Arsenal 2017/2018

Mrob777

Supports
Liverpool
What’s crazy about this whole situation with Arsenal is that Wenger is only half the problem. Arsenal and their owners seem to have a disconnect with the majority of the fans. With the high ticket prices and the unwillingness to invest into the squad in comparison with their rivals, it’s like they don’t even want to win. Don’t even get me started on their players. Do they have good players? Of course, but they have no heart and no drive to play and give it their all. Maybe that has to do with the manager, but either way you still should play every game like it’s the CL final and try to win. Arsenal has lost its identity and honestly they are just not a big club right now. As a football fan and a fan on the EPL I wish they get their act together and start acting like the Arsenal I remember back in the day.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is the problem with "long term" appointments. While they give you stability when it's going well, when it goes wrong they're almost impossible to get rid of. Wenger genuinely believes he is "Arsenal" and the club couldn't run without him.

Yes there will be a transitional period, but it won't be as bad as ours under Fergie. The fans will be 70% behind it at first but I can see them getting frustrated if they go for a defensive coach.

haram

Don’t want to be one of those guys, but my friend has a mate who works at Arsenal who told him Wenger will be sacked if they fail to qualify for the CL.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
What’s crazy about this whole situation with Arsenal is that Wenger is only half the problem. Arsenal and their owners seem to have a disconnect with the majority of the fans. With the high ticket prices and the unwillingness to invest into the squad in comparison with their rivals, it’s like they don’t even want to win. Don’t even get me started on their players. Do they have good players? Of course, but they have no heart and no drive to play and give it their all. Maybe that has to do with the manager, but either way you still should play every game like it’s the CL final and try to win. Arsenal has lost its identity and honestly they are just not a big club right now. As a football fan and a fan on the EPL I wish they get their act together and start acting like the Arsenal I remember back in the day.
Which players are you thinking of when you say that they of course they have good players, at a push I can only think of Auba and Ozil, are those two of the players you were thinking of, or were there more than that?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Don’t want to be one of those guys, but my friend has a mate who works at Arsenal who told him Wenger will be sacked if they fail to qualify for the CL.
I think there's a fair chance that'll happen. Wouldn't rule out a change even if they do qualify. We've seen it all before but i think this time Arsenal will make a managerial change.

If Wenger goes, i expect them to make it sound as though Wenger made the decision to leave the club himself. Even if he we all know they probably sacked him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
There have been rumours about sacking Wenger every year for a while now. Last season, Wenger went directly to Kroenke and convinced him to give another contract.

Basically, lots of people want him gone in the club; but he has so much power at the club that he will have to be taken out kicking and screaming.

redflair

Just to be cheeky, I wouldn't bet against them 'turning up' against City on Thursday simply because that's the kind of things Wenger's Arsenal team's do.

The last thing City want is a midweek game after a cup celebration - and they might not have their eye completely on the ball as it were.

But ultimately, Arsenal's season rests on the double header with Milan and, if they get through that, it might actually trigger a mini-revival.

haram

They are pretty good at home so it should be a better game than the final.

Mrob777

Supports
Liverpool
Which players are you thinking of when you say that they of course they have good players, at a push I can only think of Auba and Ozil, are those two of the players you were thinking of, or were there more than that?

Auba, Ozil, wilshire, laca, and Ramsey. These are players I feel could be very good players if they were playing under the right manager and tactics.

AR87

Auba, Ozil, wilshire, laca, and Ramsey. These are players I feel could be very good players if they were playing under the right manager and tactics.
I would also bet that Bellerin and Mustafi would improve and progress under a different manager. Wenger hasnt overseen the fundamental improvement of a player's performance in a long time. The best he seems to be able to do is buy a player and keep them at the same level and even at that he's not been consistent.

Canagel

I feel bad for Mkhi joining this sinking ship at this time of his career. But he should've stepped up and performed when he was needed earlier in the season.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I feel bad for Mkhi joining this sinking ship at this time of his career. But he should've stepped up and performed when he was needed earlier in the season.
Why do you feel bad for a player who has nothing to do with us?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Ozil, the two 50 million strikers, ramsey, monreal, mhiki, bellerin and a couple decent youngsters. They have the 5/6th best squad in the league. Under a different manager could definitely see an improvement. The biggest thing Arsenal lack is accountability. Nobody pays the price for failure. That and selling their best players to direct rivals over and over and over again. Thanks for RVP gooners.

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
Apart from the obvious schadenfreude of watching a rival club flounder, I’m actually not really enjoying it all that much. I always liked Wenger, or how he came across, and admired the way his Arsenal sides of old played footie.

Now though he’s completely ruining his legacy. He should surely have gone after one of the recent FA cup wins and then, for all the ‘4th placed trophy’ stuff, he could have left with some dignity.

