Arsenal 2018/19

Posh Red

Arsenal are sitting on a huge pile of cash (180M) but the issue is with the Premier League Short Term Cost Control rules that limit the wagebill increase. We've bought/signed a lot of players recently on high wages while our outgoing business is miserable.
Özil (350k), Aubameyang(220k?), Lacazette (200k), Mkhitaryan (120k?), Kolasinac (140k), Cech (100k), Ramsey (100k), Koscielny (90k), Socratis (90k), Mustafi (90k) , Xhaka (90k) the list goes on...
Last year of Fly Emirates deal + last year of Puma Deal + no income from sales.
This summer we jump from 30 to 60m per season with the switch to Adidas and the renewal of Fly Emirates gives us a bit more too to reach about 45/50m more income per season. This is the income that affect the STCC, not Kroenke's invisible money.

If we sort out the Özil situation (one way or another), get rid of Mikhi, Cech, Ramsey, Mustafi and Koscielny, that's also a big chunk of wages that are freed up. In theory this is going to be our "last" bad transfer window with this squad. It could have been avoided with the Champions League, or getting the 60M from Alexis had we sold him to City, sold Ramsey in the summer and in general not selling our players for a quarter of their value.

The new team in charge of the club's operations can't be judged right now, they're locked in the previous regime lack of performance on the pitch and off the pitch.
It is very gloom at the moment and i hope we can win the FA Cup or get a miracle spot in the top 4 because i can't see us going all the way in the Europa League.
Kolasinac on £140k seems especially high?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The Arsenal Twitter brigade aren't happy. How do they expect to compete without spending big?

They need to heavily invest in one or two positions like we did.
They spent plenty last January + massive Ozil renewal which was big error with the manager change.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Kolasinac on £140k seems especially high?
It's between 120 and 140, depend on the sources but he was a free transfer. A young LB that was in the Bundesliga team of the season, he was always going to negotiate big wages.

Wish we had either one of those average players uptop for us.
Martial-Lacazette-Rashard
Martial-Auba-Rashford
:drool:
But instead we have Lukaku and Sanchez.One who cant control a ball and the other likely past-it.

Fridge chutney

Kroenke is a piece of work. The best thing that could happen to Arsenal is to somehow be bought from that leech of a man.

AshRK

Wish we had either one of those average players uptop for us.
Martial-Lacazette-Rashard
Martial-Auba-Rashford
:drool:
But instead we have Lukaku and Sanchez.One who cant control a ball and the other likely past-it.
I wont replace lacazette with lukaku. Lukaku even on his shit season has scored more league goals than lacazette. Not that lukaku is a world class striker but lacazette is far from the answer.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
2 goals in how many games against the top 6? And he's 30 in a few months. Europa league level signing.
That's more indicative of his lack of service in those games than anything else. Like in that game against us... Did Arsenal even have a midfield that game?

Auba is up there with the best in the league.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
That's more indicative of his lack of service in those games than anything else. Like in that game against us... Did Arsenal even have a midfield that game?

Auba is up there with the best in the league.
60m for a nigh on 30 year old flat track bully whom I wouldn't place in the top 5 attackers in the league, and who is more or less anonymous against any decent side.

He's a good player and will get you some goals vs Burnley and Huddersfield, but there's a reason Arsenal had 0 competition at that price from any of the elite European sides. Massively reliant on pace and an average all round game. Better than Giroud I suppose.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Compared to what was paid for Morata and Lukaku you would think that a proven goalscorer in his prime would be worth 50+m.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Behind Mike Ashley, Kreonke has to be the most malignant owner. How is it that Arsenal have no money?
So new stadium and all the promises is just trash talk? Something Spurs fan should remember too.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
So new stadium and all the promises is just trash talk? Something Spurs fan should remember too.
Not as simple as that unfortunately. The stadium is practically paid for and we have sheds loads of cash on hand (£180 million ish) but our owner is a tightwad.

But you’re correct in a way, having a shiny new stadium is no garantee of free for all spending.

haram

Aubameyang contributes nothing outside the box which just makes Arsenal play even worse.

If a player only has 6 touches of the ball you would think he would attempt to try and get a hold of the ball somehow.

He ended up at Arsenal for a reason.

devlinadl

Not as simple as that unfortunately. The stadium is practically paid for and we have sheds loads of cash on hand (£180 million ish) but our owner is a tightwad.

