Arsenal 2017/2018

raggy

Supports
Spurs
Look more and more like a big 5 teams in the Premier League. Arsenal are far away from competing again.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Weren't even that poor today, city were just unbelievably clinical. Probably ended up with similar attempts on goal.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Another great result today! Can't wait for the next game. We are fighting with Burnley and Leicester for the 6th place. There are no big 6 in EPL, only big 5.

Last edited:

Canagel

There is no big 6 in the PL anymore. It's a big 5. Arsenal are now competing with the likes of Burnley, Leicester.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Whilst on one hand I feel that many of those players are at Arsenal and not a current elite club for a reason, there's still a good group of players there. I think Wenger is so devoid of any credibility now that he lacks any authority with the players. In any job, it's incredibly difficult to motivate yourself when you have no belief or trust in your management. There's just nobody who feels he is doing even a respectable job or has any basis for remaining there. Yes, they've won several cups in recent years, but as much as I enjoy winning them and want us, United, to take them seriously, you've only got to string five or six wins together to do that.
They do not have a good group of players there at all, Auba and at a real big push Ozil are quite literally there only two half decent players, the rest are basically just a shambles.

It will take anyone a good few windows to clear the dead wood out, and boy is there a heck of a lot of them there, they need a whole new squad, their goalkeeping department is rubbish, they have no good defensive players, with centrally or out wide, no DM at all of the required standard, and less said about their central and wide options the better.

This could mean them out of contention for the major honours for at least a decade.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Either way its Wenger's own making.

They have good enough players? Wenger isn't getting the best out of them
They don't have good enough players? Wenger is the one that recruited them

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Either way its Wenger's own making.

They have good enough players? Wenger isn't getting the best out of them
They don't have good enough players? Wenger is the one that recruited them
Yup, and it just goes to show how poor a manager he is, and how he got away with things in the past, David Dein deserves far more credit for Arsenal's past successes than Wenger in my mind, he was the key recruiting person during that period, and it isn't really too much of a shock to see them be very poor since his departure.

Wenger got all the plaudits (wrongly) during that period, and we have seen that when it is on him to be successful, they simply cannot do so.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Bye bye Arsenal. Refuse to support them as long as this croissant is still in charge. I would have never liked to come to this, but he has left me with no choice.

prath92

There are many players there who you have no idea what their best position is. Xhaka, Ramsey welbeck iwobi and maybe even wilshere.

Unbelievable that it’s come to this

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
There are many players there who you have no idea what their best position is. Xhaka, Ramsey welbeck iwobi and maybe even wilshere.

Unbelievable that it’s come to this

We know their best positions, they just don't fit with Wenger's formation. Ramsey best is AM like he played with Wales. Xhaka's a CM in a role to what he had at Gladbach, Wilshere is a CM. Welbeck is a utility forward with workrate and Iwobi is just blah.

Barnslig

What's happened to Lacazette? He wasn't even in the squad, couldn't find anything about an injury?

Sanche7

Buying Auba when they already had Lacazette didn't make any sense at least to me.Both are similar kind of strikers.Same with buying Mikhitaryan when they already had Ozil and Ramsey.Too many #10s and strikers.Wenger just bought whoever was available than the players they actually need.

And Lacazette, Ramsey, Bellerin, Mustafi are not top class as many seem to suggest.Mustafi is as good as say Jones / Smalling and many on here want them both gone.Same with Bellerin, great pace but an average defender.They have Ozil and Auba as top players, even Auba I'm not fully convinced.Yeah he scored bucket loads for Dortmund, so did Mikhi, I'll reserve my judgments on him for now.

I remember telling my Arsenal supporting friend a long time back that Sanchez would leave for sure but Ozil will probably stay.Ozil will get criticised and scrutinized for being lazy if he plays for a big club, but at Arsenal he can get along by just jogging around and some occasional magic.Sanchez on the other hand is a winner, he wants to win stuff and he is not ready to wait around while Wenger finds ways to humiliate himself and Arsenal more

Reactions: Akshay

Luke1995

Ozil will probably have a great world cup and Wenger will use it to say that Arsenal can mount a good challenge :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Good, don't fecking come back.
This is one thing I don't understand about Arsenal fans. You know the root of the problems are with Stan Kroenke, who only wants to drip money from the club and has no ambition other than that. He is charging the highest ticket prices in England to accomplish that, the highest ticket prices for a team that hasn't won the league in 15 years and is currently the 6th best team. Despite all this, fans still filled the stadium. It's insane that fans accept that.

