullback and two excellent midfielders.
Yeah, Evans and Blackett. Blackett played a number of games last season due to how light we are at the back, now we're 2 lighter.

The signings in midfield are good, huge completion for places there now. But we are lighter in the two positions that needed the most attention, and have 4 goalkeepers.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I honestly have no idea right now. I was very happy with the purchase of Bastian/Morgan/Darmian/Depay but these last few weeks, the shit performances, the departure of certain players, the DDG situation give me a mixed feeling at the moment.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It isn't even about Martial, I am sure he's going to be a fantastic player for us. But it is about the bizarre things that have happened around it. Januzaj leaving on loan for absolutely no reason at all, I mean if none of those young guys can come through and make an impact I just see absolutely no point in shelling out for yet another youngster, just use the ones we have for christs sake. It is what this club prides itself on.
Weird thing to get bothered about. We've still got McNair, Wilson, Lingard, Johnstone and Pereira in our first team squad. Name another top four contender with more academy graduates in their squad at the close of the transfer window? It's not as though we sold off Januzaj anyway. He's gone out on loan. The young player who could feel most threatened by Martial is Wilson, yet there's a consensus on here that we still don't have enough strength in depth up front, even after this latest signing. So why would Wilson be bothered?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I honestly have no idea right now. I was very happy with the purchase of Bastian/Morgan/Darmian/Depay but these last few weeks, the shit performances, the departure of certain players, the DDG situation give me a mixed feeling at the moment.
That's what has me unhappy. Not fussed about transfer window, one way or another.

Angelinho

I think the timing of the deals has helped shape perceptions of how good our transfer business has been. Having resolved the right back and midfield issues before we went on tour, I think there were expectations that by the end of the window we would end up with a squad capable of winning the title. The dearth of attacking of attacking options would suggest that we fallen a little short. Had the signings we made been done later in the window, perhaps there would be more focus on the business we have done, rather than what we haven't.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
How anyone can say this transfer window has been underwhelming is beyond me.

(Can i be arsed to list them all and reasons? feck it go on then..)

Schweinsteiger - will last 3-4 seasons. World class midfielder, won it all. Unbelievable signing
Schneiderlin - Highly sought after defensive midfielder, what we have been crying out for for many seasons. Calm and composed. Young. Superb signing.
Depay - Young sensation who has all the attributes to become a world beater. Great price. Superb signing.
Darmian - Relatively unknown right back, quickly shows he has everything it takes become a first team regular for many, many seasons at the highest level. Superb.
Romero - Talented back up keeper, vast amount of high level experience. Cost nothing. Decent signing.
Martial - Big price, Massive talent. Signing the best up and coming talent is something we have a proven track record of. Delighted we are continuing to go down this route rather then the likes of Di Maria and Falcao, who cost vast sums with crazy wages despite being unproven. They guarentee nothing success wise.

The only thing we could have done better is sign pedro, but that would have been at the expense of Martial, im sure, who is a natural forward and can play either wing. Unlike Pedro who is most suited to the wing, where we have an abundance of options. On the right wing alone we have Mata - who has proven to play unexpectedly well there, Young and Valencia. While the latter two are underwhelming, at least they CAN play there to great effect if they are playing very well, and if not - play Martial there. Those who argue we needed a striker, we have three options for one spot. We don't need any more then that.

We also could have bought a better left footed centre back - but we have Rojo who deserves a second season and cost a huge sum last summer, and Blind who looks to be very comftable at LCB.

Im delighted with this window. On top of all of that - we kept arguably the 2nd best keeper in the world. Lets get him back to form and we're good.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
At the start of the summer, I wrote that we needed a right-back, a centre-back, a centre-midfield, and a winger. And that if RVP, Falcao and Hernandez all left, a striker too.

Darmian is the RB. Very happy with that.
We didn't buy a CB. A risk - but so far I like what Blind and Smalling have done and I think it's fair also to give the current lot a chance. At the end of last season I began to think we might finally have cracked it when Smalling and Jones had a run. Hope Jones will get over his injuries quickly and that Rojo steps up too.
Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger for CM. Very happy with that.
Memphis as a winger. Very happy with that, but offset by selling Di Maria. We perhaps should have looked at bringing in another, though I'd be very happy to see Lingard given a shot, and certainly cover isn't an issue.
Martial as a striker. Very happy with that (ignoring the fee).

The keeper situation is not our fault but is not a good one. Valdes and De Gea both quality keepers, and both want out. We need a peace treaty with both asap.

Smores

For those claiming to be happy, are you really saying that you're content with having no reliable forward? We're so reliant on Rooney finding form it's incredible.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
So you've decided that Rooney is unreliable?

A bit odd considering his record.

We need to make more chances for him to score - he'll put them away alright.