g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Arsenal's squad next season 2015/2016

birdy2121

1. With Cech arriving any day now, how good is that signing?

Hopefully he will be great

2. Can Arsenal challenge?

Depends on who you ask. I've heard Gunners say that we can't improve on our team, that it is not worth it spending 35 million on Cavani when he's just a "marginal" upgrade on Giroud, Coquelin deserves to start. For me its an emphatic No. I love Wenger as a manager but sometimes I feel that the way he thinks about transfers has affected how we as fans view our squad. Giroud might be good, some fans including myself might be too harsh on him but his limitations are there for all to see. He has little pace, no real tricks, he has average hold up play at best and he very rarely creates goals out of nothing (Liverpool at the Emirates being one of few exceptions). The worst part is, when he's bad he's downright awful.

For me its not only about goals scored but style of play. With Giroud as our main striker we only play one way, a way that doesn't get the best out of Ozil or Sanchez due to Giroud's limitations. Our current system is geared towards Giroud specifically but he does not suit our preferred style of play. A new striker without his weaknesses would mean that we could go back to what we do best. I won't be satisfied with putting Walcott up there as he hasn't proven anything in a central role and no one knows if he can even stay fit.

Coquelin is great but the second he gets injured, we're down to Flamini/Arteta who are nowhere near good enough. I know fans like to think we're set in midfield but if those two start for any extended length of time then we are in major trouble.

3. Where do Arsenal improve now?

We might have a big squad but I really think we need to ship out 2 or 3 good to great players to bring in a world class player. For example I would gladly sell Giroud, Welbeck and send Sanogo on loan to bring in Benzema. Similarly I would get rid of Flamini, Arteta and Cazorla if it meant we got a DM. Our squad has too many players as it is. I'm hoping Gabriel comes good so I would leave the defence as is.

Anything less and we're finishing 4th again at best. We're a good team but we need a few additions to put us over the top or at the very least get someone in addition to Coquelin. There are rumors that Arteta won't even play again so we must get someone in. None of our other midfielders have a defensive bone in their body.

4. How good is Sanchez?

The best player at the club and one of the best in England.

I'm not really sure how this comes across but I'm not saying that we have a terrible squad, far from it. I just don't want to see a scenario where on September 3rd Coquelin tears his ACL in training and is out for the rest of the season. Which would lead to Flamini starting or playing three Attacking midfielders in any given match leaving our defense exposed.

That scenario isn't even overly pessimistic, someone at Arsenal is always out for the better part of the season.

It used to be Van Persie, then Rosicky, followed by Ramsey (leg break) and then Wilshere. This year Arteta hasn't played a game since November and Chamberlain has been out for a while as well. I don't want us to lose the league title because we failed to do everything in our power to prepare for the season ahead.
Never get why we have gunners on here? Too much time on their hands me thinks!!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Could really challenge if they pushed the boat out for once in the market. They won't though. Classic wenger, Arsenal could be left behind in 3rd/4th place AGAIN.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
For example I would gladly sell Giroud, Welbeck and send Sanogo on loan to bring in Benzema. Similarly I would get rid of Flamini, Arteta and Cazorla if it meant we got a DM. Our squad has too many players as it is. I'm hoping Gabriel comes good so I would leave the defence as is.
That would be a very stupid thing to do if you ask me. It's not like Benzema is never injured, and who is going to be your main striker then? Only Sanchez and Walcott (if he isn't injured himself) can play up front but they're both not true #9s. With Sanogo already gone, you need an extra striker to add to Welbeck and Giroud. Selling them to buy one world class striker wouldn't be wise, imo.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Benzema's agent had this to say:

"Karim is very happy at Real Madrid and he will be a Real Madrid player by the end of this transfer window, 1,000 per cent," he told Sky Sports News HQchief news reporter Bryan Swanson.

"Karim is not looking to move anywhere this summer."

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The Cech move was completely overblown in my opinion. He hasn't been at his best for a few years, hence being replaced eventually. Courtois is obviously one of the top goalkeepers, but it was never in doubt that he would surpass Cech. Personally don't think he will make that much of a difference for them. They still have a brilliant midfield, and a fantastic bunch of creative flair players which will no doubt win them a lot of games. Think it's consistency that will hurt them and the defence.
Cech was the best gk in the league in 2013/2014 season. He only loss his place to Courtois the year after, who is best gk in La Liga and much younger, and behind De Gea, who become truly worldclass and probably 2nd best gk in the world last season.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Shaw is a far, far more superior talent than Chambers. He'll be easily amongst the league's best left backs if he can remain fit.
Not a chance he's a 'far superior' talent. Let's see how this plays out.

Moonred

It's a bit too early in their respective careers to say one is "far far superior" than the other.
Why not, you can be far superior than the other irrespective of what stage of career you are in. If it's truly the case is the subject of the debate.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Why not, You can be far superior than the other irrespective of what stage of career you are in. If it's truly the case is the subject of the debate.
Because they haven't played enough games at this point. Both are highly rated young 20 year old defenders. Shaw might be better but saying he is "far far superior" is premature.

Moonred

Because they haven't played enough games at this point. Both are highly rated young 20 year old defenders. Shaw might be better but saying he is "far far superior" is premature.
To conclude that Shaw will be a far far superior player over the next decade is premature. But to say at this stage, Shaw is a far superior talent can be justified. Anyway, I get what you mean.