If you're continously going to the stadium despite the lack of ambition shown by the owner and manager and still complaining when the team underperforms, then you are the cause of your own suffering. Everyone knows Kroenke is only in it for the money and will continue to keep Wenger there as long as that revenue stream is coming in, and a lot of that stream comes from ticket sales. So obviously the first thing someone who wants to remove Kroenke should do is take from him the biggest reason he's still there, don't go to matches!

And don't give me nonsense about supporting the club through thick and thin and all that passion crap, you lot are booing off your team 99% of the time if they're losing at HT or even drawing. How is that 'supporting' your club and players?

Not going to matches may be difficult for lifelong fans but Stan Kroenke (and Wenger) is a viruse to the club right now and removing a virus can be painful, but if you want any semblence of league success in the future you have to remove him (and Wenger).

Kapardin

This is getting really tragic now. If only Wenger had retired after finishing 2nd in the Leicester title winning season, or even after last season.

That team looks incapable of anything at the moment, pretty much close to our state under Moyes' final few weeks.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They get ‘thrashed’ more than any other big club I’ve ever known. And have done for ages, too. Shipping 3 goals at home to a supposed rival is not even an unusual thing for them. Us, Liverpool & City have all done it this season alone, and that’s before you factor in any of the 8-2s, 6-2s, 6-1s, 5-1s, 4-0s, etc of years gone by. They’ve been a shambles in big games for this entire decade.

I can’t think of another ‘famous’ team that get taken apart so regularly.
Yesterday I was watching few old highlights and this is what I saw. Arsenal gets trashed more than any other big team. So many times they have conceded 5 or 6 goals, for a big team that's just pathetic record.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
For a person/team who is supposed to be brilliant in getting young french players with their exceptional scouting network in France , its really strange that they didn't get anyone from the current golden generation.

All they have is a striker for whom they paid 60m and we all knew he was up for sale.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
For a person/team who is supposed to be brilliant in getting young french players with their exceptional scouting network in France , its really strange that they didn't get anyone from the current golden generation.

All they have is a striker for whom they paid 60m and we all knew he was up for sale.
They were priced out of Martial and Mbappe, Dembele and his mum only wanted Dortmund due to his development.

Others such as Umtiti had better options.

Javi

The only area where they arguably have top four quality is in attack but with Lacazette, Auba, Özil and Mhkitaryan they have four players that even da Vinci would struggle to link up. No real winger, one center forward for a two-man line the other is more of a target man. Three of them absolute sheep in terms of leadership ... there has not been an underlying strategy regarding recruitment other than 'who is available' and this is the result. CDM and full backs are a joke at this point, as CB they still have Koscielny who I guess is ok but then there is nothing.

They are at breaking point in summer. Either go all in and splash the cash (if there is) or readjust to the new reality.

mufcneville

Not going to matches may be difficult for lifelong fans but Stan Kroenke (and Wenger) is a viruse to the club right now and removing a virus can be painful, but if you want any semblence of league success in the future you have to remove him (and Wenger).
It's not. Lots of arsenal fans not going these days, for several reasons. The tourists/OOTs, however, won't stop going to the games which is why it's near impossible for the big clubs in England to boycott these days.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Never understand why PEA went to Arsenal from Dortmund. Dortmund have a great chance to make top four and have better players. Was it about money?

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Buying Auba when they already had Lacazette didn't make any sense at least to me.Both are similar kind of strikers.Same with buying Mikhitaryan when they already had Ozil and Ramsey.Too many #10s and strikers.Wenger just bought whoever was available than the players they actually need.

And Lacazette, Ramsey, Bellerin, Mustafi are not top class as many seem to suggest.Mustafi is as good as say Jones / Smalling and many on here want them both gone.Same with Bellerin, great pace but an average defender.They have Ozil and Auba as top players, even Auba I'm not fully convinced.Yeah he scored bucket loads for Dortmund, so did Mikhi, I'll reserve my judgments on him for now.

I remember telling my Arsenal supporting friend a long time back that Sanchez would leave for sure but Ozil will probably stay.Ozil will get criticised and scrutinized for being lazy if he plays for a big club, but at Arsenal he can get along by just jogging around and some occasional magic.Sanchez on the other hand is a winner, he wants to win stuff and he is not ready to wait around while Wenger finds ways to humiliate himself and Arsenal more
You make some good points, I would say there was a touch or more than that of the Everton's about Arsenal, and their transfer policy, as both seem to think that buying "number 10's" is the route to success, when it is not.