Although the context is different, as a Liverpool fan, it reminds me a little of how Souness damaged his legacy with us. He was one of our greatest ever players and probably our best ever captain, his managerial reign however was pretty bad. That could’ve been accepted without damage to reputation however without his disastrous, and frankly unforgivable decision to give an exclusive interview to the Sun ‘newspaper’ for a substantial sum. That act forever tarnished his relationship with the supporters and now whenever he is discussed, there is always a caveat.

I wonder now whether when Arsenal fans in the future discuss their greatest managers, and Wenger’s name crops up, if there will be a similar caveat “...great for a time, those last few years though....”

Not the way one of the best premier league managers so far should be remembered unfortunately.

Reactions: Varun

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Ozil, the two 50 million strikers, ramsey, monreal, mhiki, bellerin and a couple decent youngsters. They have the 5/6th best squad in the league. Under a different manager could definitely see an improvement. The biggest thing Arsenal lack is accountability. Nobody pays the price for failure. That and selling their best players to direct rivals over and over and over again. Thanks for RVP gooners.
Pretty much this.

Its not like there is no talent and no chance of a rebound under different management. Sack Wenger, bring in a manager like Jardim that will instill some discipline and tactical awareness, shift about half the squad that is not good enough and/or too comfortable without any accountability, let the new footballing operation (Mislintat and Jardim) invest some money in young players for a few years, and you can build a team that will be pretty competitive in a couple seasons. It is not rocket science but none of it can happen with Wenger in charge.

Canagel

Why do you feel bad for a player who has nothing to do with us?
I feel bad because he didn't leave on his own terms. He was forced to be a part of the Sanchez deal plus joining Arsenal is a massive step-down in relation to the current situation there.

Mrob777

Supports
Liverpool
I would also bet that Bellerin and Mustafi would improve and progress under a different manager. Wenger hasnt overseen the fundamental improvement of a player's performance in a long time. The best he seems to be able to do is buy a player and keep them at the same level and even at that he's not been consistent.
I agree wholeheartedly! There team is not all doom and gloom the media would have everyone believe. Wenger has just completely lost the plot for some reason, and now his players are suffering for it.

Pretty much this.

Its not like there is no talent and no chance of a rebound under different management. Sack Wenger, bring in a manager like Jardim that will instill some discipline and tactical awareness, shift about half the squad that is not good enough and/or too comfortable without any accountability, let the new footballing operation (Mislintat and Jardim) invest some money in young players for a few years, and you can build a team that will be pretty competitive in a couple seasons. It is not rocket science but none of it can happen with Wenger in charge.
I totally agree, not rocket science. Like I said earlier, Wenger is only half the problem. They need a complete renovation in the administration. Get a DOF, with a attack minded coach with European pedigree and they will be challenging again. Luckily for all their rivals, they are incompetent in making necessary changes.

Jonno

Arsenal are in such a bad way now aren't they. It's stagnated so badly. The quality of that squad is awfully poor.

They basically need a new GK, 2-3 new defenders, 2-3 new central midfielders who can control and boss games. They need about 7 new players. Almost a complete rebuild. It could take 4-5 years if they get a new manager, and if they keep Wenger, it will just stagnate further, as he doesn't seem to want to identify and improve the obvious areas that everybody can see. He just re-builds the attack and neglects the defence and midfield.

aman92

Supports
Liverpool
I can't believe how players like Aubamayeng and Ozil signed contracts with them and at this stage of their careers where they don't have that many years left to win big trophies. Probably banking on Wenger being chucked off at the end of the season

OneUnited24

I can't believe how players like Aubamayeng and Ozil signed contracts with them and at this stage of their careers where they don't have that many years left to win big trophies. Probably banking on Wenger being chucked off at the end of the season
You’re mad. Both are playing in London and have absolutely no pressure on them. Both can get away with anything and never be held accountable. Ozil is on £350k a week and doesn’t have to justify it. Mans the biggest bottler in world football. Him and arsenal belong together

AP88

Supports
Man City
Ramsey would be perfect under Mourinho IMO, as a Lingard upgrade as the energetic #10. (Jesse could be utilized as an Ole-esque super sub moving forward)

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Ramsey would be perfect under Mourinho IMO, as a Lingard upgrade as the energetic #10. (Jesse could be utilized as an Ole-esque super sub moving forward)
Ramsey is okay but still fairly unremarkable. Occasionally very good but mostly just decent, perfect for Arsenal's current position.

Ban

Don't feel sorry for him at all since he's aiming cheap shots at us already. Fe.k him.

FujiVice

This is the story of the 22 years Wenger has been in charge. It's why they never were able to retain the title. It's why they never managed to win the Champions League. It's why Ferguson crippled their "Invisible" spirit in 2004. It's also why he never beat a Mourinho side in a game where it was more than a fart near the end of the season. To beat the likes of Real, Bayern, City, United, Barca etc. takes a level of commitment and guts that Wenger has never had in his teams. Wenger's Arsenal vs a Pep or Mourinho side is just such a fecking mismatch, because Wenger breads wimps. Always has.

