Kick-off
Sun, 3 September 2023 @ 4:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
    This. I don’t blame him in one sense. He’s injured so often it must play on his mind and cause hesitancy and caution. But those aren’t the attributes you want to have in your players. Hojlund needs to be brought on at HT.
    I don't know what mental health work they do at United because it's something that needs to be worked on when you've been out for such a long time and in his case all this stop start. He doesn't trust his body. Honestly, if we had the cover, he really should have played with I don't know, the under 21s and then perhaps in some 'easier' cup games, just to get his confidence up a bit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
    Wan bissaka has been absolutely shit. Either he let's martinelli get in an easy corner or get in an easy cross.
    Martinelli has mostly been forced into having hopeful shots and crossed. Both fullbacks have done well. Midfield cover needed to be better for the goal.

Godfather

Bruno again in absolute no mans land for the entire first half which leaves us without any options in the middle

Samoerai Jack

United the better team by a hair, 1-1 seems fair. 2nd half has been a problem last couple of games so it will be interesting if we can shake that off. Thought Dalot was impressive on the left and what a difference Onana makes in these types of games.

ShinjiNinja26

So frustrating to concede that goal literally just after scoring ourselves. AWB needs to sort his head out, he’s been shite so far. Dalot has looked good and Martial is completely anonymous, the sooner Højlund comes on the better.

DavelinaJolie

Antony looks capable of beating his man, or two of them, but his decision making after just looks bad.

Eriksen has played well, and Dalot.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
    Away from home, not got Amrabat, Varane or Hojlund as starters yet, I'd take a draw here

Kinky Melinky

Martial is retaining and creating nothing when the ball goes up. He's largely anonymous. Hojlund has to start the 2nd half purely so we actually have an option up front.

Swearing Budgie

United the better team by a hair, 1-1 seems fair. 2nd half has been a problem last couple of games so it will be interesting if we can shake that off. Thought Dalot was impressive on the left and what a difference Onana makes in these types of games.
    Top top redding

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
    I don't know why Odegaard wasn't marked for that goal. I mean that's pretty much his area and he always pops up there.

Like how we play though. Pass around the back until everyone of them presses and quickly release the ball to Rashford. Transition !

Hojlund will be more effective in this than Martial.

Maureen-yo

Not really, the slow possession at the back has helped limit Arsenals opportunties, and had they been awake after the goal the tactics would have been very successful, if dull as dishwater.
    This. The tactics are to slow the game down and not let Arsenal build up momentum. Worked until their goal but definitely need to offer more on the counter with Martial needing to be more of a target.

Hughes35

Ball used to stick to his feet like glue. He actually looks like someone whose had too much football :lol: Like a grandad in a retirement league
    Exactly. Looks like a 65 year old ex pro playing in soccer aid that wears knee supports and nobody tackles because they're too old.

fallengt

Even prime Zidane wouldn't shine in this team.
    Club need to do IQ test before signing someone

Hughie77

It's been a decent half for us away from home, don't want to jinx it Antony been pretty good, to many Corners though for them, plenty of the ball and some dodgy tackles from Arsenal that could have been more than yellow.
    Keep the concentration for next 45 and get a winner happy days .. game was better after the goals

SirScholes

Of course. It’s a difficult opponent, so we need to play the best team. Hojlund is much better than Martial, so it’s a no brainer
    Has no experience in the premier league for you to base that off

Dazzmondo

I don't think Arsenal have been threatening so not sure whether ETH will want to change anything. Our midfield haven't seen that much of the ball. Antony's been an outlet and Rashford a couple times including the goal. Martial hasn't been able to cause many problems but tbf we haven't really got the ball up to their box. Not sure Hojlund would really change that. Defence has been very solid. That Arsenal goal was a bad mistake by Eriksen and it's a shame because Arsenal have struggled to have any meaningful shots otherwise

UnitedRepublic

Some people on here think football starts from the front the big problem has been our possesion play and how many times have we’ve just tried shoot the ball up from the back no midfielders who can carry the ball we got big problems. In build up and we take about the front 3 this is not on them today.

miked99

Don't think you can judge any of the attacking players based on lack of output, seeing as we seem unable to pass to any of them. Antony's done well in moments but we aren't creating a platform for any of them to shine.

From what we did show, it feels as if we will have goalscoring opportunities if we can remedy that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    I honestly think we’re watching a different game. If our midfield was where Ten Hag wanted it to be it would be a lot more obvious as to what we’re doing here
    We're not, I am simply tired of this style of football tbh. Not a single one of our midfielders is capable of turning with the ball at the slightest bit of pressure, it's backpassing after backpassing

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Supports
    Also support Vasco da Gama
    Absolutely criminal that Martial has survived yet another transfer window. After this season he'll only be one season away from a testimonial. Not that it means much, since he'll surely be leaving on a free next summer.

Manncunian

I don't know what mental health work they do at United because it's something that needs to be worked on when you've been out for such a long time and in his case all this stop start. He doesn't trust his body. Honestly, if we had the cover, he really should have played with I don't know, the under 21s and then perhaps in some 'easier' cup games, just to get his confidence up a bit.
    I honestly think it’s past the point of no return. He’s too damaged.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Bruno has been a passenger. Not made any impact on the game
    The usual away performance from our captain. He's never part of an imposing midfield that wins the battle in there in the big games…

Doracle

Yeah like the one you wanted to see in Martials feet when he was surrounded by 5 men, where he should have made a run for Antony to pass into, right?
    You mean the one where we had 3 on 2 and Antony passed behind Martial? Martial was in the correct place there, given his lack of pace, as he had a simple pass on to the flying Rashford - had he got a pass in front of him of course.

I don’t dislike Antony and he’s got a lot of qualities to work with. However, he most definitely was not good in that half. Not terrible either but no better than 4/5 out of 10.

Telsim

We are not losing by halftime at Emirates Stadium, so that's a positive half in my books.

But we are absolute trash in possession. Clueless and inert. A blind, deaf donkey could see the missing link between the back and forward lines. Why this wasn't addressed during the transfer window is beyond me. Also, having Lindelof and Martial starting for us in 2023 is just unacceptable.

Bogart-er

Supports
    Arsenal
    I've never seen a United side this content to just pass it at the back

justsomebloke

What a mixed bag half!

Eriksen our best player IMO, not just creating our goal but efficient playing out from the back and generally influential. Rashford as usual a player defined by big moments, what a goal. Dalot started poor, but improved dramatically as the game wore on. Martinez assured. And Antony - showing a lot of graft that actually added up to a pretty good half.

On the other hand....very poor half by Wan-Bissaka - zero offensive contribution, fumbles passes, gets dribbled past. Bruno completely invisible. And Martial completely useless - can't get almost anything right, including the very simple things. Surely he'll be off when they return? Casemiro not bad but not influential either. Lindelof doesn't look very comfortable with Onanas insanely confident style on the ball.

Could go either way this.

Dannn411

Pros: We're keeping the ball. Also, we're not being hammered so at least that's good too.

Cons: We're barely doing anything with it. Just passes around the back then a punt forward. Rinse and repeat. Bruno is not doing his job. He's supposed to be the link and has been MIA once again. We need a real number 10.

always_hoping

Have done alright when you consider it's one of the hardest fixtures in the league. Black spots was conceding so soon after scoring and almost gifting a goal early on.

Gary Neville on mute for the 2nd half is he wearing blinkers watching matches?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
    Martial is tragic. The midfield is clearly not pulling their weight, but they really don’t have a forward to hit.

Walters_19_MuFc

Other than the goal, a mature performance from the boys in the first half. Away from home, in tough games such as this one today, you have to, not only kill the oppositions flow, but also frustrate the crowd, and I believe that's what we've done.

Do we need to create more? Yes, but we've looked a lot more like a team today, and as Rashford showed, all we need is one chance to make a difference.

MrBest

The dreaded second half is here. I think we been okay so far, away from home against genuine title challengers, could be a lot worse, in fact I thought it would be a lot worse.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw