Argentina NT

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Doesn’t he need a visa? That would take two working days. Who will do training during that time if all the coaching staff are not there.

Changing managers during a international tournament is just stupid. Argentine players need to grow up and realise they got a second chance against Nigeria.
I was only half joking. His style however would’ve been ideal for the mix of players they have.

Bojan11

I was only half joking. His style however would’ve been ideal for the mix of players they have.
I’m not sure. They got a lot of good players but they in their 30s or approaching 30. Don’t think their squad has the style to play the pressing style Bielsa wants. Plus too many egos and not enough leaders.

They probably need a manager who’d get them playing in a counter attack manner and concede possession. Rather than trying to imitate Spain.

::sonny::

Sampaoli the worst manager ever alongside Domenech

The players now will decide the line up and the tactic

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany

National team titles Sampaoli: 1
National team titles Argentina players : 0

He is not doing a great job, but he is clearly not the worst manager ever and the Argentina players need to have a hard look at themselves. Also laughable to say the players decide the line up only now when Messi had a very big say in personnel matters already.

Kapardin

Won the Copa America with Chile and did a decent job with Sevilla.

He isn't the right fit for this Argentine team, doesn't make him the "worst manager ever". Don't let the fact that he looks like a bouncer cloud your judgment.

Stacks

the thing is, there are about 6 teams you can call "one of the best teams in the tournament". difference between Argies and those teams is that those teams are actually functional, while Argentina looks good only on paper yet in reality they have crisis pretty much everywhere. if it was only defence or attack that sucked, they'd be fine. but at the moment they can't score, can't create, can't defend and the guy who's supposed to solve all that already lost the dressing room and is getting sacked. there's just too many of that shit for them to handle at this point of tournament.

I was actually stunned with how many people was disappointed with them and surprised with us (Croatia), because it's not something from yesterday. you're bound to play good with our midfield and you're bound to struggle with spent players like Mascherano and Perez in midfield two. one hasn't been playing in midfield since his Liverpool days and the other one is just nothing.

now, our commentators are bad so I'm not sure if this is true, but one of them said during their match vs Iceland that Banega was returning from injury, so that's why he isn't being rushed. you can't really blame Sampa for that.
Lo Celso can play midfield and he (manager) left out Pastore, for 2nd rate wingers at small clubs. The blame falls on him. He has players who play in top European clubs, even in the midfield. I blame Sampa for everything and so should the football community. You see Klopp making the CL final with very good attackers, average midfielders and defenders, due to the system. I agree that Sampa has less time with them but come on!

red forever

You do remember those very players were taken to school by a mere Morocco? Only surviving due to Patricio's keeping, a CR7 goal and profligacy of Morocco?
They won the game so they were hardly taken to school by Morocco. And you do remember that most of those players were part of the Portugal team that won the European Championships 2 years ago?

Stacks

Romero, Zabaleta, Garay, Otamendi, Rojo, Mascherano, Biglia, Perez, Lavezzi, Messi, Higuain

That's Argentina's starting XI in the '14 final. They bossed the game against Germany until extra time, where the germans just had more left in the tank

You can't tell me those players were better than Armani, Mercado/Salvio, Otamendi, Rojo, Tagliafico, Banega, Perez/Masche/Biglia, Di Maria, Messi, Dybala/Higuain, Aguero

Don't come telling me about age, the only players still on the team that are clearly worse now due to age are Masche and Biglia. They now have Aguero fit, Higuain is much better than 4 years ago, Dybala is better than Lavezzi, their CBs are better, their fullbacks are no worse, and they have their choice of Banega or Lo Celso in midfield, and Sampaoli left Pizarro, Ascacibar and Paredes at home

Individually, no matter how you look at it, they should be one of the best teams around. Collectively their defence and midfield could drag them down a bit, but there's still no way they should have trouble getting out of a group with Iceland and Nigeria, and they should not lose 3-0 to Croatia(even if the result is somewhat inflated. That wasn't a 3-0 game)
Demischelis played in the final, even worse

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Planification

I don't plan anything. Everything pops up un my head when it has to. It comes naturally in the right moment. I hate planification. If I make a plan for something, I turn myself into an office worker. I'm the same from the 1991's Alumni team. Football can't be studied; it just can be felt and lived. I start from there. I'm from tjhe street; it's impossible to deny that.

From Sampaoli's autobiography. That guy is our manager.
:lol::lol::lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I read that fa president decided that players are in charge now and that they will decide how to play, what formation etc...
It can't be true?? Can it?

Stacks

I would think Garay is better than any centre back they have now, Romero albeit not particuarly good is better than Caballero (I haven't seen Armani before), Zabaleta was a really good right back while Salvio is an average winger and, as you say, Mascherano and Biglia have declined due to age and I would suggest that Di Maria has as well.

That being said it is absurd that they can't get a player as talented as Dybala in this team so if he and Banega were to come in then they would still be a very flawed side who shouldn't be able to match France but they would at least have more tempo and quality.
Di Maria scored 20 goals last season for PSG.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The personnel is average. Midfield, defense and goalkeeper is very subpar. On top of that, there's whole team aspect, which is sort of the most important part of football.

