Arsenal to investigate themselves over Pepe deal

RyRoc

Very unfair that he’s been written off after 1 season imo - but having said that the instance success of players like Bruno and Pulisic , I can understand why. Nowadays if you cost that kind of money then you’re expected to perform instantly.

United58

10 assists 8 goals in his first season in a very dysfunctional team with 0 creative midfielder. Yes we have overpayed by maybe 10/15M but you'd think we bought Lemar for 200M.
We had to pay more because of no CL and for Lille to accept our payment structure. Can't wait to see Sancho's numbers in his first season. He will undoubtedly get at least double that considering his price tag.
(i like Sancho, calm down)
Saw the white text but Sancho's, 20, Pepe's 25.

I do think Pepe looks a lot better now than back in September and he's playing in a poor team tbf

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
We overpaid for him but I’m pretty happy with Pepe. I don’t think people realise how terrible our midfield was this season, and just how poor we were at building attacks.

On the rare occasions we did play well, Pepe usually had something to do with it. He’ll be better next season too.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Not worried about Pepe at all. First season, different managers and a dysfunctional team. We've seen glimpses of his talent and I have no doubt he will further improve for this upcoming season. People need to calm down. Arsenal will be a better team this year for sure.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not worried about Pepe at all. First season, different managers and a dysfunctional team. We've seen glimpses of his talent and I have no doubt he will further improve for this upcoming season. People need to calm down. Arsenal will be a better team this year for sure.
Based on...?

Amerifan

They will investigate themselves, find themselves guilty then appeal the decision.
Win the appeal, complain that decision was biased, sack some low level guy, then declare the investigation complete.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Based on...?
Based on the fact that after the restart we've been functioning as a team better. The majority of players have also stepped up another level. My guess is that the belief in Arteta is strong.

Traub

It’s probably just an assessment of the internal governance process to ensure any large transfers go through the correct processes and levels before being approved. Large corporates perform internal audits all the time, I’m sure it’s just in line with that process.

Gazza

There's currently a lot of talk on Twitter that Raul Sanhelli is on his way out of Arsenal, possibly this evening. He's the Head of Football. Wonder how true it is and whether there is a link to this investigation?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
10 assists 8 goals in his first season in a very dysfunctional team with 0 creative midfielder. Yes we have overpayed by maybe 10/15M but you'd think we bought Lemar for 200M.
We had to pay more because of no CL and for Lille to accept our payment structure. Can't wait to see Sancho's numbers in his first season. He will undoubtedly get at least double that considering his price tag.
(i like Sancho, calm down)
Yeah he wasn't that bad and I'm fairly confident he'll have proved a lot of people wrong by the end of next season.
I do think it was a pretty insane buy though, especially within the context of the financial situation Arsenal have (or seem to have, I'm not their accountant) and the state of the squad. There are holes all over that Arsenal squad and yet they go out and spend an uncharacteristically large amount on one player.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
In fairness to Pepe, I don't think he's played quite as bad as it's been made out. You can see that he's trying to do the right things but it doesn't always come off. Looks like the type of player that will perform a lot better in his second season after a bit of time to adjust and get used to his team mates. Towards the end of the season, his performances started to look better.
This is a good summary. It is just so easy to say he has been awful. On the whole he has actually had a good season, not brilliant but certainly not awful. Especially in context. First season in new league, playing under 3 different managers for a team who spend almost the entire season in mid table. To then have 18 goal contributions (for a player who supposedly doesn't have much end product) is a very solid start.

I know people will say anyone can look good on YouTube but this is just from this season not years of highlights. It is also no coincidence he was one of our best players in almost any decent result we have had (the wins against City, Man Utd, Chelsea etc). If he can just put it all together he will certainly justify his price tag next season.

macheda14

This is a good summary. It is just so easy to say he has been awful. On the whole he has actually had a good season, not brilliant but certainly not awful. Especially in context. First season in new league, playing under 3 different managers for a team who spend almost the entire season in mid table. To then have 18 goal contributions (for a player who supposedly doesn't have much end product) is a very solid start.

I know people will say anyone can look good on YouTube but this is just from this season not years of highlights. It is also no coincidence he was one of our best players in almost any decent result we have had (the wins against City, Man Utd, Chelsea etc). If he can just put it all together he will certainly justify his price tag next season.
I agree, people calling it a poor transfer haven’t given him enough time. If he manages to transfer over his form for ligue 1 to the prem then he would easily be worth what you paid. However it’s looking like maybe the transfer fees were misappropriated into going towards agents and officials rather than a straight transfer fee. Although I would say that you could argue a 70 million plus player should be expected to be a player to hit the ground running, that’s no fault of his, but just what one would hope for when spending that amount.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's almost like people are surprised a 25 year old who had a great season out of nowhere when no one had even heard of the guy before that isn't as good as his purple patch suggested.

criticalanalysis

Stylistically he would fit quite well in our team.