But you’re correct in a way, having a shiny new stadium is no garantee of free for all spending.
Think it's only £160m, but point taken.

devlinadl

Arsenal are sitting on a huge pile of cash (180M) but the issue is with the Premier League Short Term Cost Control rules that limit the wagebill increase.
I know this is the story being put out, but it make no sense to me. If the problem really is STCC, how can the club afford loans but no permanent transfers? It still has to pay the wages either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
@ShadesOfTomato

A month spent on top of the league and look at the arrogance. This is the reason no neutral wants Liverpool to win the title.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think @ShadesOfTomato is being harsh on Auba but he's definitely a limited player, a deadly goalscorer but outside the box I've not seen him offer much. That's fine though, with 14 in the league what more can you ask for?

haram

I think @ShadesOfTomato is being harsh on Auba but he's definitely a limited player, a deadly goalscorer but outside the box I've not seen him offer much. That's fine though, with 14 in the league what more can you ask for?
Well people slate Lukaku for his work outside the box but Auba is even worse. Does Auba do what Lukaku did last season against Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea? Not a chance. The way Lukaku crosses it against Chelsea or bullies Lovren for the goals against Liverpool? A striker can offer many things and Auba does not offer that much. Also, Arsenal were bullying teams at home without Auba last year so it's not like he makes much of a difference. Certainly, he does nothing to really help the way they play.

Why is he almost 30 and playing at Arsenal?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Well people slate Lukaku for his work outside the box but Auba is even worse. Does Auba do what Lukaku did last season against Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea? Not a chance. The way Lukaku crosses it against Chelsea or bullies Lovren for the goals against Liverpool? A striker can offer many things and Auba does not offer that much. Also, Arsenal were bullying teams at home without Auba last year so it's not like he makes much of a difference. Certainly, he does nothing to really help the way they play.

Why is he almost 30 and playing at Arsenal?
Auba definitely deserves stick for his work outside the box. He's a poacher and that's all, he will offer you a presence in behind and in the box but if you're expecting more than that you're out of luck. He's not going to hold the ball up or drop deep, it's as simple as that. It's why he can get totally lost in games where Arsenal aren't able to push high up the pitch often, he's the invisible man if there isn't any service. That said, his big game record I do think is a lot to do with the fact that Arsenal are struggling as a team on these occasions .. against Liverpool for example he was getting nothing. He's not going to help them get a better grip on games like that for sure, he'll keep waiting for the ball over the top or in to the box.

I do think he's gained them plenty of points over the lesser sides in the league though. Sure, Arsenal were bullying sides like this before but I do feel like they're doing it more consistently now and he's getting important goals. He's definitely making a difference IMO, I might be proven wrong about that but it certainly feels like they're more ruthless against the bottom half than last season and he's a big part of that, a striker who is getting 14 league goals at this stage is a big asset. He's a guaranteed threat who will worry defenders, especially in behind.

He had attitude issues at Dortmund, didn't he? May be why other clubs steered clear. I don't think he could lead the line for a top level, elite club because he's not good enough to be carried by those sort of sides.

haram

Auba definitely deserves stick for his work outside the box. He's a poacher and that's all, he will offer you a presence in behind and in the box but if you're expecting more than that you're out of luck. He's not going to hold the ball up or drop deep, it's as simple as that. It's why he can get totally lost in games where Arsenal aren't able to push high up the pitch often, he's the invisible man if there isn't any service. That said, his big game record I do think is a lot to do with the fact that Arsenal are struggling as a team on these occasions .. against Liverpool for example he was getting nothing. He's not going to help them get a better grip on games like that for sure, he'll keep waiting for the ball over the top or in to the box.

I do think he's gained them plenty of points over the lesser sides in the league though. Sure, Arsenal were bullying sides like this before but I do feel like they're doing it more consistently now and he's getting important goals. He's definitely making a difference IMO, I might be proven wrong about that but it certainly feels like they're more ruthless against the bottom half than last season and he's a big part of that, a striker who is getting 14 league goals at this stage is a big asset. He's a guaranteed threat who will worry defenders, especially in behind.

He had attitude issues at Dortmund, didn't he? May be why other clubs steered clear. I don't think he could lead the line for a top level, elite club because he's not good enough to be carried by those sort of sides.
I do think they are doing better away from home, but then again they were absolutely terrible last year. Their home form last year was still pretty good. 2nd best in the league in fact, 54 goals which was also second best. For comparison Liverpool had 45 goals, City had 61.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I know this is the story being put out, but it make no sense to me. If the problem really is STCC, how can the club afford loans but no permanent transfers? It still has to pay the wages either way.
From what i read, no idea if it's true, but you can bypass the rule.
Let's say Suarez cost 1M in wages: Barcelona pay him. Arsenal pay a loaning fee of 1.5M that covers the wages + a small bonus. This fee doesn't count against the STCC.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Mesut Ozil's new contract was a massive outlay, costing £60m over the span of his contract and pushing the wage bill up. Wenger used to say that new contracts are like new signings and he meant it literally because he was so involved the club's finances. For perspective, Torreira and Guendozi will cost marginally more in fees and wages than Ozil will in wages alone.