RORY65

Sure but four years ago he had come off a brilliant season playing in midfield and being man of the match in the Champions League final there. Argentina need midfielders yet he has spent the last few years on the bench for United or as a rotation option in attack for a provincial club who dominate a weaker league. He's not as useful to them as he was in 2014.

TheKaiser

So he has won very little in his career. Lets get the Greece manager from 2004 to manage United!
Judging by titles this "Greece manager from 2004" wasn't that bad...
UEFA European Championship: 2004 (Greece)
UEFA Cup Winners Cup: 1992 (Werder Bremen)
German Bundesliga Championship: 1987 & 1993 (Werder Bremen), 1998 (Kaiserslautern)
German 2. Bundesliga Championship: 1997 (Kaiserlautern)
German Cup: 1980 (Fortuna Düsseldorf), 1991 & 1994 (Werder Bremen)
German Super Cup: 1988, 1993 & 1994 (Werder Bremen)
German Coach of the year (by kicker magazine): 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989 & 1998
Man of the year (by kicker magazine): 1997 & 1998
He was rated as one of the best coaches in Germany in the 80s and 90s. He did not made it long when he took over at Bayern though (was fired in his first season a few days before the UEFA Cup final Bayern vs Bordeaux, which Bayern then won with Beckenbauer taking over), but managed to win the championship with Kaiserlautern 1998 coming straight from the 2. Bundesliga.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Love randoms stats thrown around like this.

He scored 11 goals and assisted in 6, playing for a team that scored 108 goals in the league. Compare that to 4 goals and 18 assists for Real Madrid in 2014. I think that points at least to a slight decline. I know how he played for Real Madrid in 2014 and with Argentina, the few games I've seen from him this season dont' come close to that form.

Stacks

Love randoms stats thrown around like this.

He scored 11 goals and assisted in 6, playing for a team that scored 108 goals in the league. Compare that to 4 goals and 18 assists for Real Madrid in 2014. I think that points at least to a slight decline. I know how he played for Real Madrid in 2014 and with Argentina, the few games I've seen from him this season dont' come close to that form.
??? 11 in the league, 1 in the champions league, 7 in the cup. Mbappe only scored 2 more......

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
They won the game so they were hardly taken to school by Morocco.
:lol:
You obviously didn't watch the much. Save for CR7s goal, they were utterly dominated and had Rui Patricio in fine form and profligacy from Morocco to thank for escaping with all the points....

And you do remember that most of those players were part of the Portugal team that won the European Championships 2 years ago?
Obviously. They are still a team stuffed with far worse individual talent than anything Argentina possesses. The main difference between them and the Argentines is their collective is far greater than the sum of its constituent parts.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Planification

I don't plan anything. Everything pops up un my head when it has to. It comes naturally in the right moment. I hate planification. If I make a plan for something, I turn myself into an office worker. I'm the same from the 1991's Alumni team. Football can't be studied; it just can be felt and lived. I start from there. I'm from tjhe street; it's impossible to deny that.

From Sampaoli's autobiography. That guy is our manager.
Wow :lol::lol:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Play di Maria deeper. They have zero creativity in midfield and can't pass. Di Maria can run with the ball and will attract attention to free up aguero and Messi.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Play di Maria deeper. They have zero creativity in midfield and can't pass. Di Maria can run with the ball and will attract attention to free up aguero and Messi.
Di Maria can barely pass as well.

On paper it's all well and good letting Messi stay upfront and focus on scoring goals. But Argentina need him deeper orchestrating play as we saw against Croatia. This team struggles to move the ball forward effectively. Theyre better off playing Messi deeper and two of Higuain/Dybala/Aguero upfront.

Web of Bissaka

Argentina NT is so messi = team chemistry is off and no balance - defensive unit and attacking unit have no cooperation with each other. Do they even have a midfield..

I think they need a holding midfielder who'll play the simple passes. Do they even have one? Too many players over complicating things.
^Either that or just play counter attacking football - 7/8 men defend, 4/3 men attack.

Romero is at least an upgrade.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Argentina NT is so messi = team chemistry is off and no balance - defensive unit and attacking unit have no cooperation with each other. Do they even have a midfield..

I think they need a holding midfielder who'll play the simple passes. Do they even have one? Too many players over complicating things.
^Either that or just play counter attacking football - 7/8 men defend, 4/3 men attack.

Romero is at least an upgrade.
Lo Celso or Banega. Both been wierdly ignored so far.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Though they've been thoroughly shite so far, they're not out yet. Portugal finished 3rd in a very weak group 2 years ago and went on to win the whole thing.

Bole Top

Though they've been thoroughly shite so far, they're not out yet. Portugal finished 3rd in a very weak group 2 years ago and went on to win the whole thing.
yeah, but Portugal faced Croatia, Wales and Poland. Argentina goes straight on France next :lol: