Arsenal 2017/2018

Javi

Wenger has never signed a good goalkeeper in all his time at the club, which is remarkable really, he was gifted Seaman, and after that it has been one joke of a keeper after another, that and his infatuation with only signing small creative players, and completely ignoring the defence, is just shocking.
Cech was a perfectly fine goalkeeper to buy for a top 4 club. Not sure what happened to him at Arsenal.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
They were priced out of Martial and Mbappe, Dembele and his mum only wanted Dortmund due to his development.

Others such as Umtiti had better options.
Well, precisely my point - that defeats the whole purpose of having a scouting system though, right ? Don't they know they should act early if they want to secure the best ?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Well, precisely my point - that defeats the whole purpose of having a scouting system though, right ? Don't they know they should act early if they want to secure the best ?
Even if they punted on Mbappe and Martial before they had their breakout season at Monaco they would still cost a hefty sum for an English club.

Punts are £30-40m these days.

Schneckerl

Wenger has never signed a good goalkeeper in all his time at the club, which is remarkable really, he was gifted Seaman, and after that it has been one joke of a keeper after another, that and his infatuation with only signing small creative players, and completely ignoring the defence, is just shocking.
Lehmann wasn't signed by Wenger?

Sanche7

I feel the PL as a whole has become less attractive to young players because PL seems to have this reputation of being a money league where teams compete with each other in terms of who spends the most.And even in the PL spurs have the reputation of being the best place for a youngster to go to Mainly due to what Poch has done.
Even Wenger has tarnished his reputation as a guy who promotes youth by failing to properly develop many youngsters he signed over the years, the likes of Ramsey,Wilshere Oxalade Chamberlain, Calum Chambers,Gibbs to name a few and in the past few years choosing to buy superstars than to give time to youngsters, which even led to players like Serge Gnabry leaving the club.

Also singing youngsters is not as cheap as it used to be.
Wenger signed Anelka for 500,000 and Fabregas on a free.
And its not just youngsters who are signed by a good scouting network.Wenger was able to call on a network of scouts to help spot talented and undervalued players – especially from France. This brought him influential and talented footballers like Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires and Thierry Henry.
Maybe he has lost his scouts or maybe the pressures if instant success has caught up.

Javi

Even if they punted on Mbappe and Martial before they had their breakout season at Monaco they would still cost a hefty sum for an English club.

Punts are £30-40m these days.
Yep. But the money apparently isn't the problem, if we trust this other user. So just take the punt. Like Wenger did with Nasri, van Persie, Walcott etc. I don't get it. Yes they are more expensive than they used to be but that's just the course of the market and again the money seemingly is there, what's it for otherwise. Another debate if it's not.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Cech was a perfectly fine goalkeeper to buy for a top 4 club. Not sure what happened to him at Arsenal.
Not at the time they bought him from Chelsea he was not.
Errors were creeping into his game more often then were there previously, and he was becoming a back up to Courtois, and Chelsea were more than happy to sell him.

The signing showed no ambition whatsoever at all.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Yep. But the money apparently isn't the problem, if we trust this other user. So just take the punt. Like Wenger did with Nasri, van Persie, Walcott etc. I don't get it. Yes they are more expensive than they used to be but that's just the course of the market and again the money seemingly is there, what's it for otherwise. Another debate if it's not.
It is there for Kroenke's pockets.

Javi

Not at the time they bought him from Chelsea he was not.
Errors were creeping into his game more often then were there previously, and he was becoming a back up to Courtois, and Chelsea were more than happy to sell him.

The signing showed no ambition whatsoever at all.
He was a backup to Courtois because Courtois is a lot younger and therefore the future and he would have left if he didn't become the Nr. 1 so it was a logical decision to promote Courtois and bench Cech but AFAIK it wasn't only because of superior skill from the former. Cech was still a top GK back then, London based, PL proven, for 14.5m € basically everything you want.

Chelsea were happy to sell him because they had Courtois yes, but they were very reluctant to sell to Arsenal, a perceived rival, it's only due to Cech's connections to Abramovich that actually made the move possibly, Mourinho himself was strongly against it because he thought it was bad news to strenghten a rival.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
He was a backup to Courtois because Courtois is a lot younger and therefore the future and he would have left if he didn't become the Nr. 1 so it was a logical decision to promote Courtois and bench Cech but AFAIK it wasn't only because of superior skill from the former. Cech was still a top GK back then, London based, PL proven, for 14.5m € basically everything you want.

Chelsea were happy to sell him because they had Courtois yes, but they were very reluctant to sell to Arsenal, a perceived rival, it's only due to Cech's connections to Abramovich that actually made the move possibly, Mourinho himself was strongly against it because he thought it was bad news to strenghten a rival.
Cech not wanting to leave London at the time, also narrowed things down as to possible clubs that Chelsea could sell him to, hence why he ended up at Arsenal (and I think he made a howler in his debut for Arsenal, as if to show how his past high standards had slipped).