Winger with pace, ability to carry the ball, holds width, can cut in and can played cultured.

To be honest any traditonal winger would fecking suit our right side now.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
'Investigating themselves.'

Arsenal are run by utter numpties.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Raul Sanllehi has been let go as a result. It's not just concerning the Pepe transfer, the owners weren't happy at how other transfers went down.

The Athletic, ‘Arsenal exceeded the asking price for Bernd Leno and paid €5million above the buyout clause for Lucas Torreira’.

RUCK4444

Raul Sanllehi has been let go as a result. It's not just concerning the Pepe transfer, the owners weren't happy at how other transfers went down.

The Athletic, ‘Arsenal exceeded the asking price for Bernd Leno and paid €5million above the buyout clause for Lucas Torreira’.
How does one pay more than the release clause. We supposedly did that for Fellaini (oh what horrific times they were.)

But it’s strange how it could ever come about. It’s like asking to pay more than the list price on a car in a dealership.:houllier:

JazzG

Resident Arse.
The impression I've got and going by the articles I've read he was using unnecessary intermediaries to get deals done, which as a result was costing the club more money. Tim Lewis has recently become a board member and was bought in by the Kroenke's to make sure there wasn't any waste. He probably has flagged up a few issues which has resulted in him being moved on. The rumours are the Kroenke's want to invest more but want to make sure their money isn't being wasted. I'll believe the investing more stories when I see them actually invest!

He was bought in because he was believed to have many contacts around the world. The whole point was of him was so many agents/intermediaries wouldn't be required!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How does one pay more than the release clause. We supposedly did that for Fellaini (oh what horrific times they were.)

But it’s strange how it could ever come about. It’s like asking to pay more than the list price on a car in a dealership.:houllier:
The Fellaini thing was because the clause expired. Not sure if that is the same in regards to Torreira for Arsenal.

RUCK4444

The Fellaini thing was because the clause expired. Not sure if that is the same in regards to Torreira for Arsenal.
Ah was it. I thought it was some sort of compensation for us leaving it real late in the window to sign him.

Probably the most underwhelmed I’ve felt in a long time. That said he was a good option for us over the years and better than I expected he’d be.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It's possible,, usually when release clause are met, selling club expects money upfront, entire amount. If Arsenal wanted to pay in installments then they can always negotiate bit higher price but more flexibility in payment structure.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
The impression I've got and going by the articles I've read he was using unnecessary intermediaries to get deals done, which as a result was costing the club more money. Tim Lewis has recently become a board member and was bought in by the Kroenke's to make sure there wasn't any waste. He probably has flagged up a few issues which has resulted in him being moved on. The rumours are the Kroenke's want to invest more but want to make sure their money isn't being wasted. I'll believe the investing more stories when I see them actually invest!

He was bought in because he was believed to have many contacts around the world. The whole point was of him was so many agents/intermediaries wouldn't be required!
According to reports at the time, by paying more than the release clause we could spread the cost out and pay in installments. If we only matched the release clause we would have to pay the whole fee in one installment.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Based on...?
Based on the fact they have Arteta and their record since he became manager. They won the FA CUP after the season they had, the guy has worked miracles and they will only get better, a lot better.

I am pretty sure you could have worked out Arsenal will be a better team.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Pepe is really good. Not sure why hes targeted so much (I know why, you know why).

He ripped Luke Shaw apart at the Emirates and was excellent in the FA Cup Final.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Based on the fact they have Arteta and their record since he became manager. They won the FA CUP after the season they had, the guy has worked miracles and they will only get better, a lot better.

I am pretty sure you could have worked out Arsenal will be a better team.
Pepe is really good. Not sure why hes targeted so much (I know why, you know why).

He ripped Luke Shaw apart at the Emirates and was excellent in the FA Cup Final.
You should have Arsenal supporter on your profile given you are an Arsenal fan.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
He’s not a spring chicken either, he’s 25, he should have a level of maturity and consistency at his age.
Robert Pires was older when he signed for us and had a much worse debut season.

8 goals and 10 assists isn't a dreadful return (only Aubameyang produced better overall end product), but of course needs to improve.

But £72m was probably about £25-30m too much.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-club-look-overhaul-recruitment-strategy.html

Arsenal will launch an internal investigation on how/why they agreed to pay 72M for Nicolas Pepe.
Not sure if Stan will whip himself if found guilty :D
The player is not the issue here, the transfer fee is. My feeling is the board may feel fishy about this deal and that's why Raul Sanllehi needed to leave. I am not saying Raul benefit from this deal personally though, but it is definitely fishy to me as well.

Robert Pires was older when he signed for us and had a much worse debut season.

8 goals and 10 assists isn't a dreadful return (only Aubameyang produced better overall end product), but of course needs to improve.

But £72m was probably about £25-30m too much.
There will always be examples to contradict an argument. Clearly difficult to compare across generations, but Pires looked like he was going to be a great player when he was in France, I couldn’t say the same about Pepe.

Only time will tell.