Arsenal Mania: Brace Yourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerfell

Charlie Nicholas talking on Soccer Saturday about trying to nick Carrick or Schneiderlin off us.
Schneiderlin was such an obvious buy for them, I can't believe they didn't pursue him further. Relying on Coquelin was always going to be a huge risk. Quite nice to see a club other than us not go for the obvious option.

Loon

:lol:
We should take Claude's advice and get our own house in order before looking at others.

diarm

Although I always expect Arsenal to bottle it and am never, ever surprised every time they inevitably do...

... if they can't win this league this year, they're never going to win it again are they?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Might just be me but I think Arsenal are a million miles better than us now. Their squad has a superb balance and selection of players, they just need to add one or two big names and they'll leave us in their dust.

Their performance today, with 10 men, was much better than we are capable of with 11. They'd have beaten us if it was us they were playing.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Might just be me but I think Arsenal are a million miles better than us now. Their squad has a superb balance and selection of players, they just need to add one or two big names and they'll leave us in their dust.

Their performance today, with 10 men, was much better than we are capable of with 11. They'd have beaten us if it was us they were playing.
People have been saying that for a fecking ages now.

They are better than us and play better football. But difference isn't all the big. Get a competent manager and we'll be up there with them.

RedOldBoy

They are better than us and play better football. But difference isn't all the big. Get a competent manager and we'll be up there with them.
Well tbh about half the Arsenal squad would improve ours. Bellerin, Koscielny, Coquelin, Ramsey, Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla and the Ox would be improvements to what we've got.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Yep. A squad always looks worse when it's not being manged well.

Chelsea aren't relegation material either, so I'm not sure why people think we've got a squad full of rubbish players.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well tbh about half the Arsenal squad would improve ours. Bellerin, Koscielny, Coquelin, Ramsey, Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla and the Ox would be improvements to what we've got.
Right now yes but we're comparing them at their best with us at our worst.

RedOldBoy

Yep. A squad always looks worse when it's not being manged well.

Chelsea aren't relegation material either, so I'm not sure why people think we've got a squad full of rubbish players.
We don't. But they are not excellent either.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They're still title favourites in my opinion.

amolbhatia50k

We don't. But they are not excellent either.
Obviously. Our attack, for example, is genuinely is mediocre. But if you're (not you) judging out squad, then also take into account whether you think LVG is not getting out of it as much as he should.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Difference is though that Arsenal's style of play is getting better and better. People might laugh at that result, but considering they always struggle against Chelsea.. this performance was actually an improvement - normally Chelsea absolutely shit all over them, today it was pretty competitive and Arsenal whilst being outplayed comprehensively looked dangerous. They are getting better, despite the fact they remain bottlers of the highest order. Another summer of big signings, and they will keep pulling away from us but a good managerial acquisition and a strong summer, we can definitely catch them up.

RedOldBoy

Obviously. Our attack, for example, is genuinely is mediocre. But if you're (not you) judging out squad, then also take into account whether you think LVG is not getting out of it as much as he should.
Absolutely. LVG is mainly at fault but if we are going to compete for trophies we have to admit some players are not good enough. Rojo, Blind, Herrera, Mata, Darmian, Schneiderlin spring to mind.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I read somewhere they have a tough second half of the season left? Away vs Stoke, Spurs, City, Everton, Man Utd or something like that?

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Goonersworld have their say:

Absolutely pathetic.

f**k off wenger
f***ing HATE CHELSEA. SWEAR EVERY TIMME WE PLAY THESE BASTARDS WE f**k UP.
f**k OFF WENGER YOU UTTER CLOWN
atleast we still have alot of money in the bank thats all that matters at arsenal
All this down to the two clowns: Mertesacker and Wenger
3 "difficult" games 2 points. Gutless performances over those 3 games. we will be 3rd or 4th again and behind Leicester. Joke of a f***ing club.
MERT YOU LANKY f**k I EXPECT YOU TO HANG YOUR HEAD. YOU f***ked YO HARD!!!!
Wenger and his "posse" of Mert, Flam, Arteta, Ox, gibbs OUT
Just f**k off

Closer to 4th than the top...standard
I want to throw my phone at this f***ing projector screen in front of me...

Absolutely hate those blue chav wankers and I hate how they beat us every single time

amolbhatia50k

Absolutely. LVG is mainly at fault but if we are going to compete for trophies we have to admit some players are not good enough. Rojo, Blind, Herrera, Mata, Darmian, Schneiderlin spring to mind.
Don't agree with that.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Difference is though that Arsenal's style of play is getting better and better. People might laugh at that result, but considering they always struggle against Chelsea.. this performance was actually an improvement - normally Chelsea absolutely shit all over them, today it was pretty competitive and Arsenal whilst being outplayed comprehensively looked dangerous. They are getting better, despite the fact they remain bottlers of the highest order. Another summer of big signings, and they will keep pulling away from us but a good managerial acquisition and a strong summer, we can definitely catch them up.
Have you actually watched them play?

Stoke were the better team last weekend and should have won. Newcastle had more chances at the Emirates than Arsenal did. Southampton dicked all over them. Needed an injury time equalizer against a crap Liverpool side.

They're not getting better and better, not by an metric. They're still the same old Arsenal while everyone else around them keeps yo-yo ing.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Away games left: Bournemouth, Man Utd, Spurs, Everton, West Ham, Sunderland, Man City. Ouch, that's tough.

ghagua

Arsenal will once again choke away the league title. If i was a betting man, i would put down some serious money on Leicester winning it this year. They are not going to go away like other smaller clubs do after a good start.

Arytonblue

Emerald Isle (Paddyland for the uncultured swine)
They're still title favourites in my opinion.
How? Leicester are the only team in the top four performing above their station and are actually impressing relative to expectations, everybody else has been utterly average or worse, which makes a game like this look all the worse for Arsenal, even with Chelsea at their absolute worst in ages they still gift them 6 points and look hopeless, this season they have been handed their best opportunity to seriously challenge and they just look like the same old Arsenal of the past decade, hammer the minnows, come up short against decent sides and shit the bed against Chelsea, no improvement. City are 'favourites' by virtue of having a team that actually know how to win a league title despite how poor they've been. Premier League is just average right now.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Have you actually watched them play?

Stoke were the better team last weekend and should have won. Newcastle had more chances at the Emirates than Arsenal did. Southampton dicked all over them. Needed an injury time equalizer against a crap Liverpool side.

They're not getting better and better, not by an metric. They're still the same old Arsenal while everyone else around them keeps yo-yo ing.
I have yes. Everything you described there, is typical Arsenal. It isn't going to change over night, this type of pathetic spinelessness is their trademark.

That said, I have seen improvement from there.. it might not be a massive improvement but it is definitely there. They are still losing these games of course, but the fact they even got a draw v Stoke, got an equaliser v Liverpool. Only lost by a goal today after going down to 10 men, but still piled forward and looked like they might score.. those are minuscule but definitely signs of improvement.

A couple of years back, todays game would have been 4-0 to Chelsea and Arsenal would have passed sideways, backwards and not looked a threat in the slightest. Today they looked in the game throughout but were outclassed, Chelsea had to be very resolute.. it wasn't an easy game for them, they had to work hard for it. By Arsenal standards, that represents progress.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I firmly believe that if you put this Arsenal team back 10 years they would finish fourth is is absolutely no better than they have been for the last decade. The fact they are close to the top tells us far more about the decline of the premier league, in particualr Utd and Chelsea in recent years. If we could have Utd of 08 or Chelsea of 06 in this league they would win it by 20 points no exaggeration.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I have yes. Everything you described there, is typical Arsenal. It isn't going to change over night, this type of pathetic spinelessness is their trademark.

That said, I have seen improvement from there.. it might not be a massive improvement but it is definitely there. They are still losing these games of course, but the fact they even got a draw v Stoke, got an equaliser v Liverpool. Only lost by a goal today after going down to 10 men, but still piled forward and looked like they might score.. those are minuscule but definitely signs of improvement.

A couple of years back, todays game would have been 4-0 to Chelsea and Arsenal would have passed sideways, backwards and not looked a threat in the slightest. Today they looked in the game throughout but were outclassed, Chelsea had to be very resolute.. it wasn't an easy game for them, they had to work hard for it. By Arsenal standards, that represents progress.
That's because Chelsea have gone backwards not the other way around...

RedOldBoy

Don't agree with that.
You might be right. I just think that some players are too limited. Morgan is a good defensive midfielder but limited with poor distribution. Darmian is terrible going forward and Mata is anonymous week after week. Not only that but we seem to have gathered a lot of luxury players with no leadership amongst them and no guts. No one that can take the game by the scruff of the neck and get us through.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is it? I mean does anyone really dread playing Sunderland?
You pick out Sunderland but 5 of those 7 games are against Man Utd, Spurs, Everton, West Ham and Man City. Yes, it's tough.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That's because Chelsea have gone backwards not the other way around...
If you can't see how a team which now has Sanchez and Cech and Bellerin is an improvement on their sides a few years back with Skizzo in goal, Sagna and relying on Walcott as their main wide threat isn't getting better, you must be blind. Not to mention, Ozil actually looks a threat in tough physical games now.

There are still some deep flaws in this team, but objectively they are definitely getting better regardless if the likes of Chelsea have declined in space of 5 months.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
It's showing no sings of changing. Losing only 1-0 against the worst Chelsea side in the last decade is no measure of progress.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Is it? I mean does anyone really dread playing Sunderland?
Most of the year Sunderland are an easy three points I agree, but to be fair the last couple of seasons when they've been in trouble they've done a 'Wigan' and they suddenly turn into a decent side.

13/14 they drew at City and beat Chelsea and ourselves away, whilst in 14/15 they drew at Arsenal and also beat Southampton and Everton.

amolbhatia50k

You might be right. I just think that some players are too limited. Morgan is a good defensive midfielder but limited with poor distribution. Darmian is terrible going forward and Mata is anonymous week after week. Not only that but we seem to have gathered a lot of luxury players with no leadership amongst them and no guts. No one that can take the game by the scruff of the neck and get us through.
It's very easy to say this when a team is being managed badly. We'll only truly find out when a new manager takes over and (hopefully) manages them properly. Before signing for us Schneiderlin was the defensive midfielder we needed, Herrera someone who we saw as an ideal CM for us and Darmian was a good solid right back. Of course not everything is down to tactics, there are some who are letting themselves and us down too without any excuse, however, I'd like to give a lot of the ones you mention a chance under the next manager as everyone tends to look bad when a manager isn't doing well.

Not sure why you've included Blind and Rojo either. Blind has been one of our better players this season, and Rojo has barely played and did pretty well when he did.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How? Leicester are the only team in the top four performing above their station and are actually impressing relative to expectations, everybody else has been utterly average or worse, which makes a game like this look all the worse for Arsenal, even with Chelsea at their absolute worst in ages they still gift them 6 points and look hopeless, this season they have been handed their best opportunity to seriously challenge and they just look like the same old Arsenal of the past decade, hammer the minnows, come up short against decent sides and shit the bed against Chelsea, no improvement. City are 'favourites' by virtue of having a team that actually know how to win a league title despite how poor they've been. Premier League is just average right now.
Sanchez, Coquelin and Cazrola to come back make them favourites IMO. City's defence looks worse than Arsenals, granted City have Kompany to come back. Arsenals attack looks better, Sanchez, Ozil and an in form Giroud with Walcott as very adequate back up and then Campbell.

However such is the state of the league, let's say tomorrow we sacked Van Gaal and got Mourinho in and signed an adequate RW, I'd put money on us to win the league as a long shot.

Basically, its still in a position that any team in the 5/6 who shows some consistency has a chance of winning the league. I just think Arsenal are most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.