Arsenal at the time, could have made a real impact signing, but again they took the easy option, and opted to sign someone who was past his peak, and on the downward trend instead.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool

I don´t think the squad is nearly as bad as Wenger makes them look. They just need a new manager.

Javi

Cech not wanting to leave London at the time, also narrowed things down as to possible clubs that Chelsea could sell him to, hence why he ended up at Arsenal (and I think he made a howler in his debut for Arsenal, as if to show how his past high standards had slipped).

Arsenal at the time, could have made a real impact signing, but again they took the easy option, and opted to sign someone who was past his peak, and on the downward trend instead.
There was no need to sell him, Chelsea were happy to keep him as No. 2. It's that he wanted to play. For the money it was if anything a great deal for Arsenal.

Their midfield is very poor, don't they have any youngsters coming through that could play instead of Xhaka?

Whoever comes in next it will be a big job for them, they need to buy about 7 new players and that list looks like its growing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
LMAO are actually their quality players. They need to completely get rid of the midfield, defense, and keeper and start afresh in each of these areas - oh and of course get rid of Wenger and hire someone like Tuchel.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
About Arsenal and money - do they have money, are they spending money?

Does Arsenal have the Money?
They do, going by bank balance alone.

Arsenal have more cash in the bank than Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich combined.
Link :
www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-more-cash

Soccerex rank Manchester City and Arsenal as most economically powerful clubs in the world

Link :
http://www.skysports.com/amp/footba...most-economically-powerful-clubs-in-the-world

Arsenal recorded a turnover above 400 million for the first time showing an increase of 20% but the above mentioned cash balance shrunk by 46 million to 140 million.

Are Arsenal Spending Money?

This Transfer League Table is a record of the amount of money spent in transfer fees by English Premier League Football Clubs over the last five seasons.

Link :
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/pre...tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

The "per season" column is the "Nett" total divided by the 5 giving an average of the money spent in transfer fees by each premiership club each season in the last five Seasons.

Arsenal's transfer dealings :
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/arsenal/english-football-teams/arsenal-transfers

So Arsenal have spent the most money after the sugar daddy clubs and the richest club in the world.
Not to mention the 350k a week contract given to Ozil.

What I intend to do with this lengthy post Is to make people understand that :
1.Arsenal have the money
2.Arsenal are spending that money
3.The problems at Arsenal won't be solved by spending more money as they keep buying the wrong kind of players.

Wenger was so successful during his early years due to the strong defense built by his predecessors.
In fact in his early days Arsenal used to be called One Nil Arsenal ( They even have a song about it if I ain't wrong) .This along with Arsene's French Connection helped him a lot.
But Arsene himself is not very good at building defenses and now he is finding it difficult to attract young players because he's mostly priced out of the deals.

The change at Arsenal has to begin from the top but the scouting department also has to take some blame. Appointment of the head Dortmund Scout is a step in the right direction but there's much more to do.
I have been saying this all these years that Arsenal has no money and manager needs to run on tight budget is not true.

JSArsenal

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/02/arsenal-players-arsene-wenger-meeting

I wonder who leaked this. I don't approve of this getting out to the press (if its even true). What happens in the locker room should stay there. We should be presenting a united front to the world. But instead it feels like everyone is falling over themselves to absolve themselves of responsibility. Wenger has to go but he isn't the one telling Xhaka to pick his nose while the opponent scores. If these guys really care I want to see that on the pitch (I haven't), not in articles like this in the paper. Which basically amount to "We're trying our best but its all the manager's and coaching staff fault"

EDIT

I'm not sure how much of an article I can quote but this part tickled me.

He was too choked up as he reflected on how such a talented squad had come to resemble a bunch of drifters. He said his children were asking him why Arsenal were so bad. That was the moment when the tears welled in his eyes
Only at Arsenal can something like this happen, then we go on to lose 3-0 the very next game. I can't imagine any of the invincible squad sitting down and crying in the dressing room.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
LMAO are actually their quality players. They need to completely get rid of the midfield, defense, and keeper and start afresh in each of these areas - oh and of course get rid of Wenger and hire someone like Tuchel.
How much money and how many transfer windows are required for this ?

haram

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/02/arsenal-players-arsene-wenger-meeting

I wonder who leaked this. I don't approve of this getting out to the press (if its even true). What happens in the locker room should stay there. We should be presenting a united front to the world. But instead it feels like everyone is falling over themselves to absolve themselves of responsibility. Wenger has to go but he isn't the one telling Xhaka to pick his nose while the opponent scores. If these guys really care I want to see that on the pitch (I haven't), not in articles like this in the paper. Which basically amount to "We're trying our best but its all the manager's and coaching staff fault"
Xhaka needs help. It’s probably draining for him mentally as well. He isn’t a DM and he isn’t getting enough help.