AshfordLad

Shaw is a far, far more superior talent than Chambers. He'll be easily amongst the league's best left backs if he can remain fit.
Shaw is not far far superior. He has just had more opportunity and game time but Chambers is a very good as well. arsenal getting him for half the price of Shaw is a great deal.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's a bit too early in their respective careers to say one is "far far superior" than the other.
There's nothing wrong in saying that he's a better talent than Chambers. I don't know how they'll develop but the potential is clear.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Shaw is not far far superior. He has just had more opportunity and game time but Chambers is a very good as well. arsenal getting him for half the price of Shaw is a great deal.
And there's a pretty good reason for that.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I thought I didn't need white text.
:lol: Sorry, so many people over the years had him down as some sort of great that I forgot that there are people who actually rate him accurately.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Benzema's agent had this to say:

"Karim is very happy at Real Madrid and he will be a Real Madrid player by the end of this transfer window, 1,000 per cent," he told Sky Sports News HQchief news reporter Bryan Swanson.

"Karim is not looking to move anywhere this summer."
Just games. He's ours.

Rafateria

He's a good prospect but he really isnt at the level where he is a mainstay in the side, I think because you've lacked a proper defensive midfielder for so long he's seemed better than he actually is. Schneiderlin is a more accomplished defensive midfielder in pretty much every way at the moment and wouldve made a big difference to your side. In today's market £25mil really isn't extortionate for a class midfielder.
Just because a player is young doesn't mean he is just 'a prospect'. Coquelin looks like the real deal to me and that's how he played the 2nd half of last season. Of course he can improve further, but he's no longer 'just a prospect'.

Rafateria

The scouts/ management are very excited about Gabriel, though he plays far more like Koscielny than Per. This season probably decides if we need a Mertesacker replacement (i.e. a defensive leader), or if Kos/Gab and a high line are going to be the defensive tactics for the next few years.
Yes, you do need a Mertesacker replacement. Regardless of his other qualities running like he's stuck in mud costs you far too often.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Just because a player is young doesn't mean he is just 'a prospect'. Coquelin looks like the real deal to me and that's how he played the 2nd half of last season. Of course he can improve further, but he's no longer 'just a prospect'.
Agreed but I still feel in this case he isn't the full package yet, there's a reason why he was sent out on loan to Charlton and was only recalled because of Arsenals injury crisis. He's only a year younger than Schneiderlin anyway.

::sonny::

They can win the league

They improved a lot

Gk: Cech top class gk

Def: Lucky to find solid players like Bellerin and Monreal.
Koscielny improved a lot

Mid: Coquelin is a good DM, the rest is over the top:
Chamberlain, Ozil, Ramsey, Cazorla, Arteta, Rosicky, Wilshere...

If they sign a striker of +20 goals a season, they have a team with few weak points.

RooneyLegend

Having Cazorla in midfield is a hazard, we all know he can't defend and I'm pretty sure most of the teams going against him next season will target his side of the midfield.

Wenger needs to commit to a 3 man midfield in order for them to become an elite team again. They days where 2 man midfields could hold their own are long over, especially in europe. He needs to realise that having Ozil as the 3rd player in midfield basically means their are only 2 midfielders. If those mids are coquelin and Cazorla, then they'll be shipping in goals as usual.

In theory Wilshere, Cazorla, and Coquelin should work. However the english future star is as injury prone as they come. Replace him with ramsey the technical skill of that midfield drops and having Coquelin there doesn't allow that to happen with no consequences.

------Sanchez----Giroud-----------
---------------Ozil-------------------
------Wilshere-Cazorla-----------
-------------Coquelin---------------

Would work a treat imo however you'd think cazorla and Giroud can be easily improved in that scenario.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I'd just like to say that I'm very grateful to Wenger for fecking off that stupid cock Szczęsny to Roma.

Havak

Pokemon master
If Arsenal signed a big name striker who you'd expect to bag 25 in all competitions, along with maybe a centreback and a more disciplined defensive midfield player, then I think they would be genuine title contenders for the first time in ages. Maybe Wenger will prove us wrong and they'll put up a good fight without any more major buys, but I'd doubt it right now and the track record of them doing that over recent seasons usually ends in them falling away.

I don't think Cech alone is enough to make up the 12-15 points on Chelsea from last season as they'll be of similar strength. Arsenal should take this opportunity to sign a few big players and have a real push, I feel for the fans as I'm sure most would be saying the same thing. Even if they failed to win the title it wouldn't be a disaster if they spent over £100m in a transfer window (though I think they can get away with a net spend of as little as £70m and have a real go at it).

Just my opinion, but sticking with this current squad feels like they're just settling for top four still. With the amount us and Liverpool have spent on filling out the squads and improving the first team, Arsenal can't afford to stand still... Especially if City buy a few more big players like you'd expect them to if they want to take the title off Chelsea.

HabeasC

Never get why we have gunners on here? Too much time on their hands me thinks!!
Also if you look at some of the opposition forums (Rawk, bluemoon) you'd see how good redcafe is in comparison. The only other one that I rate is theshedend. Haven't had much experience of arsemania though.

Also it's good to have oppo fans on here too.