Arsenal are not a super club like United, and don't have oil money. They can't just have a 350k player on the bench and get another player in on big wages. They need to get some people off their books.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
The situation looks a bit dire for Arsenal. I think something to look forward to is the Europa League, Emery knows how to win it. There is also no Atletico this year.

The best teams left are Arsenal, Inter, Napoli, Chelsea, Salzburg and Sevilla.

Italian teams have no interest in the Europa and Sarri has no interest in any kind of european competition, he even threw away progress in the CL last year to focus on the league.

Sevilla have a really good manager, but their squad seems weaker than in the other years.

Salzburg is always dangerous, but they are also bottlers when the stakes are high and they lost Haidara - one of their best players - to Leipzig in this winter.

It‘s not an easy field by any means, but the chance is there, especially since many of these teams are on course for an easy top4 finish (Napoli, Inter, Sevilla, Chelsea) and don‘t have the extra motivation to win it for the CL entry ticket.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
It’s not that we haven’t spent money we have been in the top 4 for net spend over the last 5 years so we have been spending. The difference is we have handled transfers poorly by making poor signings and not recouped much in sales because of how badly contracts are handled (Alexis, Ramsey). Critically unlike United who can go from one poor transfer to another and still afford many more, we can’t.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
60m for a nigh on 30 year old flat track bully whom I wouldn't place in the top 5 attackers in the league, and who is more or less anonymous against any decent side.

He's a good player and will get you some goals vs Burnley and Huddersfield, but there's a reason Arsenal had 0 competition at that price from any of the elite European sides. Massively reliant on pace and an average all round game. Better than Giroud I suppose.
Man, you're delusional. Arsenal had no competition at the time because no one big needed a striker,it's as simple as that. You're creating a stupid narrative

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
So everyone who's not world class is average? Okay, then.

Expecting a pacy poacher to contribute to build up play or be a target man or carry a disfunctional team is bizarre.

As for his big game record, even Sanchez in his prime didn't have an exceptional record while playing for Arsenal. He's been here for less than one whole season, and I remember his brace and an assist against Spurs. He also had goals against Bayern and good UCL opponents (Napoli, Madrid, Benfica, a couple of English clubs) while playing for Dortmund.

Funny stat: Salah has only 1 goal against top 6 in the PL so far - the 4th goal in the 5-1 against Arsenal. But I guess you won't call him average, now, would you?

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
So everyone who's not world class is average? Okay, then.

Expecting a pacy poacher to contribute to build up play or be a target man or carry a disfunctional team is bizarre.

As for his big game record, even Sanchez in his prime didn't have an exceptional record while playing for Arsenal. He's been here for less than one whole season, and I remember his brace and an assist against Spurs. He also had goals against Bayern and good UCL opponents (Napoli, Madrid, Benfica, a couple of English clubs) while playing for Dortmund.

Funny stat: Salah has only 1 goal against top 6 in the PL so far - the 4th goal in the 5-1 against Arsenal. But I guess you won't call him average, now, would you?
I see it as an average signing when you consider the price and the age of the player. Do you remember his miss against Brighton a few weeks back too?

The more pertinent point is that Arsenal can't really complain that they haven't spent money when they've spent over 100m on two attackers in the last 18 months, who have ultimately done little to change their fortunes.

Funny stat: Salah also holds the record
for most goals scored in one PL season.

Man, you're delusional. Arsenal had no competition at the time because no one big needed a striker,it's as simple as that. You're creating a stupid narrative
That's not true. If a top player comes onto the market, there will be competition no matter what.

As I said, he's a decent player who will get you some goals but he will be defunct in a year or two once his pace leaves him. Not sure what the transfer strategy is at Arsenal considering the ages of some of the players they're signing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Arsenal would be nowhere near fighting for top 4 if it wasn't for their forward players.

Already saying they only score v likes of Burnley/Huddersfield but both pretty much won the game v Spurs and were also good v Man United (albeit Mourinho led).

Look at Arsenal's keeper, defence and midfield options. Nowhere near as good as those teams above them and their options.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's not true. If a top player comes onto the market, there will be competition no matter what.

As I said, he's a decent player who will get you some goals but he will be defunct in a year or two once his pace leaves him. Not sure what the transfer strategy is at Arsenal considering the ages of some of the players they're signing.
That's completely false. It never works like that. Teams rarely buy for the sake of it, specially when it comes to a striker who costs so much money. Like I said, you're delusional

Fosu-Mens

Look at Arsenal's keeper, defence and midfield options. Nowhere near as good as those teams above them and their options.
True. Their central defence is Jones*3 (Sokratis, Mustafi and Kocs). Makes so many mistakes. And with Xhaka missing on at least 3 simple passes in their own half each game...
And when they start with Gend and Xhaka in midfield they always struggles. That pairing does not work at all.