POF

Remember when Arsenal beat Everton. They had a "world class attack" and Wenger was the right manager to get the best out of the superstar Mkhitaryan after he was wasted by that buffoon Mourinho. Aubameyang was a "top 10 in the world" player.

This is what Arsenal do. They will stuff a rubbish team and all of a sudden they will be the best team in the league again and Wenger will see out his contract.

It's been obvious that the club need a change of manager for the good part of a decade. It doesn't matter what players they buy or how much money they spend, they don't have a winning mentality and never will again under Wenger. Long may it continue.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I think the only one from LMAO that is at the top level are Ozil and Aubameyang. The other 2 are players that have only performed at low pressure environments. We have seen with players from these smaller clubs that making the step up is very difficult.

Mkhitaryan was supposed to be a quality player; but he made the step up to a big club and turned into a shadow of a player. Lacazette's scoring record was massively affected by Penalties, and he is a sub-20 goal striker from open play. That's in the french league where scoring is generally easier.

JSArsenal

Xhaka needs help. It’s probably draining for him mentally as well. He isn’t a DM and he isn’t getting enough help.
Xhaka could have Jesus himself return to earth and give him help. He still wouldn't be good enough. He needs to be sold this summer and fast, along with Mustafi.

I'll be very annoyed if some of our players come out and criticize Wenger, now or after he goes. Some of them wouldn't look out of place at West Brom and should be thanking their lucky stars that they get to play at a big club.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It seems like Xhaka and Mustafi just got the promotion to take over Walcott and Giroud's spot. Congratulation!

haram

Xhaka could have Jesus himself return to earth and give him help. He still wouldn't be good enough. He needs to be sold this summer and fast, along with Mustafi.

I'll be very annoyed if some of our players come out and criticize Wenger, now or after he goes. Some of them wouldn't look out of place at West Brom and should be thanking their lucky stars that they get to play at a big club.
Find it a bit hypocritical Arsenal fans will blame Wenger for some of the players, but the others don't get the same excuse. Not aiming this at you btw.

MP1711

I think the only one from LMAO that is at the top level are Ozil and Aubameyang. The other 2 are players that have only performed at low pressure environments. We have seen with players from these smaller clubs that making the step up is very difficult.

Mkhitaryan was supposed to be a quality player; but he made the step up to a big club and turned into a shadow of a player. Lacazette's scoring record was massively affected by Penalties, and he is a sub-20 goal striker from open play. That's in the french league where scoring is generally easier.
You and our scouting department think alike, we looked at Lacazette and our scouts said the same thing. Thank you so much Javier Ribalta.

JSArsenal

Find it a bit hypocritical Arsenal fans will blame Wenger for some of the players, but the others don't get the same excuse. Not aiming this at you btw.
I think I get what you mean, Xhaka's failings are usually blamed on Wenger. I think that there is no manager out there who could make Xhaka look good in this Arsenal team.

Wenger's biggest strength is that he gives players freedom to express themselves. Its also his biggest weakness because when it starts to go wrong, it goes and he usually lets the players sort it.

While I can point to great performances from the likes of Ozil, Giroud, Ramsey, Wilshere, Koscielny, Bellerin and even Walcott over the years. I can't name you five great Xhaka performances. I'll be generous and say he played well in the cup final against Chelsea

I mean its easy to be inconsistent under this system but if you can't even have a single run in two seasons where you're playing great, then that is a personal problem.

I hope the next manager cleans house and doesn't waste time trying to see what he can get from this lot. Guardiola is the best coach in the world but he didn't try to turn Pellegrini's team into champions. He sold the players who he deemed weren't good enough and brought in new ones, regardless of the fan/media backlash (Joe Hart).

haram

I think I get what you mean, Xhaka's failings are usually blamed on Wenger. I think that there is no manager out there who could make Xhaka look good in this Arsenal team.

Wenger's biggest strength is that he gives players freedom to express themselves. Its also his biggest weakness because when it starts to go wrong, it goes and he usually lets the players sort it.

While I can point to great performances from the likes of Ozil, Giroud, Ramsey, Wilshere, Koscielny, Bellerin and even Walcott over the years. I can't name you five great Xhaka performances. I'll be generous and say he played well in the cup final against Chelsea

I mean its easy to be inconsistent under this system but if you can't even have a single run in two seasons where you're playing great, then that is a personal problem.

I hope the next manager cleans house and doesn't waste time trying to see what he can get from this lot. Guardiola is the best coach in the world but he didn't try to turn Pellegrini's team into champions. He sold the players who he deemed weren't good enough and brought in new ones, regardless of the fan/media backlash (Joe Hart).
Do you have the budget to just rip players out the squad and replace them though? It’s like us still not buying a fullback yet (we’ll probably do that this summer).