Josep Dowling

You’re mad. Both are playing in London and have absolutely no pressure on them. Both can get away with anything and never be held accountable. Ozil is on £350k a week and doesn’t have to justify it. Mans the biggest bottler in world football. Him and arsenal belong together
Absolutely spot on. Their entire squad is soft and has been for years. When we have an away game at the Emirates it’s never a feeling of ‘this is going to be a tough game’.

Wenger should have gone 3 years ago. It’s going to take years to repair this squad, especially if the funds aren’t given to the manager. I fear for them a bit.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
This is the story of the 22 years Wenger has been in charge. It's why they never were able to retain the title. It's why they never managed to win the Champions League. It's why Ferguson crippled their "Invisible" spirit in 2004. It's also why he never beat a Mourinho side in a game where it was more than a fart near the end of the season. To beat the likes of Real, Bayern, City, United, Barca etc. takes a level of commitment and guts that Wenger has never had in his teams. Wenger's Arsenal vs a Pep or Mourinho side is just such a fecking mismatch, because Wenger breads wimps. Always has.
Come on now, Wenger is far past his sell by date but you don't go a season unbeaten without having commitment and guts...

Edit: Ferguson didn't cripple the invincibles, it was Mourinho's Chelsea who came in and blew them away, if I remember correctly.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They've gotten a fair few spankings this season haven't they? Away to Liverpool, now 2 in a row against City.

FujiVice

Come on now, Wenger is far past his sell by date but you don't go a season unbeaten without having commitment and guts...
They still got outsmarted in the Champions League by a pre-Mourinho Chelsea and done in the FA Cup off us. They were a fantastic side, but also had the fortune of Chelsea getting a team together and us slap bang in the middle of a transition. The evidence was there in 2003/04 that this Arsenal side had a very soft centre.

Edit: Ferguson didn't cripple the invincibles, it was Mourinho's Chelsea who came in and blew them away, if I remember correctly.
Arsenal were top of the league when Ferguson roughed them up in the October. They were never the same after that. They were wounded and never recovered. Fergie even called them "wimps" in the February.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
They still got outsmarted in the Champions League by a pre-Mourinho Chelsea and done in the FA Cup off us. They were a fantastic side, but also had the fortune of Chelsea getting a team together and us slap bang in the middle of a transition. The evidence was there in 2003/04 that this Arsenal side had a very soft centre.

Arsenal were top of the league when Ferguson roughed them up in the October. They were never the same after that. They were wounded and never recovered. Fergie even called them "wimps" in the February.
I still disagree with your first point, but I do understand where you're coming from. Probably an agree to disagree scenario.
Regarding your second point, I can't recall that but my memory is terrible, so I'll bow to yours mate.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
They weren't quite the same but we didn't cripple them - just beat them and sent them into a poor run in comparison to what they'd been on. They still finished that season in 2nd on 83 points with an FA Cup. Wenger's early sides were excellent - just in later years they became so shite and spineless.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Ramsey is okay but still fairly unremarkable. Occasionally very good but mostly just decent, perfect for Arsenal's current position.
He’s burdened by being a box to box player; the one season he had a free role for Arsenal he looked on the cusp of becoming world class, then the genius Wenger started playing him wide right or too deep. He was Wales best player at Euro 2016 as a #10.

He’s got Lingard’s movement but with better quality on the ball, and Oscar’s work rate; he’d be the perfect Mourinho advanced midfielder.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
They get ‘thrashed’ more than any other big club I’ve ever known. And have done for ages, too. Shipping 3 goals at home to a supposed rival is not even an unusual thing for them. Us, Liverpool & City have all done it this season alone, and that’s before you factor in any of the 8-2s, 6-2s, 6-1s, 5-1s, 4-0s, etc of years gone by. They’ve been a shambles in big games for this entire decade.

I can’t think of another ‘famous’ team that get taken apart so regularly.

Last edited:

Irrational.

10 points behind fourth placed Spurs
30 points behind City :lol:

20th placed West Brom are closer to them than they are to City.

It's crazy how much they've fallen.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Whilst on one hand I feel that many of those players are at Arsenal and not a current elite club for a reason, there's still a good group of players there. I think Wenger is so devoid of any credibility now that he lacks any authority with the players. In any job, it's incredibly difficult to motivate yourself when you have no belief or trust in your management. There's just nobody who feels he is doing even a respectable job or has any basis for remaining there. Yes, they've won several cups in recent years, but as much as I enjoy winning them and want us, United, to take them seriously, you've only got to string five or six wins together to do that.