Instead of swapping Sanchez for Miki, they would have been much more better off (if possible of course), of swapping him for either Romero or Smalling, both would have improved their first team drastically, but neither are what one would classify as an "exciting" name though, and that was their big problem, they seemingly were only pre-occupied by signing an "exciting" name, and not actually trying to improve their team at all.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Good, don't fecking come back.
It's Wenger loyalists why this club is in disarray and disappeared in the dregs of mid table teams. Wenger has been underachieving the last 10 seasons and the few FA cups masqueraded this and gave him a life line to stay on. He should have resigned voluntarily and left the club with his head held high and respected for his prior achievements. At this point he is completely destroying what he once built and the majority of Arsenal fans I spoke to detest him these days.

Sanche7

The only area where they arguably have top four quality is in attack but with Lacazette, Auba, Özil and Mhkitaryan they have four players that even da Vinci would struggle to link up. No real winger, one center forward for a two-man line the other is more of a target man. Three of them absolute sheep in terms of leadership ... there has not been an underlying strategy regarding recruitment other than 'who is available' and this is the result. CDM and full backs are a joke at this point, as CB they still have Koscielny who I guess is ok but then there is nothing.

They are at breaking point in summer. Either go all in and splash the cash (if there is) or readjust to the new reality.
About Arsenal and money - do they have money, are they spending money?

Does Arsenal have the Money?
They do, going by bank balance alone.

Arsenal have more cash in the bank than Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich combined.
Link :
www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-more-cash

Soccerex rank Manchester City and Arsenal as most economically powerful clubs in the world

Link :
http://www.skysports.com/amp/footba...most-economically-powerful-clubs-in-the-world

Arsenal recorded a turnover above 400 million for the first time showing an increase of 20% but the above mentioned cash balance shrunk by 46 million to 140 million.

Are Arsenal Spending Money?

This Transfer League Table is a record of the amount of money spent in transfer fees by English Premier League Football Clubs over the last five seasons.

Link :
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/pre...tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

The "per season" column is the "Nett" total divided by the 5 giving an average of the money spent in transfer fees by each premiership club each season in the last five Seasons.

Arsenal's transfer dealings :
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/arsenal/english-football-teams/arsenal-transfers

So Arsenal have spent the most money after the sugar daddy clubs and the richest club in the world.
Not to mention the 350k a week contract given to Ozil.

What I intend to do with this lengthy post Is to make people understand that :
1.Arsenal have the money
2.Arsenal are spending that money
3.The problems at Arsenal won't be solved by spending more money as they keep buying the wrong kind of players.

Wenger was so successful during his early years due to the strong defense built by his predecessors.
In fact in his early days Arsenal used to be called One Nil Arsenal ( They even have a song about it if I ain't wrong) .This along with Arsene's French Connection helped him a lot.
But Arsene himself is not very good at building defenses and now he is finding it difficult to attract young players because he's mostly priced out of the deals.

The change at Arsenal has to begin from the top but the scouting department also has to take some blame. Appointment of the head Dortmund Scout is a step in the right direction but there's much more to do.

Last edited:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
As i live abroad, it's more painful for me to see our demise because i can't do anything about it. It was a knee-jerk reaction.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Never understand why PEA went to Arsenal from Dortmund. Dortmund have a great chance to make top four and have better players. Was it about money?
Of course Money. He will be earning double at Arsenal. He knows Bayern will be winning the league for the forseeable future, he's been there for 3-4 years, why not make a change?

Arsenal could be a very different club with some new blood. It'll take a few years to adapt but somebody like Simeone could be just what they need. They've got the finance to get good players, they have a good squad but no fight.

Schneckerl

It's like the team is full of players (other than Cech) with questionable mentality and they keep signing more of them.

Javi

But Arsene himself is not very good at building defenses and now he is finding it difficult to attract young players because he's mostly priced out of the deals.
But if it is true what you argued earlier in your post, that Arsenal is basically Scrooge McDuck, then why is this happening?

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Wenger has never signed a good goalkeeper in all his time at the club, which is remarkable really, he was gifted Seaman, and after that it has been one joke of a keeper after another, that and his infatuation with only signing small creative players, and completely ignoring the defence, is just shocking.

Sanche7

But if it is true what you argued earlier in your post, that Arsenal is basically Scrooge McDuck, then why is this happening?
I don't think any old school manager would be happy spending 36 million on a 19 year old as well did with Martial or 100+ million in case of Dembele or Mbappe. I doubt Fergie would have spend 36+18 in add ons for a teenager.