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Remember when Arsenal beat Everton. They had a "world class attack" and Wenger was the right manager to get the best out of the superstar Mkhitaryan after he was wasted by that buffoon Mourinho. Aubameyang was a "top 10 in the world" player.

This is what Arsenal do. They will stuff a rubbish team and all of a sudden they will be the best team in the league again and Wenger will see out his contract.

It's been obvious that the club need a change of manager for the good part of a decade. It doesn't matter what players they buy or how much money they spend, they don't have a winning mentality and never will again under Wenger. Long may it continue.
Don't forget Martin Keown's pearls of wisdom:

"Speaking to BT Sport on Saturday night, Keown said: “This guy [Aubameyang] at the front, he can’t believe it.

“He’s come to Arsenal and has got Mesut Ozil giving him supplies, Henrikh Mkhitaryan… he doesn’t know who to look to first for him to score his goals from!”

JSArsenal

I have been saying this all these years that Arsenal has no money and manager needs to run on tight budget is not true.
We have turned a profit the last two transfer windows. We spent big but also sold big. The first two summers we spent big, the third summer we brought in no one but a goalkeeper.

Moreover we've had to spend more recently compared to our rivals because we're playing catch up after so many years of penny pinching. I'm sorry but its an accepted fact that funds were tight during the Emirates years. There are many sticks to beat Wenger with but this isn't one of them.

Think about this, if the board wanted Wenger to spend money so badly and he outright refused to do so. Why didn't they just sack him and bring in someone who would build a team of London Galacticos? We couldn't use the fact that we were close to the title to justify a lack of investment because we were not. Except for 2007/08 (if only we brought in Anelka)

Do you have the budget to just rip players out the squad and replace them though? It’s like us still not buying a fullback yet (we’ll probably do that this summer).
It depends. Its too much to do in one summer. I still can't believe Wenger let the entirety of last summer go by and the only defensive player he brought in was a LB. Up to this day we don't even have any back up full backs. It was almost negligent.

If we sell a few players and buy smartly I'd like to see us bring in a keeper, two CB's, back up FBs and a competent DM. If we sell Welbeck, Xhaka, Mustafi, Lacazette and Ospina we should have enough, combined with our budget as it is.

I like Lacazette but I'd prefer it if we had Aubameyang and a youngish striker rather than having two strikers approaching their 30s. Our squad is too top heavy as it is, in terms of age. For that reason I'd also sell Mkhi and bring in someone younger to replace him.

I don't want a situation where all of a sudden we have to go out and buy two strikers in one summer.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Arsenal only have one player (Ozil) who'd get in the Spurs team. Astounding, and would have been absolutely unthinkable a few years ago. The scale of rebuilding needed to make them a top side again is most likely beyond them.

And I love it. I fecking hate Arsenal.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You and our scouting department think alike, we looked at Lacazette and our scouts said the same thing. Thank you so much Javier Ribalta.
United's scouting department said that he had physical problems both in Stamina and Strength.

Arsene Wenger said that the reason Lacazette was subbed off regularly was because he was not physically ready for the PL.

I think it is a credit to our scouting department that we got Lukaku instead of many other strikers that were available. He looks to be the best of what was available.

MP1711

United's scouting department said that he had physical problems both in Stamina and Strength.

Arsene Wenger said that the reason Lacazette was subbed off regularly was because he was not physically ready for the PL.

I think it is a credit to our scouting department that we got Lukaku instead of many other strikers that were available. He looks to be the best of what was available.
Lack of strength, stamina, pace and a goal tally vastly inflated by penalties. Massive credit to our scouts because they were right.

POF

Don't forget Martin Keown's pearls of wisdom:
I still cannot believe Martin Keown is a football pundit. If there ever was a player who seemed like he had nothing interesting or intelligent to say it was Keown.

What really amazes me is the moments of great hope around Arsenal from both fans and media when they have been having the exact same season every year for the last 6 or 7 years.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Give this same squad to another manager and he'l make them challenge for the top 4. You can not say that Liverpool's squad is better than Arsenal but Klopp has them challenging for those positions.

Not a slight on Jose btw, just making a point, but even players like Costa and Hazard looked poor in the final season under Jose. Sometimes players lose motivation to play under a manager, it clearly looks the case here. Not to also mention Wenger has been tactically poor for a while.

Antonedwin

Never understand why PEA went to Arsenal from Dortmund. Dortmund have a great chance to make top four and have better players. Was it about money?
Money. Bundesliga have fix winner every year & it's not Dortmund . Better to be a rich loser than just a loser , there is no other top club want to sign him anyway